PDA

View Full Version : All About My Sherbet

Pages : [1] 2

SKB_Hamsters
05-22-2016, 09:30 AM
I decided to make this thread to keep you updated on Sherbet after her health problems (for info on this here is my other thread http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/hamster-healthcare/65878-sherbet-health-updates.html )
Sherbet is my almost 2 year old Rust Dominant Spot Banded Female Syrian Hamster, who I have had since she was 6-8 weeks old. She is an absolute sweetheart who loves to be centre of attention, her cuddles and to snuggle around my neck.

Sherbet is quiet a laid back and lazy hamster at times but the rest of the time she is this hyperactive hamster who enjoys her playtime (as can be seen here http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/syrian-hamster/65634-sherbets-playtime-photos.html) . Sherbet is quiet a clumsy and a not very bright hamster as she can't open a monkey nut (although this could be put on to fool me!). She has so much character so there never a dull moment with her but she likes to keep me on my toes.

Her face is the cutest thing I have ever seen, which means you can't get annoyed at her when she tries to get attention, bangs her toys against the edge of the cage (she finds her bowl works best for that). If your hand enters her cage she will be climbing into your hand in a flash. Sherbet loves her food - as her tummy comes first - but her love for food can show her slightly angry side especially if she thinks you are hiding something from her when you are not this is the only time she has bitten, luckily it wasn't my finger but it was an accident.

Sherbet means everything to me, and our bond together is amazing if I'm not sitting with her when she used to have her free roam playtime she used to come a find me.

Sherbet is doing really well after all of her health problems despite her age she has pulled through, and fought through every obstacle in her recovery including a surgery. Sherbet was so happy to be back in her Ferplast Mary cage yesterday - as she had been housed in a slightly smaller bin cage when she was unwell as she needed to rest and it made it easier when I had to take her to the vets for surgery. She was so excited trying all her toys and had a run (well maybe more like a walk) in her DIY bucket wheel (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/65457-my-diy-bucket-wheel.html). Last night Sherbet enjoyed a bit of digging well maybe not digging as such maybe more like pilling her Fitch into a big pile in the corner of her cage - a Fitch castle. When I went to see her she was pretending to be getting some shredded up tissue for her house but as soon as the light went off she continued making her Fitch castle. So she was trying to fool me again, she is my little troublemaker. So she is happy to be back home in her cage. Her appetite is getting better and she tucks into her food, she likes the additional treat I make up to go with her soaked supreme science pellets and her porridge - yesterday she had finely chopped chicken and some crushed banana pellets, today she has some crushed sunflower seed hearts. I looked at her teeth last night and I think I can see her top two teeth growing back but in the mean time she is enjoying her soft food.

I will keep you updated on Sherbet and all of her mischievous (and also her well behaved) moments.

Pebbles82
05-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Looking forward to hearing more about Sherbet :-) Glad she is doing well.

SKB_Hamsters
05-22-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm glad she doing well too. She had cuddle time this evening which she enjoyed. She is getting more active and she was so happy to get some sunflower seed hearts which I bought for her today(I was initially going to unshell sunflower seed for her but I though it would easier to just buy the hearts as she can't unshell them herself until her top teeth regrow). I'm just trying to put some weight back on her but as her appetite is increasing and she is eating a bit more solid food she might start to put some weight back on soon.

Pebbles82
05-22-2016, 02:46 PM
I bet she enjoyed the sunflower seeds :-)

SKB_Hamsters
05-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Yes, she really enjoyed them. They are one of her favourite treats so she was happy to have some I had to crush them a little to make it easier for her to eat though.

SKB_Hamsters
05-23-2016, 05:25 AM
I was just browsing through my photos on my photos on my computer trying to organise them better, but I found the photos I took of Sherbet when she was a baby, which I thought would be nice to share.

A Little Story about when I went to get Sherbet in July 2014
When I went to get Sherbet she was one of 3 female Syrian hamsters the store had, both her sisters where trying to impress me and win me over however I had already fallen for Sherbet by her colour and pattern, but Sherbet was still fast asleep (she is so lazy). As soon as she had woken up and looked at me I knew she was the hamster for me, her face just won me over, how could I say no!. The pet shop staff were sad to see her go as they said she was there favourite and I could see why. The first few weeks of having her there was a heat wave, I had to try to keep my room at a constant temperature but Sherbet decided to curl up asleep on one of her cage platform, to keep herself cool.

Taming Sherbet, was so easy she was already really friendly when I got her, when I was trying to put her in her cage from my carrier she wouldn’t go in the cage but kept trying to climb into my hands, but I didn’t let her climb into my hands as I like to wait a week to ensure she is settled in before I handle my new hamsters. I used the playpen to tame her she was so happy to run around and she would run towards me when I had treats and used she would sit and eat them were she was (until she realised she had pouches). Sherbet was tame before I knew it and would happily allow me to pick her up and cuddle her, but I didn’t realise then what I let myself in for a really hyper hamster who would love to be handled, to be centre of attention and an absolute sweet heart with the cutest face in which it hard to say no to.

The one thing I noticed most about Sherbet is that she is the smallest Syrian I have had especially compared to Cookie (comparing the photos of both of them when they were babies Sherbet looks tiny and they are both from the same store, as all my other 4 hamsters had been from other pet shops), but she is still a right handful despite her size.

These are not the best quality photo but this is down to her constantly running around or trying to take photos through the cage bars. But they really show her personality off from such a young age.

cypher
05-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Aww lovely photos of Sherbet when she was just a youngster :)
I'm glad to hear she's continuing to do well too.

SKB_Hamsters
05-23-2016, 06:28 AM
Thanks Cyper. It was so strange seeing these pictures her as a youngster especially as she is nearly 2 years old, all the photos I have off her when she was a youngster are all blurred as she never sat still.

I'm glad she is still doing well and that I keep seeing improvements in her. She came out this morning for something to eat and then she got a cuddle.

cypher
05-23-2016, 06:29 AM
She's being well spoilt (in the nicest possible way!) just as she deserves :)

SKB_Hamsters
05-23-2016, 07:11 AM
Yes she being spoilt but she deserves to be spoilt especially after what she has been through.

Just made up a new batch of food for today with her soaked Supreme science selective pellets today she has a few crushed sunflower seed hearts, pumpkin seeds and a grated piece of walnut and a little peice of finely chopped chicken. Also she had some grated carrots which she really enjoyed. She gets so excited when she finds her food especially after I found a way to incorporate all her favourite food with her wet food(her natural treats which she could eat fine before but would struggle to now missing two teeth). So I think this makes her feel better. As Sherbet loves her food!

Thin Lizzy
05-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Ah I so love the pics of Sherbet as a young lass. Pleased she's continuing to improve, she's a little trouper!

SKB_Hamsters
05-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Thanks you Thin Lizzy

It was really nice seeing all the photos and videos of Sherbet and all my past hamster when they were youngsters, it brought back so many good memories.

Thin Lizzy
05-23-2016, 08:14 AM
It's comforting looking back and seeing the progress. I was looking at pics of Archie & Twinkle and it made me smile.

Pebbles82
05-24-2016, 12:53 AM
Lovely photos of Sherbet :-) I especially like the one where she's asleep in that little house. It is funny looking at photos of when they were younger. When I see ones of Charlie in some I think he has a baby look on his face. Others I think he looks just the same but just a bit older ha ha. Kind of more wordly wise.

SKB_Hamsters
05-24-2016, 02:22 AM
Thanks Serendipity7000, that photo is so cute it would be better if it wasn't through cage bars. I just like seeing my hamsters when they are still a baby as they grow up so quick that you don't notice a change, but this made me realise how small Sherbet actually was (and still is). Also you can see her character really well, lazy but hyper. I was supposed to be organising my photos but instead I was looking at photos of all my hamster as babies so organising them never happened (my Cookie looked so fluffy and I have a video of the first time Toffee went on my hand - which was really nice to see again as she used to be scared of everything).

Pebbles82
05-24-2016, 03:51 AM
Charlie used to be scared of everything too - even the sound of the bottle going through the bars (solved that one!) He had a big turning point age 1 and became more confident and now he is pretty laid back really.

SKB_Hamsters
05-24-2016, 04:14 AM
These are a few of the most recent photos I have taken of Sherbet and also of Sherbet's handy work (aka her Fitch Castle – not a sand castle).

The first 2 photos shows Sherbet play area I made her in my bedroom, it’s beneath a small table, she used to love to play beneath it and she kept trying to climb over the horizontal support at the back so I decided it would be safer to assemble a little play area for her. It is made out of cardboard boxes, pieces from an old climbing frame and bendy bridges. Also at first this was initially placed on my carpet but I found Sherbet liked to pee there between the two cardboard boxes even if I put a small box to pee in she rather pee on the carpet, so I made her a play mat out of cardboard and painted it with plastikote and decided to then paint polka dots in brightly coloured plastikote to make it more fun and colourful, initially Sherbet refused to pee on it and she would pee in another corner in my room but she soon learnt this was the place to pee so now it’s easy to wipe clean. Both these photos were taken in the morning of her accident. Since her recovery and even this morning she ran towards her play area when I was giving her a cuddle sitting on my floor, I let her play on it a little while before she went back in her cage. She does really enjoy playing with this also she normally sits on it when she grooming herself to.

The last 3 photos shows Sherbet’s handy work in constructing her Fitch castle and also stuffing her fabric Christmas house with Fitch (this house is safe for her to have in her cage at the moment as she can’t chew as she is missing her top two teeth but she would normally have this when I’m supervising her cuddle time). She constructed this the first night she went back in her cage after being in her temporary bin cage for almost 2 weeks. I filled most of her cage base up with Fitch but she has compacted most of the Fitch into one corner, even kicking some out of the cage. Sherbet doesn’t dig burrows instead she likes to pile her bedding up in the corner leaving the cage base showing in some parts of the cage. The first photos was taken at night so it’s really poor quality but it shows her in action in building her Fitch castle, she was having so much fun I didn’t want to disturb her too much.

Pebbles82
05-24-2016, 04:29 AM
Wow that looks like a fun play area! Lol I like it when they build Fitch mountains! Did you ever find a purpose for it? Charlie did it once to hide a hoard.

SKB_Hamsters
05-24-2016, 04:38 AM
Thanks she really enjoys her play area, sometimes I change it around so it different but I find this one works best. Sometimes she liked to stuff the hideaway which had her hoard up with Fitch and then create her Fitch castle around it other times I think she just likes to see whether I'm doing my job well at cleaning up the Fitch outside her cage. But most times I think she does it for fun,but also when she was in her temporary cage when she wasn't well, when she began to feel better she started to make one then to. But other than that I don't know why she does it!

SKB_Hamsters
05-25-2016, 03:11 PM
A Little Update on Sherbet
Sherbet is still doing really well she has a vet check-up tomorrow to get her bottom teeth trimmed again. I also want to get her weighed to see whether she has put the weight she lost back on (as I think my scales are playing up as it says she 120g but last time the vet weighed her she was 130g (normally she is 140g) but she looks like she put weight back on). Sherbet has her appetite back and is enjoying her food.

Photos of Sherbet Nest from March 2015
I wanted to get a good photos of Sherbet and her handy work at creating her very first nest, she made her nest in between her wooden house and her ceramic mushroom hideaway (which I got from the USA when I was on holiday which she uses a her food store). She took all the bedding out of her house a moved (she obviously didn’t like my bed making skills!). I wanted to get a good photo of her handy work with her sitting in her nest but she decided to leave her nest but I was shocked to find out where she was heading, until I saw her out of the corner of my eye staring at me. I’m so glad with the photo I got; it’s a much better photo than what I was initially wanting. As Sherbet says “Hamsters always knows what best!” and she sure does!
Here is the sequence of photos I took of Sherbet nest (Its best to view the photos in sequence to capture her movement).

DrKMcK
05-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Sherbert is such a pretty hammy. I love her very curious expressions in the photos. She looks wonderful for a 2 year old hammy. :-)

SKB_Hamsters
05-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Thank you DrKMcK. Sherbet is so curious especially when I have my camera out its looks like she is wondering why she is not in hand instead. She still has so much energy which is surprising for age (as none of my past hamsters were as active as she is at her age).

Pebbles82
05-25-2016, 04:25 PM
That is a beautiful nest she made there! And her cage looks really fun and cosy and interesting. Hope things go well at the vet's tomorrow. Sounds like she deserves more treats afterwards :-)

SKB_Hamsters
05-25-2016, 04:42 PM
I know it was a beautiful nest and it was her first ever nest she made, I felt really bad when I had to clean her cage out. Her cage isn't as intresting as it used to be it now it is only on one level so it more suitable for an elderly hamster. I'm hoping everything will go ok to at the vets tomorrow especially for Sherbet, but she enjoys going to the vets as she loves the attention. She will definitely be getting a treat after her trip.

She was awake earlier and I had to help her as one of her eyes was stuck shut. But before I knew it she was running around playing in her play area so she had her first playtime since her accident. She had so much fun, but didn't have her out for to long though, I don't want wear her out to much. When she went back in her cage she had something to eat and has gone back to bed now.

cypher
05-25-2016, 11:46 PM
Nice work on the nest Sherbet :)
She did a good job there! I like that last photo best, she's such a sweet girl.
So glad she got her appetite back again, hopefully she is gaining weight & it's the scales that are wrong. Hope all goes well at the vet.

SKB_Hamsters
05-26-2016, 01:15 AM
Thank Cypher. The last photo is the best it looks like she was so proud of her nest. It clear that Sherbet is also good at a bit of DIY herself!
I'm hoping it's the scales that are wrong as when I weigh her the numbers fluctuate from around 115 to 130g, and doesn't look as thin as when she went to the vets when she got weighed. She will be getting a treat after the vets and hoping that everything will be ok.

Thin Lizzy
05-26-2016, 02:53 AM
That last pic of Sherbet, her face says it all - look what I've built mum!
Perfect too, just like her.
Hope everything goes well at the vet.

SKB_Hamsters
05-26-2016, 03:11 AM
Thanks Thin Lizzy
Her face in the last photo definitely looks likes she thinking that.

ScoobyWoo
05-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Sherbet is such a sweetie- and wow what a nest! :) Fingers crossed everything is ok with the vet.

SKB_Hamsters
05-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Thanks ScoobyWoo I know it was such an impressive nest that she made.

Sherbet's Vet Update
I took Sherbet to the vets earlier. He said Sherbet is doing really well he didn't feel that it was necessary to cut her bottom teeth, but he is concerned whether both her top teeth will come back through as it looks like one is, but he said if they don't both come through he would want to extract both her bottom teeth (which I feel would be unnecessary and would be really to stressful for a 2 year old hamster) but I don't understand why they can't just continue to trim her bottom teeth if they don't both grow back as she has adapted really well with having just her bottom teeth as she uses them to scoop up her wet food so if they did have to extract her bottom teeth (so she would have no teeth) she would struggle to eat. But I'm hoping that both top teeth will grow back. I wanted him to weigh her but he didn't as he said she looked like she has put her weight back on so he didn't feel it was necessary to weigh her (I wanted some reassurance to determine whether she has put the weight back on that she lost - so I have no idea how much she weighs as my scales are playing up). So I'm a little upset, annoyed and stressed with this vet trip luckily I didn't have to pay anything.

Sherbet got some grated carrot as a little treat and she having her cuddle time now. As long as she is happy I'm happy!

So would you feel it was necessary for Sherbet to have her bottom teeth extracted if both her top teeth don't grow back? Or whether it would be best to keep trimming her bottom teeth to a suitable length?

SKB_Hamsters
05-26-2016, 03:39 PM
I just realised I had some photos of Sherbet’s cage layouts on my tablet from the last few months. I was looking through these photos to cheer me up after her vet trip earlier (details are in previous post) so I thought I would share them with you.

Cage Layout - April 2016
Here are a few photos of Sherbet enjoying and exploring her cage after I cleaned it out and gave her a new layout for the month of April. Sherbet's cage theme was natural with a hint of mint green. The first photo shows Sherbet's chewing on her favourite wood chew her wooden caterpillar chew. The other photos show her exploring her cage.

Birthday Present - 2016
Sherbet will be 2 years old in the end of May/beginning of June so here is the present I have got her. I had a 50p of voucher from p@h VIP club for Sherbet’s Birthday so I thought I would buy her something cute for her cage. These are little ice lollies/ice creams wood chews from their new Bright Lights range which are 8cm in height. The 5th photo shows her present, in its original packaging.

Pebbles82
05-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Nice photos of Sherbet and her cage there :-) I particularly like number 4 - she looks so sweet. She is exactly the same age as Charlie :-) He will be 2 end of May/beginning of June too. We set his "official" birthday as 6th June last year (ie 6 weeks earlier than the date we got him on 17 July 2014), assuming he was about 6 weeks old.

cypher
05-26-2016, 09:20 PM
Great photos, easy to see how much she's enjoying things there lucky girl :)

SKB_Hamsters
05-27-2016, 01:15 AM
Nice photos of Sherbet and her cage there :-) I particularly like number 4 - she looks so sweet. She is exactly the same age as Charlie :-) He will be 2 end of May/beginning of June too. We set his "official" birthday as 6th June last year (ie 6 weeks earlier than the date we got him on 17 July 2014), assuming he was about 6 weeks old.

Thank You. Number 4 does like so sweet. I got Sherbet on the 12th July 2014, so if she was 6 weeks old she would me most likely be born around the 31st May 2014. I normally give her a present end of May/beginning of June and I celebrate the day I got her as I don't know the exact day she was born (I wish pet shops could tell you!)

Great photos, easy to see how much she's enjoying things there lucky girl :)

Thank You Cypher, she always enjoyed exploring her cage after I change her layout, especially when I put some of her favourite toys and chews in. Although she normally has her job to make up her bed (as she doesn't like how I do it!), so I rip up the tissues for her and see takes it to her house and makes her bed nice and comfy! (as long as she doesn't get distracted by food).

ScoobyWoo
05-27-2016, 01:23 AM
Aww what lovely photo's, she's so pretty!

Sorry the vet trip didn't go as you had hoped. I have no real experience with dental issues really but I would think there wouldn't be any need to ever remove a hamster's (or any rodents) teeth unless absolutely vital. If she's happy...then I can't see what good it would do to remove them and as you said the stress that the op would put her under- especially at 2 years old... I completely agree with you. As I said, I have no experience though so it's just my opinion.

Have a good day :)

SKB_Hamsters
05-27-2016, 01:45 AM
Thank You ScoobyWoo, I didn't realise I had these photo on my tablet so I was surprised to see some good photos of Sherbet (as most photos of her she is a blur as she doesn't like to sit still for long).

I'm grateful for your opinion, I'm thinking the exact same way about extracting her teeth if it's not vital then why do it? It's not bothering her just having her bottoms ones at the moment, she is completely back to normal health wise (well apart from her top teeth but I'm hoping these will regrow), and I feel she would struggle to eat with no teeth. If they aren't bothering her then I can't see why he didn't just suggest getting them trimmed regularly.

Have a good day to.

Thin Lizzy
05-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Love the pics of Sherbet, she oozes happiness! I agree with the teeth too.

SKB_Hamsters
05-28-2016, 02:08 AM
Thank You Thin Lizzy, I liked to look through photos of Sherbet when I need cheering up (or if Sherbet is awake we have a cuddle).

SKB_Hamsters
05-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Just a few updates on Sherbet

Sherbet is looking better by the day and every night I'm hearing more of her at the moment she is awake running in her wheel a little, so that's nice to hear the pitter patter of her feet in her wheel (I find this noise so relaxing). If I go anywhere near her cage she comes running up to the bars and looks at me with the most adorable face and with her big ears, which is really hard to resist so she has a little cuddle. It's still really a hard to check her teeth as she puts up a fight and gets a little grumpy, as soon as you put her back down she looks at me with the most disapproving look (she has so much attitude). But I'm really pleased with the progress she is making.

