PDA

View Full Version : Harry Ham or P@h???

Le Lo
08-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Write I fed my last Hammy boy Harley on Harry Hamster for all of his ni on four years of life.
But then when I got my new Hammies I read up that Harry is not a good food to feed as it has some ingredient that is bad for them. So I started feeding them Pets at home Museli and have now read that that has loads of suger in it and is not good.
Im thinkin to changin them back to Harry. Any oppions????????????????

leafpool14
08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
hey le lo, i would recommend that you dont keep changing food brands as it can upset your hammies stomach and produce something very unpleasant at the bottom end :(

I myself feed my dwarfs p@h muesli as it contains real banana flakes (cheap way of giving hamsters a treat) and the sunflower seeds in the mix are smaller and in less quantities than the harry hamster mix.

I think its also better value for money, but i wouldnt worry too much about the nutritional value as hamsters need quite a bit of sugar to sustain their energy levels, they can run quite a distance in their wheels overnight!

souffle
08-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi Lelo
We have always fed Harry and have never had any problems with tummy trouble. It is the only food to contain prebiotics to support a healthy gut.
From time to time Supreme have changed the formula slightly and the packaging but bye enlarge the contents remain more or less the same.
You may have read about ethoxyquin in supreme foods but there is no mention of this being included in the UK food. It may be in the American mix I don't know for sure though.
P@H mix does contain a lot of hidden sugars which can cause problems particularly for dwarf hamsters who are prone to diabetes.
Most commercially produced mixes do offer a balanced diet and the choice as to what suits your hammies is down to personal preference really :)

Le Lo
08-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Souffle. I posted on here and not on HH as I thought this site was more UK based.

Anyways yeah its for Amy and Wersal and I do give Teeny and Tiny it (my Robos) but I know that thats not recommended (So Iv read). Im tryin to find somewhere local to me that sells the specific(sp?)Dwalf food. Think Im gona go in to my local Petshop and ask them to start ordering it in for me cos on the web u have to buy it then pay shippin/postage extra.

I did get an absolutly huge bag of the P@H for like £4/5 (if I remember writely, ??) but I think Im slowly gona change them over to Harry.

I also read that America has this rule where that EVERY ingredient has to be listed where they dont here so maybe its just not listed on the igredients. But Im also thinkin that like I said Harley lived to about 4 years old on it. So he did excellent, LoL. Its soo confusing, LoL :lol:

fluffymunchkins
01-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Yh 4 years is excellent :D
I feed my ham harry hamster and i think its the best. For one its availible like everywhere near me and i like the look of it compared to other foods. I have tryed Wagg hamster, gerbil, mouse munch (which isn't suitable for all, even though they say it is) and i hate it, cause its only availible in like one place not so near to me and is way to colourful for my liking.
Another plus of harry hamster is that it contains the stripy sunflower seeds not the smaller black ones (like wagg and others contain) The stripy ones are much better as they contain less fatty oils.
Also hh contains pumpkin seeds amd my ham eats more of the ingredients from hh, appart from those black stick things.
lol soz for all my describing, i don't know the names of these things.:mad: