PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Gordon and Derrick!

Carla Gordon and Derrick
10-19-2016, 02:35 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum having recently welcomed Gordon and Derrick the robo hamsters to my little family :D

I'm Carla, I'm 26, work as a marketing manager for a tech consultancy, and live in London with my boyfriend (aka HamsterDad as much as he hates that name now haha).

Totally in love with these two little boys. Looking forward to picking your brains for tips on looking after them!

Thanks,
Carla

P.S. Gordon is the whiter one eating kiwi, and Derrick has some more brown fur and is drinking from his water bowl!

flowerfairy
10-19-2016, 04:33 AM
Aww they are beautiful. I love roborovskis. I have two. Sisters. They fell out after a couple of weeks with me but are now happily separate.

Look forward to seeing updates about Gordon and Derrick.

cypher
10-19-2016, 05:10 AM
Welcome Carla, Gordon and Derrick :)

Congrats on your boys they are adorable, look forward to seeing more of them!

It does look as though you may need to make the water a bit easier to access, either try to find something smaller & shallow with low sides or switch to a bottle, or two with a pair.
I know the big green shop seem to give all their hams kiwi these days for some unknown reason but it really isn't good for them, too acidic, it's better to stick to safe veg & only give fruit of any kind are a rare treat really.

Carla Gordon and Derrick
10-19-2016, 06:01 AM
So I usually give them Harry Hamster as their food and scatter feed them, and they have a water bottle but Derrick has recently decided not to use it so I gave him a little water bowl yesterday and he seemed much happier. I'm replacing the water bottle with one he'll use though :)

The kiwi was a treat as a one-off yesterday. I'll try some safer fruit and veggies as a treat though :D
So lucky to have such cute little hamster friends! Hopefully they don't fight, but we have an 'emergency' smaller cage in case they do so we can separate them quickly until we get a second bigger cage.

Thanks for the tips :) xx

pinkneon
10-19-2016, 06:20 AM
They're adorable!!

BorisPasha
10-19-2016, 07:13 AM
Welcome to HC, your two boys are very cute :)

badwolf
10-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Oh they're both adorable! I might have to hamnap Gordon though <3

Josie
10-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Welcome to HC Carla, Gordon and Derrick, your two boys are very cute, look forward to seeing more of them :cool:

Thin Lizzy
10-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Hi Carla and Welcome to HC, congratulations on Gordon & Derrick, they're so beautiful!
Gordon so made me laugh with him on his bowl and Derrick looked so sweet on his water bottlr.

Carla Gordon and Derrick
12-12-2016, 07:48 AM
I just wanted to share an update on life with Gordy & Derrick.

They're settled into their cage well. We've got rid of all the shelves in their cage as a few squabbles started, and since then there have been no fights or signs of them!

They are so adorable together and Derrick wants to copy everything Gordon does. If Gordon's running, Derrick wants to run on the same wheel, when Gordon moves to a new place to sleep, Derrick follows him etc. And luckily Gordon doesn't seem to mind at all!

They have a wooden house, a plastic house, a snuggly pouch, and two water bottles each with a hidey hole underneath, but for some reason they've decided to burrow under their wheel this week and make their new nest there. Typical way to snub mum haha!

For little robos they are doing so well at only a few months old! They will happily sit on my hand and have a seed, and even like trying to climb my arm. Derrick has picked up a habit of occasionally wetting himself when he's sitting on HamsterDad's hand too which is so cute in a gross way. He'll look a bit nervous, wet himself, and then move to sit on a different part of the hand to not get his fur wet, before having a little sand bath :')

Cinnamon Bear
12-12-2016, 09:18 AM
They sound so fun and they are really cute :)
I have 3 robos, 2 are fairly tame and one is a rescue who I doubt will ever be close to being tamed. I've had her a month and a half and she still won't take a treat from my hand. She runs away in fear when she gets close to the treat in my fingers.

So for a pair of robos, sounds like you are doing a great job with them! Congrats! Glad that removing the shelves stopped the trouble. Hope all continues to go well, just have to keep a close eye on them as I'm sure you know :)

Thin Lizzy
12-15-2016, 01:54 AM
What a lovely happy update on Derrick & Gordon . They sound so adorable.