Weight Update
I managed to get my weighing scales working again so I managed to get a weight for Sherbet, which I'm really happy about as she now weighs around 130/132g which is nearly back to her normal weight range of 135/140g. As her weight dropped around 120g during the recovery of her accident.

Cuddle Times
Sherbet has really been enjoying her cuddle times in the evening which she snuggles and goes to sleep around my neck whilst I'm sitting on the sofa. Every time I move slightly as its getting uncomfortable, as sometimes she starts to dig her claws in when she sleeps, but she pushes her way back in and snuggles back down again but I don't mind to much as along as she is comfy. Yesterday she was even waiting for me in the evening so she should come out for her cuddles, which was nice to see.

Playtime
At the moment I'm only giving Sherbet her playtime every other day at the moment as I don't want to wear her out to much (as she is nearly 2 years old - unofficial birthday 31st May). She does really enjoy running around playing with her toys and in her play area. Her energy levels are increasing and she enjoys having a nice run around, in which I love to see especially the excitement in her. Sherbet also manage to find a sunflower seed somewhere on my floor I don't know where as I've hoovered my room throughly the other day, so I have no idea where it came from (probably has a secret stash somewhere) but she was trying to open it (which I felt really bad about), I wanted to help her open it but she pouched it (she never likes anyone going near her food).

But she seems so happy at the moment almost back to her normal self, just waiting for both her top teeth to regrow, but I just see them so there is hope.

Pebbles82
05-29-2016, 02:49 AM
That's lovely she is doing so well. I shall say Happy Birthday for Tuesday now - we will be travelling that day :-)

Thin Lizzy
05-29-2016, 04:31 AM
I love Sherbet's updates, that she's improving every day and using her wheel, I too find the pitter patter of feet on the wheel relaxing! Even better news about her weight gain and her cuddle time with you makes my heart melt.

SKB_Hamsters
05-29-2016, 03:13 PM
Thank You both Serendipity7000 and Thin Lizzy.

I've been out most of today and when I got home Sherbet she awake and she was so excited to see me, she was looking through the cage bars, like she was thinking why couldn't you have taken me with you?!. So when I put my hand in she throughly sniffed my hand, like she checking where I have been, once I had been throughly checked over she climbed into my hand, for cuddles. She stretched 8 times which either means she has slept most of the day or she was of stretching to make it seem like she has been asleep all day (her cooling down excerises). She having a late night playtime as she has so much energy, she also had a good wash. I really love seeing her running around having fun especially after her accident (I don't think she realises how old she is - but it clear she doesn't feel nearly 2!)

cypher
05-29-2016, 10:32 PM
She really is doing well, don't tell her she's nearly two she obviously doesn't want to know lol!

Thin Lizzy
05-30-2016, 03:06 AM
Aww that's so cute, what a welcome you got!
Tomorrows an extra special day for her!

SKB_Hamsters
05-30-2016, 11:03 AM
She really is doing well, don't tell her she's nearly two she obviously doesn't want to know lol!

Thanks, I try not to tell her she is nearly two, but when she running around like she is still a little baby it's hard not to. But it's obvious she doesn't feel 2 years old, as when I say your nearly 2 she looks at me so confused.

Aww that's so cute, what a welcome you got!
Tomorrows an extra special day for her!

Thank you Thin Lizzy, I really like the warm welcome I get from Sherbet when I get home, she was probably wondering why I hadnt got her out yet! Tomorrow she will get spoilt as its her birthday (as it 6 weeks earlier than the day I got her 12th July 2014), also I will try to get some birthday photos of her.

Thin Lizzy
05-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Happy Birthday to a very special girl!
Sherbet's 2 today and you're so going to get spoilt rotten and deservedly so.
Big Hugs xxx

SKB_Hamsters
05-31-2016, 03:31 AM
Sherbet says "Thank You Thin Lizzy!"

Birthday Photos - 31st May 2016
Sherbet is 2 years old and she will be having a very special day.
I got some photos of Sherbet enjoying her porridge birthday cake (made from porridge, small piece of mashed banana, and a finely chopped choc drop for a special treat), in which she loved. I hand-made the decorations (the banner and presents) which was really hard to make especially the banner as I had to make it really small. The photos also show her birthday present her ice cream chews.

SKB_Hamsters
05-31-2016, 03:36 AM
Here are a few out takes from Sherbet Birthday Photos, these are a sequence of photos which show Sherbet knocking her presents decorations of her bench onto the floor.

cypher
05-31-2016, 03:48 AM
Happy Birthday Sherbet, looks like a lot of fun :)

littlemissmandy3
05-31-2016, 04:51 AM
Aww, Happy Birthday Sherbert! I'm so glad she's pulling through after her accident, you've taken such good care of her :)

SKB_Hamsters
05-31-2016, 06:29 AM
Sherbet says Thank You Cypher and littlemissmandy3!

She had a lot of fun and especially enjoyed eating her birthday cake.
I have a vet appointment booked in for tomorrow to get her teeth checked and to see if her bottom teeth need to be trimmed as they are looking a bit long but I can't get a good look at them as she won't stop wriggling.

cypher
05-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Checking teeth isn't the easiest thing! Hope all goes well at the vets, at least she didn't have to go on her birthday!

flowerfairy
05-31-2016, 08:55 AM
Happy birthday to the lovely Sherbet. She is so pretty. I love those ice cream chews. Very colourful. The birthday cake sounds amazing. What a lucky hamster!

Best of luck at the vets.

Eta that i love hearinfg them on their wheels at night too. Relaxing as you said.

SKB_Hamsters
05-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Checking teeth isn't the easiest thing! Hope all goes well at the vets, at least she didn't have to go on her birthday!

She puts up a big fight when I have to check her teeth she always has but all my past Syrian hamsters would happily let me look at their teeth so I thought it was easier for the vets to look. I was thinking about taking her today as the vets don't close until 8 but got one for tomorrow instead, as i didn't think she wanted to do on her birthday. Hoping everything will be ok to it just seems like she is trying to chew things a lot more than she has been in the last week so they might need to be trimmed.

Happy birthday to the lovely Sherbet. She is so pretty. I love those ice cream chews. Very colourful. The birthday cake sounds amazing. What a lucky hamster!

Best of luck at the vets.

Eta that i love hearinfg them on their wheels at night too. Relaxing as you said.

Thank you Flowerfairy. She loved her birthday cake she even pouched some of it and tried to pouch the cardboard plate I put it on (but I made it big enough so she couldn't). I made her birthday extra special this year especially after what she been through recently so she deserves it!

I find it difficult to sleep if I don't have a hamster in my bedroom. I find the noises they make relaxing (except from bar chewing or squeaky wheels), but hearing their feet in there wheel is the most relaxing noise they make as you know they are having fun.

ScoobyWoo
05-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Happy Birthday Sherbet!!!

The photo's look incredibly cute! Best of luck with the vets tomorrow.

SKB_Hamsters
05-31-2016, 01:23 PM
Thank you ScoobyWoo, she was having so much fun and she enjoyed eating her birthday cake, so I managed to get these cute photos.

Thin Lizzy
05-31-2016, 09:09 PM
Aww such adorable and very beautiful pics of Sherbet's 2nd Birthday! I found myself going Aww at each pic, she really is such an inspiration and a little warrior!

SKB_Hamsters
06-01-2016, 02:09 AM
Thank you Thin Lizzy, I know she such an inspiration to me everything that faced her in her recovery she fought through, even when the vets were doubting her recovery as she was nearly two she stayed strong and proved them wrong but they obviously didn't know about hamsters determination and inner strength, my little warrior. You would never know from the photos and seeing her now that she had her accident, she back to her happy, hyperactive, and cuddly self, (especially enjoying a late night playtime last night)! So her 2nd birthday was extra special for her as she deserved it and she definitely enjoyed it!

Thin Lizzy
06-01-2016, 04:17 AM
She's a true warrior princess.

SKB_Hamsters
06-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Just got back from the vets, she said her teeth were long and they needed to be trimmed. She also mentioned how friendly Sherbet was, (saw a different vet this time) Sherbet was well behaved as usual! She seems alot happier that her bottom teeth are shorter, as before they looked too long especially when she yawned and seemed like they were starting to annoy her as she kept trying to chew on things! She had a little peice of cauliflower when she got home as a treat and she has gone back to bed.

freyashamsters
06-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Oh dear, at least it's nothing worse. Great that Sherbet was well-behaved at the vet's :D

cypher
06-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Glad it went ok at the vet, it is surprising how fast those teeth grow, I used to have to take Flynt in every two to three weeks, you get into a routine soon enough though & it's not too hard to tell when they need to go back even if you can't do a proper check.
Is there any sign of those top teeth growing back yet or not?

SKB_Hamsters
06-01-2016, 07:37 AM
It's nearly been 2 weeks since she had them last trimmed, I only know when she needs them trimmed as she begins trying to chew things a lot more and when she yawns I can get a good look then . One of her top teeth is more visible than the other but it hard to get a good look at them however the vets keep saying they can see them, but I don't know if they are growing as her bottom teeth might be wearing them down as quick as they are growing. So they may grow back better now she had her teeth trimmed. But I'm hoping they regrow. This vet didn't mention having them removed, she recommend bringing her back to have them trimmed when they get to long.

SKB_Hamsters
06-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Weight Update
I weighed Sherbet earlier and now she weighs 135g which means she back to her normal weight range of 135 to 140g. So I’m really happy that she has manage to put the weight back on she lost during the recovery of her accident.

Sherbet and Her Whimzees
I thought I would share some really cute photos of Sherbet enjoying her whimzees. Unfortunately since her accident she hasn’t had a whimzee as she can’t chew them until her top teeth regrow, so I’m hoping that she will be able to enjoy her whimzees again, as they were her favourite chew. So I have my fingers are crossed, as I’m sure she missing them.

cypher
06-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Great news about her weight, lovely photos of her with her whimzees, she's clearly enjoying them very much, fingers crossed she will be able to again at some point, I guess if the vet says the top teeth are visible there must still be hope!

Thin Lizzy
06-02-2016, 02:44 AM
Firstly great news about her teeth trimming and that she charmed the vet once again.
Secondly, brilliant news she's back to her normal weight.
And lastlly, those pics of Sherbet and her whimzee are so damn cute!

SKB_Hamsters
06-02-2016, 03:19 AM
Thank You both Cypher and Thin Lizzy.
Most of the good photos I can get of Sherbet was when she chewing a whimzees, I even had to incorporate one into my entry for hamster of the month so it was a good job I had an orange one.
She looks so much better and healthier now that she has but her weight back on. She still loves food and enjoys her treats especially grated or finely chopped veg. I thought it would be difficult considering her age to regain weight she lost but she does like proving me wrong.
I'm hoping that since the bottom teeth have been trimmed they will allow the top ones to grow (if the roots aren't damage), but I'm optimistic that her teeth will return to normal. So she can enjoy her whimzees again.
I think she puts a spell on the vets as soon as they look at her, but who wouldn't be charmed by her cute face, and her pretending to be well behaved (she is a little troublemaker really). Also Sherbet looks so calm when she being handled by the vets as long as they don't try to look at her teeth, nothing really seem phases Sherbet, she is such as confident hamster.
She also seemed quite energetic last night running around her cage and having a good run in her wheel. She even ran over to the cage bars to see me before she went back to her wheel.

ScoobyWoo
06-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Good that she gone ok with the vets and excellent news about the weight gain! You have done such an amazing job of looking after her, what a super hammie Mummy you are :)

SKB_Hamsters
06-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Good that she gone ok with the vets and excellent news about the weight gain! You have done such an amazing job of looking after her, what a super hammie Mummy you are :)

Thank You ScoobyWoo. Sherbet (and all my past hamsters) mean the world to me so I prepared to do everything I can to ensure that she was happy and healthy again, especially as I blamed myself for not preventing her accident, and I was really hurt seeing what she looked like after her accident (I was in tears for days/near enough a week). But I'm glad I didn't give up hope for her recovery as she back to her former self, a cuddly, hyper but lazy hamster who still has her love for food. She currently enjoying a late night playtime, running around using me as a climbing frame so she definitely enjoying life again. She is definitely a heart hamster, the bond we have together is so special to me and has grown through the whole entire nightmare of her accident and as she has also helped me through my tough times in my life this year, whenever I'm in a bad mood or upset she was always there to cheer me up (so I had to return the favour).
Also I can't thank my vets enough for everything they have done for Sherbet.

SKB_Hamsters
06-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Updates - Weight and General

Sherbet is still doing really well and she now weighs 140g (put on 5g since the last time I weighed her) which means her weight is back to normal, so her wet food diet has been effective at aiding her to regain the weight she lost after her accident when her weight dropped to 120g. She still doesn't like her teeth being checked but I don't know whether her top teeth are growing, as its been 4 weeks since her accident, so I don't know if they will regrow, as wouldn't they have regrown in that time?. I still have my fingers crossed and hoping they do regrow but she has adapted really well just having just her bottom teeth.

Sherbet still enjoys her evening cuddles with me on the sofa, she will curl up asleep in her pouch (which I made for her), and she will wake up to get some food (I have her bowl with me) or when she needs to go to the toilet, Sherbet has never peed on me but she likes to to be put in her playpen and she will pee in there instead (she is so kind as my past hamsters and Guinea pigs would just pee on me when they needed to go).

She gets active in the evening around 11/11:30pm when she want to have her evening play times, which is more like a her having a good wash and clean for around 10 minutes, after she is nice and clean she has a little run around before wanting to go back into her cage. Once she goes back in her cage she goes in her wheel for a little run (she is doing that at the moment for the last 10 minutes) and then dives back to bed. Last night she tidied up her bed, putting her poos on the base of her cage beneath her nest which made so much noise and when I went to see what she was doing she ran out from beneath her bendy bridge (she likes to sleep beneath a medium sized bendy bridge as when she got older she didn't like going through the holes in her houses), did a lap of her cage and climbed into my hand and she had a good run around in her playpen.

Sherbet has also started to try to bury her food bowl by placing pieces of her bedding on top of her wet food after she has finished having something to eat which is really cute watching her do it. I've been measuring how much food she has been eating over the last 2 weeks and I worked out she eats around 10 - 20g of wet food a day, I don't know how much would be equivalent as dry food or water as I tried to work it out but I got confused. But whenever I go to switch her bowl with a new batch of food she is always out eating so I have to wait until she is finished eating, as she is still half asleep when she comes out to eat as her eyes are still shut until she has finished eating, (she always used to get food when she was still half asleep - I normally call it sleep walking).

But she still looks like she doing really well for her age and after what she been through in the last 4 weeks. But as long as Sherbet is happy I'm happy. She still love food she is very impatient when I was trying to tear the top of some broccoli to make it easy for her to eat she was trying to just grab the large piece out of my hand, not realising she won't we able to eat it, so It shows that she doesn't even notice her top teeth are missing.

She is now still running in her wheel and is trying to climb the cage bars (from 12:15pm to 12:30pm) she doesn't realise she is 2.

Sorry for the long updates I haven't update the thread for a while so I thought I would share her progress.

Pebbles82
06-06-2016, 04:59 PM
It's lovely to hear how well she is doing :-) And you have given her excellent care. I need to try and get Charlie's weight up a bit I think so might try more wet food. I did soak his hamster mix but he didn't touch it lol - I don't think he likes it if it isn't easy to pouch.

Do you have a "menu plan" of the diet you've been giving sherbet?

cypher
06-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Good to hear she's doing so well bless her :)

SKB_Hamsters
06-07-2016, 02:09 AM
It's lovely to hear how well she is doing :-) And you have given her excellent care. I need to try and get Charlie's weight up a bit I think so might try more wet food. I did soak his hamster mix but he didn't touch it lol - I don't think he likes it if it isn't easy to pouch.

Do you have a "menu plan" of the diet you've been giving sherbet?

Thank you Serendipity7000.

Here is Sherbet's menu plan:
Every day she has the same base for her wet food which is soaked supreme science pellets (crushed) which I add either 1/2 or 1 tsp of porridge oats (I vary this each day) which I add enough water to make it fairly soft. I make up 30g worth of wet food. On top I sprinkle the food with 1/2 to 1tsp of a mix of crushed sunflower seeds, grated walnut, grated peanut, crushed mealworms and some crushed pumpkin seeds and push it slightly into the food (so she can't just eat the top and not the wet food)
But each day I either add a little treat - which again I push slightly into the wet food - a piece of grated/finely chopped veg and crushed supreme science selective pellets (she gets this most days) and occasionally she gets cold chicken, soaked crushed mealworms, grated boiled egg, millet, linseeds and any other treat. But she does really enjoy eating her food.

You could also try Charlie on some dry crushed supreme science selective pellets with a mix of crushed treats alongside the wet food - which might make it easier for him to eat - as sometimes I give a little to Sherbet dry. You could also not add too much water to the wet food to leave it fairly dry (I make it quite soft as otherwise Sherbet struggles to get it out of her bowl using just her bottom teeth). I hope Charlie puts back on or maintains his weight.
Also I recommend putting wet food in a shallow dish as it makes it easier to get out the bowl and I usually have her bowl outside her house so she doesn't have to walk far for food

But all the methods I use and how I prepared different foods are on my other thread (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/feeding-nutrition/66078-feeding-hamsters-missing-teeth-who-elderly.html)

Good to hear she's doing so well bless her :)

Thank You Cypher. She really surprised me last night how much she was using her wheel as she hasn't used it that much recently, she obviously still feels good for her age.

Pebbles82
06-07-2016, 02:54 AM
Thanks SKB - that's given me a few tips to do with the science selective and things to add to it :-) I also have your other thread in mind too, but helps to hear exactly what a daily diet was, that worked with wait gain. I need some mealworms and a pestle and mortar now :-)

Thin Lizzy
06-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Wow! Lucky sherbet with her very own menu plan. So happy she's continuing to get stronger everyday.
Great news about her weight.

SKB_Hamsters
06-08-2016, 04:31 AM
Thank You Thin Lizzy, she has a menu plan to ensure she gets a variety and gets different treats each day. I'm surprised in how she has improved since her accident, she has so much energy and wants her play times again some days she wants both her play times as well as her cuddle time. But I didn't think she would put the weight she lost back on as she is an elderly hamster but she has so much fight in her. But she hates it when I check her teeth she gives me a grumpy look after I've checked them which is just to cute.

Pebbles82
06-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Charlie took the couple of science selective biscuits I left out last night so that sounds like he might eat them if I soak some :-)

SKB_Hamsters
06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Charlie took the couple of science selective biscuits I left out last night so that sounds like he might eat them if I soak some :-)

That's a good sign, hopefully Charlie will like them to. Sherbet really enjoys eating hers either wet or crushed.

Pebbles82
06-08-2016, 03:27 PM
I think Charlie does like the smell of them - I think it's a bit yeasty, like Horlicks or something. I followed some of your tips tonight and ground some pumpkin seeds and a pecan nut and sprinkled them on his scrambled egg and the soaked science selective. He wasn't too sure about the mix of flavours I think and avoided the nut and pumpkin seed mix so next time I think I'll just put them in a dish on their own. Maybe he doesn't like nuts with his horlicks!

How is Sherbet doing?

SKB_Hamsters
06-08-2016, 04:20 PM
The smell of the supreme science selective smells familiar to me but I can't figure out what's it reminds me of. Initially I started filling 3/4 of the bowl up with the wet food and putting the crushed nuts, seeds and other treats in the other 1/4, before I started putting her crushed treats on top of her food, so you could try this to get Charlie used to everything.

