PDA

View Full Version : What to expect in a ageing Hamster?

LancashireLass
09-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Hi my baby Willow has just turned two years of age which I know is knocking on a bit hamster years. She is my first hamster that has reached this grand old age and I have to admit it's new territory for me. I hope you don't mind me asking what is normal behaviour for older hamsters as Willow seems to have lost interest in coming out for Willow playtime, but it keen enough when I shake the food bag, that gets her attention. Also she does seem to struggle a bit with her back legs, and I am going to take Her to the vet next week even if it's just to get her nails trimmed. I have made slight changes to her cage I have her water bottle as well as a small bowl of water that get changed twice a day.

Many Thanks
J xxxxx

RubyDG
09-06-2015, 01:31 PM
I don't have any experience to draw on with how to care for elderly hams so can't add anything personally but Erinsanimals has done a few videos which are worth having a look at if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdeNpGX3yFqHYH1haVAi5UrvQ0zWkN3M8.

Also if you're using a water bowl you could try a water well as an alternative. They are usually used for reptiles but are the same type of thing you would get for a rabbit or dog etc just on a smaller scale : Exo Terra PT2806 Water Well Dispenser: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002DIBRO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009ERMS78&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1T174CGMMGFAM8B4RT7A). Do an online search though if you're interested as Amazon is over priced and I've seen them for under 10 pounds. They are pretty heavy apparently so can't be pushed or tipped over like a water bowl and at least you know there will be water in it all day.

LancashireLass
09-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Thank you RubyDG, I have watched the videos very helpful. I will check out the bowl but I'm using an old food dish and so far Willow hasn't had a problem.

J

Fluffagrams
09-06-2015, 02:04 PM
When my beloved Meat reached the age of three, he started to slow down a little bit, was less interested in climbing (although he was never really a climber) and was less able to reach the bottom of the deeper food dishes. I used to put his food into a little teabag holder which was perfect for him.

I'd say that it's especially important to keep on top of those regular health checks as older hamsters can find it harder to fight off infection and their digestion may slow down a bit changing their tastes and appetite. I used to feed Meat mashed Science Selective biscuts as he had dental problems, particularly in his later life. I also gave him baby food every so often which was something that he really enjoyed.

I took Meat's wheel out of his cage just after his third birthday under the advice of the vet and would only give it to him whilst he was supervised at a playtime that was shorter than he'd have enjoyed in his younger days. That suited him fine and he lived to the grand old age of just a week off of three years and seven months.

Thin Lizzy
09-06-2015, 07:37 PM
I found with Archie he started to slow down and sleep more but, still had a healthy appetite. I also found that putting a couple of extra bendy bridges in his cage made it more easier for him to get about. Also added more substrate and bedding.

LancashireLass
09-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi Thank you, Willow is definitely slowing down and doesn't show any interest in coming out, however I get her attention by shaking her food bag, she has an excellent appetite. I'm pretty sure she no longer uses her wheel and I have been tempted to take it out to give her more room, but so far refrained from doing so. I am concerned about her back legs she has developed a waddle but still gets around very well, I'm thinking of taking her to the vets to get her legs checked over and to get her a manicure, but concerns are is stressing her out.

J xxxxx

katmick
09-07-2015, 01:10 AM
Hi,I am an owner of Percy the Syrian hamster who is 2 years and 2 months old.
He is doing great touch the wood,he did slowed down and he spends more time in his nests(he has few).He still uses the wheel and really likes to pile up substrate from almost half of his cage around his nesting areas.He is my baby.
His tastes are slightly changed as he doesn't have a big appetite anymore,since he hit cca 18 months,but he still adores his bananas! :-)
I offer him twice a week bit of baby food and I also sprinkle some porridge oats into his bowl anout twice a week-this will give him some magnesium that helps to ease off stiffness.You could also make your hammie a porridge with bit of wheatgerm sprinkled over it (I yet have to try it).Wheatgerm is full of vit E,D and K all important for skin,hair,brain and heart.
I also give him Science Selective biscuits,he gets two with his regular Burgess mix.I am constantly watching his ability to eat,as elderly hams can break their teeth easily.So I am thinking to start offering him soaked biscuits on occasion too.
He has also his regular drinking bottle as well ceramic drinking bowl just in case.
I love elderly hammies,they are so precious.x

peasypea
09-07-2015, 02:39 AM
My previous hamster Pixie was my first. She never really slowed down much and lived life to the full, I thought she was going to go on forever, but I found her one day and was completely surprised that she had gone as she never really seemed to age! Looking back there were a few signs of age - she was always perfectly litter trained (from day 1!) but in the last few weeks she started to go in corners of her cage, and sometimes I'd catch her looking a bit confused about where she was. I think she must have had hammy Alzheimers or something!

Anyway so I came on to say I can't really comment on aging hamsters as I see most people see signs of slowing down but I suppose sometimes it doesn't happen in the same way. I'm glad that Pixie went like that, she didn't suffer, which would have been so hard for both of us.