PDA

View Full Version : why does he nibble at my hand

floridasfinest
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
well i just got a new hamster 3 days ago. started putting my hand in the cage yesterday and picked him up a couple of times but when i put my hand in the cage or he is sitting on my hand he likes to nibble. he doesn't bit but i move my fingers so he can't bite harder. what should i do so he stops nibbling at me. it doesn't hurt its just a little nibble but worried it might lead to something harder.

here is a pic of him he is a russian dwarf

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/snwgrl/Photo0156.jpg

Bunsey
04-01-2009, 09:55 AM
does he only nip when you put your hand in the cage or all the time? Campbells are cage territorial and often need to be lifted out of the cage in a mug or tube.

floridasfinest
04-01-2009, 10:09 AM
yea i just tried that like 5 minutes ago and took him to my bed to let him walk over me. he didn't bite or anything but he is still a little nervous to be picked up. he can only deal with it for a couple of mintues. but before i lifted him up out of his cage he walked on my hand and was trying to crawl up my arm :D \:D/ so i think he like me. but he has never bitten me just nibbled untill i took him out of his cage. so it looks like you were right.

suga
04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
always make sure you wash your hands before handling - you may just smell/taste like a yummy nibble. :-)

souffle
04-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Our dwarfies always do this. They never bite down but the seem to investigate you by licking and gentle nibbles that never hurt or draw blood. They never do it hard and I think it is just how they explore the world around them. You are doing great if he is taming well after only 3 days :)