PDA

View Full Version : Carefresh Alternative?

Cocothesyrian
12-10-2016, 06:05 AM
Im looking for something that is similar to carefresh but it less expensive? doesn't have to be colourful or anything, but i have to be able to buy it on the uk amazon or pets a home.

Thanks in advance :)

SKB_Hamsters
12-10-2016, 06:14 AM
I would recommend Fitch you can buy it from Amazon or direct from their website (which works out cheaper) - I switched from carefresh to Fitch and it is such a great substrate, virtually no dust, soft and inexpensive however it does come in a large bags so a little more difficult to store (10kg, 15kg or 20kg bags). The 10kg bag lasted 4 to 6 month when I had a 80 x 50cm cage.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitch-Paper-Bedding-Small-Animals/dp/B009MXHIOM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481375526&sr=8-2&keywords=Fitch
https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fitch-pet-store/rabbit-guinea-pig-hamster/bedding/single-smaller-bale-for-smaller-critters-10kgs-12-99-inc-delivery.html

cypher
12-10-2016, 06:19 AM
I'll second that!
I've tried many substrates over the years & Fitch is by far the best, economical, virtually dust free & the hams love it.
I mix mine with hemp for a bit of variety & better burrowing but it works fine on it's own.

AmityvilleHams
12-10-2016, 06:19 AM
I definitely agree about Fitch :) It's the best UK option,much cheaper than Carefresh especially for the amount.The value is similar to something like wood shavings,but it is much safer.It is completely safe,it can't cause any allergic reaction like wood or hemp and it is as mentioned far less dusty than Carefresh so it is a lot better for delicate respiratory systems(and humans with allergies too!).

flowerfairy
12-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Fitch is wonderful all soft and cosy. I love the stuff.

Coco61
12-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Fitch in use here too. Only need to add some plain white toilet paper to the fitch in the house for variety to weave into the nest. Great value.

chesca_27
12-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Definitely Fitch! I have it in Larry-Jasper's cage at the moment, because I brought some from my Mum's house. I bought it for my piggy Oreo and he love it. A 20kg bag lasts me about 3-4 months for Oreo. He has a 120cm by 60cm cage with about an inch of bedding and is cleaned weekly, so it lasts AGES.

Almost no dust and is very soft and absorbent.

Cocothesyrian
12-11-2016, 03:46 AM
How long does it take to be delivered when ordered from their website? definitely making the change now :)

SKB_Hamsters
12-11-2016, 03:52 AM
My bags normally take 3 to 4 days to arrive when I order it direct

Cocothesyrian
12-11-2016, 04:00 AM
My bags normally take 3 to 4 days to arrive when I order it direct

Thank you just ordered it I'm excited to try it!

huri ur
12-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Is Fitch available in the us ?

AmityvilleHams
12-11-2016, 09:41 PM
It isn't available in the US,but in the US the best option is Kaytee Clean and Cozy.This is pretty much dust free in my experience as well as from what lots of others have experienced,and it is supposed to be a recycled paper product as well last I checked :) It is extremely good,but I'd recommend sticking to the white version and of course the scented versions cannot be used,but there are a few colored varieties and as long as you make sure they aren't scented they can be good for variety.

huri ur
12-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Ok cause my hamster is on kaytee clean and cozy natural ( no not scented )
And also a 40 % on aspen ( the substrates are mixed )

Hammy992
12-13-2016, 01:16 PM
I have heard only great things about Fitch. May have to try some myself as I use Carefresh but I think it's too dusty, my hamster sneezes frequently in his cage, particularly after a clean or if he's digging. He isn't sick so he must just be sensitive to the bedding.
Can the sneezing cause harm or is it more similar to human hay fever?

AmityvilleHams
12-13-2016, 02:21 PM
The sneezing itself isn't bad if it doesn't happen often,but it is a good indicator of potential underlying problems including allergies or of course too much dust.

SKB_Hamsters
12-13-2016, 05:48 PM
I have heard only great things about Fitch. May have to try some myself as I use Carefresh but I think it's too dusty, my hamster sneezes frequently in his cage, particularly after a clean or if he's digging. He isn't sick so he must just be sensitive to the bedding.
Can the sneezing cause harm or is it more similar to human hay fever?

If your hamster is sneezing a lot then the dust may be bothering him. As my Sherbet started sneezing really bad when she had carefresh as her substrate - she got quiet distressed sneezing frequently and once she was on Fitch she didn't sneeze at all.
I can't fault Fitch at all - it's is such a good substrate - Sherbet and now Pumpkin definitely like it to.