PDA

View Full Version : Help! I think she overheated

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 06:59 PM
I NEED NEED HELP RIGHT NOW!

I think butternubs overheated while i was at work! I don't know for how long, but i know that when i got him she wass sleeping in her food as usual. I thought it strange because she's either in or under her house. so i poked her and she was unresponsive. again, still unresponsive. picked her up nd she wass weak and barely moving. My heart stopped as she was limp in my hand. she's still alive, but i think she may be in pain. she's shivering and her movements are hobbled and kind of weak.I gave her so cold water and she's a little more active but she's shivering and hobbling and seeming really week and i'm really worried. I've only had her a few weeks and the heat has never been a problem before. She's just shaking violently and hobblingand trying to burrow. What do i do? how will i know if she'll be ok? i don't want her to die so soon....

Nancy's Hamsters
09-09-2015, 07:09 PM
First calm down your no help in a panic.
Have you a fan you could turn on near her but not blowing directly on her? If yes then hold her in your hand and let the fans cool breeze blow over her gently and on low as you don't want to get her too cold as to cause more problems then before.
If no fan is available take some ice cubes and wrap them in a cloth and set another towel over that and place her on the second cloth. Again cool her down slowly as to not cause even more trauma.

If none of that works then get her to and ER vet quickly for medical treatment.

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 07:17 PM
First calm down your no help in a panic.
Have you a fan you could turn on near her but not blowing directly on her? If yes then hold her in your hand and let the fans cool breeze blow over her gently and on low as you don't want to get her too cold as to cause more problems then before.
If no fan is available take some ice cubes and wrap them in a cloth and set another towel over that and place her on the second cloth. Again cool her down slowly as to not cause even more trauma.

If none of that works then get her to and ER vet quickly for medical treatment.

i've had her with me next to the fan and i was able to get her to drink some ice cold water. Right now she's jsut shaking relly hard, very lethargic and earlier she let out a loud cry and her eyes are kind of closed. Now all i'm doing is holding her close and stroking her gently. I'm not in a real panic just...rerally scared...

Nancy's Hamsters
09-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't have used ice cold water as it could give her major cramps in her stomach like colic in horses if real hot and offered cold water, but that is a mute point now so don't fret on it. Do you have any raw honey there? She could be low blood sugar if she overheated and a tiny drip of honey might help bring her back some strength. Sugar water also can help but not as quick as raw honey. If her electrolytes are low you could offer her tiny drops of Pedialtye into her mouth to boost her electrolytes back up.

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't have used ice cold water as it could give her major cramps in her stomach like colic in horses if real hot and offered cold water, but that is a mute point now so don't fret on it. Do you have any raw honey there? She could be low blood sugar if she overheated and a tiny drip of honey might help bring her back some strength. Sugar water also can help but not as quick as raw honey. If her electrolytes are low you could offer her tiny drops of Pedialtye into her mouth to boost her electrolytes back up.

just tried. she seems mor responsive i dunno if it's the water or the the sugar tking effect, my only dillemma is that she's wet now. gods i hope this works...

Nancy's Hamsters
09-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Take your time as she sounds like she was very distressed from over heating. Her being a bit wet is not the best however it is another way she will be cooled down. I'd try giving her a few drops of sugar water every hour unless you see a definite improvement.

Once she starts being more herself offer her her water bottle held steady at her mouth and see if she will lick water on her own.

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Take your time as she sounds like she was very distressed from over heating. Her being a bit wet is not the best however it is another way she will be cooled down. I'd try giving her a few drops of sugar water every hour unless you see a definite improvement.

Once she starts being more herself offer her her water bottle held steady at her mouth and see if she will lick water on her own.

will do. she keeps kind of dozing off is that a bad thing?

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 09:05 PM
now she oves but not very often. she just kind of hobbles to location and stops and seems to doze off...i'm almost friad to let her fall asleep

Thin Lizzy
09-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Hi StichedEgo, what an awful fright for you to come home to.
How is Butternubs now?

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Hi StichedEgo, what an awful fright for you to come home to.
How is Butternubs now?

she doesn't look good...she's hobbing and barely moving, keeping to corners, her moving becomes more and more scarce and she looks like she's starting to fall asleep...

Nancy's Hamsters
09-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you've done your best now all you can do is wait and pray for her to just be sleepy and in need of rest. Keep us posted.

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 09:52 PM
I...I don't thinkl she's going to make it...

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 09:54 PM
i'll stand by and see...

StitchedEgo
09-09-2015, 11:25 PM
11:15 PM...she died by my side...

Piebald
09-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Sorry StitchedEgo. You did all you could. I'm glad she was with you at the end. Play well at the bridge little one RIP. :(

cypher
09-09-2015, 11:41 PM
I'm so sorry, this has been really hard for you but you did your very best for her & were there to comfort her to the end, you couldn't have done more.
Run free & play well at the bridge little one.

Pebbles82
09-10-2015, 03:58 AM
I'm so sorry this has happened. It might have been anything that caused her to take a downturn. Play well at the bridge little Butternubs, and hugs for you.

Thin Lizzy
09-10-2015, 06:49 AM
I'm so sorry to read this sad news.
You did everything you could for her and were with her till the end.
RIP Butternubs - gone too soon. xx

Book_lover
09-10-2015, 03:12 PM
I am so sorry x

virtualkeith
09-10-2015, 04:40 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. Hamsters are such delicate little creatures. I'm sure you did everything you could, and it was a good thing that you were with her when she passed.

Artisans_uk
09-11-2015, 04:14 AM
My condolences on the loss of butternubs. I am sure she was comforted by knowing that you were with her.

RIP little butternubs, run free at the bridge.
Hugs for you StitchedEgo.

Bertiebobbins
09-11-2015, 04:41 AM
I feel so sad for you. You did everything you could x