PDA

View Full Version : Orange Urine?

sugarsmummy
09-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Hey guys. Basically my chinese hamster Sugar has bright orange urine (I can see it on her wheel). It seemed to start when I started giving her orange and betroot treats by burgess - obviously carrots are bright orange, so could this be the cause? Or should I be worried and take her to the vet?! :(:confused:

sugarsmummy
09-01-2015, 06:18 PM
just to add, i give her fresh water every day and make sure the bottle is never empty so i dont think she is dehydrated!

Wanna Hamster
09-01-2015, 06:58 PM
How often are the carrots and beetroot fed?

sugarsmummy
09-01-2015, 07:17 PM
How often are the carrots and beetroot fed?

Every 2 - 3 days roughly!

Wanna Hamster
09-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Maybe try changing it to once a week or so, and it might help. I'm no real expert on this, but sometimes colored foods can lead to colored urine.

cypher
09-01-2015, 11:38 PM
I would just stop feeding the treats & see what happens, beetroot can colour urine quite a lot & although it's harmless (in humans, not sure about hams!) both beetroot & carrot are fairly high in sugars so not the best thing for a Chinese.
Try feeding small pieces of broccoli, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage, courgette, pepper or any of the other safe less sweet veg instead.

Thin Lizzy
09-02-2015, 02:23 AM
I think if you give the carrot and beetroot less, her urine colour will lighten. Broccoli, cucumber and red pepper are lot of hamster's favourites.