PDA

View Full Version : Gypsy isn't getting pregnant

i-love-paddy
11-13-2005, 05:00 AM
I have been trying for AGES.

She is 6 months in December so running out of time. She wont accept Byron even though she is on heat and freezes-as soon as he mounts she attacks. I gave it another try on Monday and Byron managed one proper attempt then she really bite him-it was so quick but got him out in time.

She is a really pretty hamster that has done so well in the shows yet she isnt interested in any male. So it seems she wont ever have pups because I cant risk putting any male in the breeding cage. I have followed the advice from friends in the fancy to no avail. She is definately on heat when i try as she freezes and her bottom goes up.She might let Byron lick her but thats it. So I dont know,feel a bit down now Ive checked again and she is on heat today.

I really want to continue to breed and improve my lines and maybe one day even get a Best In Show. I have lent Padster out to a friend who has a cinnie female with the understanding that any pups born we will go 50/50. I really want to continue and improve Paddy's line.

So feel a bit yeuk today, as well as Daisy still being poorly looks like she will need that op :(

babyboos
11-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Is Byron a proven stud - he may be too young, inexperienced, and just not hitting the mark? If you are keen to breed with her maybe see if anyone can loan you a stud male - older then Gypsy and experienced in the ways of female hamsters....

flogging_molly
11-15-2005, 04:01 PM
older then Gypsy and experienced in the ways of female hamsters....

I love that ;) experienced in the ways of the female hamster :lol:

But yeah Morag's right, maybe another hamster could prove a little more procreative?

Pendragon
11-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Most books and experts recommend a special breeding cage, but when Sterling was very young the novel surroundings put him off. I had/still have a lovely Silver Grey girl who was getting a bit older and desperately needed a litter, but had no suitable male for her, so when Sterling arrived from his breeder, 6 weeks old, I was keen to get him, er... active... as soon as possible!

Kim is a huge hamster - 275g - and it actually took him over a month to grow big enough to climb on top! Sadly she didn't have a litter, but in the meantime he had a lot of practice trying, in his own cage.

Now he will only "service" a girl in his own tank, which is fine by me, it's obviously what he's become used to. I wouldn't try that any other of my boys.

It's as well to think the boys can have preferences too... and maybe the girls... for some, the surroundings may not be quite right. But I would not recommend trying something different unless you are quite experienced in the ways of Syrians...!

I do have a black LH banded boy - Albert Einstein - who carries Cinnamon (well, the p gene) and is sooooo laid back.... great temperament. He has already sired a litter and comes from nice lines, you are welcome to borrow him if you'd like to try another male?

i-love-paddy
11-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Ah,thanks Sue.

Byron is 7 months and you could say he is erm not very experienced.

I will pm you sue

baby_hamsters2006
01-26-2006, 01:29 PM
i have the same problem with one of my sets of dwarf hamsters they mate but she dont get pregnant and they have been breeding sence 08-21-05 ...and shes 6 months and he's 7...

i-love-paddy
01-26-2006, 01:37 PM
ive given up with gypsy

ive tried her quite a bit with padster-whose quite an expert with the ladies but shes not having it!!!

Skwee
01-26-2006, 04:39 PM
hmmmm :? these ladies eh! :?

we found that in the cage the hamsters because far more interested in their surroundings!! oooh new cage to explore!!! so we found they are easier to seperate or reposition :roll: :twisted: if need be (younger males seem to think the ears are where it goes) :lol:

So the bed is where it all happens :wink: but it is generally easier to keep an eye on them... constantly.... they all have been on the bed to run about before but non of them think of it as their territory... and generally they aren't there for long... although i do think half an hour was a *little* excesive of Sonny!

But with the younger males, it was easier to set them straight when they weren't able to find the right way to go about it :oops: and when they got bored because they couldn't get it right and decided the sucking or chewing ears would be more fun...

souffle
01-27-2006, 04:37 AM
We use a plain vegetable box, one of those big flat tray ones you get with lettuces in at the supermarket. If she freezes and then turns try again another hour later. She may be ready now. If you keep stroking the females head while the male takes care of the business end she may stand. We also keep stroking the female to keep her standing in a trance while the male rests and washes between bouts! If she can close her eyes and think of England you may just get there!

babyboos
01-27-2006, 10:54 AM
What a picture... :wink: :oops: Sounds like a plan though, thankfully not had to intervene much although one little lady, whom Debs has met, my Longhaired Black Tort is a right demon and will just not stand for any male, so I have given up on her which is a real shame as she is from a great line, but she still makes a lovely pet hamster :lol: