PDA

View Full Version : Untamable?

sparklyfluff
03-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Is there such a thing as an untamable hamster? I've never had this with any of the other 6 i had before but then i haven't had a p@h hammy before now either and it's turning out to be a bad move! Firstly he is over the wet tail, i've given him a couple of days to settle back in, he generally won't come out if there is people in the room unless he has to and then he won't stay out for long, i opened the top of his cage yesterday and he started bearing his teeth at me and shaking, i know he's not doing it to be nasty, he's just terrified but i don't understand why or where to start with him!

How can i make him see i'm not going to hurt him without getting bitten a lot?

souffle
03-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Awww sparklyfluff I know how frustrated you must be getting but it is still very early days yet. The little man is absolutly petrified and after all he has been through who can blame him. He may not yet be as well as you think and may feel delicate and unbalanced. I do not think he is untamable I just think he will take a lot longer and sadly he may never be as tame as a well hamster. What sort of cage is he in? It may be worth tring him in a large bin for a few weeks s you have good and easy access to get him out without too much stress. Start again at the very beginning with the scented tissue and talking and gradually work up to the lift and lay down then the lift and hand to hand walking. I wish I were nearer then we could help out. It is harder when you have some kiddies who want to play with him too. All I can say is keep on trying. Love kindness and patience will see him there I'm sure
There is a similar thread here and look how this little one progressed
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6442 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6442)

XX

sparklyfluff
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes i suppose thinking about it he has been through it in his tiny life so far and I didn't think that he might not be 100% yet even though he looks better.

He's in a cage like -http://www.pet-points.com/images/bingo.jpgwe got it because it's the same dimensions as a gabber rex which is what we wanted but couldn't get hold of so just converted one of these instead so it's fairly easy access wise. The kids are actually being incredibly patient about it which has surprised me, they just enjoy watching him when he is out of his bed at the minute.

I think perhaps i'm just worried because the hamsters i have had in the past have tamed very easily and been extremely friendly once they were, i guess custard is my little challenge lol. I will start what you have said and see how we get on with him, thanks again for your help :)