PDA

View Full Version : Exciting project!!

pinkneon
06-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Sorry double post!

pinkneon
06-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Some friends of mine are expecting their first baby - a little girl - in August. So I am making them a first year baby book! Have never made one before, so am hoping you can all help me think of what to put in it! I will leave them spaces to put in photos and writing etc ...
Here are some of the things I have bought so far. I have some more things coming, and so once I've had my op next week I will be starting as I have to spend the first 2 days on bedrest (yay, pajamas days!) and there is a 4 week recovery period!
I will be updating with pictures as the project goes along!

EDITED to add the photo as it didn't work the first time!

Pebbles82
06-10-2016, 01:34 AM
That looks fun :-) I am hopeless at crafts so no advice lol!

pinkneon
06-10-2016, 01:43 AM
Lol - I am working on each page one at a time, then have to decide which order they go in! Am currently working on the page that will have the baby's birth details on, but can't decide how I want to do it!

Pebbles82
06-10-2016, 01:52 AM
My Mum and Dad have a lovely book that was for their engagement and wedding, that my Grandma bought for them. It starts with a page saying their names, the next page has "date of engagement" and a page of photos for the engagement. Then a page for the date and place of the wedding. Then some photo pages, then a list of guests, then a list of presents. And at the back is for "our honeymoon" with a page for date and place and then pages for photos.

It's lovely. A baby book is a bit different, but you could leave a whole page here and there, set out with things like "Date and place of birth" and photo pages, "Who my Godparents are" page with lines for adding names and photos, "Date and Place of Christening" (if they're having one) page with date and place and pages for photos. "Christening/baby presents" - a page or two to list name who it's from and what it is (I think the present page is a nice memento) "First tooth" - date and photos. "First steps" date and photo pages. And then just a page saying - moments in my first year and lots of blank photo pages.

pinkneon
06-10-2016, 01:57 AM
Yeah :) Was thinking of definitely having one page per month - so that would be 12 pages, plus the birth details page, plus I was thinking of some sort of "my family" page (which potentially could be updated somehow if they had more children) though how to do that I have no idea! But it is exciting, though a little difficult as I've never done anything like this before!

Pebbles82
06-10-2016, 02:09 AM
The my family pages sound good. Maybe look up baby books you can buy on the internet and pinch some layout ideas :-) On Amazon there's a "sample pages" thing where you can see some of the pages.

CMB
06-10-2016, 02:12 AM
How about a page for the ultra sound picture. Before the birth details page.

pinkneon
06-10-2016, 02:17 AM
Oooh that's a good idea, both of you! :D
Will take a look
I think I'm finding it hard because I am not exactly sure what they'd like - I mean, I know how I'd make it if it was for me, so I guess I am scared they will not like it!!

velma
06-10-2016, 10:48 AM
That sounds a lovely idea. Things you could include are pages for:
Birth details- name, weight, date, location, hair colour, eye colour.
A page to list birth presents and who from and space.
A page to list first Christmas presents and who from
A page to list first birthday presents and who from.
First birthday party page.
A page to list any "firsts" so of the baby walks or talks in the first year, somewhere to record that.
If they are likely to have a christening, a page for that.
Spaces for photos with date and caption boxes.
Maybe a page for a hand and footprint to go?

That's a few ideas anyway.

Look forward to seeing how you get on.

Pebbles82
06-10-2016, 11:09 AM
I forgot about 1st birthday! Hand and footprints sound great :-) As for the look - maybe keep it fairly neutral and pastel colours so most people would like it. Like pale green or aqua on cream paper maybe. I was going to suggest maybe not using glitter as the stuff tends to fall off all over the place. Although maybe you're a dab hand at sticking it in place! I know on greeting cards it always falls off!

pinkneon
06-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Velma - thanks! Some great ideas!
Serendipity - I have special glitter! It's like extra fine - it kind of sticks on like sand does so shouldn't go anywhere! (At least, it didn't last time I used it ...)

velma
06-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Good point about the glitter by Serendipity. The fine glitter sounds good for card making, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. but it still might come away a bit on a book that will be frequently opened and closed as it gets filled in throughout the year. Just a thought.

Another possible idea (but it depends how well you know the friend's family or how sneaky you can be! ) could you get a baby photo each of your friend and her partner to put in the book at the start? Maybe ask their parents? It would be a nice comparison and fun to see if the baby looks similar to either photo.

pinkneon
06-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Oooh that sounds nice, but I don't know their parents ... I do know one of their sisters though ...
I only plan to use the glitter on small things anyway - for example in the middle of a flower or something! :) I got glitter glue too,for anything I want a little more glitter on!
They live in Scotland, so was thinking of a "My first snow" page or something?

pinkneon
06-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Well here is one page. Looks a bit bare so need to decide what to put on to decorate it! The tag in the pocket is blank on one side to write the birth details on and I have left the front of the pocket blank for a photo!
Photo 2 and 3 shows the two sides of the tag and photo 4 is without the tag inot

I don't know why they are the wrong way round! They were fine on my phone lol

Pebbles82
06-16-2016, 04:46 PM
That is really lovely! You are clever. I love the raised textures. Are you sure it's a girl lol!

pinkneon
06-16-2016, 11:34 PM
Yes, they are sure it's a girl! Mind you another friend was once told girl and had a boy ...! But this couple have had extra scans for various reasons and it has been confirmed!