PDA

View Full Version : Browney's thread

Penguin
09-23-2015, 02:00 PM
So after asking you lovely people for advice on how NOT to get a new hamster, I ended up taking a tiny fella home (as you all suggested).

My boyfriend and I both fell in love with him. And as he (my boyfriend) wasn't ever allowed to keep a pet as a kid, I let him name him.

To my horror the first thing he said was 'Bobby John', but after him realising that 'BJ' wouldn't be a nice nickname, he went quiet for a bit and then decided on Browney - which I find really adorable.

Getting Browney out of the carrier for a quick health-check was more difficult than expected. It wasn't that he tried to run away, but he definitely didn't like my hands getting too close.
I got him up and somehow managed to turn him on his back for a few seconds. He seems to be lacking a bit of hair next to his mouth. The lady at the store said it was due to him being very young, so the fur hadnt fully grown yet - but I'm not really trusting that.

Anyway. After the health check I put him back into the carrier and made his cage ready (I kinda was in a hurry before I had to go to work, so I didnt manage to get it ready before picking him up).
When everything was set up, I picked him up in a tube and placed him into his new home. I apologized to him about the cage being baby pink, but it'll have to do until I get a larger one than the mini duna.

He instantly went around examining everything. I put an empty kitchen-paper-roll into his cage and he seems to be loving it!
He loves to run through it and then back. Or half-way through then turn around and run back. You can even jump over it! OR crawl under it! Of the 45 minutes he spend exploring his cage he spend at least 20 of them on playing with the empty paper roll haha

Now that I got home from work, he has already been out and about from his tiny house again. He tried out his wheel which seems much more comfortable than the one in the store. I gave him a bit of lettuce but he wouldnt grab it! If I thought he had it and let go, it would fall to the ground and he would just stare at it. This happened 3 times and I decided to leave it and give him some space. No more direct contact for the next week - that is going to be tough!

He does seem a bit itchy and looks a bit drowsy. So I'll call my vet and ask them to have a look at him on friday. It might set back the taming process but I really want to make sure that he's alright.

Pictures:

The very first picture I got of him:
http://puu.sh/klI9v/49bd46ae83.jpg

Browney with his first piece of lettuce - very delicious
http://puu.sh/klIhA/1e6580b567.jpg

Short video of him waddling around:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/piAvApPG6lE

Shannonmcn
09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
He is so handsome! I don't blame you for being completely smitten, I'm so glad we all worked so hard and managed to talk you into bringing him home! :D he's so tiny too! :3

Although personally I think BJ is an hilarious name Browney is very cute and suits him very well :) my bf is not allowed to name any animals because he only suggests awful names to annoy me, like Gary or Greg or something :rolleyes:

Wanna Hamster
09-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Super cute little fluff! Cage looks good!

cypher
09-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Congrats Penguin! :)
He is totally adorable, my heart is just melting watching your video! :)
He looks really fit & healthy & I know he's going to be getting the best possible care in his new loving home so Browney is one very lucky little boy!

Penguin
09-24-2015, 12:04 AM
Haha wanna hamster i think the cage looks bare! Thing is, he scratches himself every 7 seconds, so I want to know what's causing that before giving him more stuff. Wooden items are very bothersome to disinfect!

And Shannon he really is tiny! Looking at the difference between his and Kiki's size suddenly makes me realise it's impossible to not melt! Hamster pups are too cute!
(also your boyfriend does come up with awful names! I don't think the pet would like to be called Greg..)

Cypher:
I melted too from just watching him waddling around. I was almost late for work because I had to look at him haha.
Besides the excessive scratching he seems in a good shape. I think he might have mites, but we'll see what the vet says tomorrow. He does run all night and I really need a new wheel before I kick him in the bathroom every night. The small karlie wonderland wheel is everything but silent!
Can't wait till he will fit a normal size wheel!
I might record more videos if I can do so without disturbing him too much. He doesn't seem to mind my presence though, and even though he doesn't jump right into my hand, he does follow it (almost pushing my hand) to his foodbowl lol.
He isn't very good at being careful!

Piebald
09-24-2015, 12:43 AM
Very adorable :)
I feel we all have a small investment in the little one. ;)

Wanna Hamster
09-24-2015, 04:37 AM
Totally Piebald! I do feel a small connection with this little guy!:D

Penguin
09-24-2015, 06:15 AM
Haha, I'll make sure to keep you updated then!

I had a bit of free time so I took him by the vet today instead. Browney was a big and brave boy and did very well. The vet said it was mites so no wonder the tiny guy is itchy all over!
I asked the vet to take a look at Browney's teeth as well, and he still didn't make a sound. (now, I do have Kiki who screams at the vet non stop as if the world might be ending any moment - so I think the tiny guy was really brave!)
Browney did however try to bite the vet as he was laying in his hand on his back, and the vet's finger came to close to his mouth. He got payback with a needle in his bum but he still kept silent and didn't move at all!
I'm so proud of him.
Also, it turns out that my vet also knows the owner of the petshop where I got Browney from! I went down to tell her that Browney had mites and that would mean that all of her's probably did too and she thanked me and said she would get them treated right away (:

I will be taking Browney back to the vet after 10 days so he can get another needle in his bum. The vet did comment on how calm he was and said he thought I had been really lucky with his personality!

Now I'm just terrified of passing this on to Kiki. Hopefully I will manage not to

Fluffagrams
09-24-2015, 06:16 AM
He's so cute. I can see why you just had to take him home because I think I'd be feeling the same.

Such an adorable video of him in his new cage, I love the way hybrids walk with that little waddle.

Shannonmcn
09-24-2015, 06:28 AM
Poor little guy! I agree, he was so brave :3

Does it take 10 days for the mites to go completely? I dont have any experience with mites but if he's still settling then 10 days without handling him isn't the absolute worst thing to do to be on the safe side.

Thin Lizzy
09-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Very adorable :)
I feel we all have a small investment in the little one. ;)
I so agree piebald lol!
Congratulations on Browney, he's so handsome!
That video has got too be the cutest thing I've seen, he's quite the explorer!
Yes, the cage is a bit bare but agree about waiting too see about the itching.

