PDA

View Full Version : Screaming In Sleep

LRedfloss1
11-04-2016, 08:51 AM
This afternoon my 12 month (approx) old Syrian hammy scared us when he started making loud screeching noises, apparently in his sleep. We got him out of bed and he stopped and seemed to wake up, I examined him, there was no sign of injury or anything out of the ordinary. He could walk normally and even climbed the arm of the sofa like he enjoys doing, I gave him some food which stuffed in his cheeks before peacefully going back to his bed. Has anyone else had this experience with their hammy? Was it nothing more than a bad dream?

Juliebrei
11-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Ive seen my syrian move in his dreams, like he was running or something. a bit like dogs do, and our ww hybrid sometimes gets mad at something in her cage and screeches at that, but thats fully awake.

climber008
11-04-2016, 09:29 AM
My girl (almost 2) does this all the time. She is always in a super deep slumber, and she'll start making blood-curling screeches that seem to prickle the hairs on my skin. However, she is always fine and unharmed after she wakes up.

I think this is just a normal behavior that some hamsters will do. My girl doesn't make this noise often, but it does seem perfectly natural. It may be due to a bad dream where they felt that they were threatened.

But whatever the cause for this noise, I think your hammy should be fine, as it doesn't sound like anything else but a fit of nightmares.

Rads
11-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Pip snores/snorts when she is waking up it is quite funny, no screeching yet though

LRedfloss1
11-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, that has really put my mind to rest!