PDA

View Full Version : Bright red blood

Sazzle
12-12-2016, 01:49 AM
Hello everyone.

I posted on here about my little boy (Ricky) back in September and since then he's been doing really well. However, last night I was really alarmed to see some fresh blood after he had done a wee in his corner. I examined him and he looks fine. He seemed interested in the blood so I removed the shavings and kept an eye on him for a bit.

In himself, he seems really well! Running around, wanting to go in his ball, eating and drinking as normal etc.

When I got up this morning, I can see he has been his usual self and has found his treats and I could see that he'd done another wee that wasn't bloody. He's been up to say hello and again, seems his usual bright-eyed self.

So, I just wanted advice really from anyone with any experience of this. Do you think it'll resolve itself being as he seems in good health otherwise? He was traumatised when I took him to the vet last time so if I can let him get better on his own I'd rather. Obviously if it gets worse I will take him, but I just wondered if anyone had had a hamster bleed and recover okay. It seems odd because he seems really well!

He's a Syrian - 1 year & 4 months old.

Thank you. X

cypher
12-12-2016, 04:29 AM
It can be worrying if they get stressed out going to the vet but any sign of blood isn't good & should really be checked out even if he seems fine in himself.

Hammy992
12-12-2016, 06:11 AM
I agree with Cypher. It isn't good for blood to be coming out in his urine, even once. The problem with prey animals as many have mentioned on other threads is that they are very good at disguising their illnesses and injuries until they are feeling extremely poorly.
Just like with people, animals can have illnesses with symptoms that come and go which makes it hard to monitor at home, especially if he isn't showing any other signs of discomfort. At least if he is given a checkup you will have peace of mind knowing that everything's ok.

Sazzle
12-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Thank you both for replying. I will give the vet a call I think and see what he's says. His wee is back to normal though now. Very odd.

cypher
12-12-2016, 09:08 AM
It is odd, are you sure it was blood? Not anything in the cage, food or otherwise that could have made a stain or something?
If he's ok now just keep a close eye out for any more signs of blood.

Sazzle
12-12-2016, 09:41 AM
I thought that, but it appeared after I saw him wee so I guess it must be from there. It was a bit sticky. I've kept the sawdust in case I need to show it to the vet. I'm going to watch him tonight and call in the morning if there's any more sign of anything. Thank you.

Sazzle
12-14-2016, 12:43 PM
So, Ricky has had another trip to the vet. I decided I couldn't risk just leaving it in case he needed any treatment. He weed in his ball and it didn't have any blood but was really smelly so I thought he needed to be checked.

The vet thinks he may have a UTI but she also game him a good check over too. He's going to take baytril for a week and I've gotta try and get a sample!! Eek! He seems fine in himself still, but I feel better now I've taken him. Guess it's always the best idea!

Thanks for your advice.

cypher
12-14-2016, 10:17 PM
It does sound like a UTI, hope he gets better soon now he has the meds, hopefully one course will do the job but sometimes they need more than one course so don't worry if it doesn't clear up straight away, fingers crossed it will though!
The best way to get a sample is just to put them in a completely clean plastic bin for up to 15 minutes, they generally pee in that amount of time but if not take him out & try again later.

Sazzle
12-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Thank you Cypher. I thought he might go for a wee in his ball as he sometimes does, but he didn't tonight. He seems really lethargic and siding want to play so I'm going to leave him in peace for tonight.

He drank quite a bit of the water with the baytril in last night so maybe he's feeling a bit weird on that. I'll be keeping an eye on him.

Thanks for your advice & support.