Penguin
09-24-2015, 10:26 AM
He's so cute. I can see why you just had to take him home because I think I'd be feeling the same.

Such an adorable video of him in his new cage, I love the way hybrids walk with that little waddle.

It's irresistible is the it!
I find it funny that I fell for him considering that he has the exact same colouring that Kiki does. But somehow he got my full attention and my boyfriend's too! Like there wasn't any other hammy it could be haha I even made a fuzz about that it had to be him and not any of his 3 brothers with the same colouring haha

Poor little guy! I agree, he was so brave :3

Does it take 10 days for the mites to go completely? I dont have any experience with mites but if he's still settling then 10 days without handling him isn't the absolute worst thing to do to be on the safe side.

I actually have no clue, I have never had hamster (or any pet for that matter) with mites before. The vet said he had to come back in 7-10 days to get a second injection. And that in most cases the itchiness wouldn't disappear before the second injection. That's about all I know (: poor pet shop though. Having to get all their hammies treated won't be much fun!

I can handle him though. I just have to make sure that I change clothes (should he touch it) and wash my hands afterwards. To make sure that I don't pass it on to Kiki. But considering that I got him yesterday I do have to leave him alone for a week. It's soon difficult though as he is already running to my hand when he realises I have food! It's an overload of fluffiness! Him waddling the fastest he can haha

I so agree piebald lol!
Congratulations on Browney, he's so handsome!
That video has got too be the cutest thing I've seen, he's quite the explorer!
Yes, the cage is a bit bare but agree about waiting too see about the itching.

Thank you! He's a lovely tiny fluff and very brave as well!
Maybe you can answer my question, Lizzy, so I don't have to make a thread about it!
Should I disinfect his stuff when the mites are gone from him? I have no idea if they are bothersome and stay on everything and will jump back on him if I don't clean them out?

Thin Lizzy
09-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Yeah I would, do you have safe for pets animal spray? I use that on cage cleans, it's perfectly safe for out little hams. When Archie had mites, I did the whole cage and all the toys.

Penguin
09-25-2015, 05:41 AM
I don't have a spray but I do have a pet safe cage disinfectant soap. So my guess would be to be really throughout with that one. Unless it needs to be against bugs and mites specifically? Then I have to go shopping

Penguin
09-25-2015, 06:50 AM
Ugh I can't stop filming him! I know I'm supposed to leave him completely alone but he is so full of energy and everywhere constantly!
https://youtu.be/VPC9U1UXzIk
Sorry for me being messy around the cage with a piece of sandpaper, pair of pants and a towel LOL

Also, the dream of the sand staying in the sandbath is long gone. As soon as I placed the new sandbath in there he jumped right in it and kicked half of it out haha

cypher
09-25-2015, 07:38 AM
He does have a little bit of a waddle lol! He is just so gorgeous, clearly loves the sand bath (kicking the sand out is half the fun didn't you know ;)) seems to be enjoying his food too :)

If he does have mites you would need to disinfect the cage, the stuff you have should be ok, you can't really clean wood thoroughly though so anything that can't be washed would probably have to be replaced.

Penguin
09-25-2015, 09:45 AM
He certainly think it's hilarious to kick it out! Does look like he can smell something that should be buried in it though. Maybe he is trying to unbury it?
I gave him a ton of food hoping it would make him stop carrying it around in his pouches. It's like he is scared that if he puts it anywhere someone will snatch it from him. Hopefully he will realise there's plenty only for him sooner or later!

And thanks for the tip. After his first injection he seems to have stopped itching all together. So I'm pretty confident that it was mites.
It's luck that I didn't give him anything made of wood beside the small wheel. It's a noisy one so I was thinking of changing it to the dwarf one from Karlie wonderland that I'm also using for Kiki. (i can't remember the exact size but it's the medium one around 20 cm ø) Do you think he will be able to push it? I think the real question is 'will he be able to stop it once it's spinning?' haha
Hopefully it will fit in the cage!

Thin Lizzy
09-25-2015, 08:09 PM
I so did laugh watching Browney in the sand bath! What a cutiepie! He's settled in brilliantly!
As for the wheel you're thinking of getting, I think Browney will manage it fine!

cypher
09-25-2015, 11:16 PM
The wheel should be fine Penguin, I've never had a ham have any trouble using those.

Penguin
09-27-2015, 04:52 PM
I so did laugh watching Browney in the sand bath! What a cutiepie! He's settled in brilliantly!
As for the wheel you're thinking of getting, I think Browney will manage it fine!

He really does love his sandbath! I should take a photo of its current state. He now has 2 sandbaths; the green one and the pile beside it that he made himself haha
There's literally more sand around the sandbath than in it!

Browney is a funny little thing though. He doesn't really like anything which really is odd to me, as Kiki will run at you to get anything she sees.
I tried offering Browney a treat today, seeing as he seems so confident. If I fill his foodbowl he will run into my hand because it's all exciting!

Do I offered him a treat, he ran to me, paws on my wrist and skin multiple times but completely ignoring the sunflower seed in my hand. I tried offering him various things (prawns, meal worms, pea flakes, random stuff from the mix) and he has no trouble touching me at all, but the treat isn't interesting!
In the end I offered him a corn flake - the only thing that Kiki never liked - and he took it, ate it and went back to his wheel!

My boyfriend says it's because Kiki went up to him in the middle of the night, while I was sleeping and warned him that if he ate any of her food it would get ugly lol
I really hope she didn't!

cypher
09-27-2015, 10:19 PM
lol! he sounds a bit like Mickle was when she was a baby, not really interested in treats at all! Maybe he just didn't want Kiki to get the cornflake ;)
He does sound like a really friendly little guy, I don't think you even need treats to keep this one happy! :)

Penguin
09-27-2015, 11:53 PM
It's a whole new world to me Cypher!
How can treats not be needed to keep them happy? Maybe I should just keep filling up his sandbath and watch him enjoy himself while he kicks it out haha

He is silly though. If I walk by the cage and he is awake then he will stop whatever he is doing and run to the side I am on and stand on his hind legs. If I put my hand into his cage, he will get all excited and be all over it checking it out.
He even jumps onto my hand so he can reach my sleeve and bite that! I still didn't try to touch him as picking him up (at the vet and for a quick health check when I first got him home) generally got a bad reaction with him jumping and clear signs of him being scared. So I would rather wait.
He is an absolutely adorable little thing! I just want to pick him up and hug him!