Sherbet is doing really well she still fairly active enjoys a little run in her wheel at night and even demands her playtimes, although she sleep a little more than she used to (but she always been fairly lazy) and still has a good appetite. Still monitoring her closely making sure she ok health wise. Tonight and last night she was taking some of her shredded tissue from her nest to her toilet but then goes back to sleep in her nest under her bendy bridge - I don't know whether it because of the thunder as once it stopped she returned to her original nest (as I know animals can sense things like this) or she was getting hot (but my room stays cool most of the day). But another thing I've noticed is she keeps trying to chew things it like she doesn't remember she doesn't have her top teeth (or it could be a sign they might be growing), I'm keeping a close eye on her bottom teeth (but she's not happy with this, this make her a little grumpy) might need to be trimmed next week they are at an OK length at the moment but they grow so quick. She still being really cute and cuddly, which I'm pleased about.

Thin Lizzy
06-09-2016, 01:44 AM
So love catching up on the wonderful Sherbet and her continued progress.

SKB_Hamsters
06-09-2016, 01:57 AM
Thank You Thin Lizzy.

Sherbet has just woken up so gave her a little cuddle, but she smelt of pee, so she obviously slept in her nest in her toilet last night.

SKB_Hamsters
06-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Updates and Photos
I had to do half a cage clean today as Sherbet decided it would be a good idea to nest in her toilet, which made her smell of pee which isn’t very nice when she like to snuggle around my neck also her toilet was due to be cleaned. So I moved the cardboard box she uses as her toilet to the opposite side of her cage and put in another cardboard box where her toilet used to be for her to nest in. She made her nest and is now sleeping in her cardboard box. I think she might off moved as she might have been getting warm in this warm weather. She still has her other nest in her cage in case she changes her mind and wants to sleep in there again.

I weighed Sherbet today although it wasn’t long ago since I last weighed her but I wanted to ensure that she was maintaining her weight and also ensure she is not putting on too much weight either. Sherbet weighs 142g. I took a few photos of her scales.

Also I thought I share a few recent photos of Sherbet.

SKB_Hamsters
06-10-2016, 01:19 AM
Sherbet was the most active she has been in a long time last night.I could hear that she was awake and trying to climb the cage bars, so she had a late night playtime last night at 12pm as I didn't want her to hurt herself after everything else she been through lately (I'm over cautious with her at the moment), she was having so much fun running around, playing with her toys and was out for 20 to 30 minutes. She normally lets me know when she wants to go back in her cage as she will run over to me, nudge me and run to the storage unit her cage is on and stare up towards her cage, but last night she was having so much fun and just wanted to run around and didn't want to go back in her cage, but as it was getting late I had to put her back in her cage and as she is old and I didn't want to wear her out too much. When she was back in her cage she went back to bed for a little nap and before I knew it she was in her bucket wheel and was running so fast for a hamster of her age, climbing over all her toys. I told her "your not supposed to have this much energy for a hamster of your age", (my past Syrians Cotton and Cookie didn't have this much energy when they were 2 they just wanted to sleep), but Sherbet ran over to the bars being all cute, she reminded me of her former energetic self before she had her accident - I'm glad I didn't give up on her she looked so bad after her accident that I didn't think she would pull through. Everyday I've been noticing at night she is getting more active and she obviously remembered how much she loves her bucket wheel.

Although she seems to be healthy and happy, I'm still check her over each day making sure she fine or monitor her behaviour to look for any signs that she not comfortable. As she is 2 years old, although I still don't think she feels 2.

Pebbles82
06-10-2016, 02:12 AM
That sounds lovely :-) Maybe it's all the healthy food making her energetic!

SKB_Hamsters
06-10-2016, 04:01 AM
She has always been really energetic but also really lazy (don't know how that is possible). She used to get all the same food she has now before her accident she always been on a healthy diet, but not getting Harry Hamster food, if it is some of her food that giving her this energy, I think I might need some!
She did have a little peice of some baby sweet corn yesterday.

Thin Lizzy
06-11-2016, 12:02 AM
Sherbet amazes me everyday with her energy! So happy to hear she's having lots of fun at playtime.
As for the pics, cuteness overload! She's looking so healthy and content.

SKB_Hamsters
06-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Thank you Thin Lizzy.
Sherbet keep amazing me with her energy too. I think she is so happy to have her playtime again, she runs around half my room (she can't get behind any furniture as in my bedroom my furniture built in, this wasn't the room she had her accident in) as when she was recovering she didn't have any play times just her cuddle times, so I think she missed them. She also likes climbing all over me, if I move she comes running over to see what I'm doing or she might think I'm leaving her on her own.
She looks so healthy that you would never realise that she had her accident and had an operation
Sherbet doesn't even realise she is missing her top teeth and has adjusted really well, she still try to chew on things, and tries to grab her large treats out of hands which I'm trying to break them up for her. Sherbet is still really enjoying her food and even started to pouch her wet food. She even had a special treat of a grated home grown carrot from my dads allotment, she really enjoyed it (she had the first taste).
At the moment Sherbet is fast asleep around my neck, enjoying her cuddle time.

Thin Lizzy
06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
I know I've said this before, but I go Awww several times when I read your updates and yes my heart melts!

cypher
06-12-2016, 01:50 AM
She really is an amazing girl & she really couldn't want for anything with all the tlc she gets, it's lovely to hear how well she's doing now, like Lizzy I always get a big Awww from her updates & my heart melts too, even more with the photos, love that last one!

Pebbles82
06-12-2016, 02:41 AM
It was your story about Sherbet's progress that made me decide it was ok to give Charlie the Metacam :-)

SKB_Hamsters
06-12-2016, 03:33 AM
I know I've said this before, but I go Awww several times when I read your updates and yes my heart melts!

She really is an amazing girl & she really couldn't want for anything with all the tlc she gets, it's lovely to hear how well she's doing now, like Lizzy I always get a big Awww from her updates & my heart melts too, even more with the photos, love that last one!

Thank you both Thin Lizzy and Cypher. I'm glad you enjoy reading her updates it also help me monitor her as I can look back and see her improvements, such as her weight gain etc. You might be getting a few more photos soon as its my birthday on Tuesday and I will be getting a camera and I can't wait to get loads of photos of Sherbet as I normally I use my phone and I end up using up all the available storage taking a few photos. But every time I see her my heart melt to, even when I first saw her in the pet shop when she first won over my heart.

It was your story about Sherbet's progress that made me decide it was ok to give Charlie the Metacam :-)

Thank Serendipity7000, i really noticed a different when she was taking her metacam, as when I first took her to the vets in an emergency after her accident I wasn't given any I think this was due to them not thinking she would recover being two. When I went back to get her checked over by another vet she said she was surprised I wasn't given any for Sherbet. But I did really notice a difference when she was taking it, she wasn't squeaking as much and she could eat a lot better (as her mouth and face was sore and a little swollen from her accident). It also helped after her operation when she was in pain after the anaesthetic wore off she became fidgety and wouldn't sleep, once she took it she settled down soon afterwards.

It was a bit concerning knowing it was for cats, but I did some research and it said that cat metacam was safe for hamsters and small pets but dog metacam wasn't.

I did have to scruff sherbet to give her her metacam as she thought it was the baytril which she hated she learnt if she put her foot on the end of the syringe it stopped the medicine coming out, so when she got the syringe of metacam she would put up a fight and then realise it was the nice one a lick it up and even held the syringe herself and tried chewing the end to get more out.

It can be a challenge to give medicine to hamsters (except my Cookie she loved her medicine even baytril which Sherbet hated, and would sit in my hand to take it without a fuss). I read on your thread that Charlie wouldn't take it, if you put some food on a spoon that he will enjoy licking off, and as he licking drop a tiny drop of metacam on the food near his mouth and he should lick it up.

SKB_Hamsters
06-14-2016, 01:56 AM
Little Updates

Sherbet had a nice playtime last night at half past twelve (she probably wanted to be the first one to wish me a happy birthday) she had a little play around and cuddle which was really sweet. She probably wanted her photo taken with my new camera but I had to charge the camera battery up before using it.

As I measure the amount to food Sherbet eats every day to ensure she eating ok, but she been eating around 15 to 20g of wet food a day and last few days it's been around 10g although she did have a few extra treats, but this could be down to her being back to a normal weight or because her teeth becoming to long as she can just chew a through a piece of veg using her front teeth only if the veg is soft, I don't know if that's due to her teeth being to long (but when i scruff Sherbet to check her teeth the bottom look at the correct length and I can see a little bit of the top but I don't know if they are growing or that what remains of her teeth after her accident, but can't get a good look without her putting up a fight and getting grumpy afterwards a little treat helps her forget what's happened). She is due a vet trip this week for her teeth to be trimmed (might be on Thursday unless her teeth begin to bother her too much before then and I wil get an earlier appointment).

Other than that she doing well she still weighs exactly 142g so keeping a close eye on her weight making sure that remains normal.

The cutest thing about Sherbet is she loves grooming her self she always has to look her best and can spend up to 20 minutes having a good proper wash. Sometimes when she grooms herself she will sit on a piece of cardboard or on a cardboard box that when she sratches and cleans using herself back legs she make a little tapping noise on the cardboard (which reminds me of Thumper from the film Bambi). She always cleans her feet after other people hold her, which this is so sweet watching her do.
A funny little story about one time she was grooming when in her playpen, a while ago (before her accident), I noticed Sherbet trying to scratch her self but instead of scratching herself she was actually scratching a bendy bridge which was next to her, but she couldn't understand what was going on (also at first I didn't know either) and she kept trying to lean into the scratch but she soon realised what was going on and she was scratching the bendy bridge instead, so moved to a better place to have a good scratch and a clean.

Pebbles82
06-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Lol! They do do some funny things :-) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

cypher
06-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Happy Birthday, hope you're having a really wonderful day :)

CMB
06-14-2016, 07:40 AM
Happy birthday. Have a nice day.

SKB_Hamsters
06-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Thank You Serendipity7000, cypher and CMB, I had a really good day so far I've tried out my new camera trying out the different settings, (took over 100 photos in an hour!) and got some really cute photos of Sherbet (not all of the photos were of Sherbet). Sherbet wasn't bothered by the camera when I was taking photos of her she kept running towards the camera and was sitting on the other side looking at the screen - which was really cute (she even tried to chew my camera as she was being really inquisitive, I kept the flash off for most of the photos). I also made Sherbet a little birthday cake as she can't have any of mine so I made her porridge birthday cake - which is the same cake she had for her birthday but with carrot instead (the recipe I used is on my other thread http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/feeding-nutrition/66078-feeding-hamsters-missing-teeth-who-elderly-2.html#post812797). At the moment Sherbet having her cuddle time sleeping around my neck.

I have booked a vet appointment for Thursday, to get Sherbet's bottom teeth trimmed, I'm seeing the vet I saw the 2nd vet trip after her accident as she was really knowledgeable about small pet (she mentioned that she had pet chinchillas) I think it will be nice for her to see how much Sherbet has improved as when she saw Sherbet she still looked really bad from her accident.

Pebbles82
06-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Glad you had a nice day and looking forward to seeing the photos :-) I hope you have a big memory card in the camera! Charlie says it helps if you grab the otoscope and push your bum out really hard when they're trying to clip your teeth, and then spit the clipped tooth back at the vet :-)

SKB_Hamsters
06-14-2016, 04:07 PM
I will try to upload the photos later this week. I have two 16GB memory cards, I don't know how many photos I can take, but I think I will soon find out.

Sherbet has her teeth trimmed out the back with a bit of gas anaesthetic. It only takes about a minute to trim them and Sherbet is happy as they give her a cuddle afterwards, they are always surprised how friendly she is. The funny thing is when I take her to the vets she is awake during the short journey to the vets, we get in the vet waiting room and she goes in her house and sleeps, therefore I have to wake her up when we get called in to see the vet. But I'm looking forward to this vet to see her again as she was so helpful last time and very informative (we had a good chat about her, this was the vet who gave me some critical care, metacam also showed be the best way to give her medicines) and she saw Sherbet when she didn't look to good so I think she will be really surprised with the progress she has made.

I also had a idea the other day which involved her wooden bench (this one Kerbl Nature Wooden Hamster Bench on Sale | Free UK Delivery (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=148&pf_id=67385)) in which I noticed it was held together with peice of metal it's a good job she hadn't chewed it near them but I decided to remove all the wooden pieces and reattach some strips of wood which I painted with red plastikote and reattached to the frame work with non-toxic PVA glue. So I now have to the red bench that I always wanted.

Thin Lizzy
06-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Happy Belated Birthday SKB! Was your birthday on Monday?
Sounds like you had a Fab day and how wonderful of Sherbet to be the first to celebrate your special day.
She's one smart ham!

SKB_Hamsters
06-15-2016, 01:48 AM
Happy Belated Birthday SKB! Was your birthday on Monday?
Sounds like you had a Fab day and how wonderful of Sherbet to be the first to celebrate your special day.
She's one smart ham!

Thank you Thin Lizzy, my birthday was on Tuesday (14th).
Sherbet is so sweet, she wanted to come out that night for a playtime, when the few previous nights she was happy to amuse herself in her cage.

Pebbles82
06-15-2016, 01:53 AM
I will try to upload the photos later this week. I have two 16GB memory cards, I don't know how many photos I can take, but I think I will soon find out.

Sherbet has her teeth trimmed out the back with a bit of gas anaesthetic. It only takes about a minute to trim them and Sherbet is happy as they give her a cuddle afterwards, they are always surprised how friendly she is. The funny thing is when I take her to the vets she is awake during the short journey to the vets, we get in the vet waiting room and she goes in her house and sleeps, therefore I have to wake her up when we get called in to see the vet. But I'm looking forward to this vet to see her again as she was so helpful last time and very informative (we had a good chat about her, this was the vet who gave me some critical care, metacam also showed be the best way to give her medicines) and she saw Sherbet when she didn't look to good so I think she will be really surprised with the progress she has made.

I also had a idea the other day which involved her wooden bench (this one Kerbl Nature Wooden Hamster Bench on Sale | Free UK Delivery (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=148&pf_id=67385)) in which I noticed it was held together with peice of metal it's a good job she hadn't chewed it near them but I decided to remove all the wooden pieces and reattach some strips of wood which I painted with red plastikote and reattached to the frame work with non-toxic PVA glue. So I now have to the red bench that I always wanted.

That sounds nice :-) I didn't realise they were held together with a piece of metal! Mine is the red one and seems to be all wood frame but it does have nails in I think. I had to sand mine a bit so it's dull red lol.

I kind of wish they had given Charlie a small whiff of anaesthetic as he might have found it less stressful, but maybe she didn't think it was necessary as it was just his bottom teeth.

SKB_Hamsters
06-15-2016, 02:19 AM
At first I didn't realise it was held together with metal, only when I had to clean it after Sherbet birthday, as she got her birthday cake over the bench that I noticed something metallic. But the top of metal pieces holding the bench together are not sharp though but I didn't want to take the the risk, as the top of the nails were in the bark which would be easily chewed of. So pulled all the wood off and replaced it as I always wanted the red bench and they stopped selling them. I also thought by painting it with plastikote it easier to clean, when I need to.

My vet said that they wouldn't like to cut them without gas anaesthetic as it makes it quicker and easier (I think this might to Sherbet needing her bottom teeth cut fairly short so they will take a while to grow back). But I don't think she would let anyone clip her teeth without anaesthetic I can't even look at them properly without her kicking me (She get grumpy but never tries to bite).

Also over the last few day she could chew her own soft veg and a small peice of soft fruit into smaller pieces. Although she wouldn't be able to chew a carrot but I'm sure she would try. But she definitely not lost her appetite. She tried a little peice of celery but she spat that back out she didn't like it, which was so cute.

SKB_Hamsters
06-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Here are a few photos of Sherbet out of the many I took yesterday.
The 1st and 2nd are photos of Sherbet enjoying a cake I made for her as it was my birthday and as she couldn't have any of my cake, so I made her one so she didn't feel left out. Its the same cake I made for her 2nd birthday on the 31st May.
The 3rd and 4th ones are my favourites.

I have resized the photos as they were really large photos so the quality isn't as good as when they are full size.

SKB_Hamsters
06-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Here are another two photos these are not the best photos but they Sherbet being inquisitive with my new camera. When I tried to take a photo of her she kept running towards the camera and she sat behind looking at the screen it was like she was thinking "how did I look in that one?".

Thin Lizzy
06-16-2016, 02:12 AM
More Birthday Cake! Sherbet's such a lucky girl. Lovely pics especially the 3rd & 4th - so adorable!

SKB_Hamsters
06-16-2016, 02:52 AM
Thank you, Thin Lizzy, the birthday cake is a bit of porridge with some grated carrot (this is my recipe http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/feeding-nutrition/66078-feeding-hamsters-missing-teeth-who-elderly-2.html#post812797) and as she enjoyed it so much the last time I thought she could have one on my birthday. The 3rd and 4th are my favourite and I think she looks adorable, the 3rd one I had to give her some crushed nuts and seeds so she would sit still and the 4th one I was lucky that she stayed still for long enough.

Sherbet has a vet appointment later today, to have her bottom teeth trimmed. I checked her teeth last night and they look like they do need trimming.

Pebbles82
06-16-2016, 03:45 AM
Wow the red bench looks amazing - better than an original red bench! They do like sitting on them I think :-) The photos are very clear - she is looking very well for her age with lots of lovely fur. I find most hammy pictures get blurred anyway lol!

SKB_Hamsters
06-16-2016, 03:58 AM
Thank You Serendipity7000, my red bench turned out better than I initially expected so I'm really pleased with it (Sherbet probably wondering what happen to her bench), Sherbet loved sitting on her bench and also going underneath it.

The photos looked better on my computer screen than on my tablet, so that's probably why they don't look as clear (except the close up they are blurred but they are so cute). But on my camera they are so clear that you can zoom in on the 3rd and see the individual strand of fur. Most photos I get of Sherbet are blurred anyways so I have to give her something to eat to get a good photo so she sits still.

cypher
06-16-2016, 08:52 AM
She does seem very fond of her bench! She looks very content, lovely photos of her & that third one is a favourite for me too :)

SKB_Hamsters
06-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Thank you Cypher. Yes she is fond of her bench. She didn't seem stressed with having her photos taken, she was very content I normally set her photo area up in her playpen so when she had enough she can run off and play in her play area. I really like the 3rd one too, she was really enjoying her crushed nuts and seed, so thought I would get a few photos.

Sherbet had her teeth trimmed this afternoon and Sherbet was on her best behaviour as always. This vet I saw I had seen before on 12th May (3 days after her accident), she was so surprised how Sherbet looked and to see how well she was doing. She had weighing scales set up when we went in, so she was weighed and she weighs around 145g (but she wouldn't sit still for long). The vet scruffed her to check her teeth but Sherbet wouldn't open her mouth and put up a fight as usual, but she tried a different way which was more successful and she managed to get a good look at her teeth. She had her teeth trimmed with some gas anaesthetic and was a little sleepy afterwards and she left some present at the vet (she left them some poos). During the drive home she wouldn't go to sleep and was trying to climb on top of her house in her carry case. When she got back she went to the toilet and went back to bed.

She now having her cuddle times and just had something to eat. I noticed she could eat a lot easier and has eaten a fair amount. She seems happy and is not stressed by her vet trip. I have another vet appointment booked in 2 weeks time to see the same vet and to have her teeth trimed again.

Thin Lizzy
06-18-2016, 01:13 AM
Bless little Sherbet and her trip to the vet, glad everything went well and not at all surprised about the vet's
reaction to how well she looked.

