PDA

View Full Version : Daisy-vet update

i-love-paddy
11-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Daisy either has a womb or urinary tract infection. The vet thinks it's likely it's a womb infection but it's been caught early.

She weighs 97g so she is underweight.

She is on Baytril for a week, then back to the vets next week for another weigh in. If she hasn't improved she may need to be spayed

Please pray she gets better - I don't really want her to have an operation

souffle
11-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Poor little thing. Everything is crossed for a good speedy recovery. You know I just had a feeling about the womb thing when I first suggested that as I have seen this in hamsters before especially a few months after raising little ones. They can seem fine but sometimes they are run down after the pups and anything that might have not been fully expelled at the birth leads to infection. They never seem to appear very ill at first but go downhill slowly as the infection gains momentum. It is quite stressful for the female hamster coming into season so frequently. Get well soon Daisy

nooboo
11-07-2005, 11:30 AM
poor little girl I hope she gets better soon!

flogging_molly
11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
*prays for Daisy*

Hoping she gets well soon

babyboos
11-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Oh Ems sending healing thoughts your way, I hope she puts on some weight as spaying is tricky and costly :twisted: Pyometra is not pleasant for our little ones to get but sometimes antibiotics given early enough can stop the need for surgery... Hugs and best wishes.

Emma
11-08-2005, 04:03 AM
Oh dear :( fingers crossed the antibiotic does it's trick. Just wondering - does she have a discharge? How did the vet diagnose pyometra?

souffle
11-08-2005, 09:05 AM
A while ago we had a hamster with this emma and she did not have a discharge at all. Unfortunatly she did not make it and PM showed a closed pyometria with the uterus full of pus. Poor wee fluff. Hope Daisy is improving

i-love-paddy
11-08-2005, 11:55 AM
She has the smelly discharge. he said it could be a tract infection, but felt because she ahd pups that is what it is. His own hamster had it at 2and a half and died but he think Daisy will pull through.

I wont be able to take the loss of another hamster in such a short space of time.

I have given her some baytril tonight and she is skin and bones.He said he could do an xray after a week to see what was going on in her womb. this is £70. any operation is also £70.

pophammy
11-08-2005, 12:01 PM
£70 seems an enormous amount for a small hamster. Our dog x-ray was only £35+VAT. Emma, would they see anything on the x-ray as I thought that the x-rays just passed through soft tissue? I hope she gets better soon.

Emma
11-08-2005, 03:01 PM
From the experience I have, ultrasound is better for trying to diagnose a pyometra or not than an xray. But if the discharge is present and she's not well in herself, it's very suspicious of it. You can see an enlarged uterus on ultrasound (on x-ray too, but not as easily, plus ultrasound doesn't need any sedation), and you can also do a blood test too to look for evidence of ongoing infection, taking blood is difficult in a hamster though. The only definitive diagnosis is looking at the uterus itself at surgery, the other tests just give more of a clue so if money is an issue going straight for surgery is probably the best option.

if it were a larger animal like a dog you wouldn't hesitate to go straight for surgery now, it's only because it's a hamster and the bigger risks of anaesthesia & surgery that you try antibiotics first really.

Your vets do seem awfully expensive Ems, I remember what they quoted when Paddy was ill. When i told my vet friends they were all shocked too, it's not just me.

babyboos
11-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I paid £100 in total for Baytril, ultrasound and surgery and I thought that was expensive. Is it possible to register with another vet Ems even if it means travelling a bit? not that I am sure you grudge the money but you do have a family and Christmas is coming so I appreciate it must be difficult to juggle all these demands on your finances.

i-love-paddy
11-09-2005, 12:48 AM
i am with the pdsa but i know for a fact they wont operate or anything.

i dont mind paying £70 for the operation and my vet is very experienced in hamsters. but an xray for £70 is expensive and i cant do both.

souffle
11-09-2005, 03:18 PM
How is the little one doing ems? Any sign of improvement. A scan would be quite quick and maybe you could get them to do the whole thing for £70. I would say that would seem reasonable. I hope she doesn't need it though and is feeling better

i-love-paddy
11-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Daisy has perked up a bit but is still really skinny.Giving her plenty of protein and vegatables. Here are a couple of pictures of her. I took them last night-in the first one you can see her back bone sticking out-in the second she doesnt look too bad but she still isnt drinking and Im having to do it by syringe.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/maknowey12/poorlydaisy.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/maknowey12/poorlydaisy2.jpg

I dont want to lose her :(

souffle
11-10-2005, 08:57 AM
I am glad to here things are looking up. She does not look too skinny and appears to be going about her business in a hammy way. She may not need too much fluid as she will be getting quite a bit from her fruit and veg and they dont drink a huge amount. Can you tempt her with dilute apple juice or milky porridge?

i-love-paddy
11-10-2005, 09:19 AM
My vet suggested pineapple juice? she is getting milky porridge

babyboos
11-10-2005, 03:03 PM
I would go with apple as pineapple can be quite bitter