Thin Lizzy
09-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Browney putting his paws on your wrist/hand reminds of Archie who would do just that, as he got older he got fussier about what treats he liked.
It seems this little guy totally adores you and loves showing his affection. What a sweetheart!

Penguin
09-30-2015, 04:47 AM
It melts you heart doesn't it!

I'm sorry for the picture spam, but who can resist baby hamsters?

Here's Browney's sandbath:
http://puu.sh/ktqHm/7ea785f9e7.jpg

Him washie washy
http://puu.sh/ktr7v/fb52746c13.jpg

Enjoying his sandbath after I cleaned up his mess a bit. I wish this wasnt blurry! But I cant adjust the shutter speed on my phone :(
http://puu.sh/ktrbj/ca95df47e3.jpg

What is that on the outside of my cage?
http://puu.sh/ktrmd/93c0280f70.jpg

http://puu.sh/ktrwE/8172f7b4db.jpg

Fast fast fast!!
http://puu.sh/ktrCR/d80ed314e9.jpg

cypher
09-30-2015, 05:20 AM
lol! look at him go in that wheel, you can really see how fast he's going!
I love the two pics before that, too cute for words, definitely melts my heart :)

You could try putting something a bit bigger & deeper in his sand bath corner, even just a cardboard box with a bendy bridge/ladder to get in & out so he could have even more fun & you'd have less mess to clean up!

Chiela
09-30-2015, 05:37 AM
AAAWE penguin those pictures are to die for <3
He is so adorable

Penguin
09-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Cypher I really love the picture of him running! I have a few of him mid - air as well but it just looks like he is flying haha
I was planning on getting him a corner toilet with a lid to keep most of the sand inside. I have to order a cage from zooplus anyway and as the shipping is free it's hard to resist buying a lot!
Can't get myself to completely deny him of the fun of kicking it out haha (I do think it's cute). If it gets too expensive I will go with your amazing idea though! I would never have thought of that!

And thanks mum! He is so easy to take pictures of though. He is so curious that he poses for the camera all the time :p

cypher
09-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Well if you're ordering from zooplus have a look at these (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/cage_accessories/cage_bird_bath/210144), Mickle has one in her play pen & it makes a great sand bath!
Some of those corner toilets are a bit small for a good kick around.

Penguin
09-30-2015, 10:35 AM
How come I have never had a look in the bird section! That looks great! I will definitely order more than one of those!

cypher
09-30-2015, 10:17 PM
You soon learn having hams that some of the best things aren't designed for them at all! I'm always browsing through both bird & reptile stuff to see what I can find for my little ones!

Penguin
10-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Aw no! I took Browney and Kiki to the vet today. Browney had to get another drop in his neck for mites and Kiki needed a follow up on her weight. I also wanted a second opinion about the furloss on her belly that is still a problem.

So the vet who had time to see me was this newly educated girl who had been at the clinic for a month. No problem, it wasn't anything serious that I needed to get checked and I am positive that if the girl wasn't good she wouldn't get a job or internship at this clinic. Furthermore everyone has to learn.

Kiki first, she was the perfect hammy! So nice, didn't hiss, didn't try to run away or twist her body or anything. She even kissed the vet's finger!
We agreed that she had to get treated for mites as well, however, there are 2 very common type of mites. Browney has one of them, and Kiki apparently has the other. Great, mite party!

Anyway, then it was Browney's turn. Oh god. I warned that he was new, I had only had him for a week or two - and he would bite if he got the chance.
She picked him up, scruffed him and he somehow still managed to twist his body and bite her! She bled everywhere!
I feel so embarrassed and sorry for her! Here's your new job and here's a hamster that will chop off your finger. Have a nice day!
Well she put a drop on his neck, checked his teeth and cleaned him for blood. She even apologised for bleeding on him :/

Best thing is that when I get home, I call his name, put a treat on my hand and he happily goes to nom the treat. I then lift my hand and put him back in his cage no problem at all. sigh

On a sidenote here's a picture of his stash. I think he is very happy with these lol
http://puu.sh/kzpKH/0555864252.jpg
What an odd thing to collect!

cypher
10-05-2015, 08:38 AM
All part of the learning curve for a new vet ;)
Poor little guy was probably stressed out but then I guess the vet was too! Quite an eventful trip but all's well that ends well as they say, he seems to have got over it no problem!
Hope the mites are gone soon!

Penguin
10-05-2015, 09:40 AM
I must say she took it well! She didn't flinch put waited for him to stop biting while silently saying 'ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch' haha
But I bet he was stressed. What I think got to him the most was the fact that she picked him up by scruffing him, when he wouldn't let her touch him. He really dislikes anyone touching his back. But looking at how much the mites make him itch I suppose it's not odd.

Thin Lizzy
10-05-2015, 07:11 PM
That's the sign of a good vet! Being bitten and making sure browney's ok! Maybe you should've warned the vet when she went to scruff his neck that he doesn't like it.

Penguin
10-06-2015, 07:44 AM
That's the sign of a good vet! Being bitten and making sure browney's ok! Maybe you should've warned the vet when she went to scruff his neck that he doesn't like it.

Yeah she will be a fantastic vet with more practice!
I did warn her that he bites. I think that was the reason she scruffed him seeing as he wasnt keen on being picked up. I don't blame either though.

When I apologised that he she had to handle him (seeing as I know how their more experienced vets had tried a bit of everything, so I wouldn't feel sorry for them) she seemed all proud and replied 'Don't worry, I'm here to make sure he is healthy'.

Regardless of her being the least experienced of the 4 vets at this clinic; I would still feel safe having her check my fluffs. She did better than the first vet I went to (at another clinic) who refused hold my ham himself. And that guy has been a vet for 10 years at least! This girl has been a vet for a month!