Pebbles82
06-18-2016, 03:18 AM
Glad she survived the vet trip ok :-) Yes the second vet Charlie saw didn't scruff him either. She asked me to hold him so his mouth was facing her. I'm not sure how but she opened his mouth enough to look inside with the Otoscope and to clip his teeth. I was amazed at Charlie's strength - he was pushing back away from the vet, so hard, in my hands he was physically pushing my hands backwards and the vet had to keep leaning forwards to reach!

cypher
06-18-2016, 03:21 AM
Good to hear the vet trip went well, Sherbet really is a little trooper taking things in her stride & it sounds as though you're getting into a good routine with those teeth now.

SKB_Hamsters
06-18-2016, 04:53 AM
Thank you Thin Lizzy, Serendipity7000 and cypher, Sherbet doesn't seem to be phased when it come to vet trips and them clipping her teeth, I think she realises that they help her to eat easier which Sherbet must appreciate as she loves her food. She will need her teeth trimming every two weeks. The hardest part about taking her to the vets is trying to shut her aladino carrier as she tries to climb out as I try to shut the top. She doesn't seem stressed, she even started to fall asleep in my hand at the vets.

Last night Sherbet had so much energy so she had a late night playtime in which she had fun running around her play area, back to her mischievous ways. When I put her back she was running around so fast in her cage and in her bucket wheel. She was having so much fun. Sherbet continues to amaze me with her mischievous antics, I don't think Sherbet has learnt her lesson yet to be more careful. I even had to turn my light on to check what she was doing as it sounded like she was climbing the bars or she was knocking her hanging chews against the bars, but as soon as I turned my light on she sprinted in a flash on top of her cardboard box, acting like she wasn't doing anything and she was sitting there the whole time, as if Sherbet is ever naughty ;). But this morning she been out and had something to eat, she also starting to become vocal again, she always liked to voice her opinion especially if she feels she not getting enough attention, as she climbed onto my hand and looked at me and started squeaking at me to tell me, get me out and cuddle me!

SKB_Hamsters
06-21-2016, 04:32 AM
Sherbet Photos – Hyacinth Tunnel and Grooming

I managed to take some really cute photos of Sherbet today. The first two photos of Sherbet she in one of her favourite tunnels, the Rosewood Hyacinth Tunnel, I did have to scatter some grated nuts in the tunnel so she would slow down a little as she kept running through and I kept getting blurry photos but I managed to get some nice clear photos.
The next 8 photos are of Sherbet grooming herself (be prepared these are photo too cute!), she decided she was going to go and sit in her favourite cardboard box I have in her play area and started to groom herself, I’m so happy with the photos I managed to get. I’m surprised with how agile she still is for her age

A Sherbet Tip – “Even at two, you still need groom yourself so you look your best. Which means you can be extra cute when begging for tasty treats!”

SKB_Hamsters
06-21-2016, 04:34 AM
Here are the other 5 photos of Sherbet grooming herself.

Pebbles82
06-21-2016, 04:50 AM
Aw she does look so cute :-) She has matured in a very pretty way and looks very cuddly and sweet. I particularly enjoyed the hyacinth tube photos (looks like she is smiling in one) as that's just what Charlie looks like in his - they do seem to like just sitting in them - I think they're quite soft and cosy and smell nice.

SKB_Hamsters
06-21-2016, 05:08 AM
Thank You Serendipity7000, She is doing really well for her age (which is a surprise after having her accident, I thought this might age her significantly - but Sherbet loves to prove me wrong!) her back legs are a little stiff after she has woken up but after a good stretch she is back to her normal self, I'm surprised about how well she is aging compared to my past Syrians. Sherbet is still so cuddly and still snuggles around my neck in the evenings. She loves her hyacinth tunnel, Sherbet used to chew it but she can't anymore (I find this a little upsetting) - it must be due to them being slightly soft and smell nice that this is the reason hamsters love these tunnels, I also like it as it the hamster size one (which actually fits a Syrian through). That photo does look like she smiling and also I thinks she asking for more treats as well (Sherbet still loves food she can still sniff out her tubs of treats and still tries to get into them - this is so cute watching her do)

cypher
06-21-2016, 05:13 AM
lol! great photos! She really is a funny cutie, she always looks happy too.

Pebbles82
06-21-2016, 05:43 AM
I know what you mean about finding it upsetting they can't chew things any more, but maybe as they get older they are quite happy not chewing a lot - it could be that they have better things to think about :-) And enjoy slowing down and being more chilled. It's the same with people in someways. My grandmother had an appetite like a little bird when she got to 90 - she hardly ate anything - tiny amounts - but she really enjoyed what she did eat and got some satisfaction in having skinned tomatoes and peeled apples I think - a bit like babies like baby food :-)

SKB_Hamsters
06-21-2016, 01:36 PM
lol! great photos! She really is a funny cutie, she always looks happy too.

Thank You Cypher. I really enjoy watching her groom herself and some things she does are just so funny so she always cheers me up when I'm having a bad day. Sherbet is always happy, the only time Sherbet not happy is when she not getting the attention she thinks she should be getting or when she was recovering from her accident.

I know what you mean about finding it upsetting they can't chew things any more, but maybe as they get older they are quite happy not chewing a lot - it could be that they have better things to think about :-) And enjoy slowing down and being more chilled. It's the same with people in someways. My grandmother had an appetite like a little bird when she got to 90 - she hardly ate anything - tiny amounts - but she really enjoyed what she did eat and got some satisfaction in having skinned tomatoes and peeled apples I think - a bit like babies like baby food :-)

It hard seeing her trying to chew on things, she tries to chew to get into her treat containers, her wood chews she even found a whimzees chew a couple of weeks ago and she was trying so hard to chew it (that was so upsetting seeing how much she wanted to chew it). I still feel partly responsible for her accident, but Sherbet doesn't let anything get in her way of having a good time and she still gives me so much love and enjoys to snuggle around my neck and climbs into my hand when she wants to come out of her cage (I'm so happy to have such a great bond with her). But I'm happy she can eat wet food and crushed food ok, so she eating fine and maintaining her normal weight.

Pebbles82
06-21-2016, 01:52 PM
I think what's nice about them though is that they have a go, even with restrictions :-) It's not your fault :-) It's like people having accidents and breaking their legs - and her teeth had maybe got more brittle with age - it just happened. I bet she enjoyed having a go at it.

As you say, she doesn't let anything get in the way of having a good time :-)

Rads
06-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Love those photos of Sherbet, she is a fab little thing, must do some more of Pip if I can post them

SKB_Hamsters
06-21-2016, 03:20 PM
I know hamsters bring so much happiness into our lives but that comes with a lot of stress with there mad antics - they never give up or take no as an answer. But I always take responsibility for everything which comes having a hamster, but I no longer blaming myself for her accident anymore as I don't know exactly what happened when she was beneath the wardrobe it may have been due to other factors like you mentioned about their teeth being a little more brittle when they get older (still can't believe how she got beneath it, she is not allowed to go in that room anymore). Although I believe everything good or bad happen for a reason even though there may be no explanation why it has happened.
She probably takes after me, as I'm really clumsy, lost count how many injuries I have had.

Love those photos of Sherbet, she is a fab little thing, must do some more of Pip if I can post them

Thank You Rads. I hope your issue gets fixed so you can upload photos of Pip.

Thin Lizzy
06-21-2016, 07:49 PM
I so love her! Brilliant and beautiful pics. She's so expressive and so cute.

SKB_Hamsters
06-22-2016, 01:44 AM
Thank You Thin Lizzy, she has such a big personality and all her expressions after so cute especially her grumpy face.

What Happens if Sherbet Doesn't get her Late Night Playtime.
Sherbet was a little grumpy last night as she didn't get her late night play time, she sure let me know she was not happy. I gave her a reason why she couldn't come out, but as usual she didn't approve my reasoning, which I told her this morning. Sherbet had a 30 minute playtime during the day in which she was running around her play area, so I thought as she already had a playtime today she might not want to come out in the evening. Sherbet also woke up late 1:30am (normally she wakes up at 12.30 to 1am) in which I did check with her if she wanted to come out, but at the time she was grooming herself and she didn't want to be disturbed and gave me a look to say "what!? I'm busy!". So I went to bed, but before I knew she was trying to chew the bars (although she missing her top teeth) and was banging her toys against the edge of the cage, trying to inform me that she didn't get her late night playtime, but by then it was 2am. So I had to attach a piece of cardboard where she was trying to chew, as I was worried she might break her bottom teeth, as that the last thing I want (I normally ignore her before but I was too worried about her damaging her bottom teeth). She kept climbing into my hand as I was trying to attach the cardboard. After I've attach the cardboard and I went back to bed she started to run in her wheel (it sounded like she was running so fast) and she was running around playing with her toys in her cage and didn't attempt to chew the bars again probably thinking fine I will amuse myself then. She taught me a lesson, Sherbet always want a late night playtime no matter what!

Sherbet Tip - "If your humans don't get you out when you want make as much noise as possible. Even though this doesn't get you attention you want as they ignore you but it's so much fun and it must annoy them. It might teach them a lesson for the future, to never assume again I wouldn't want my late night playtime, what does my human know!?"

SKB_Hamsters
06-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Weight Update
I weighed Sherbet today and she now weighs 150g. So she has put on 5g since last Thursday. She looks like she is at her normal weight, and she is starting to eat less now she is eating around 10g to 15g a day compared to 15g to 20g a day that she was eating 2 weeks ago. I weigh her food to see how much she is eating each day.
I've also prepared a batch of wet food for Sherbet which I have put in the freezer in an ice cube tray, I'm hoping that this could make it to easier to prepare her food so I won't have to make a fresh wet food daily, this might make it to easier especially if I'm busy.

Sherbet is also getting some fresh home grown veg with her wet food, which she really enjoys especially a piece finely chopped carrot.

Pebbles82
06-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Lol at Sherbet's playtime antics :-) Excellent news about her weight - she has a very nice diet and is lucky to have home grown veg.

SKB_Hamsters
06-22-2016, 03:23 PM
I can't believe the energy she has at the moment and she has always enjoys her play times and is so grumpy when she doesn't get them. Sherbet has just woken up so I getting her late night playtime for today (I've learnt my lesson)
I was so happy when I saw how much she weighed, as I was worried because she been eating less food so thought she might have been losing weight, but as always she always prove me wrong. I'm glad she enjoys her wet food, she really happy that she being able to eat the same food as she was eating before her accident. Sherbet and all my past hamsters and Guinea pigs have really enjoyed getting home grown veg, especially sweet corn and carrots, they go mad over them.

Also this morning Sherbet had a drink from her water bottle which is first time I have seen her do so since her accident, I was so happy and told her that she was a good girl. She has had a shallow bowl in cage for her water (which I have seen her drink from) or she would lick water off my finger, but was refusing to drink from her bottle, but as she been eating wet food she is getting water from that as well. But I think as she had adjusted so well to just having her bottom teeth, although she has to try and see what she can do though (like bar chewing). But I am so proud of her progress.

Thin Lizzy
06-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Lol! At Sherbet showing her grumpy side when she didn't get her playtime! Reminded me of Twinkle when she wanted more attention and didn't get it.
Great news about her weight gain and drinking from her water bottle. I'm so proud of her continued progress she melts my heart.

SKB_Hamsters
06-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Thank You Thin Lizzy, she has so much personality. She reminds me of my Cookie, but Cookie was a lot more grumpy than Sherbet if she didn't get her playtimes, she would sit on the ledge by her cage door waiting for me, when I used to go to get her out, she would turn her back to me and if your offered any food she would refuse to take it- it was so funny, Sherbet doesn't get as grumpy as Cookie used to but I think Sherbet easily forgets why she is grumpy!

I used the food I froze in the ice cube trays today and it works really well, it defrost really quickly although I need to add a little more water so I might make it a little wetter next time. I've frozen them in 10g portions which she gets one in the morning and the another in the evening, I thought this might enable the food to stay fresher in this warmer weather.

SKB_Hamsters
06-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Sherbet's Cage Layout – June 2016
I did a partial cage clean of Sherbet's cage today, as her cage was set up as a recovery cage for her to continue her recovery in, so therefore it didn’t contain many toys to entertain her but had plenty of places for her to sleep in and she was becoming easily bored which was indicated to me as Sherbet had started trying to bar chew and wanted her playtimes late at night once she had woken up at night. Therefore I decided her cage need to be redesign, so it is still suitable for an elderly hamster and also has plenty of toys to keep her amused at night. I kept half of the cage the same so her cardboard box house and her wheel with the fitch as the substrate and the other half I changed, so she has a substrate of back 2 nature pellets and aspen with a natural theme. Her substrate isn’t as deep as I would normally have it but since Sherbets accident when she tries to dig she starts sneezing, as she did have a sore and blocked right nostril due to a scab after her accident, but she has enough to dig a little if she wants - her cage base is half filled with substrate (she never been a big digger as she prefers to make mountains with her substrate). Sherbet loves her cage layout and I made sure that she can get around her cage safely without any accidents.
Sherbet woke up from her sleep as I had just finished her cage she had a good explore and enjoyed trying everything out especially liking the shelf. After she had a good explore she went back to bed and was waiting for me at 6:30pm for her evening cuddle time.
I’m really happy with how this cage layout turned out as it took a lot of trial and error to see where I could put everything in the cage as well as ensuring everything was safe, and I really do like the look of a natural cage layout, which includes some Christmas decorations which I feel really suit this theme.

Edit - Sherbet has just woken up at 12:30am and she is having so much fun running around her cage, climbing up on her tunnels, running back and forth across her ledge and sprinting in her wheel - she definitely doesn't behave like a 2 year old hamster should.

cypher
06-25-2016, 10:24 PM
The cage looks really good, it does take a fair bit of trial & error to get things right but I'm sure Sherbet is really appreciating all the thought you put into that!

Thin Lizzy
06-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Love the layout, and so pleased Sherbet's enjoying it too. I think she's an anti-aging ham, so love hearing about her energy and recovery. I think I can honestly say she's recovered fully and living life to the max.

Scarlett Empress
06-26-2016, 12:48 AM
Sherbert's cage looks amazing, she has so much to do in there! I'm glad she has had fun checking out the new layout.

SKB_Hamsters
06-26-2016, 02:05 AM
Thank you Cypher, Thin Lizzy and Scarlett Empress.
It took me around an hour to arrange Sherbet cage as it didn't look how I wanted it to so was trying every natural toy as I had ensure she had plenty to do. and then another hour and a bit to tidy up my room, as it was covered with hamster toys and bags of substrate. But it was well worth it, as I think this is one of my favourite cage layouts.
Normally as Sherbet wakes up she will mess up all my hard work but this time I think she approved of everything - I have to think like Sherbet when I arrange her cage.
I find it hard to do a good cage layout in a 80x50cm Ferplast Mary cage and her bucket wheel takes up a fair amount of space and I have to work around it, trying to fit toys in.
She was awake for another 30 mins to an hour after she woke up having fun it so nice hearing them running around when you are in bed.

Yes Thin Lizzy, she could be an anti-aging hamster - I wonder what her secret is - she always been highly energetic and nothing gets in her way of having a good time. She definitely fully recovered even though she still missing her top teeth, but that doesn't stop her trying to chew on toys and the bars. She back to her former self around food if she thinks you are trying to take her food she begins taking big mouthfuls and pouching it in a hurry (she loves food) but she didn't realise I was giving her some chopped up cucumber so in actual fact giving her more food. Hopefully she feels like this for a while to come and continue to be this energetic.

Thin Lizzy
06-27-2016, 01:56 AM
Maybe Sherbet will share her anti-aging secrets for more yummy treats!

SKB_Hamsters
06-28-2016, 03:18 AM
Sherbet being Sherbet
Sherbet is really enjoying her cage layout every night she has been out running around through the tunnels, climbing on top of the tunnel. Her favourite thing is the shelf, the back corner she sits and groom herself and she will sit on the front corner when she wants attention or she is watching me. She is still using her wheel as is still running like normal - she loves her bucket wheel I'm so glad I made it for her, she used it more than her old trixie wheel (she hated the front panel going in and out through the holes). Yesterday morning when I checked on Sherbet I had noticed she been digging, there was aspen on top of some of her tunnel and toys, with a few little holes she had dug one was just beneath her food bowl and the other outside her toilet. It was so cute last night I went out of my room and when I came back she was looking through the bars waiting for me to come back (it look like she was wondering were I went) as soon as I came back she started to climb the bars, demanding attention as usual. I think Sherbet needs to slow down a little as she does everything in full speed, she runs around like she is still a little baby, jumps onto her tunnels - it's good to see she can still get around well although she two, but her cage is set up so it's safe for her. Every night she been coming out for her cuddle - she really enjoys this she like to snuggle around my neck and also her late night playtime at 11:30pm, she wakes up and waits on her ledge to come out as soon as I open the door she get excited and before you know it she is sitting on my hand, she gets to play in her play area, in which I have to sit with her she has so much fun and enjoyment running around playing with her toys and also climbing all over me but the one thing she hates is when it's time to go back in her cage as soon as she put in her cage she will try to find a way out and will try to chew the bars and climb the bars, but when you ignore her she will go in her wheel for a good run and will go to bed after awhile.

Maybe Sherbet will share her anti-aging secrets for more yummy treats!

She might share her secret with some more treats - but I think I will need to give her a lot though. She had some of her Easter egg (hamster safe Easter egg - she still has a little leftover from Easter) in which she goes mad for - I broke it up into little pieces for her and she ate some and pouched a little to have later.

Thin Lizzy
06-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Bless her still having some of her easter egg left. If I ignore Harvey, he'll run on his wheel very loudly as he'll be heavy footed and what a noise.

SKB_Hamsters
06-30-2016, 02:57 PM
Vet Trip - Teeth Trim
I took Sherbet to the vets today to have her bottom teeth trimmed today - can't believe it been 2 weeks already - Sherbet was on her best behaviour as always. I nearly saw the vet who suggested having her teeth removed as the one I booked to see was running late but told the receptionist that I prefer not to see him and would rather wait to see the vet I booked to see as she I more knowledgeable on small animals (as she has pet chinchillas), I had to wait 20 minutes longer I got a blanket out of the car to keep her warm as they had the air conditioning on and it was getting a bit cold and to keep her carrier dark. Sherbet was weighed and she actually sat still long enough to get a weight - she weighs 150g (which is the same as she weighed last week but 5g more than 2 weeks ago). Sherbet wouldn't let the vet easily look at her teeth I had to hold her still and tried to stop her paws from pushing the vets finger away. She got her teeth trimmed with some gas anaesthetic and the vet who I didn't want to see helped her do it, which I wasn't to pleased about but he did mentioned about having her teeth removed but the vet I was seeing said she wouldn't recommend doing that. The vet said that it look Sherbet top teeth are regrowing but her teeth may slightly turned at an angle so both teeth won't be flush like her bottom teeth, she also said they don't feel loose and feel quiet strong - so I have my fingers crossed.
I also asked the vet I check her right eye as it looked bigger than the other sometimes so I wanted to ensure it wasn't anything to worry about especially after everything Sherbet has been through. But when she was still under gas anaesthetic she had a look she said both her eye balls were the same size, but said it could look bigger due to her accident or due to how her surgery wound healed. But I'm glad it nothing serious.

When Sherbet was brought back into the room in which I was waiting she seemed quiet lively and awake. She even began grooming herself after her teeth was trimmed so she must have been relaxed. She was awake in the carrier the 5 minute car journey home and had some grated homegrown freshly picked carrot when she got home which she enjoyed.

Bless her still having some of her easter egg left. If I ignore Harvey, he'll run on his wheel very loudly as he'll be heavy footed and what a noise.

