PDA

View Full Version : Can't tame hamster - help!

headbangme
11-16-2015, 12:15 PM
I've had my syrian for about a month now and it's insanely hard to tame her! She's not too old and I got her from Petsmart. She will take treats from my hand IF i give it to her, but she won't take it out of my palm. The only time I can hold her is if I forcefully pick her up, in which case I need to hold her with both hands so she doesn't squirm out. I've tried all taming techniques, she goes out in her exercise ball, has a spacious cage with lots of stuff to do. She tends to listen and come when I call her name, it's just sometimes when I stick my finger for her to smell she'll nib a little. I don't know what to do to progess this taming process, everyone makes it seem so easy. I really think she hates me.

velma
11-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Hi. Welcome to the forum :) First thing: relax! It's all fine :D I know you see some hamsters on here and YouTube who seem super friendly straight off but just as many aren't. A month is still early days. And it's a linear process. Not all hams respond in the same way to everything. Your hamster doesn't hate you. Some are not mad keen on being handled but she doesn't hate you. What you really need to remember is that you have to take things at your hamster's speed - rushing them will actually set you back in the long run if they get a but freaked out. It sounds like she's pretty friendly if she comes when you call & she'll take treats from you. But if I was being held so I couldn't move I don't think I'd like it very much & would avoid whoever came near me so imagine how your hammy feels! :) and hands coming from above can threaten hands as they feel a bird is attacking them. try scooping her up with both hands or letting her climb into a large tube that she can walk into your hands from & then when she is your hands let her walk your hands - where you move your hands one in front of the other so she can keep walking forward. But don't forcibly pick her up or she'll never trust you. Good luck! :)

HarryHamster
11-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Also go back to the tissue trick, put a tissue up your sleeve for an hour to get your scent. Important never rush the taming process, it does take time and always talk to your hamster. Velma has got some good tips, you will pick up some more taming tips from the forum too.

Shannonmcn
11-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Great advice from Velma, I just want to emphasise her point on taking it slowly. It takes time to build trust between you and a tiny little creature, I hate the word "taming" tbh, that's something you do TO an animal when what you really want to do is build trust WITH your hamster. You want them to want to come to you for treats and pets and fuss.

Picking her up when she is still scared of being picked up really doesn't benefit anybody, I think it will definitely set you back. Unless you absolutely have to pick her up for a health check or to administer medication you should be letting her come to you to be lifted, not grabbing her and definitely not restraining her. If she is happy to take treats from you that's a great start, just persevere and use high value treats like nuts or some fresh veggies if she is still reluctant to take them from your flat palm. Sitting in a dry bathtub with her will get her used to being around you in a safe and secure environment and you can use a big tube or a mug or an exercise ball to transfer her back and forth so she doesn't have to be lifted when she's not ready yet. Once you're in the tub just let her run around and over you and interact with your hands while they are still and non threatening. Have plenty of little treats for her too so she looks forward to bath tub time.

It is a process, and not always a short one but slow and steady is reliable and safe and doesn't get you or your ham all stressed out and upset :)