Sorry for the extremely long replies all the time. I talk to much :/

Shannonmcn
10-06-2015, 07:58 AM
I think she sounds like a lovely vet! Not that enthusiasm can replace experience but both are pretty important! She should be thanking you and Brownie for giving her some extra training ;)

Thin Lizzy
10-06-2015, 08:35 PM
She does sound nice. But, enthusiasm is a great thing to have when doing the job she does.

Penguin
10-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Haha Shannon maybe it cancels each other out. I shouldn't feel sorry about her being bitten and she should be happy that she got bitten!
I really hope she will stay at this clinic though! She will become a great vet with more experience!

A bit ago, I found that Browney likes corners a lot. I'm not quite sure what's up with them, but he sure does seem to find them very interesting.
Hmm lemme check this!
http://puu.sh/kAYCY/cdab8cb2c8.jpg

And now this!
http://puu.sh/kAYI2/0fc39a3f48.jpg

I also caught him covering his food with substrate and I thought it was the cutest thing ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7KOjDsZG2E

He then decided to do this straight after and kept going for 20 minutes. I'm not sure what he is trying to achieve but he sure doesn't give up easily!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrwGEQhaeh0

I also found that he has build a new nest and abandoned the old one. He wasn't happy with me it out but he has had a bit of an upset tummy and it smelled :/
He now happily lives under his sandbath haha I might show you, it's very cute

Shannonmcn
10-07-2015, 04:15 PM
That first video is precious. He's working so hard! :3 and the bits of substrate look so big compared to his tiny little hands!

I can't see the second one though, it's coming up private.

Penguin
10-07-2015, 04:44 PM
I love how he is walking away all happy with his hard work haha

And how odd, seems like it never actually made second video available hmm
oh well it should be fixed now! Otherwise please tell me so I can find out something :q

Shannonmcn
10-07-2015, 05:32 PM
I can see it now! You know I think he might actually get through that wheel eventually :shock: what a determined little guy! I liked the short interlude to wash his face :D

Thin Lizzy
10-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Aww lol! He's a little darling, so much cuteness and a very satisfied ham.

DrKMcK
10-07-2015, 09:59 PM
OMG! If he does that a lot he's never going to have any problem with long nails! This whole thread was vastly entertaining. :-D I know exactly how your vet felt. One of my dwarf hammies, some years back bit me when I went to pick her up. I just sort cringed and calmly put her in her cage. The whole time going, "ah, ah, ah, ah". I'll say one thing for him, he's a busy little bee and so contented in his home. He's such fun to watch. I think this little guy is going to be a heart ham for you. :-D

cypher
10-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Love those vids!
He's so determined to keep his little food bowl stash well hidden & I love the busy digging in the wheel one too, such a cute funny boy, he's a real character :)

Piebald
10-07-2015, 11:52 PM
He is a happy charmer. So glad we talked you into it. :D

Penguin
10-09-2015, 06:17 AM
I can see it now! You know I think he might actually get through that wheel eventually :shock: what a determined little guy! I liked the short interlude to wash his face :D

Never too busy to stay fabulous! And I was actually wondering if he would succeed at some point!

OMG! If he does that a lot he's never going to have any problem with long nails! This whole thread was vastly entertaining. :-D I know exactly how your vet felt. One of my dwarf hammies, some years back bit me when I went to pick her up. I just sort cringed and calmly put her in her cage. The whole time going, "ah, ah, ah, ah". I'll say one thing for him, he's a busy little bee and so contented in his home. He's such fun to watch. I think this little guy is going to be a heart ham for you. :-D

That was my first thought as well! Sadly I haven't caught him doing it since. But I don't think I need him to do that more than once a month haha

I have no clue how you managed to stay calm! I am terrified of the day I will get bitten for real as I'm very jumpy. I'm positive I would flinch and have a ham flat against the wall :/ so let's hope that won't happen!

Love those vids!
He's so determined to keep his little food bowl stash well hidden & I love the busy digging in the wheel one too, such a cute funny boy, he's a real character :)

He looked so proud when walking away from his food bowl! And I have no clue if Kiki is just lazy and inactive, but Browney seems to be so energetic and never standing still!
I love them both though. Could be that Browney is part robo :p they said it was impossible, but his energy level tell me something else haha

He is a happy charmer. So glad we talked you into it. :D

I am too! He is so adorable. I keep getting surprised on how different ham personalities can be!
I must admit though that I was close to returning him the first night. The tiny karlie wheel that I have is (opposed to the 20cm one) so incredibly loud! He is so active and literally kept running the entire night.
This isn't usually a problem as my other ham has a silent wheel and is placed behind a small random wall that passes through half of my tiny apartment.
I'm used to it now and quite enjoy the sound of him running, but that first night I wasn't a happy hamster mum haha

Bbhami
10-18-2015, 07:38 PM
So this is the 'Browney' thread! I think I put my brownie in the wrong sub forum. . . Woops!
I'll be silently stalking this brown Browney :)

Penguin
10-19-2015, 12:09 AM
So this is the 'Browney' thread! I think I put my brownie in the wrong sub forum. . . Woops!
I'll be silently stalking this brown Browney :)

I put the introduction for my first hybrid in the 'robo' section. Can't be worse than that xD
Now comparing my first hybrid to Browney I realise just how lazy and calm she is. There sure isn't any robo what so ever in her haha

And I will be stalking the handsome Brownie too! Don't you worry about that!

Penguin
10-22-2015, 04:01 AM
What a progress!
So I'm back in tiny Denmark and went to check up on the hams that I parked at my mum's place while being away. I just had a cold and still cough a bit, so they will have to stay there for a bit longer.

BUT! When I went there yesterday I saw Browney awake. That tiny ham runs more in his wheel than my mum's robo!
I called out his name and put my hand in his cage. As usual, he raced onto my hand and started biting my sleeve. I lifted him out of his cage and gave him a treat and he allowed me to pet him!
He usually jumps and warns you by nibbing. Seems like the treatment for the mites really helped - but I do think it's also a progress from his side.
He wouldn't let me pet him for long though. after 3 strokes he dropped the treat and was on his way to where ever his small legs might carry him.
I gave him the treat again, he pouched it and I put him down.

This really is a huge step though! He would usually jump off of my hand if I moved it just a tiny bit - and touching him was out of question. I'm not sure what my mum and sister have done, but I'm sure they kept going with the taming for me!