If she had her way she would have eaten all her Easter egg on Easter Sunday, as soon as she smells it she goes crazy trying to grab it out of my hand she climbs into the box thinking it should be in here. It's really cute when she first got it and her trying to chew her way into her egg.
Sherbet does a similar thing to Harvey, she runs so heavily in her wheel but she likes to bangs her toys against the bars of her cage - it makes so much noise. But she soon realises that it doesn't get her anywhere so she goes back in her wheel. My past Syrians used to put all of their hoard in there wheels and run, the noise that makes is unbelievable, but I'm glad Sherbet hasn't figured that one out yet.

cypher
06-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Good to hear she's still doing so well & fairly relaxed about her vet trips, time does fly when you have to get teeth trimmed, I remember it well!

Pebbles82
07-01-2016, 12:52 AM
Glad to hear the tooth trim went ok, although the vet visit did sound a bit stressful with the wait and the other vet being involved! Done now :-) So how often do they say the teeth need trimming? I'm interested because I need to keep an eye on Charlie's teeth as well.

SKB_Hamsters
07-01-2016, 02:29 AM
Thank you cypher and Serendipity7000. Sherbet is always fairly a relaxed hamster so she doesn't mind all the new smells or people as long as she get attention I don't think she minds, the only time she not happy is when the vets try to look at her teeth, but Sherbet has never tried to bite me or the vet when we have to look at her teeth she pushes us away with her paws.
Can't believe it's been over 7 weeks since she had her accident as well.
It was stressful as soon as I could see the other vet was helping as the vet room doors have little windows in it so you can see out the back and the room I normally go in you can see just into the room she has her teeth trimmed in only when the door opens. I was worried she would come back with no bottom teeth. But the vet I saw didn't agree with having her teeth removed which was reassuring.

Last night I hid some crushed up treats around her cage for Sherbet to find, she was so excited trying to find were I had put them.

So how often do they say the teeth need trimming? I'm interested because I need to keep an eye on Charlie's teeth as well.
Sherbet teeth need trimming every 2 weeks but her bottom teeth are cut fairly short as she doesn't have her top teeth to wear them down. They initially said around 1 to 2 weeks but I took her back after one week before and they were still ok and didn't need trimming. But I keep a close eye on them around 1 week to make sure they are not causing any discomfort, I normally know they need cutting when she can bite into soft veg like cucumber easily. This time she said I could leave it longer but I have still booked an appointment for 2 weeks, just in case.
How long has it been since Charlie had his teeth cut? You could try him with the monkey nuts again.

cypher
07-01-2016, 05:43 AM
I found it was generally around 2-3 weeks, the teeth do grow quicker in summer so it can be a bit longer in winter, it does vary though so watching how they eat & weighing them weekly at least really helps.

SKB_Hamsters
07-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Sherbet Photos - Red Extendable Tunnel
Here are a few more photos of Sherbet running out of her red extendable tunnel. I’ve been trying for a while to get a good photo, it’s really hard when Sherbet sprints through the tunnel, that I have to slow her down a little with some treats at the end (at first she didn’t realise the treats were there and ran over them). Before I knew it Sherbet had disappeared off and was trying to get into her treat tub with her crushed up treats, getting up to mischief as usual. Here are the photos, my room was really bright today, which is unusual, and so the photos seem a little bright.
Also my battery on my camera ran out which was a little frustrating, but I had a fully charged battery near by so could quickly change it.

Pebbles82
07-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Love the photos :-) She looks really cute.

Thin Lizzy
07-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Aww Sherbet makes me smile, lovely pics!
It can't have been easy seeing the other vet helping, it's good to know that they don't all agree and why getting a second opinion is important especially when you don't agree, after all we know our hamsters better than a stranger.

cypher
07-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Lovely photos & so nice to see her having fun, the second one looks as though she has a little smile on her face :)

SKB_Hamsters
07-02-2016, 02:55 AM
Thank You Serendipity7000, Thin Lizzy and cypher. Sherbet really enjoys her extendable tunnels (when I have them in the cage she likes to bury her food in them) and has so much fun when she has her playtimes. But she runs through the tunnel so fast that the time I managed to take some of the photo she gone off running around the rest of her play area.
The 2nd one does look like she smiling. The 4th one I've just noticed she sticking her tongue out.
Sherbet always seem to make me smile too.

I'm trying to wean Sherbet off wet food and to get her back onto eating crushed dry food, but I don't know the best way to do it as I don't want to remove wet food completely as I don't know whether it will upset her stomach as she been used to eating wet food since her accident. I have put a bowl of crushed dry food in her cage which I have seen her eating from. She can eat crushed dry food ok, which I'm gradually trying to reintroduce. But I'm worried about doing this as I haven't seen Sherbet drinking from her bottle as much but this could be due to her eating wet food and getting water from that.
But what would be the best way to get her back to eating dry food? Or would it be best to continue giving Sherbet wet food?

It can't have been easy seeing the other vet helping, it's good to know that they don't all agree and why getting a second opinion is important especially when you don't agree, after all we know our hamsters better than a stranger.

It was so stressful knowing he was involved but they can see I want the best for Sherbet and as you have said we know our hamsters so well and that we want the best for them.
I now try to see the same vet I saw on the last two visit as she seem to have more experience with small animals, she looks confident when holding and checking Sherbet teeth (which is a good thing as Sherbet won't feel scared). She also has weighing scales set up when we go in to weigh Sherbet which is more that the other vet did, he didn't understand why I wanted her weighed he said to me once she has looked like she has put on weight so she fine! But I'm not saying he is a bad vet as he did Sherbet operation which I'm grateful for as not many other vets wouldn'thave operated on a hamsters let alone one who is 2 years old. A second opinion is always great thing to have though as it help you to make informed decisions.
But as he was so for having her teeth removed and I'm so against having her teeth removed I would not be able to trust him trimming Sherbet teeth as I would be worried she would come back without her teeth.
But I told this vet that I wouldn't want to remove them as what would I do if her top teeth regret and I was in the same situation but the other way round, but she doesn't believe its necessary to remove her bottom teeth. They are not bothering her causing or causing any discomfort or pain to Sherbet and the vet said it looks like her top teeth might be growing as she said she could see more of them than 2 weeks ago. So there is hope.
Also I wouldn't want Sherbet to have another operation unless it's was essential to save her life as she is 2 years old.

Thin Lizzy
07-02-2016, 04:39 AM
No vet is ever trained the same as others, you'll probably find that some have a keen interest in small animals and get that training whereas some are more keen on cats & dogs.
I've found that at my vets.
I actually found the male vets more interested in my hamsters, and they also spoke to them.
But, there's a female vet there that I refuse to see, she was so rough with Archie and in doing so he yelped out and bit her (he was awarded with praise and treats). I knew I wouldn't like her, the minute she called us in, so cold and rude.
That's so great about there being more growth in Sherbet's top teeth.
With the wet food, she'll have gotten water from it, it's the same with fruit & veg as they can be very hydrating.

cypher
07-02-2016, 05:22 AM
She won't have needed to drink much with the wet food so it's not surprising you haven't seen her use the bottle much but she should go back to using it without any problem as & when she needs to, if you're worried you could give her a small bowl of water & see how she gets on with that.
I doubt the change of diet will upset her stomach at all, do it gradually but the sooner you can get her onto dry food again the better really, she'll still be getting some water from her veg too so I really don't see any problem with just changing her back to normal ham food.

SKB_Hamsters
07-02-2016, 03:48 PM
No vet is ever trained the same as others, you'll probably find that some have a keen interest in small animals and get that training whereas some are more keen on cats & dogs.
I've found that at my vets.
I actually found the male vets more interested in my hamsters, and they also spoke to them.
But, there's a female vet there that I refuse to see, she was so rough with Archie and in doing so he yelped out and bit her (he was awarded with praise and treats). I knew I wouldn't like her, the minute she called us in, so cold and rude.
That's so great about there being more growth in Sherbet's top teeth.
With the wet food, she'll have gotten water from it, it's the same with fruit & veg as they can be very hydrating.

I've noticed it too that some vets seem to be more confident with treating hamsters than others. I also trying to see the same vet each time I get her teeth trimmed as she can see how she is doing and can notice if there is anything different with her, and it saves repeating everything what happen when she had her accident as I still find it upsetting. The vet who suggested removing her teeth was cold and rude, he didn't look confident checking Sherbet teeth either. I had to try not to argue with him about removing her teeth, as soon as I left the vet, I said I'm not seeing him again.
I'm hoping her teeth continue to grow so she can go back to eating her food again without it being crushed. She loves food, she always seems to be looking for food like normal.
That is the reason I'm worried to take her off wet food as she is getting water from that, but I need to try to get her back to dry food gradually which I'm starting to do now.

She won't have needed to drink much with the wet food so it's not surprising you haven't seen her use the bottle much but she should go back to using it without any problem as & when she needs to, if you're worried you could give her a small bowl of water & see how she gets on with that.
I doubt the change of diet will upset her stomach at all, do it gradually but the sooner you can get her onto dry food again the better really, she'll still be getting some water from her veg too so I really don't see any problem with just changing her back to normal ham food.

Thank you cypher, this is really helpful advice. She currently has one of bowl in her cage which I have turned upside down with a bit of water on it as I have tried a shallow dish with a little amount of water before but I saw Sherbet standing in it and I don't want her to get wet, but an upside down bowl works well, I did see her the other day drinking from it but it hard to tell how much she is drinking or if it's just evaporating. I have seen her drink out of her bottle occasionally.
I will give her a bit of wet food during the day when she has her cuddle time until I can know she is definitely eating the dry food and is drinking from her bottle, I'm keeping a bowl of dry food in the cage all day and night from now on, with a piece of fresh veg. Hopefully she will be back to eating just dry food soon.

Thin Lizzy
07-03-2016, 01:46 AM
You know Sherbet inside out, if you feel you want to continue with some wet food then do so, having a bowl of her dry mix in at all times will give her a choice. You could always weigh the dry food so you know if she's eating it. But don't worry, Sherbet's a super trooper ham and doesn't let anything stop her progressing.

SKB_Hamsters
07-03-2016, 02:58 AM
I've been weighing her wet food since her accident to see how much she been eating, I also weighed her dry food last night, so I will see later how much she has eaten.
But I want to get her back to dry food, as she beginning to start pouching her wet and I don't want her hoarding it and for it to go off. So I think dry food sounds like a better option than wet at the moment.
I also moved her dry food bowl where I normally put her wet food, I thought this might encourage her to eat her dry food. Her dry food is the same mix I have been giving her as wet food, in which she has really been enjoying eating.

Sherbet came out for playtime last night, I'm still shocked by the amount of energy she had, she was out for half and hour, I think I was getting more tired than she was, she was playing with all her toys, running around her play area and it looked like she was having a great time. She was back to being vocal when she wants some attention. She never stops being cute. I also tried showing her the end of her bottle to encourage her to use it again and she did drink from it, which is a good sign. She also pouched some dry food too.
I don't think she should have a problem transitioning back to dry food as Sherbet will eat anything, she loves food. It might be a little strange as she got used to wet but I think this is the next step in her recovery.

Thin Lizzy
07-03-2016, 04:54 AM
Great that sherbet took water from her bottle and it does sound like she's enjoying her dry food once again.

cypher
07-03-2016, 06:41 AM
I think while they really enjoy some soft/wet food as a treat they actually prefer dry food when they can eat it so I'm sure she'll soon adapt again.

I want her secret to boundless energy at any age lol!

SKB_Hamsters
07-03-2016, 09:48 AM
She has tucked into some dried food this afternoon, she at first wouldn’t eat it from her bowl and would only eat it from my hand but after she eaten from my hand a bit she was happy to eat out of her bowl.
I also want to know her secret to her boundless energy to, probably plenty of sleep and lots of food that’s my guess.

My DIY House A Gift for Sherbet

I have made Sherbet a brand new house, as she is 2 years old I thought she might like a nice big cosy house in which she can make a nice big nest inside. This is also a little gift for Sherbet for recovering so well from her accident as well as she has and I thought it would be something she would really appreciate as Sherbet does love to sleep.

The dimensions of the house are (not including the roof) are approximately 22cm x 15cm x 14cm (L x W x H) the internal dimension are 2cm smaller as the wood has a thickness of 1cm. The doorway is 8cm wide and 10cm high, providing a nice large doorway for Sherbet to get in and out of. The house is fairly tall, so that I can place the house on the cage base which can allow me to have a deep layer of Fitch inside and outside the house, this was also mean the door way won’t be a high which will mean that the house will be nice and dark inside, with plenty of Fitch for Sherbet to make a nest in with her torn up tissues. Sherbet has tried the house out for size outside of her cage (I did get a picture) but she looks so small inside, so she will have plenty of room inside for a big nest.
The roof is 24cm x 22cm, which can be placed on the house in two different ways, depending upon where the house is put inside the cage. I have made the roof fairly large so it will also act as a cage shelf, so Sherbet will definitely enjoy sitting on top of to groom herself. The roof also has a slight overhang which will help to shelter her food bowl. The roof can be removed to access the inside of her house.

The house is not currently in her cage so can’t get a photo of it inside her cage with her using it, but once it’s in her cage I will be sure to take photos once Sherbet has made it home. Hopefully she won’t use it as her toilet.

The house is made out of kiln dried pine wood which is being held together using dowel joints and PVA glue and has been painted with plastikote to ensure the house will be easy to clean and to protect the wood. The colours I have used are sunshine yellow for the roof and the rest of the house is painted with crème de la crème. I’m still a little unsure on the colour at the moment but once it’s in her cage I think it will look better as it will suit a natural theme and match her orange bucket wheel.

The house has taken me 1 week to make, spending around 1 hour each day as I needed to allow for PVA glue to dry overnight and paint to dry. The house has cost me £6.37 for the wood, and I already had all the other supplies I needed already.

Here are a few photos of the house at different angles the first one show how I’ve joined the walls together and the rest show the complete house at different angles I have include some tubs of plastikote to help show the size of the house. I didn’t realise how many pots of plastikote I have - 10! (not all are included in the photo).

SKB_Hamsters
07-03-2016, 09:49 AM
A couple more photos of her new house

cypher
07-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Nice work on the house! It looks great & I'm sure she's going to love it :)

SKB_Hamsters
07-04-2016, 05:18 AM
Thank you, I can't wait to put it in her cage, can't wait to see the big nest she makes inside of it.

Thin Lizzy
07-04-2016, 05:33 AM
She's so going to make one massive nest.
Love the house!

SKB_Hamsters
07-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Thank You Thin Lizzy, she currently has it in her playpen for her to get to it and to get her scent on it, when I next do a partial cage clean I will swap her cardboard box she sleeping in at the moment for her new house keeping her nest the same.

Sherbet has been eating some of her dry food, she always seem to put one piece of her shredded tissue in her bowl every day even when she had her wet food. Last night I saw Sherbet drinking from water from her bowl. Also last night Sherbet let me know her wheel wasn't working properly, as it sounded like it wasn't spinning properly and when I checked on her she kept going round the back of her wheel, that when I realised that one of the bolts on the back of her bucket wheel had tightened a little to tight therefore stopping the wheel ball bearings from spinning properly, so once I loosened it slightly Sherbet had jumped back in her wheel and was happily running in her wheel . She even kept getting out of her wheel, peering through the cage bars at me getting excited. She didn't come out for her playtime last night as she was happy to run in her wheel. It makes me wonder how long it hasn't been working properly, although it still spun but not as easily.
I gave Sherbet a little piece of finely chopped homegrown green bean today, she absolutely loved it and ate a little before she quickly pouching the rest. It must have been good!

As I was typing this Sherbet decided she wanted to type something herself on my tablet, not sure what she means "hapapZurtbnuyc" (it might be in hamster language) she loves touching the screen, closing my apps down and she really good at zooming in and out. Sherbet also had a little tip "show your humans what's wrong with your wheel if it is not working properly, as they can help fix it for you so you can then run faster"

SKB_Hamsters
07-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Sherbet woke up earlier tonight at 11pm, and I could hear her digging. I went to check what she was doing as I couldn't work out where she was digging as it sounded strange. It turns out she was digging in her toilet kicking everything out of her toilet (her toilet has back 2 nature pellets and aspen in at the moment). I've noticed before Sherbet used to dig in her toilet occasionally. I spot cleaned her toilet the other day and I haven't cleaned anything else in her cage since my last cage clean over a week ago, she didn't seem stressed but it looked like she was having a good time, probably thought she would do some housework and would start by freshening her toilet up. But a little while later she was waiting for her playtime, so I got her out but she smelt of her pee, I don't think she realise that's not what eau de toilette means. But she had a good playtime nevertheless and she did have a good wash which did freshen her up again. Sherbet is always up to something, I wonder what is next ...?

Pebbles82
07-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Lol! Sounds like she was having fun :-)

Thin Lizzy
07-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Isn't it great when they let you know somethings wrong with her wheel by going round to the back of it and showing you, I let out a big Awww reading it.
She sure likes to keep herself amused in her cage.

SKB_Hamsters
07-05-2016, 01:28 AM
Lol! Sounds like she was having fun :-)

She did look like she was having a lot of fun, she didn't approve of me disturbing her though to see what she was doing.

Isn't it great when they let you know somethings wrong with her wheel by going round to the back of it and showing you, I let out a big Awww reading it.
She sure likes to keep herself amused in her cage.

Sherbet normally let me know when something is wrong and occasionally shows me what is wrong. She does do some really cute things as I initially thought she has kicked too much substrate beneath her wheel and it was rubbing on that, turns out I was wrong and Sherbet was right, again.
Sherbet sure does like to keep herself amused with all the silly things she does at night but most of the time she rather be out of her cage, that why she has her playtime at night instead of during the day, as it calm her down a little, so she is a little more careful.

SKB_Hamsters
07-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Quick Update

Sherbet is back to a complete dry food diet so she not having any wet food (as she kept pouching it), although her food needs to be crushed so she can eat it. She has been doing really well and has started to drink from her bottle again, seen her have little drinks throughout the day, like normal. It's a lot quieter when she drinks now didn't notice she was drinking this morning until I saw her, she always used to chew the bars around her bottle spout before drinking - but she can't do this anymore. She has her piece of fresh food every day, some homegrown (carrot, green beans, cauliflower) and a few shop bought like cucumber which she loves, although it does need to be finely chopped. She back to her crazy self around food, she is so greedy, although she did turn her nose up at some linseeds earlier, but she ate some once I put them in her bowl. She still remaining the same weight of 150g.

After Monday night antics, the next morning Sherbet had decided to put all her toilet substrate back in her toilet, but Tuesday night she decided to kick it all out again and fill her water bowl up with substrate - she must having been doing a substrate absorbency test - so I have removed her bowl as she back to drinking from her bottle and also as she started to fill it up with substrate. She still very hyper running around her play area, in her cage and wheel, she still keeps getting up to mischief. I'm glad my little troublemaker, is back to her normal self, she definitely likes to keep me on my toes.

Thin Lizzy
07-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Well done Sherbet on being back on dry food and drinking from your water bottle, so proud of you.

cypher
07-07-2016, 12:23 AM
So glad to hear she is managing to eat so much better & is drinking ok, she's done so well there really is no stopping her!

SKB_Hamsters
07-07-2016, 04:48 AM
Thank You both
She never let anything stop her, she has so much determination.
It's so nice seeing her drink from a bottle again, I'm so proud of her too.
I left a chunk of cucumber in her cage last night and cut it so she could get to the soft middle, when I went to bed it was next to her bottle where I put it (she had eaten all the finely chopped pieces), this morning it was gone, as she had moved it to her toilet. She has managed to eat a little of it. Don't understand why she wants it covered in pee though.

cypher
07-07-2016, 06:39 AM
lol! who knows what goes on in their little heads ;)

SKB_Hamsters
07-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Sherbet had a special treat this evening a little piece of plain scrambled egg, she absolutely loved it. She has never had scrambled egg before when I give her egg is normally hard boiled. After she had finished eating she started squeaking a little whilst looking at me, it looked like she was asking for more. She always does this after I give her treats, it so sweet.

lol! who knows what goes on in their little heads ;)

I know, it makes me wonder sometimes. But she probably thinking she can eat and pee at the same time, she normally put her fresh food in her house which I think is a good idea, as she won't have to leave her bed to get food.
But she amazes me sometimes. She normally wakes up, goes to the toilet get something to eat or drink and back to bed, but the whole time her eyes are still shut - I normally say she sleep walking.

