PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Seeds?

fluffybumolivia
08-14-2015, 01:46 AM
Hello I haven't made a thread in ages!! Anyway I was wondering how fattening Pumpkin seeds are because Lacey mei loves them and always eats them first out of her mix! I was thinking of buying an extra pack as treats to hide around her house and in toys to encorage her to do a bit of foraging!
So my questions are:
1.How Fattening are they
2.If i was to buy extra then where is best to buy them
3.Any other natural treat suggestions (I want to make a list in my hamster folder lol)
4. And also while im on here to save making another thread, Do rotastack chocolate, milk & yoghurt drops go out of date really?? Because i have some that are going out of date soon and i dont think my hams could get through them in time!!
Thanks in advance! x

hammy2
08-14-2015, 03:10 AM
I think pumpkin seeds are fairly low in fat and are a healthy treat. Rotastack chocolates should be fine if a month or two out of date if they've been kept cool and dry. Be wary of sugar content in shop brought hamster treats though especially if you have dwarf or diabetic hamsters as I was shocked to find out rotastak chocolate is quite high in sugar. Should be fine if you only give as an occasional treat though

fluffybumolivia
08-14-2015, 03:13 AM
I think pumpkin seeds are fairly low in and are a healthy treat. Rotastack chocolates should be fine if a month or two out of date if they've been kept cool and dry. Be wary of sugar content in shop brought hamster treats though especially if you have dwarf or diabetic hamsters as I was shocked to find out rotastak chocolate is quite high in sugar. Should be fine if you only give as an occasional treat though

Thank you!! I only give one or two quite rarely anyway hence my question cause they definitely wouldn't get through them all in the time frame!
On another note...
I just realised I'm now an adult hamster!! Yay!!

ClaraHam
08-14-2015, 03:25 AM
I searched information, and as I have seen, is the same as with sunflower seeds, give to hamsters small quantities of these seeds, because although they like are as much treats, they are not very nutritious. Give them unsalted and unroasted.

cypher
08-14-2015, 03:31 AM
As far as I know pumpkin seeds are about 49% fat so pretty high but full of vits & minerals plus some good protein too so they are a healthy treat but I don't give more than a couple a week.
Best to get them in the shell if you can, it prolongs the fun & is good for their teeth! I get mine from ratrations, not sure who else sells them in the shell though.
Don't have a clue about Rotastack treats, I'm guessing they have preservatives so probably ok for a short while after the sell by date but they are basically junk food for hams so only use very sparingly at the best of times.

fluffybumolivia
08-14-2015, 03:46 AM
As far as I know pumpkin seeds are about 49% fat so pretty high but full of vits & minerals plus some good protein too so they are a healthy treat but I don't give more than a couple a week.
Best to get them in the shell if you can, it prolongs the fun & is good for their teeth! I get mine from ratrations, not sure who else sells them in the shell though.
Don't have a clue about Rotastack treats, I'm guessing they have preservatives so probably ok for a short while after the sell by date but they are basically junk food for hams so only use very sparingly at the best of times.
Thank you! I'll check ratrations out!

HollyHamster
08-20-2015, 02:22 PM
You could always go and buy a pumpkin in the fall and save the seeds from it. It's what I did and still have plenty left. I keep them in a zip lock baggie but any airtight container would work.

RubyDG
08-20-2015, 02:29 PM
My local health food shop sells them too. I prefer buying from them because I pay by weight so it works out cheaper. It's worth checking if you have a health food store near where you live.

Avocado
08-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Our Syrians love pumpkin seeds, our Chinese loves sesame and sunflower. :-)