Shannonmcn
10-22-2015, 04:27 AM
What a good boy! :3 that's lovely progress and I'm sure the mite treatment did help a lot, now he's not irritated and grouchy all the time he probably feels like a new ham! Good job Penguins-Mum and Penguins-Sister :D

cypher
10-22-2015, 05:11 AM
What a lovely home coming after your trip away! Really pleased to hear Browney's doing so well, I agree if he's not all itchy he's bound to be happier & more sociable but I'm sure he was just pleased to see you again too :)

Fluffagrams
10-23-2015, 05:31 AM
I've just been catching up with this thread and what a lovely boy he is. I'm so glad he's not feeling so itchy any more and is more sociable.

Well done. :)

Penguin
10-26-2015, 07:16 AM
He does pancake whenever I pet him though, but he is otherwise busy exploring and doesn't always have time to be put back in his cage. He will literally walk past my wrist and up my arm if he doesn't think he is done exploring me haha. (I sit on the floor and he will be walking in and down my legs, for some reason the floor isn't fun to walk on. Maybe it's too cold)

Yesterday I tried giving him a bit of cheese. He actually hit it 3 times with his paw, until I dropped it and he then walked away. I have never seen a hamster do that! I wish I had recorded it, it was hilarious!!

cypher
10-26-2015, 07:39 AM
lol! it is funny when they do that, Mickle used to with any new food especially veg until she got used to it, a real boxing match sometimes!
He does sound totally adorable :)

Fluffagrams
10-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Yesterday I tried giving him a bit of cheese. He actually hit it 3 times with his paw, until I dropped it and he then walked away. I have never seen a hamster do that! I wish I had recorded it, it was hilarious!!

I remember Sooty doing that once when I offered her a small piece of cucumber. She caught me so by surprise that she actually managed to bash it out of my fingers. I bet she was thinking "How dare you offer me this".

Penguin
10-27-2015, 04:34 AM
They really are amazing those tiny things.

And fluffagrams that was exactly what his face read too! Like I had offended him or something!

Shannonmcn
10-27-2015, 05:11 AM
My cats used to do that with new things, the thought of a hamster doing it is cracking me up :lol:

Penguin
10-27-2015, 10:10 AM
My cats used to do that with new things, the thought of a hamster doing it is cracking me up :lol:

That was my exact thought at first! Cat's do that! Maybe Browney is a bit confused and thinks he's a cat haha.

On a complete sidenote with stuff that has nothing to do with hamsters but is super bothersome. My package arrived today 5-10 minutes after I left my home. I am at the dentist's tomorrow so I will miss the second delivery too.
I now have to walk for 20 min with 15 kg in my arms ugh. How I wish I had a car!
(I never work out, having to walk for 5 minutes with the 13kg bag of bedding once every 3 months is killing me already!)
Browney gotta shape up! Big boys are strong, he should come and help me out!

Shannonmcn
10-27-2015, 10:25 AM
He could carry it all back eventually, a 20 min walk is what? A mile? He could do 2-3 trips per day stuffing his little pouches! :D

Penguin
10-27-2015, 11:15 AM
He does run a lot though, so much that I have been wondering if I should be worried lol
I'm sure he would only love to run down to the post office and bring me back a big of my package a few times :p

Too bad the package is loaded with computerparts, and the only thing he could possibly carry back (due to the size) is so fragile that I wouldn't ever let him carry it, let alone pouch it haha

Penguin
11-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Yesterday Browney taught me that nothing is impossible if you want something bad enough
https://youtu.be/InjnPBZ4CZU

cypher
11-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Getting a good work out there lol! Surprising what you can do, even with furry feet :)

Piebald
11-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Aww Brownie. Such a doll. xx

Penguin
11-05-2015, 12:52 AM
I have caught him do this twice since, maybe he isn't so sick after all haha

Tildauk
11-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Aww Brownie is a complete sweetie and so cuddly looking, I love the video of him flailing about in the sand. :)

Penguin
11-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Thank you Tildauk!

On the update side, Browney has been to the vet and she couldn't find anything on him. His belly looked fine and so did everything else about it. Seeing as he eats, drinks and still occasionally runs, she told me to keep an eye on him and his weight and come back if i noticed anything odd. She didn't to drag him through x-rays and what not that probably wouldnt show anything anyway

Penguin
12-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Browney's christmas gift has been ordered! A Borneo L cage! Fingers crossed he'll like it!

cypher
12-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Lucky little guy! :)
I'm sure he'll love it, have fun setting it up for him :)

Penguin
12-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Sadly it won't be my task to set it up! He was a gift for my boyfriend, so it's him who should do all the fun things like deciding the layout. He was never allowed a pet while growing up, so he never had the chance to do any of these small joyful things (:

Piebald
12-03-2015, 12:46 PM
What fun for him! You can surely make a tactful suggestion or two . . .:)

Thin Lizzy
12-03-2015, 08:48 PM
What an absolute honey Browney is in the video, such determination to get involved with his hanging treat.

Penguin
12-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Haha Lizzy you should see how determined her can be! I have been on the stage of 'sit on my hand and you will get a treat' for a little long, so whenever he sees my hand he will find a way to sit on it. I should record it sometime, it's amazing how much energy he can put into that game haha

And piebald I will actually try not to! Even though my boyfriend acts all tough and whatnot he really adores both of our hams and goes into childmode whenever he's around them haha. So I really will try my hardest to let this be his decision. But we will see how well that goes in the end :p

The cage just arrived an hour ago, glad to see that some companies are quick! I'm still waiting to hear from another German company about a video card I returned more than 3 Week ago. Sadly all their costumer service is good for is telling me 'it hasn't been processed yet, please wait' :/

cypher
12-04-2015, 09:25 AM
I'm sure that's going to be a tough one letting your boyfriend make all the decisions ;)
Great the cage came quick, even if you only get to watch the set up it'll still be fun & the best bit will be letting Browney loose in there :)
We'll be wanting photos!