SKB_Hamsters
07-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Sherbet is still doing well, but Today Sherbet kept having sneezing fits which I'm a little concerned about. She was sneezing very hard whilst rubbing the end of her nose, which it because it looks like her right nostril being slightly blocked, tried looking but it near enough impossible when Sherbet hates staying still. I will keep an eye on Saturday and will take her to the vets if she is still sneezing. She occasionally get a blocked nose but she manages to clear it quiet quickly but today she having a little difficulty clearing her nose. Is there anything I can do to help her clear her nose when it get slightly blocked? She did get better as the day went on.

She is still behaving normally, eating and drinking fine and has the same amount of energy. I have told the vets about this before but they think it due to her accident where she hurt her right nostril which also had a scab over due to her injury, (in which she sneezed the same way as she has today), this also causes her right eye to be stuck shut when she awakes from her sleep. But she doesn't sneeze every day, so I think this is why they think it due to her injuries from her accident. Sherbet is also sensitive to dust, so that why I use substrate with no or minimal dust, so I don't know whether her nose gets blocked due to a little dust, but she was fine after she was digging the other nights, I don't know if it due to some of her food being crushed a little too fine, so has sieved her food to be on the safe side. So I don't know what causing her to get blocked nose?

cypher
07-08-2016, 09:17 PM
The sneezing dust sound a little bit of a worry, if it did begin to improve then hopefully it will resolve itself without her needing to go to the vet again, it does sound as though it could be a physical change in her nose somewhere after her accident so i don't really think there is much more you can do, making sure her food isn't too fine & there's nothing dusty or powdery that could block her up a bit is the best idea.
Sorry I don't have any other suggestions, I know some people use herbal infusion around the cage for colds sometimes, not sure I would tbh but I doubt something like that would really help much in her case.
Fingers crossed it passes quickly.

SKB_Hamsters
07-09-2016, 01:51 AM
Thank you Cypher. She is still sneezing today but it's no where as bad as yesterday, I will keep a close eye on her.
I have looked into herbal remedies, but I couldn't find one to help relieve a blocked nose and don't know whether it will work.
Normally when she has a blocked nose, if Sherbet or myself gently wipes the even of her nose, it clears it and then she fine but this doesn't seem to be working.
Ok, It does seems like it due to her injury to her nose from her accident, as that the only side which gets blocked. Might have a little bit of scar tissue in her right nostril which might have narrowed that part of her nose?
I've sieved her food to get rid of dust or powdered food (she has buried her hoard in her wheel - so she can run and eat at the same time ;))I don't know what may be causing it as the rest of this week she been fine no sneezing at all, no blocked nose and no sticky eyes, except yesterday.
I noticed she was sensitive to dust last year when Sherbet's substrate used to be carefresh, the dust from that made her sneeze so bad (took her to the vets to be safe side last year), since not being housed on carefresh her sneezing is very minimal except if I put dusty substrate or I get to the end of her food in her cage. Since then I try ways to get dust out of bedding and food, so it doesn't bother her. Which seems to be working as she rarely sneezes.
That's I think why I'm concerned about her sneezing at the moment so don't know what else that could be causing it other than from her injury, or dust from food, as she is behaving normally. I have not done a full cage clean for 2 weeks but have spot cleaned her cage (including her toilet), so there is nothing new in her cage.
Hopefully it will clear up for her soon.

cypher
07-09-2016, 03:01 AM
It's almost impossible to know for sure but something like scar tissue or some minor structural damage inside her nose does sound like the most likely cause & maybe just a bit worse if she was particularly sensitive to dust to begin with.
Still no bright ideas about how to resolve it though, sorry, I think you're doing all the right things already.

SKB_Hamsters
07-09-2016, 03:43 AM
Okay Thank you Cypher.
It doesn't seem to be bothering her, and she normally lets me know if somethings bothering her as she doesn't behave normally. She obviously trying to sneeze hard to help to get rid of her blocked nose. I will continue to keep a close eye on her though, if I notice anything which causes alarm I will take her to the vets.
I don't think the vets would be able to determine either if there is anything blocking her nose as there noses are so tiny (and cute). Also as Sherbet won't let me look at her nose as she rather be running around its a little tricky for me to look.
Also the fact this has happens rarely, and hopefully it's not something to serious.
But I hope something that Sherbet can relieve herself. As she is sneezing less it might be starting to clear up. It just sounded similar to the noises she made after her accident all day until her nose cleared, which brought back some sad memories.
But I have her teeth trimming appointment on Wednesday so I can mention it then and see what she says, they might be able to look at her nose as she will be under gas anaesthetic.

Thin Lizzy
07-09-2016, 05:32 AM
Sherbet had a special treat this evening a little piece of plain scrambled egg, she absolutely loved it. She has never had scrambled egg before when I give her egg is normally hard boiled. After she had finished eating she started squeaking a little whilst looking at me, it looked like she was asking for more. She always does this after I give her treats, it so sweet.

I know, it makes me wonder sometimes. But she probably thinking she can eat and pee at the same time, she normally put her fresh food in her house which I think is a good idea, as she won't have to leave her bed to get food.
But she amazes me sometimes. She normally wakes up, goes to the toilet get something to eat or drink and back to bed, but the whole time her eyes are still shut - I normally say she sleep walking.

I did laugh at Sherbet sleep peeing, eating and drinking. Twinkle used to sleep eat and it always made me laugh.
Sherbet's sneezing does sound as though it could be to do with scar tissue. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious. I'm sure vets have instruments small enough to look up the nose. Be sure to ask next time you're both at the vet.
I must try scrambled egg with Harvey the next time I buy eggs.

SKB_Hamsters
07-09-2016, 06:07 AM
It is funny watching them pee, eat and drink with her eyes shut. She used to get food from her hoard take it back to bed to eat it and then put it back in her hoard also the whole time her eyes are shut.
I will definitely mention it. It's one advantage of her having her teeth trimmed every two weeks, as if I notice anything which concerns me with her health, I can mention it to the vets and they can look at it after she has her teeth trimmed when she still under gas anaesthetic. I'm hoping it nothing serious too and just scar tissue to.
Sherbet did love her scrambled egg, I'm sure Harvey would love it to.
Last night when I was having some Cherries, from our tree in the garden, the smell was to good for Sherbet to resist so she awoke from her sleep and starting to eat my cherry before I had even started to eat any of them. She loved it and kept surprising clean!

Thin Lizzy
07-10-2016, 12:54 AM
Maybe it's a Man-Ham thing about getting into a mess with cherries lol! You should've seen my fingers and lips after eating a load of them.
Harvey looked so cute as the cherry colour stands out in his white fur.

cypher
07-10-2016, 02:28 AM
That made me smile, Sherbet getting to the cherries before you did, she obviously didn't want to risk missing out, wise ham that she is :)

Good idea to ask the vet about the sneezing when you go, hopefully it's nothing to worry about & the vet will be able to put your mind at rest.

SKB_Hamsters
07-10-2016, 08:41 AM
I took Sherbet to the vets this morning, as I was a little worried she was still sneezing as before I went to bed last night she was sneezing really bad and I also I got a bit emotional yesterday when I had to spot clean her cage, replaced the cardboard box she was sleeping in for her new house but I couldn't get anything to fit back where it was and Sherbet woke up and she was running around her cage but kept sneezing which upset me. Which left me worrying.
My vets is only open between 10 and 11 am on Sunday, in which you can turn up without an appointment. Got there at 10.20 and didn't get seen until 10.50, as there was only one vet but luckily it's the one I have been seeing for Sherbet to get her teeth trimmed. She said she could see a bit of discharge from her right nostril, so I have been given antibiotics to give to her. Sherbet puts up a fight as usually, I also managed to see her top teeth, in which are growing at a slight angle towards each other, she didn't know if this would affect her nose. I still have the appointment book for Wednesday for her teeth trimming and she will have a good look then. She did mention that an x-Ray might be the only way to determine whether her top teeth might be causing a problem, and they wouldn't able to do a detailed enough x-Ray but did mention that she might refer Sherbet to the vets she goes to for her chinchillas, it might be a long drive, but she said they have dental x-Ray machine which might be required to get a detailed x-Ray and said they have really good specialist small pet and exotic vet. She also said by the way her teeth are growing and if they are causing problem to her nose that removing her teeth might be something to consider, but an x-Ray would be the best way to determine this. She also said it was good I brought her in today, as she can see if the antibiotics have helped Sherbet and what best to do next? This has put my mind at rest for now but I have to see what she says on Wednesday to see what best to do next.
She has lost 3g but she was moving around a lot on the scales. I might try her on my scales as her weight has remained at 150g recently. She has been sneezing a lot which might mean she starting to find it difficult to eat as one nostril looks to be blocked, I have given her some wet food to go with her dry food, so I know she can eat what she find is easiest. But she is still pouching food and when I give her some by hand she eats it, and I see her quiet a bit during the day eating.

Maybe it's a Man-Ham thing about getting into a mess with cherries lol! You should've seen my fingers and lips after eating a load of them.
Harvey looked so cute as the cherry colour stands out in his white fur.

Sherbet normally makes a lot of mess eating, but I had to hold it as it still had the pip in it, as Sherbet was still asleep I was going to take the pip out her cherry but she thought it smelt too good that she didn't want to wait. She did have cherry juice on her paws but she licked that off.

That made me smile, Sherbet getting to the cherries before you did, she obviously didn't want to risk missing out, wise ham that she is :)

Good idea to ask the vet about the sneezing when you go, hopefully it's nothing to worry about & the vet will be able to put your mind at rest.

When ever I eat any fruit in the evening and I have her out she sit eating from my bowl or tries to take it when I'm trying to put it in my mouth, she doesn't want to miss out on anything. She is a wise hamster, but she thinks all this nice fresh food is all hers, but doesn't realise I eat it to.

SKB_Hamsters
07-11-2016, 02:37 AM
Last night (early hours of today) I had to sit up with Sherbet from 00:30 to 01:30, as Sherbet was sneezing really bad which was a little worrying. So I got her out a was cuddling her to calm her down, that when I noticed the end of her nose was blocked and she just had a little gap in the blockage for her to breathe through her nose, which every time she breathed she was making a whistling sound. I tried to help her clear her nose and she wouldn't sit still. She started grooming herself in which I think she managed to clear her nose as the whistling noise stopped and her sneezing wasn't as bad, so put her back in her cage for the night.

This morning she a little snuffly, but a lot better from last night, hopefully everything will get better from now on, after Sherbet clearing her nose. She seems to be better as her right eye is not stuck shut this morning.

But she was really cute last night at 22:00, when I put her back in her cage after cuddle time, she was sitting on her cage shelf grooming herself, when I checked on her later she had fallen asleep whilst grooming, I gently waked her up and she went straight back to grooming like she never had been asleep. It was so cute and then she went back to her bed.

cypher
07-11-2016, 03:31 AM
That does sound cute, Sherbet falling asleep while grooming then just picking up where she left off bless her, my little Mickle used to do that too.

It sounds as though you had a bit of a worrying night/early morning with her nose problem, good to hear it seems a little better now, I hope the vet can suggest something if it does get worse again.

SKB_Hamsters
07-11-2016, 03:41 AM
It was really worrying seeing how bad she was sneezing, as she was sneezing so hard. When I saw the vet on Sunday she said she will look at Sherbet nose when she has her teeth trimmed but said a x-Ray might be useful to determine if there is any other problem with her nose or teeth (as the top teeth are growing towards each other). But hopefully everything will get better.

cypher
07-11-2016, 03:44 AM
Fingers crossed for her.
An x ray does sound like it may be the only way to see what might really be going on, I did wonder if the damage to her teeth could be having an impact on her nose if there's some change in the roots.
She seems to be coping well still so try not to worry too much.

SKB_Hamsters
07-11-2016, 03:57 AM
Thank You cypher. It's hard not to worry to much, but she is still behaving her usual self so I have hope everything will be ok. She does like a cuddle which calms her down. All these health problem Sherbet has gone through are upsetting I'm just hoping there is no more and she can continue to be herself like she has been doing recently until she started sneezing on Friday.
It does sound like her roots of her teeth might be causing problems. But the vet said there x-Ray machine won't be able to get a detailed enough image, so I might be referred to another vet which is a 40 minute drive. I have my fingers crossed to.

Thin Lizzy
07-11-2016, 09:07 PM
This is a minor setback, hopefully the antibiotics will help her. I had a feeling that it might be to do with her top teeth growing back and at a slant but the x-ray will determine if that's the cause.
I'm not surprised you were worried and glad you got the same vet on Sunday. Sherbet's a little trooper and this won't faze her. Big hugs to her xxx

SKB_Hamsters
07-12-2016, 02:41 AM
2 Years Today

On the 12th July 2014 at 9:35, Sherbet came into my life, bringing so much joy, happiness, mischief and plenty of snuggles. I did look around the weeks before getting Sherbet to see if there any Syrians available for adoption but unfortunately there wasn't any in my area. I decided I wanted to get my new hamster from the same p@h store I got Cookie from, as she was super friendly, healthy and a fairly big hamster. When I got to the store I had a look at the hamsters for adoption and for sale, and Sherbet caught my eye straight away, with her beautiful colouring although she was still fast asleep when her sisters were trying to impress me. She didn't have a name for 2 days as I couldn't find the right name, but then I decided I liked the name Sherbet, she is named after some of my favourite sweets - sherbet powder, sherbet dib daps and lemon sherbet.
It doesn't feel like it been 2 years since I got her, time has seemed to have flown by, but Sherbet and I has developed such a close bond between us and she has to much character that these two years have not been boring, it was worrying thinking that she wouldn't make it to today due to the unfortunate event which happened on 9th May, but I'm so glad we have made it to today. She is such a special hamster to me. Hopefully we can enjoy plenty more time together. As she means the world to me.

This is a minor setback, hopefully the antibiotics will help her. I had a feeling that it might be to do with her top teeth growing back and at a slant but the x-ray will determine if that's the cause.
I'm not surprised you were worried and glad you got the same vet on Sunday. Sherbet's a little trooper and this won't faze her. Big hugs to her xxx

Thank you Thin Lizzy. I'm hoping this is a minor set back and nothing to serious. Her top teeth are growing like this \ / into one another and they are touching each other, but have only really grown over the last 3/4 weeks. The only thing that seems to faze her is her sneezing (which have now are a lot better) but a nice cuddle with a gentle strokes up her nose and a little massage calms her down. She still seems fairly energetic.

cypher
07-12-2016, 04:57 AM
Time does fly but they cram so much love & fun into our lives during the time they're with us, I'm so glad you got to celebrate today & hope you have lots more happy times ahead.

Happy Gotcha day Sherbet :)

SKB_Hamsters
07-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Thank you cypher from Sherbet and myself.
Time has definitely flown by and she has has crammed a lot into 2 years.
I got her a little present, she probably not happy it's not food, but I got her a little shallow dish in the shape of a teapot (it's for teabags), which is an ideal size to use for her crushed dry food or wet food.

SKB_Hamsters
07-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Vet Trip - Teeth Trim
Sherbet had her teeth trimmed today, she was in her best behaviour as usual. Sherbet had a little pee in the gas anaesthetic box, which when she went under anaesthetic box she got her pee all over her side. They did clean her up.
The vet also looked at her top teeth and nose. She said Sherbet top teeth look ok but just a bit crooked, she doesn't think they are too bad. She noticed that Sherbet nose had cleared up since Sunday. But she did notice behind her top teeth that she had an unusual piece of soft tissue, that has a piece what she think might be bone fragment (around 2mm in size) she thinks that this is from the roof of her mouth (but I don't know whether it could be a piece of fragment from her top teeth when they broke as I never manage to find her teeth). She didn't try to remove the fragment, as when she touched the soft tissue it started bleeding, so didn't want to remove it just in case it started to bleed to much, she doesn't think it will cause her any problem, however there may be some form of connection between her nose and her mouth, which might cause her nose to get blocked therefore she has to remain on antibiotics. Sherbet isn't going to be to pleased that she has to keep having medicine, she hates taking it and she puts up such a big fight. I have another appointment booked for 2 weeks.
It's a bit upsetting that she still has problems from her accident (other than her teeth and a the occasional blocked nose), but it doesn't seem to bother Sherbet so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I have been giving Sherbet the choice between wet and dry food since Sunday, she has be preferring to eat her wet food recently. But she still has a choice to eat what she prefers. She still seems fairly energetic, her sneezing has stopped but she is a little bit snuffly in the morning.
She wanted a playtime last night running around playing with her toys and had a run in her wheel. She was being her mischievous self she seemed like she was having a lot of fun.

SKB_Hamsters
07-14-2016, 03:53 AM
Photos From Sherbet Playtime -
Sherbet was fairly energetic last night she had a good run in her wheel, it looked like she was having so much fun. She came out for a playtime, in which as usual Sherbet was running around enjoying herself. Its so nice watching her have fun, never letting anything stop her having fun.
I managed to get a few photos, they aren't not the best photos as they were taken late at night and I had to use a light source (probably not the best light) to take the photos (I don't use the flash on my camera when taking photos of Sherbet). I also was playing around with different settings on my camera to, so quality isn't the best (I still don't know what some of the functions do).

Here are the photos I took, Sherbet was sitting in her favourite cardboard box, (her grooming box), she was having a good wash and these photos I got after she had finished washing. I really like the second one, as she is sticking her tongue out.

cypher
07-14-2016, 07:57 AM
It is a shame that she still has problems from her accident, it doesn't really seem to be stopping her from enjoying life though & that's the main thing.
I imagine there could be some inflammation around that soft tissue which might be causing the nose problem, fingers crossed it may sort itself out or at least not cause her too much of a problem. Eating must be a bit uncomfortable I guess so it's not so surprising she wants her wet food now.
Lovely photos, that second one made me laugh :) the third one is really so cute too.

Thin Lizzy
07-14-2016, 07:24 PM
2 Years Today

On the 12th July 2014 at 9:35, Sherbet came into my life, bringing so much joy, happiness, mischief and plenty of snuggles. I did look around the weeks before getting Sherbet to see if there any Syrians available for adoption but unfortunately there wasn't any in my area. I decided I wanted to get my new hamster from the same p@h store I got Cookie from, as she was super friendly, healthy and a fairly big hamster. When I got to the store I had a look at the hamsters for adoption and for sale, and Sherbet caught my eye straight away, with her beautiful colouring although she was still fast asleep when her sisters were trying to impress me. She didn't have a name for 2 days as I couldn't find the right name, but then I decided I liked the name Sherbet, she is named after some of my favourite sweets - sherbet powder, sherbet dib daps and lemon sherbet.
It doesn't feel like it been 2 years since I got her, time has seemed to have flown by, but Sherbet and I has developed such a close bond between us and she has to much character that these two years have not been boring, it was worrying thinking that she wouldn't make it to today due to the unfortunate event which happened on 9th May, but I'm so glad we have made it to today. She is such a special hamster to me. Hopefully we can enjoy plenty more time together. As she means the world to me.

Thank you Thin Lizzy. I'm hoping this is a minor set back and nothing to serious. Her top teeth are growing like this \ / into one another and they are touching each other, but have only really grown over the last 3/4 weeks. The only thing that seems to faze her is her sneezing (which have now are a lot better) but a nice cuddle with a gentle strokes up her nose and a little massage calms her down. She still seems fairly energetic.

