PDA

View Full Version : Syrian hamsters

Fizzgig
09-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Just a quick question, do syrians need any specific care needs to the species? Like dwarves being diabetes prone, stuff like that!;):D

BrainGirl
09-09-2015, 12:49 PM
They need to be kept alone...stuff like that?

Fizzgig
09-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Well I knew that but I was thinking diet wise! Thanks:p

RubyDG
09-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Since Syrian hamsters aren't diabeties prone you don't have to worry about sugar as you do with dwarfs for example. Still that doesn't mean you should be giving them lots of sugary things - sugar should always be kept to a minimum. Otherwise you're good, just the standard stuff really. Make sure you know your safe and unsafe foods, which applies to all hamsters anyway, and then get a good staple hamster mix.

Aside from not having to worry overmuch about sugar with Syrians I think the biggest difference is going to be the size of the wheel and toys - everything needs to be bigger and you need to make sure you're not putting in anything that's going be an unsuitable size. There have been cases of Syrians getting stuck in toys that are too small so always be sure to check anything you put in.

I would suggest having a look at the feeding/nutrition section on the forum. There are some interesting discussions and some good information on it: Feeding/Nutrition - Hamster Central (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/feeding-nutrition/) :D

BrainGirl
09-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Oh, I thought you were compiling a list:p