PDA

View Full Version : Returning to hamsterism after 25 years

DaveCollins
02-08-2017, 05:54 AM
Hi I'm Dave and I'm new here, returning to hamster ownership with a golden Syrian who is quite the little oddball. I have a few questions that I hope you all can help me with.

Pebbles82
02-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Hello and welcome. We have a Syrian - after not having a hamster for about 30 years! Quite a bit has changed I found - for the better - so much more knowledge about these little creatures and their diet and needs and so on :-) What way oddball lol? Sounds interesting. I am guessing it's a girl? They seem to be the oddball ones lol.

Fire away - you may get a few varying opinions on some things but lots of help with anything you might need. I think most people would agree that Zooplus is a good place to get a cage - they have a good range for Syrians and they're not too expensive - plus free shipping. Our Syrian has the Barney cage from Zooplus.

Are you in the Uk? If not - ignore the bit about Zooplus :mad: Harry Hamster (or Hazel Hamster - same formula) is a good bet for a balanced sugar free hamster mix. And a bit of broccoli, cucumber or carrot every day goes down well. (Every 2 or 3 days at first until their stomachs get used to it). Just a small piece 1cm cube sized - of any shape obviously but just a guide to size. Loads of substrate and torn up strips of plain white toilet paper for nesting.

When we got Charlie over 2 and a half years ago I went out and bought a "large" Rotostak 3 tier set up - because that's what we had 30 years ago. I soon upgraded him to a better cage - the ventilation is terrible and they're too small (Rotostaks) - our hammy years ago free ranged so maybe he coped ok with it back then.

Drago
02-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Hello and welcome! 25 years sure is a long time to go ham-less, I certainly would not be able to do it. Serendipity's post is filled with great info so definitely take their advice! If you've got any more questions, ask away, everyone will be happy to answer

cypher
02-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Hi & welcome to HC :)

Lots of things, well almost everything will have changed since you last kept hams but I'm sure you'll find all the answers you need here.

SweetPeaHammy
02-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Hello and welcome!

BorisPasha
02-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Hello and welcome to HC, looking forward to hearing about your hamster :)

InkyPen
02-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Hello and welcome! Do ask any questions you've got - I've always found it to be a very helpful forum!

SKB_Hamsters
02-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Hello and welcome to hamster central

Missy_Crane
02-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Hi and welcome back to the darkside :P

Looking forward to hearing about your little oddball. I find the weirder they are, the cuter they are!

Thin Lizzy
02-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Hiya Dave and welcome to HC. A lot has changed in 25 years and well you've come to the right place for information/advice.
What's your hamster called?

cobden28
02-11-2017, 01:17 AM
I too am returning to hamster ownership after not owning one since the late 1970's . Realised last year how much I missed having a hamster to share my home with, so I adopted Hamster (that's her name) from our local RSPCA.

DaveCollins
03-11-2017, 03:03 AM
Well it seems after a few weeks of lunacy and tantrums from "Waffles" it has been discovered that a more suitable cage was the answer. I now have a very sociable and happy hamster with thanks for the info from this forum and my local animal rescue centre

cypher
03-11-2017, 04:03 AM
Good to hear Waffles is a happy ham now, looking quite adventurous there!

Rads
03-11-2017, 05:37 AM
Greetings Dave from another Dave also in Cambridgeshire, welcome to the good ship HC you don't have to be mad to be here but it helps...:-)
Pip says hi to Waffles and waves a paw

BorisPasha
03-11-2017, 05:43 AM
Aww Waffles looks lovely, love her name too :D Welcome to HC :)

Thin Lizzy
03-11-2017, 06:31 AM
Aww those pics are adorable, especially the first one, waffles has a cheeky cute face.