Firstly, a belated congratulations to you and Sherbet for your 2 year anniversary on 12th July.
I've had problems with my internet and tablet for 3 days and couldn't post on HC.
Lovely pics of super trouper Sherbet, I too love the second pic.
It's a shame she's still got problems, and this one only started when her top teeth started to grow back, inflammation does sound about right. No matter what crosses her path, she takes it in her stride and battles on. It's so great that she's still having fun and energetic.

SKB_Hamsters
07-15-2016, 03:53 AM
It is a shame that she still has problems from her accident, it doesn't really seem to be stopping her from enjoying life though & that's the main thing.
I imagine there could be some inflammation around that soft tissue which might be causing the nose problem, fingers crossed it may sort itself out or at least not cause her too much of a problem. Eating must be a bit uncomfortable I guess so it's not so surprising she wants her wet food now.
Lovely photos, that second one made me laugh :) the third one is really so cute too.

Thank you cypher,
Sometimes it feels like once she battled through one thing there is another one waiting. It get me really emotional sometimes as I really want Sherbet to be healed and healthy again. I'm hoping it will sort itself out. It hasn't caused her to lose any of her appetite she is as greedy as she always been, I've occasionally seen her eat dry food but it seems like wet would be easier if her mouth a little sore.
She still hates getting her antibiotics, she puts up such a big fight, her front paws are now called her boxing paws, as she likes to push that syringe away from her mouth and she pushes really hard. I have to tell Sherbet "this is to make you better!"
These photo really show her expressions well and her cuteness, she never fails to cheer me up. She also was being extra cute, she probably knew I was a little upset, as she kept peering over her toys at me with a really cute face to cheer me up and she was trying to get herself some more treats out of her treat tub.

Firstly, a belated congratulations to you and Sherbet for your 2 year anniversary on 12th July.
I've had problems with my internet and tablet for 3 days and couldn't post on HC.
Lovely pics of super trouper Sherbet, I too love the second pic.
It's a shame she's still got problems, and this one only started when her top teeth started to grow back, inflammation does sound about right. No matter what crosses her path, she takes it in her stride and battles on. It's so great that she's still having fun and energetic.

Thank you Thin Lizzy,
It's so nice spending the 12th July with Sherbet, it felt so special, as only one of my past have has every made it to their 2nd year anniversary/gotcha day, which was Cotton, so it did make it a little sad thinking about my other hamsters who I didn't get to spend such a special day with but I'm glad that after everything Sherbet been through we managed to get this day with one another.
I wish all her health problems from her accident would clear up, she been through so much and she is still dealing with other problems, this is what upsets me. Hopefully everything will get sorted, but Sherbet never lets anything get in her way of having a good time. She is incredible and an inspiration as she never let anything stop her from being herself, that one of the many reason why I love her so much. Yes, she is still fairly energetic and enjoys having fun, although she has slowed down a little recently, she not wanting to come out as much but we still enjoy our cuddle times in the evening on the sofa, she gets so comfy sleeping on my shoulder or around my neck, which is so nice.

Pebbles82
07-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Love the photos :-) Glad she is doing so well despite the issues.

SKB_Hamsters
07-18-2016, 03:31 AM
Sherbet is still continuing to do really well doesn't seem to be showing her age to much, she does sleep a little more than normal and not wanting her playtimes as often but a few times a week she normal demands them, it's so nice seeing her run around having fun and she goes back in her cage when she wants. She still loves her food, as soon as I go to give her treats she grabs it quickly and then demand more, when she has her evening cuddle time when she wakes up she normally wants some food so I have to give her wet food on a spoon a little at a time, as otherwise she will pouch it, as soon as she smells it she grabs the spoon with both feet and holds on, but she gets food on her feet she will either wipe them on me or food goes flying around as she shakes it off, she is such a messy eater, she makes a such a mess.
She is still a little snuffly in the morning and her right eye gets a little stuck shut, but soon as I help her to open her eye she stop snuffling.
But I have now had Sherbet the longest out of all my past hamsters (Used to be Cotton at 2 years and 3 days) and currently I have had Sherbet for 2 years and 6 days. Making Sherbet now 2 years and 6/8 weeks and around 6 days old.
Sherbet still grooms her self a lot, she always has to look her best, this means her fur is still so soft and cuddly.

Love the photos :-) Glad she is doing so well despite the issues.

Thank you Serendipity, I'm still surprised with how well she doing and I'm so happy she still fighting through her issues and not letting them stop her being herself.

cypher
07-18-2016, 06:40 AM
Love reading her updates :) Her messy eating made me laugh!
Glad she only has a little sniffle now & the sneezing has stopped.

Coco61
07-18-2016, 10:45 AM
So pleased Sherbet had her second birthday with you. Quite a landmark day. She has had such a lot to contend with but still takes care of herself which is lovely. What a lovely little girl she is - cute photos of her.

SKB_Hamsters
07-18-2016, 03:05 PM
I weighed Sherbet earlier she weighs around 150g, so her weight is remaining the same, which is so good to see.
I've been trying to keep her cool during this warm weather with some slightly cold wet food, and some cool fresh food. My room stays fairly cool during the day, she sleeping half in her nest and half not, she builds her nest up when she cold or flattens it down when she hot, so it half and half also as she not sleeping in a house she moved out last week (she sleeping between her house and wheel), so this must be helping her to remain fairly cool.

Edit - it's 00:30 Sherbet is really energetic tonight running around she looks like she having a lot of fun. She was just out for a short playtime as it getting a little late, she wasn't best pleased when I put her back in her cage, being all cute at the cage bars. She had a good run in her wheel and climbing over her toys, running through tunnels. I don't know where she get this energy from. And now she having a good groom. It's so nice seeing her all happy and playful at her age.

Love reading her updates :) Her messy eating made me laugh!
Glad she only has a little sniffle now & the sneezing has stopped.

Thank you cypher,
It's funny how much mess she makes when eating her wet food but she normally get her wet food all over my clothes so I now have to put her on a blanket when she eats, but that doesn't stop the flying food! I normally say to her "look at all this mess you have made!" and she looks back at me with the cutest most innocent face, which is so sweet.
I'm so glad that she stop sneezing, as it looked so bad when she was as she was sneezing so hard, it was so hard to watch and it was so worrying seeing. I think the antibiotic are helping her, it getting a little easier to give them to her, but still puts up an almighty fight.

So pleased Sherbet had her second birthday with you. Quite a landmark day. She has had such a lot to contend with but still takes care of herself which is lovely. What a lovely little girl she is - cute photos of her.

Thank you Coco61. It was so nice that we could share her 2nd birthday and her 2 years gotcha day together, it felt really special after the nightmare of her accident. Sherbet is such a wonderful little girl with such a massive personality, who loves to keep herself cleaned so she always looks her best.

Thin Lizzy
07-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Absolutely love Sherbet's updates, my heart melts when I read them. She's a super trooper!

SKB_Hamsters
07-19-2016, 04:51 PM
I've been trying to keep Sherbet cool today in this warm weather, she spent most of today downstairs where it's been nice and cool, she back in my bedroom tonight, it still a little warm still but it getting cooler so she has a ceramic tile and a large ceramic dish in her cage to keep cool on.Sherbet did enjoy sitting in the ceramic dish she was being all cute when sitting in it. She has her wet food, which I keep in the freezer so that's nice and cool for her when she eats it (i don't give it to her when it's too cold). Sherbet been also finding ways to keep herself cool by sleeping in other places in her cage including in her toilet (don't know if that effective at keeping her cool, but it sure makes her smell a little of pee) and on a cage shelf. She didn't have her proper cuddle time this evening as she normally sleeps around my neck but it's to warm for me and for her, so she slept under a thin blanket.
She not to happy tonight as I didn't get her out for a playtime, as it a little warm still and I don't want her to get to warm, as she enjoys climbing over me. But she had fun making a lot of noise in her cage - protesting not been able to come out. But has been having fun in her wheel and with her toys in her cage.

She currently gone to sleep on her a shelf in her cage where she normally sits to groom herself.

It reminds me of 2 years ago when I got her as there was similar weather then!

Absolutely love Sherbet's updates, my heart melts when I read them. She's a super trooper!

Thank you Thin Lizzy. I'm glad you enjoy reading them. She definitely a super trooper!

SKB_Hamsters
07-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Sherbet has been staying cool today she is in her DIY holiday/hospital bin cage downstairs today so she can remain cool during this heat, she sleep in a nice nest which she made up. She had some cucumber to stay cool today, which she loved.
This warm weather is helping Sherbet nose to remain clear, it doesn't get blocked, but she has a little runny nose and weepy eye this morning however she has been fine the rest of the day after she had her antibiotics and I also gave her some food which normally makes her perk up a bit.
Sherbet is really active again tonight, she been climbing the bars in her cage and even trying to do monkey bars which really scared me - luckily she was doing it from a cage shelf so she want too high but I told her that she shouldn't be doing this at her age and this is how accident happen, I did block that area of the bars off to be on the safe side. So I thought it would be safer for her to have a playtime to calm her down a bit, probably due to her not getting her playtime yesterday. I've also seen Sherbet sitting in her ceramic dish a bit this evening cooling herself down. It feels so strange keeping a 2 year hamster cool, when it's normally you are trying to keep the, warm at this age, but have been keeping a close eye on her to ensure she at the right temperature. Although she currently sleeping next to her ceramic tile with her head buried in the Fitch and bum on the tile.

cypher
07-20-2016, 11:31 PM
She hasn't lost her sense of adventure has she ;)
Maybe she was missing her play time the day before in spite of all the heat & was making sure you took notice & got her out!
Sounds like she found her own best way to stay cool in the end there :)

Thin Lizzy
07-21-2016, 05:33 AM
Aww! Sherbet's very sensible, she knows what keeps her cool.
I did laugh at her monkey barring.

Coco61
07-21-2016, 01:28 PM
What a very funny though sensible sleeping position to keep cool. Quite a girl, Sherbet!

SKB_Hamsters
07-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Thank you cypher, Thin Lizzy and Coco61. She definitely found the best way to stay cool with this sleeping good position. It was so cute and funny to see but very smart of her! She sleeps next to the ceramic tile when she hot and when she comfortable she goes back to her nest.
She had some pear today as a little treat, she managed to chew into it herself and used her bottom teeth to pull out small pieces of the pear, she loved it especially as she could eat it herself.

She hasn't lost her sense of adventure has she ;)
Maybe she was missing her play time the day before in spite of all the heat & was making sure you took notice & got her out!

No she hasn't lost her sense of adventure, she likes to make me worry about her nighttime antics, I wish she would be more sensible though, I don't want her having any more accidents. She does miss her playtimes when she doesn't have one and she let me know when she not happy about missing out!

I did laugh at her monkey barring.

She never really known how to do it properly she just hangs to the top bar with her front paws and let's go. I have a strip of cardboard attached to the top of the front of the cage to prevent her doing this and her garland chews along the back but some how she managed to get to the top bars, she just has too much determination, I wish she would be more careful.

cypher
07-21-2016, 10:17 PM
Sherbet is really determined with that monkey barring! There is only so much you can do to stop it I know, where there's a will there's a way ;) It is both funny & scary, I worry if I see my Chineseys doing it & they have that little tail to hold on with!

SKB_Hamsters
07-22-2016, 03:37 AM
Sherbet always amazes me with how much determination she had but I would prefer if she used it to do safer activities. I always have to ensure her cage is as safe as possible to prevent any injuries. At least when my past Syrians hamsters did monkey bars they were a lot safer and didn't just let go but Sherbet has never managed to master monkey, so it really scary to watch I have to run over to her cage and help her down safely, I'm afraid of her having any more accidents.
That must be so cute seeing your chineseys tails holding on, but must still be a little worrying to watch.
I don't understand why hamsters like to do monkey bars though? Probably to just scare us!

SKB_Hamsters
07-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Sherbet is still doing well, however she is not as active recently than she has been not wanting her playtime and preferring a cuddle, she been sleeping a lot more but is still fairly active when she wakes up. Some day she doesn't seem to be eating as much wet food as usual and turning her nose up at some food I offer her but she is still remains 150g, but I have seen her eating a bit more dry food, I don't know whether this is because her teeth are getting longer and are bothering her but she has her teeth trimming appointment on Thursday. On Sunday Sherbet did enjoy a bit of roast chicken.

Last night as Sherbet was sleeping in her nest next to her wheel but I couldn't see her as she was camouflaged in her Fitch and shredded tissue and I was getting really worried as I couldn't see her anywhere in her cage, it was such a relief when I found her.

She is still snuffly occasionally, although her eye hasn't been getting stuck shut recently but her nose sometimes gets a little blocked which causes her to sneeze, she was sneezing a little the other night.

Sherbet will be coming on a short trip for a few days with me soon. I would prefer not to travel with her at this age but she has travelled before in the car when she was younger and she sleeps the whole car trip it around an 1hr to 2hr drive away. I would prefer to not to travel with her but she needs her wet food changed 3 times a day to keep the food fresh and I don't trust anyone to look after her especially after what she has been through lately. I would also worry about her to much. I will keep a close eye on her and will find a good vet locally to were I'm going to be on the safe side, just in case she need to see the vet. She will be staying in her DIY bin holiday/hospital cage which I connect to the other DIY bin with a rat tunnel so she has enough room for her bucket wheel.

Edit - As I posted this Sherbet woke up and she has a lot of energy and was running in her wheel. She was even waiting for a playtime.

cypher
07-26-2016, 09:26 PM
It's only natural to worry about your lovely Sherbet but she does seem to be doing well still, with all she's been through there are bound to be ups & downs still & at her age it's normal for her activity level to vary more I would think.
She does still sound as though she's enjoying life & being nicely spoilt though so try not to worry & enjoy your time together.
I'm sure she'll be fine travelling with you & far better to take her than worry that she might not get the care she needs while you're away, I have no doubt she'd miss you if you didn't take her!

SKB_Hamsters
07-27-2016, 02:36 AM
Thank you cypher, I seem to constantly checking Sherbet making sure she is still well. It feels strange at the moment as Sherbet not as active as I really enjoy watching her run around her play area and hear her in her cage at night - it was so nice last night she had so much fun in her play area I gave her some treats she would only take them from my hand and if I put them in her bowl she started to search my hand instead for more and even somehow managed to climb into her carrier which is surprising to me as she puts a protest in being in there. I'm enjoying our time together she is such an incredible hamster.
I think that her age maybe catching up with her, but Sherbet is normally very lazy anyways.
She definitely well spoilt and I'm hoping she continues to improve she probably feel better after her teeth trim.
I definitely think travelling with her will be the best option. So she will be with me and I can monitor her closely and can provide her with the extra care she needs at her age and from her accident. And Sherbet can snuggle with me in the evenings.

She is still so sweet and doesn't pee on me still at her old age, she gets a bit restless and looks at me I put her in her DIY bin cage which I have downstairs which I put her during the day in this warm weather. She will pee and will sit staring at me to come out again. She is the only hamster I had that would do this my others would pee over me or on the sofa.

Thin Lizzy
07-27-2016, 09:16 PM
That heart in the mouth moment when you can't see her in her cage. Harvey's done that a few times!
I'm glad you & Sherbet are travelling together on your short trip. Like you, I wouldn't be happy leaving her with anyone after what she's been through. You'd constantly worry while away. At least this way, you can enjoy some special time. I know you say she's slowing down but, she's still energetic. I love the bond the 2 of you have and her continued progress. When's your little trip?

SKB_Hamsters
07-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Thank you Thin Lizzy. That's is the main problem with a white hamster is that they camouflage in their toilet paper nest and the Fitch. Normally I can see the top of her head so she easier to spot than an all white hamster would be, but it is worrying especially when you can't see them anywhere else. I'm going away this weekend for a long weekend away. It will be nice but even nicer as Sherbet will be there and I can keep a close eye on her. I have had such great bonds with all my past hamsters, but the bond I have between Sherbet feels different and is really special. I'm so happy she came into my life and is still continuing to do well now that she is 2 years and around 2 months old.

Vet Trip - Teeth Trim

Sherbet had her teeth trimmed today. Everything went well, although she did keep waking up during the gas anaesthetic, so it was a little more difficult for the vet to trim her teeth than normal. She still has to remain on antibiotics until the bottle is empty (the antibiotics were measured out), she isn't going to like that as she hates taking her medicine, she get so grumpy when I have to give them to but a nice treat afterwards which makes her soon forget about the medicine. Her weight has fallen to 146g from 150g, this could be due to her age or that her teeth were making it difficult for her to eat. Hopefully Sherbet will continue to remain strong and fight back to her normal weight.

cypher
07-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Poor Sherbet, it's not nice having to keep going to the vet but she does seem to be coping really well, & you too for that matter!
I found with Flynt that his weight would often drop alarmingly (being a dwarf he didn't have much to lose!) just before a teeth trim even though they were being done every two to three weeks so Sherbets weight loss may be similar, those teeth can grow so fast it is hard to stay ahead.
She's going to be getting well spoilt with the best care so I'm sure she'll remain strong & thrive.

SKB_Hamsters
07-29-2016, 02:20 AM
Thank you cypher for sharing information about your Flynt, about his weight changes when his teeth were due to be clipped, this is reassuring and hopefully this is the same for Sherbet, her weight change isn't too alarming at the moment as she is still eating (although before her teeth trims she doesn't want to eat as much) and when she had her accident her weight fell to 130g from 150g (so hopefully it won't fall that low again, as that was scary)

Sherbet and myself are coping well with vet trips but Sherbet is a very confident hamster so I feel more comfortable with taking her to the vet as I try to see the same vet so she get used to the smell of that vet although next time I will have to see another vet (as the vet won't be there for a month). The only thing Sherbet doesn't like about the vet is waking up when she get called into see the vet she is fast asleep. Also this teeth trimming the vet was helped by a visiting training vet so he has now got some hamster experience which is a good thing.

Thin Lizzy
07-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Hope you and Sherbet are enjoying your little trip away. xx

SKB_Hamsters
08-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Thank you Thin Lizzy. We are enjoying are little trip away it so nice after a busy day to have a nice snuggle with Sherbet to relax in the evening, who is still doing really well. I will post more info about her little trip when I get home as it's hard to type long posts on my tablet.

Thin Lizzy
08-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Aww so lovely to hear you're both enjoying your break.

cypher
08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Sounds like you are both having a lovely time, look forward to hearing more when you get back :)

SKB_Hamsters
08-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Thank you Thin Lizzy and Cypher. We got back from our trip to Dorset this afternoon, this short trip was relaxing but fairly tiring, I’m looking forward to sleeping in my bed tonight, but Sherbet had a good trip to she seemed really comfortable and relaxed with everything.

Day 1 – Friday Evening we travelled down to Dorset which was normally around an 1hr and 30min drive, we were delayed by 30mins due to a traffic accident, however Sherbet slept the whole journey fast asleep in her travel cage, the only time she woke up was to quickly have a pee before returning to her house. When we arrived I set up her DIY bin cages with some Fitch from her cages which are connected by a ferplast rat tunnel, which provides her with a similar amount of space to her normal cage. She had room for the necessities, I decided initially not to put her wheel in as she hasn’t been using much recently and placed in more toys instead, she was fairly energetic and enjoyed running through her rat tunnel. After she had explored she wanted her cuddle, she had fun exploring the sofa and found a nice comfy spot to sleep around my neck lying on the cushion behind. Then it was time for Sherbet least favourite time of the day – medicine time – she was not happy at all, swiping the syringe away from her mouth with her boxing paws and trying to wriggle away, eventually she cooperated and took her medicines. I took a batch of frozen wet food with me which was in an ice cube tray which slightly defrosted; luckily that wasn’t a big mess.

