PDA

View Full Version : Hamster won't chew

IndigoElectron
03-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Considering my Syrian was a chronic bar chewer, this is quite ironic :roll:

Since I put her in a tank cage, she's stopped chewing pretty much altogether. Sometimes she has a go at the spout of her water bottle but seems to get bored with that easily, she tries to reach the bars at the top of the cage but can't manage it. She's not chewing any of the wooden toys in her cage, and now I'm worried about her teeth getting too long.

Any ideas? I've heard I can give her dog biscuits, which type?

Bunsey
03-27-2009, 08:47 PM
you can give the little dog bones that are called Biscrox or the pedigree milk bones (not as popular). I know there are others you can give but i'm not sure which ones. Just as long as they don't have onion or garlic in.

You can also try egg biscuits and those honey stick treat bars, once a week. Some hamsters will chew on cardboard tubes, especially if you rip the end off yourself, so it has a jagged edge. Actually, it's also helpful to snap the biscrox in half, too. Jagged edges are much easier for them.

oh, and also, i give mine dog chews which i think are Pedigree, that look like long bendy, rubbery sticks coloured green or orange (spinach or tomato flavour i believe). They look like an asterix if you look at them end on.