PDA

View Full Version : How large should a syrian hamster potty be?

Jenibelle
12-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Title says it all ^.^

velma
12-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Some people use litter pans, like a rabbit litter tray or a small ceramic dish. I have a glass biscuit jar that seems to be okay. I think a lot depend on your hamster. Some just want to per in one spot so anything under there is fine. I personally quite like having the jar as I can lift it out easily to change the sand & Cleo seems to like being enclosed while she's in there but it's big enough for her to have a little dig around. I'd also say, if it enclosed. A lot depends on the size of your hamster.

Amys_Mum
12-30-2015, 04:10 PM
I've got the standard size like this (http://www.pets-pantry.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=17193&gclid=Cj0KEQiAno60BRDt89rAh7qt-4wBEiQASes2tfKkw4hxeZPqn82alk3_rB28Kn-ZI0mG8YNfz5S0qRYaAnGA8P8HAQ)

However, now Harvey is a fully grown female hamster weighing in at just over 200g, her bottom tends to stick over the edge so it's not as successful as it once was! This is possibly why she's taken to using the 500g Flora tub that was her sand bath.

I've just bought a Pyrex oval pie dish from Sainbury's which is 21cm x 13cm, it was reduced to about £2.50 and I'm planning to use it as Harvey's new sand bath but that would be a decent potty size too.

Edited to add, that I started with one of the enclosed pottys with the plastic base and the clear/sparkley plastic lids. Total waste of time, Harvey was getting stuck in that when she was only about 3-4 months old.

slatted
12-30-2015, 07:31 PM
I use a glass biscuit/storage jar for all my hammies, dwarfs and Syrians, as it is contained, harder to dig the sand out and I think they find it cool in warm weather too!

Jenibelle
12-30-2015, 08:00 PM
Hmm... a mason jar sounds like a pretty awesome idea, actually! Thanks guys!

Pebbles82
12-31-2015, 02:32 AM
I have this one. Charlie is a large syrian and it's a good size for him. I like the corner shaped ones as Syrians tend to choose a pee corner - usually a corner of the cage, and this fits in a corner - Charlie pees in the back corner of it, and keeps the front part clean so he can sit and wash in it :-) So he stands with his butt facing the back corner (hence it's raised at the back).

Amazon.com : Trixie Hamster Potty Corner Litter Tray For Mice Hamster Gerbil Cage House. Size: 16 × 7 × 12/12 Cm : Birdcage Litter : Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/Trixie-Hamster-Corner-Litter-Gerbil/dp/B00178PJ3M/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1451554277&sr=8-9&keywords=Hamster+potty)