PDA

View Full Version : Long time lurker, first time poster.

raynebowranger
09-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Hello All,

I'm Raynebowranger and my fluffy bundle of joy is called Bertie. He's a Syrian and I have had him since late August - not exactly sure how old he is, like the silly goose I am I forgot to ask the pet store both when I reserved him and when I picked him up. He was still caged with another litter mate at the store.

He is a fat little potato, he had his first weigh-in today and was a whopping 197g.

Today is also the day his new cage arrived so he's been upgraded to an Alaska cage and a 28cm Trixie wheel - a vast improvement on his small previous cage which I shall probably use filled with sand for play times. So far there has been no bar biting in the Alaska, here's hoping it stays that way. The last few days waiting for it to arrive have been a nightmare. His little nose the fur is all skewiff. Here's hoping more space, a bigger wheel and more toys give him the entertainment outside of play time he needs.

He is the second hamster I've had the pleasure of owning - the first was many moons ago back when hamster care was lacking and there was little in the way of internet for researching.

It was love at first sight with Bertie. I only went into the pet store to see how much hamsters cost these days and start getting the necessary supplies. And there he was. Cutest bundle of joy. I ended up reserving him on the spot to pick up the next week once everything was set up at home.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing Bertie's journey.

MeganAndMisty
09-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Hello, welcome to HC! :) Bertie is the cutest little thing, before I got Miranda I was originally going to get a male and call him Bertie. It's such a cute name and it definitely fits him!

pinkneon
09-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Hi and welcome! Bertie is SO sweet!!!! :D

flowerfairy
09-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Eeep Bertie is lovely. He looks just like my first ever hamster, Horace. That broccli picture is wonderful.

raynebowranger
09-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome, lovelies.

I didn't even think too hard on his name. Once I saw him I knew he was a Bertie right away. Occasionally Bertie Bo Bertram the First, Bo Bert or Mama's Fat Potato.

My previous hamster was mostly white except for dark ears and a tuft of dark fur on his back. I named him Snowstorm and then regretted not giving him a different name.

But Bertie's name came to me as soon as I saw his adorable face.

Cinnamon Bear
09-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Bertie is adorable. That's great you could reserve him for a week. The pet stores around me won't do that. They won't even hold one for an hour. It's first come first serve. I once looked at a robo that I was considering buying but I stepped away from the cage while waiting for an employee to come buy and a little girl with her grandma was there all ready to pick one out. So I lost my place in line I suppose unless I said I'm getting that one which I couldn't do. That little girl was so cute all dressed up as a ballerina. She picked out her Critter trail cage and was all ready to buy one.

cypher
09-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Welcome raynebowranger & Bertie :)

Bertie really does have the cutest little face!