Day 2 – Early hours of Saturday morning I could hear Sherbet awake she was fairly energetic and running around her cage climbing on top of her toys, it looked like she was looking for her wheel which later that day I switched some of her toys for her wheel which she did appreciate. I was out most of Saturday, so Sherbet had the day to herself and she probably had a nice sleep all day. I got Sherbet out for a playtime when I was trying to put her wheel in her cage as she decided that she wanted to help, so she was getting in my way a little making it extremely difficult to put the wheel in without her sitting where the wheel needed to go – hamsters do like to help out but they don’t realise sometimes they make things a lot more difficult – nevertheless she did enjoy a little playtime before she snuggled up with me on the sofa, until it was medicine time, again she put up an almighty fight but a little temptation of a piece of walnut made her willing to take her medicine and she got the walnut which I crushed for her as a special treat for taking her medicine well – a walnut definitely helps the medicine go down ;).

Day 3 – She had another day to herself as I was out for most of the day. After a long day out it was nice to snuggle with Sherbet in the evening. She was fairly vocal this evening, probably protesting that I had been out all day again and left her on her own. However she got a special treat of some roast turkey, a little Sunday treat – she loved it – she was really impatient with me tearing it into smaller pieces for her to eat easily and grabbed my thumb luckily her teeth her been trimmed recently so it didn’t hurt but she does get a little nippy around food. Sherbet took her medicine after a little bribe again but her paws still swiping the syringe away from her mouth.

Day 4 – I had a long busy day which I got wet from the rain so I was fairly cold and it took forever to get back due to traffic. She was awake when I got back to where we were staying so got her out for a little cuddle before I had dinner but she found a nice place to nap down my sleeve however this wasn’t an easy place for her to get out of when she awoke from her sleep without digging her claws into my arm to climb out. Later that evening I gave Sherbet some crushed seed and nuts which she was so excited to eat, but this caused her to sneezed a bit which she get extremely grumpy about but after a nice massage she soon fell asleep. She took her medicine a lot better tonight.

Day 5 – This afternoon we came home, Sherbet again travelled really well, she did come out to go to the toilet twice once after setting off and as soon as we got home. I set her cage up when I got home, I have done a new layout as her cage was due a clean out – I will post pictures soon of her new layout – she was a little grumpy once she was put back in her cage although as soon as I showed her to her bed which I had transferred from her travel cage she curled up and went to sleep.

Sorry for the long post, but Sherbet seems to be still doing well although is slowing down a bit although she enjoys her cuddles in the evening. Sherbet also sneezed less when we were away as it was warmer where we were staying so her nose didn’t become blocked and her eye didn’t get stuck shut. I didn’t take any photos of Sherbet whilst I was away as Sherbet was mainly sleeping and cuddled with me, although I could hear her awake at night having a little run in her wheel.

cypher
08-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Don't apologise for a long post, I love reading about your time with Sherbet :)

Glad the trip went well & she enjoyed her holiday, shame she still has to take her meds but she's getting plenty of treats to make up for it so I'm sure she doesn't mind too much.
Her cuddles with you sound so adorable.
She really is an amazing little lady & it's always lovely to hear how well she's doing.

SKB_Hamsters
08-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Thank You Cypher, Ok I'm glad you didn't mind reading the long post about Sherbet, sometimes I think I ramble a little. I would like not to have to give her medicine as she gets really grumpy but they are to help make her better, but a nice tasty treat helps her to take them. She the only hamster who I have had who likes to snuggle around my neck it so sweet, my others used to curl up in a blanket instead. Sherbet is amazing and she keeps amazing me with how well she is doing although she is starting to show her age a little more at the moment.

Sherbet’s Cage Layout – August 2016
Sherbet was due a cage clean and also need a new cage layout as she become less active so therefore her previous layout wasn’t ideal for her any more due to the cage shelves, this layout is fairly basic compared to layouts I have done for Sherbet in the past, although I do like the way it looks and Sherbet seems to approve. The layer of Fitch isn’t a deep as I would normally have it as it been compacted down as Sherbet is a little clumsy after she wakes up so therefore its more easier for her to walk on being compacted and also I’m running low on fitch so need to order a new bag.

On the left, Sherbet has her DIY bucket wheel, with a flat bendy bridge outside which is the same level as the wheel so there isn’t a step in or out of her wheel and she has her bottle, ferplast drinky, inside the cage so it lower for her making it easier for her to reach than if the spout was through the bars. She has 3 tunnels which I set up as a three way tunnel system which connects all parts of her cage together, they are some of her favourite tunnels especially the hyacinth and willow tunnel – last night she enjoyed running through these. Sherbet then has her red extendable tunnel which is securely attached to the bars which allows her to easily access the roof of her house and has a natural wooden ledge as a barrier to stop her from jumping off – initially I didn’t want to give her access to the roof of her house as I don’t want her trying to jump off but Sherbet would be determined to climb up so I thought it would be best to give her an easy way up and down. On the right side she has her DIY wooden house which she has a made a nice big nest in and the roof helps to shelter her wet food bowl and dry food bowl (as she like her bowls to be slightly covered). Then she had various different chew toys, including a few Christmas ones, inside her cage to make her cage look nicer, although she can’t chew them due to her teeth. She seemed to enjoy this layout last night. The pictures are linked below; there is no photo of Sherbet exploring her cage as she is fast asleep inside her house.

cypher
08-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Her new layout looks lovely, really well thought out to suit her needs now, nice & safe & easy for her but it still looks as though she has loads to do & enjoy in there, I'm sure she must love it :)

SKB_Hamsters
08-04-2016, 01:13 AM
Thank you cypher. Sherbet seems to enjoy it and she gets around it easily and safely which is nice to see. I managed to find where Sherbet was peeing, which is in the middle of the 3 way tunnel system. Yesterday she had a special treat of some walnut porridge which she loved especially as she doesn't like plain porridge.

Thin Lizzy
08-04-2016, 03:00 AM
I love your long posts!
Glad you both had a lovely holiday in Dorset. Bless Sherbet for sleeping on the journey down. I did laugh at her trying to help with the wheel - she's such a sweetheart.
Oh she doesn't like her meds, swiping away the syringe made me smile. Aww at her enjoying her walnut.
I too love Sherbet's new layout, I love the colours and all the bits connecting.

Coco61
08-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Glad you enjoyed Dorset. A lovely county I think. Comforting to have Sherbet with you so you could keep an eye on her and it seemed to all work out ok.
Nice new layout for her now. Hope she is settling and enjoying it.

SKB_Hamsters
08-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Thank you Thin Lizzy, we had a good trip and it was so nice Sherbet being there to. Sherbet likes to be helpful when I do cage cleans but she doesn't realise that sometimes she makes things more difficult as she normally likes to sit in my hand or sit in the way so I give her shredded toilet paper so she can be helpful by making her nest up instead. She hates her medicine but it to help her feel better - some form of tasty treat makes her take it better.
I like how bright colours look in this layout, and she seems to be enjoying and it nice to know her cage is safe for her especially as she slowing down.

Thank you Coco61. Dorset is such a lovely county. It was so comforting knowing that Sherbet was there so I could make sure she was okay. This layout is really ideal for her at the moment, she seems to be enjoying her cage as is getting around her cage safety and easily.

Thin Lizzy
08-06-2016, 12:41 AM
Sherbet reminds me of Twinkle with the cage cleans. Her obsession with my marigolds used to have me giggling and it always delayed the cleaning!
I know Sherbet appreciates her cage alterations.

SKB_Hamsters
08-06-2016, 03:39 AM
I've been getting a little more worried about Sherbet at the moment as she been snuffly a lot recently and she been turning her nose up to food - she will eat a little but then doesn't want any more and if I'm offering her food she will shove it away with her paw, although she been really only been eating crushed nuts and seeds out of her dry food and a bit of veg - therefore when I weighed she weighs now 142g (normally 150g, previous time weighed 146g) -she also gets really snuffly after she eats - so I don't know what to feed her to maintain her weight as she won't touch baby food and is eating a little wet food. But she still looking really well and is still seems to be getting around ok.

Sherbet reminds me of Twinkle with the cage cleans. Her obsession with my marigolds used to have me giggling and it always delayed the cleaning!
I know Sherbet appreciates her cage alterations.

Sherbet does appreciate her cage alternations as she can get around a lot easier, she doesn't tolerate them as well as when she was younger but once she finds her bed she fine. She helps out less now that she older but still likes a input every now and then.

cypher
08-06-2016, 05:45 AM
It is a bit worrying that she's lost weight again, 4g isn't a lot but if she's lost interest in food to some extent then she may lose more.
What meds is she on now? Sorry I can't remember but I was wondering if she might need anti inflammatories of some kind but I'm not sure if she already has those? I was just thinking about the inflammation she had in her mouth before.
It is normal for them to lose some weight as they age & it can be hard to find things to encourage them to eat I know, the crushed nuts & seeds from her mix must be doing her good but I guess that's not a really balanced diet, does she eat porridge or just dried oats? Either one is good if they'll eat it.
It may just be that she's a bit uncomfortable eating again if she's snuffling, when's her next vet trip due?
Sorry I can't think of any helpful suggestions really.

SKB_Hamsters
08-06-2016, 06:10 AM
She currently on antibiotics, which I thought they might be contributing to her weight loss by killing good bacteria too so she having some probiotics to help. She been on antibiotics for 3 weeks and the vet said continue to give them until they run out but I have over a weeks worth left. So I don't know whether to continue to give them to her or not.
Sherbet next vet trip in on Wednesday.
She will only eat porridge if I mix nuts or veg into it, she won't eat it plain, I also incorporate porridge into her wet food. I will try her with some porridge.
It nice to see she eating something but it not a lot and it not a balanced diet.
When she eats she doesn't snuffle but will start when she has stopped eating or when she gets to excited about food.
It's strange seeing her refusing food, as Sherbet loves food, and she not even trying to pouch her food either just pushes it away. Sometimes she would only eat it if I gave it to her on my hand but she will turn that up to. Although earlier she did eat some dry food which I made for her yesterday. But I will keep trying with different food to see if she will eat them.

cypher
08-06-2016, 07:19 AM
That does seem a long time to be on antibiotics but if you're going to the vet on Wednesday you could ask about it then, I always give probiotics if mine have been on antibiotics, I did find that Potent brew (http://www.ratrations.com/potent-brew-dr-s-p-1727.html) really seemed to give mine a boost when they weren't well or had been on meds, I use it once a week with all my hams now. The meds could be contributing to her weight loss, I have found that even though they need them & it may clear up what it's been prescribed for mine have seemed to go downhill for a while on antibiotics.
Have you tried her with just dry porridge oats? I don't know if she'd be able to manage them but most hams do seem to enjoy them.
I add a bit of peanut flour & or coconut flour to porridge when mine have it (only as an occasional treat as they aren't old or unwell!) & they do seem to find it totally impossible to resist!
What about things like chicken or egg, will she eat those?
It can be hard when they get older or are unwell, sometimes I've found what they do or don't like varies from day to day but you really are giving her the best possible care, I don't think you can do more for her.
It's hard to know what's happening with the snuffles, hope the vet might be able to shed more light on that when you go again.

SKB_Hamsters
08-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Thank you cypher, these are really helpful suggestions
I'm currently using these probiotic (ProC Probiotic 100gm | Pets At Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/dwarf-hamster/dwarf-hamster-healthcare/proc-probiotic-100gm)) - I've used these one in the past normally in my hamsters water, but at the moment I'm using them in her food so might put them in her water as she is drinking from her bottle. So they might help her to feel better.
She can't manage porridge oats, she will spit them out when I give them to her as she can't eat them. I will mix in some crushed supreme science biscuits into her porridge therefore I will know she getting some balanced food in her.
She ate cold turkey last Sunday okay, I will try her with some cold chicken and egg to see how she gets on. But I'm a bit worried about giving her to much protein at her age.
She currently snuggled with me, keeping her warm and comfortable as she was trying to sleep in the corner of her cage. She is making a bit of noise when she asleep and has the occasional snuffle.
I find it hard when they are old and unwell, but they all enjoyed snuggles with me when they got old. I will try whatever I can to make her feel better, but she has so might fight in her still.

cypher
08-06-2016, 08:47 AM
She sounds happy & always seems to have plenty of fight in her as you say so try not to worry too much.
I would keep putting the probiotics on her food tbh, as they drink so little it's hard to know how much they get when it's in water.
You're right not to want to give her too much protein but a bit of meat once a week might just give her a bit of a boost without overdoing it.

Pebbles82
08-06-2016, 09:00 AM
If she is still eating her veg then she is enjoying her food, but only eating things she fancies by the sound of it. When you did your post on crushing nuts etc, I looked up a few things and pecan nuts are much higher in calories than all the others - so maybe try some crushed pecans (if you're not already). Pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds are also high calorie - they are high fat but good fats, not bad ones. Charlie really enjoyed the Linwoods Shelled hemp - I got it in Holland and Barrett. It's like tiny little soft balls and he licked them up and always ate all of it. I just gave that once a week though.

I guess just give her whatever she fancies. A bit of yoghurt maybe? Someone else said their elderly ham liked a bit of weetabix soaked in milk.

AmityvilleHams
08-06-2016, 09:04 AM
If milk is being fed,dairy milk wouldn't be the best idea.Something like almond milk,soy milk,or cashew milk would be safer,since hamsters and other small pets should not have dairy.

SKB_Hamsters
08-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Thank You, cypher and Serendipity7000
I've just tried Sherbet with some porridge with nuts in, but she pushed that away and wouldn't touch it, I will try again later as she normally eats more in the evening than during the day and try her with some grated carrot, which normally her favourite( Edit - gave her some grated carrot she ate a little of it and pouched a few pieces). I'm finding it really hard not to worry about her as she just woke up and is sneezing really bad, which I'm finding really upsetting.
Okay I will continue putting probiotic on her food, I'm putting a pinch on her wet food, is that the right amount? Would it be okay to put it on her food and have it in her water as well, as I'm worried as if she not eating then she not getting any at all.
I didn't know that about pecan nuts, I will try and get some for her. I've tried some crushed pumpkin seeds yesterday and she spat them out, but she never really liked them. She is eating less nuts and seed recently although she is still eating a little of them. I will try some of your other suggestions serendipity and see what she want to eat.
I also just remembered that I have some wet food mix the vets gave me before, although Sherbet didn't like it, I might try it again to see if she will eat it now or not.
I'm trying to make her feel as comfortable as possible.
Thank you again.

AmityVilleHams - I have some soya milk so will use that.

cypher
08-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Glad she ate some carrot at least & i hope she feels more like eating later.
They really do only need a tiny bit of the probiotic so even if she doesn't get a whole pinch it should still be enough.
I think you'll probably just have to experiment a bit to see what she'll eat while she's feeling like this, hope you find something she still enjoys.
If you can get some of the hemp seeds Serendipity mentioned to try it would be worth a go, the do generally like them & they are packed with good nutrition.

Thin Lizzy
08-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Totally agree with the others, I know it's worrying when they go off their food. I would try the hemp seeds and pecan nuts because of the good fats in them.
What about scrambled egg - the white bit only?

SKB_Hamsters
08-07-2016, 04:53 AM
Sherbet is ok, she snuggled with me late last night. I did try her again with different food, which she turned down and pushed away, although I did manage to get her to eat the tiniest amount. I made her up a nut porridge this morning, she ate a little and pouched some so the nuts where a nice temptation. I will try her with some egg and cheese later, but I have tried her with some of her other favourite treats - which she never turns down - crushed and she won't eat them. She does looks and feels skinny, I can feel her bones. Her teeth are starting to look paler. But she is still feel warm and has the occasional energetic moments.
This morning she was sneezing really bad and kept snuffling, but that has reduced a lot now.
If she still refusing food and sneezing tomorrow I will take her to the vets to see if they can do anything - as I don't know if it's due to her teeth bothering her as they are due to be trimmed on Wednesday.
I'm trying to keep Sherbet comfortable and happy as possible at the moment.

Edit - Sherbet just had a tiny piece of cheese and a little bit of blueberry before turning her nose up to any more. It feels good that she eating a little although it not much, as it shows she still got some fight left in her.

Pebbles82
08-07-2016, 07:08 AM
She is quite an elderly lady now so it is maybe a natural thing to want to eat less :-) It is worrying when you don't know what to do for the best though. I suppose the sneezing could be to do with her previous injury and her nose being affected, but a vet check may also be reassuring or give an idea with what is what.

cypher
08-07-2016, 07:24 AM
I think it's natural for them to have less of an appetite as they get older too but I can understand how worrying it if for you SKB, I hope the vet can help but meanwhile just take it a day at a time & keep offering her titbits little & often.
Other than the sneezing & snuffling she still sounds like a very happy ham.

SKB_Hamsters
08-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Thank you both for your support, it really does help. She did try to eat some roast chicken but such as tiny amount. I also tried giving her some wet supreme science selective biscuit using a syringe (after her accident the vet suggested this so I thought I would try it now), which I slowly gave her tiny amounts, in which she ate most - she had around 0.7g of food -until she didn't want any more. It's still not a lot (normally eats 10g+) but more than she ate yesterday and Friday - Friday is when she started to go downhill. It is also so strange as I can feel most of her bones when I hold her. She is not behaving her normal self she getting grumpy really easily, which is very unlike her, she keep sleeping in different places in her cage, behind her wheel, in a tunnel and also in a cage corner. I'm trying to keep her as comfortable as possible. I'm just hoping that now she got some good food in her hopefully that will give her a little boost.

I'm finding it upsetting as it reminds me of when my Cookie got old as she also stopped eating and started to refuse food, and she lost a lot of weight quickly although she was also such a fighter too but I had to make such a difficult decision, as she was declining so rapidly and had other health problem due to her old age. I'm just hoping that Sherbet has enough fight left in her as she means so much to me.

Pebbles82
08-07-2016, 04:18 PM
It is upsetting, but at some point we have to prepare for the fact that one day they will leave us, as they have such short lives. And when they stop fighting it's because they are ready to go. I think sometimes they need permission to go as well. She does sound happy but it might be that she is preparing to go. I am sure you will know when it is her time and she is lucky to have so much love and care from you, so I am sure she will live her life happily for as long as she can xxxx

cypher
08-07-2016, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry SKB I do know how hard this is for you, we can never really prepare ourselves for the fact that they will leave us at some point however much we try & nor is it something we want to think about but this is obviously on your mind now.
You are giving her the best care & keeping her comfortable, I think you just have to let her guide you as to what she needs & wants.
I hope if her time is approaching you won't have to make any difficult decisions for her, your time together is so special & I'm sure she really appreciates all you are doing for her.

SKB_Hamsters
08-08-2016, 05:03 AM
Thank you to both of you. Sherbet seems a little better than yesterday, probably as she got some food in her, although she is still a little snuffly. Sherbet peed on my bed this morning, which is unlike her but it's ok. But she has more of an appetite today, she ate a bit more wet food, supreme science selective biscuits, I started using a syringe but the way she grabbed the syringe and was holding it herself (luckily she wasn't trying to pouch it) happily eating it and started chewing the end of the syringe when there was none left in the syringe. I also tried her eating of a spoon in which she didn't turn down and ate some herself - which is a good sign. She didn't eat anywhere near her normal amount but she probably had between 1 to 2g approx, until she didn't want to eat anymore. So I've got some hope although she still doesn't look too good (she looks really old and skinny and her fur doesn't look at it best) but by having some food in her it might give her a good boost.

Thin Lizzy
08-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Oh SKB so upset reading the last few posts. I know how difficult it is, you're doing everything you can to ensure she's comfortable and being cared for. I'm glad she's managed some food.
It's never easy seeing your little one get older and lose weight. Sherbet's a little trooper.