PDA

View Full Version : Daisy isn't eating

i-love-paddy
11-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Over the last few nights I have noticed Daisy hasn't been eating much. I took her out last night for cuddle and she has lost a fair bit of weight. I know she had the pups in August but I did feed her up afterwards. She ate some cucumber and some porridge last night but hasn't touched her dry mix.

I cant see any thing physical with her, apart from some weight loss. But I didn't notice it last week when she was chewing on her tubes so I feel guilty I haven't noticed it sooner. Maybe she has an abscess in her mouth or something? Anyhow, I'm taking her to vets on Monday. I'm not sure she is drinking much so I am also giving her fluids with a syringe.

souffle
11-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh dear poor little thing. Hamsters can go downhill so quickly so you must watch her carefully. How old is she? Does she have any discharge from her vent or any swelling of the tummy as females can get pyometria or womb infection which can put them of their food as you describe. Is she lethargic? Sometimes it can remain within for quite some time before leading to blood poisoning so the vet ASAP seems in order. The Pets at Home clinics are open on Sundays if desperate and don't charge extra for Sunday. Just say you are a new client even if you are not! Hope she's OK soon little lamb.

babyboos
11-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh Ems I hope it isn't anything serious. Keep giving her porridge and maybe sweeten with a little honey. Using Lactol instead of water will help her get her vitamins too.

i-love-paddy
11-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Daisy has just turned 8 months. I can't see any evidence of any infection

I will see if I can get a PAH appointment tomorrow

babyboos
11-05-2005, 01:42 PM
are they open on a Sunday? good luck getting one

pophammy
11-05-2005, 02:42 PM
They definitely are in the Huddersfield area but I don't know about your area. One of our dog club members had to rush a choking dog there once on a Sunday and they sorted her out straight away! Fingers crossed for a quick recovery!

Emma
11-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Why is it hamsters always get ill on Saturdays!

Everyone has already given good advice.....fluids, nutrition, warmth and comfort.....best of luck hope you can get an appointment asap.