Penguin
12-04-2015, 09:28 AM
The photos has to wait though! The base was broken :( http://puu.sh/lJaP5/244f427ee8.jpg

Mailed the right away, hoping to get it replaced (that is, if i wrote to the write place lol)

cypher
12-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Oh no :(
That happened with mine too but the service was excellent & it was replaced very quickly, hope they just as helpful with you, crosses fingers for you.
The replacement & the second one I bought were fine btw so I don't think it's something that happens all the time like the Barney cages.

Thin Lizzy
12-04-2015, 10:19 AM
I hope they send you out a new base right away!

Penguin
12-09-2015, 06:11 AM
The base just arrived :o it was sent the day before yesterday so that was quick!
Waiting for my boyfriend to get home so he can set up the cage. This will be my hardest test ever lol To not interfere :p

I must say though, right now he is the grumpiest hammy ever. A guy came to test my firealarm an hour ago. He sprayed something on it to start it and now it keeps going off every now and then. I was told that this is normal though.

I placed both of the hams in my bathroom, as the noise isn't too extreme out there. I'm not sure what to do when I need to go myself :q

cypher
12-09-2015, 06:34 AM
That's great news, about the cage that is not the fire alarm, I hate those things!
I'm really looking forward to your boyfriends set up & I'm really glad I'm not you having to sit back & not interfere lol!

Penguin
12-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Alright so the cage is set up and I'm not sure what Browney think of it yet. He is busy looking at everything as well as all the new toys. The cage itself isnt too cramped and could definitely contain more things. We have a few things at my boyfriend's place so he will have to wait a bit to get those.

It's was really cute watching him set up the cage though. He did a good job on explaining me that 'This house has to be here and point in this direction, so he can see his wheel from here' and 'These tunnels have to be close to his other house so he can go through them all at once! And his food and sandbath right beside it to he doesn't have to walk far to eat! or shower'

So everything has been very well thought about haha I will upload some photos when my phone or camera has charged (:

Thin Lizzy
12-11-2015, 09:15 PM
I'm looking forward to these pics.

cypher
12-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Sounds like a good job was done!
I'm looking forward to pics too & hearing about Browney's adventures in his nice new home!

Penguin
12-22-2015, 08:32 AM
I will upload pics soon! Due to exams and christmas and whatnot I haven't really had time :C

He is a silly ham though, I started cleaning out his cage but left his house, he went out to look for a few seconds and then went back into his house to sleep lol
I was met with incredibly sleepy eyes when I removed the house to wake him up. I was in a hurry but he clearly wasnt!
Any other ham I have seen will go crazy when you start cleaning their cage though. Waddling around yelling 'Oi! Oi! Oi! I don't think you have permission to do that! Oi! stop it! stahp! put it back!'

Browney didn't even bother though, as long as his house was in place haha

cypher
12-22-2015, 09:14 AM
lol! Browney sounds just like my very first little russian guy, he didn't sleep in a house, just made an open nest but I could still clean the whole cage without him waking up, it's a very endearing way to be :)

flowerfairy
12-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Haha he sounds very laid back. Just like my syrian, Woodstock. He has had so many cage changes lately but each time just pops out of his house. Hunts for food, pouches it and goes back into his house zzzzz.

Fluffagrams
12-28-2015, 02:36 AM
Yesterday Browney taught me that nothing is impossible if you want something bad enough
https://youtu.be/InjnPBZ4CZU

Oh my! This video is just too adorable. :D:D:D

Penguin
05-22-2016, 02:24 AM
Oh my! This video is just too adorable. :D:D:D

I just saw this just now (better late than never) I think that video describes his personality lol

Alright so as someone who studied until 4am I have now been woken up by some loud techno music from across the street. Browney clearly doesnt fancy it and has been digging and chewing on his wheel for 25 min now. It's like he is thinking 'Stupid music! this is what real music sounds like!'

The whole thing about chewing on his wheel though is kinda silly. He has quite a few chews but none of them get chewed on like the wheel lol

Fluffagrams
05-27-2016, 11:30 AM
The whole thing about chewing on his wheel though is kinda silly. He has quite a few chews but none of them get chewed on like the wheel lol

Animals are so funny sometimes. You give them lots of nice chews and they still chew their furniture. Mine tend to chew their nest boxes until they're just right regardless of what chews I put in for them.

Penguin
05-31-2016, 01:07 PM
Animals are so funny sometimes. You give them lots of nice chews and they still chew their furniture. Mine tend to chew their nest boxes until they're just right regardless of what chews I put in for them.

I just find it weird as he pees in his wheel and have the feeling that the smell would put him off? Apparently not! I was thinking of getting him one of those carrot/hay hideaways so he could chew on something a bit better, but he seems like chewing his wheel is the best thing in the world. He even closes his eyes while chewing haha
That is something he does when he is either really mad or really pleased (:

Thin Lizzy
05-31-2016, 09:03 PM
What a determined little man, the video where he falls off but gets back go again. He can't waste any time as there's plenty to get his teeth into.

Penguin
06-13-2016, 09:24 AM
He actually went back to the treat stick a few minutes after! But only the best is okay, can't do with the leftovers if you can reach the good stuff haha

After changing his cage layout I put his waterbottle a bit lower than usual. He has this cobblestone which he likes to sleep on, he actually spends most of his time on top of that one regardless of my boyfriend and I walking past it every hour.
Anyway, he had taken a piece of chicken and was eating it on top of his cobblestone, but the spout was so low that it was going against his back! Only when he was done nomming the chicken he realised this and you could see on his face that the big wet spot on his back, running down his side, wasn't cool. He tried to wash himself but stopped as if it was icky with all the water. He then looked at my boyfriend like 'please help me, this wasn't supposed to happen'

He is sleeping again now, still on his stone (:

Penguin
06-14-2016, 12:36 PM
But the windblower so it will blow past his cage but not really hit him directly. He must be feeling something though, because he is pressing himself against the bars fast asleep. I wish I could take a picture but it's quite difficult to seem him through the bars

It's definitely a cute sight! Can't deny that

Thin Lizzy
06-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Awww what a darling! It does sound so cute!

cypher
06-14-2016, 11:12 PM
It makes my heart melt reading about little Browney, such an adorable character :)

Penguin
06-15-2016, 04:58 AM
Thank you both!

It's definitely nice to be able to just look to your right and see him on his cobblestone. I fixed the waterbottle too so no more fights with that one :D

Waiting for some supreme science bathing sand to arrive next week to change out the sand in his cage. He has been rather itchy lately, did get treated for parasites but is still itching. I'm kinda hoping that the sand will make a difference and that he doesn't need another vet trip.
The vitakraft sand is a bit odd too. It has big (do you call that grains? grit?) grains in there but it seems a bit dusty.

I also ordered 2 toys for him as well as some burgess, but keep it a secret for now! He only knows about the food!

Thin Lizzy
06-16-2016, 02:19 AM
Browney's such a lucky boy!

Penguin
06-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Thought I would share Browney's sleeping pose when the fan is on. He needs to make sure the breeze doesn't miss him!

http://puu.sh/pvu0y/bcd53e519d.jpg

(sorry about the mess on the table, I have a bad habit of placing everything on there when I clean and then clean that table last :q)

cypher
06-16-2016, 10:23 PM
He really is too cute :)

Thin Lizzy
06-18-2016, 12:46 AM
Aww that's so adorable! Bliss!

Penguin
06-19-2016, 05:48 PM
I can't wait for my package to arrive. It should arrive sometimes this week. I know he adores the burgess mix so it will be nice to see hi all excited as well.

I had a look at his wodent wheel today and noticed that the bumps inside of it all are coated in chew marks. I will never understand why his wheel is more appealing to chew on than his chew toys

Piebald
06-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Aw he's so cute!
You will never know that's true! :)

Penguin
06-26-2016, 06:50 AM
ahaha I just saw Browney on his rock, he was sleeping and wanted to lay down on his side. BUT there wasn't any rock left on the side he threw himself to, so he ended up beside the rock on his back with all four legs up in the air!

He then sat up, eyes still closed, sniffing a bit - and decided that the new spot wasn't all that bad. He is now asleep in the same spot.

I missed a mail from Viovet asking me if I was sure the food could be imported in my country. So it wasn't shipped before late this week. I'm expecting the package to arrive sometime within the next 4 days.

Browney barely had and food left though, luckily my mum had a bag of burgess laying around so I went to pick it up. And let me tell you, there's nothing in this world that my tiny man adores more than burgess! I'm still mixing it with his old mix to make sure he wont get a belly ache, but there's no doubt he is fishing for whatever unique ingredients are in the burgess C:

My boyfriend also recorded a video of Browns drinking. I think we placed the bottle a bit too high, because Browney keeps waving at us while drinking :D I will show you once youtube will let me upload it!

Edit: here we go https://youtu.be/1zY_Th85dYU
Hopefully it works

cypher
06-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Aw bless him, he does look cute waving at you ;)

That is what they do when the bottle's too high so I would try & lower it or give him something to stand on!

Penguin
06-26-2016, 08:04 AM
Yeah I figured it was too high too, especially due to how his back is bent. We have to find a balance, because if it hits his back he gets mad

cypher
06-26-2016, 08:05 AM
They do like to set us a challenge don't they!

Penguin
06-26-2016, 08:08 AM
They really do! It would be easier if he wasnt so set on sleeping under it! The cobblestone is there for his nails and not because it's a great bed! But oh well, if it makes him happy :)

Thin Lizzy
06-27-2016, 01:51 AM
Browney waving made me smile.

Fluffagrams
06-28-2016, 01:46 AM
Aaaw that's sweet! It does look like he's waving at you doesn't it. :)

Penguin
06-28-2016, 11:54 AM
If it wouldnt be mean I would keep his waterbottle a bit too high just to enjoy him waving all day (: As he is diabetic, it would make him wave a lot!

He wasn't too impressed with any of the 3 toys that came with my order from viovet lol, he didn't even pay attention to any of them! instead he tried to make a run for it out of the cage as I had left a box with treats open just outside, which I'm guessing he could smell

I will clean out his sand tomorrow and throw in the science selective sand instead, hoping that it will make him stop itching. If not, I am truly lost and have no clue what could be causing it. He has been treated for parasites and my vet says he looks healthy in every aspect

cypher
06-28-2016, 10:15 PM
Shame about the toys but he obviously liked the treats that were out of reach!

I hope the sand change does help with his itching, I know that diabetic hams can sometimes get a bit itchy, not sure why but it could be related.

Penguin
06-29-2016, 06:25 PM
It's alright, Kiki quite likes 2 of them so she got some new stuff in her cage for once (:

I know that diabetic hamsters have a higher risk of getting a yeast infection, but my vet straight out told me that she didn't to test him to know that that wasn't the case. So we are betting on the sand for now, even though Kiki has been using this for a year without any problems. I would guess though that if it turns out to be the sand, I should stop using this for both of them?

At least he exclusively uses the new sand area as a toilet, so I bought some cheap disposable plastic spoons and it's easy to clean out. Before it was a nightmare as he would change his potty location every single time i spot cleaned the old one! But his sandbath was rather small so he would just pick a random spot in the middle of the cage haha

All of this does remind me of my last visit to the vet. I met this guy who you would almost expect to be in a motorcycle club. Really muscled, a huge beard, leather west and tattoos covering both of his arms! He was there with his dwarf hamster as well! Said that she (I think her name was Minnie) was 2 years old and that she had had her fair share of health issues too but seemed to get through them alright.
We started talking for a bit and he mentioned that 'whoever says ''it's just a hamster'' has never owned one!'. He asked about what bedding I used and said that he used the same. It was very clear that he wanted to tell me that not all types of bedding was healthy for hamsters and he looked rather happy that we happened to use the same brand.

I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but he was probably the last person I would expect to be a hamster owner haha
And he was so eager to talk about hamster care just to make sure that I knew (:

cypher
06-30-2016, 01:05 AM
Love that story :) Hamster addicts come in all shapes & guises!

I do hope the sand helps but if not maybe try some evening primrose oil, I seem to be suggesting that all over the place at the moment but it really can help with skin & fur problems.

Thin Lizzy
06-30-2016, 02:23 AM
Love that 'Hamster addicts come in all shapes and guises.

cypher
07-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Your inbox is full Penguin so I couldn't reply to your PM!
This (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SW-Hamster-Seed-Mix-Grow-your-own-food-YUM-YUM-/190321514581) is the ham seed mix for sprouting on ebay anyway.

Penguin
07-04-2016, 11:22 PM
Woopsies i forgot to clean it out! HC should allow you more space in your inbox :s

Thank you for the link! I'm sure they will both love it (:

cypher
07-05-2016, 01:02 AM
I think an inbox is a bit like a ham hoard lol! very easy to keep too much in there ;)

Happy sprouting! I'm sure the hams will love it :)

Penguin
07-13-2016, 11:24 PM
now after posting in the wrong thread and being super embarrassed I will post this here where it belongs

I have a thing for taking pictures of him while he is sleeping. Had he not been a hamster it would be considered rather creepy haha

http://puu.sh/q0NFO/4935ca34a8.jpghttp://puu.sh/q0NEG/5a6a142723.jpg

cypher
07-13-2016, 11:34 PM
Aww he's so cute sleeping, how could you not have a thing for that lol!

I'm quite envious really as mine sleep underground & I rarely get a chance to see such cuteness!

Thin Lizzy
07-14-2016, 07:56 PM
That's got to be the cutest pic! He's stunning!

Penguin
08-22-2016, 03:42 PM
I have been too busy lately to be online here at all. I havent had time to upload any pictures but i did take quite a few of my boy (:

Today while cleaning his cage I had a real scare though. He uses his sand area as a toilet and I haven't noticed that he used one of the corners as a toilet too! This has resulted in him peeing on the foot of his woodent wheel and it became moldy; and now I know why I have flies :(
I immediately threw out the wheel and ordered a new one (in plastic) from zooplus. I can't deal with mold and I have wiped his entire cage down with petsafe disinfectant. Hopefully it didnt get to him though. Now I just have to find a way to let him burn some energy until the wheel arrives. I was thinking of 2x30 minutes of playpen time but I'm not sure if it's enough

Time for pictures! Cute pictures always help (:

New sand is the best!
http://puu.sh/qKLKC/0590ab042d.jpg

Sleepy time
http://puu.sh/qKM0S/9a7b5909e0.jpg
http://puu.sh/qKM9Y/43c3f82543.jpg
http://puu.sh/qKMd6/c65ebc4251.jpg
http://puu.sh/qKMjH/34d7369b41.jpg
http://puu.sh/qKMpI/4f36d30075.jpg

He has slowly been pushing his rock away from the wall to create the ultimate sleeping spot

http://puu.sh/qKMw5/e2075f5680.jpg
http://puu.sh/qKMvq/58b58d2033.jpg
http://puu.sh/qKMAC/73f6b4df34.jpg

This has been his favourite sleeping spot for the past month, right as I'm writing this, he is eating dinner in his spot too
http://puu.sh/qKMLy/79963fca62.jpg

I have a few videos to share too if anyone is interested, though I figured it would be enough with the billion pictures for now (:

badwolf
08-22-2016, 04:42 PM
Those are some seriously adorable pics! I now feel like rushing out and getting a million new wee hamsters...

Thin Lizzy
08-22-2016, 08:32 PM
What an absolute sweetheart, Aww at those pics. He's so blooming adorable!

Mischief2015
08-22-2016, 09:04 PM
He is too cute and he has a really nice coat colour!

cypher
08-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Love the photos, very cute & totally adorable :)
He is a funny little guy with his strange sleeping places lol! Looks like he's really loving that sand bath.

Love to see the vids too.

Pygmypuff
08-23-2016, 01:47 AM
What a very sweet little guy!

So very cute!

Gimleyand Meeko
08-23-2016, 01:51 AM
What a really adorable little ham, so cute!!! :)

Penguin
08-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Thank you everyone! He really is a sweetheart (: Though his obsessive bar biting does get to me now and then. Yesterday I texted my boyfriend that the hamster wouldn't be alive when he got home, because I would have made Browney nuggets out of him by then!

Boyfriend wasn't amused, I was, however :D

Pygmypuff
08-24-2016, 02:31 AM
Thank you everyone! He really is a sweetheart (: Though his obsessive bar biting does get to me now and then. Yesterday I texted my boyfriend that the hamster wouldn't be alive when he got home, because I would have made Browney nuggets out of him by then!

Boyfriend wasn't amused, I was, however :D

Haha, you daft thing!

Mmmm.. kinda wishing I had brownies now!

Penguin
08-28-2016, 02:06 AM
Hahaha Pygmypuff Brownies are great indeed!

Browney's new wheel arrived and he is happy (: I'm a tad worried about him though as his weight has gone down steadily since he developed diabetes. He is now 37g and I remember my vet saying that 44g was a good weight for a russian dwarf. He didnt change a bit though, he is still energetic, seems happy, always comes to the cage door when someone starts talking in a higher pitched voice...
I really do worry that his weight will drop further though. I remember him being 60g months ago

cypher
08-28-2016, 04:15 AM
Glad Browney got his wheel at last, that must have made him happy!

It is a worry when they lose that much weight, not sure there's anything to suggest that you haven't already tried really though.
He does sound well generally so I really hope he doesn't continue to lose more weight.

Penguin
08-30-2016, 08:24 AM
Alright so we are back from the vet and he is generally healthy. The weightloss might be due to his age and diabetes so he is just an old man.
Acutally, he is 1 year and 5 days old today!
For his belated birthday gift we got his nails done which wasnt a popular gift at all. He did enjoy the whimzee toothbrush and the shrimps though.

Poor old man got an infection in his eye and need eyedrops for the next 6 days. After the first day this resulted in him being grumpy and walking the other way whenever i put my hand close to him lol. He definitely doesnt like me right now

flowerfairy
08-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Oh those pictures are just wonderful.

Nail clipping as a birthday gift ... whimzees and shrimp should balance it out a bit!

cypher
08-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Belated Happy Birthday Browney :)

Sorry he has more health issues to deal with right now Penguin, putting eye drops in isn't fun at all but I'm sure all will be forgiven soon.

Thin Lizzy
08-31-2016, 05:15 AM
Belated Birthday hugs to Browney.
Such a shame about his eye, fingers crossed it heals quickly.