PDA

View Full Version : Will this little Guy be alright?

arfey
08-06-2015, 10:32 AM
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1168_zpsdtduvkiv.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1165_zpsrsfhepkx.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1169_zps9z885u3i.jpg

Today I adopted a little guy off gumtree, as i was concerned for him. This is the state of the cage he was living in. In addition to what you can see the water in his bottle was turning dark. He was shy and hid in his house, when I lifted it gently yet more poop started falling out.

I've ordered an Alaska for him that's showing up tomorrow with all the bells and whistles, I thought he would be able to stay another night in the cage, but when it arrived I realised he couldn't.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1170_zpsremc36tp.jpg

I've made him some temp digs as shown till tomorrow. He had just a house, a food bowl and a water bottle. The food bowl seemed to only have the little brown cylinders you get in the normal mix. He didn't have a stash at all and as you can appreciate the cage is tiny

There were a few cobwebs and flies on the old cage, I've had to chuck it, and hoover up quickly as I don't want my other animals getting sick.

He is very shy and nippy, understandably but seems in good health, we gave him some carrot and he got through it very fast, my other two have never eaten it as fast. Generally he seems in good health a few tougher spots of fur, as if it needs grooming, no bites on examination.

He is also thin, you can see his bones at times.

Overall is there anything I need to look out for and can I feed him normally, will he need extra or less initially to get him to a healthy amount.

It's been a very emotional day for us but if this little guy is okay in the end it will all be worth it. We don't care if he isn't cuddly or whatever we just want him to be okay, move into his Alaska, have lots of toys and be happier.

Jen250
08-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Oh my goodness, the poor thing! Is that a bird cage? I have no advice, just wanted to say it's wonderful what you're doing for him.

Piebald
08-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Oh that is shocking neglect. Is he a Syrian? I can't really tell. I'd suggest maybe one of, I think it's racinghamster's, favorite things, an upside down tissue box with no bottom "floor" so it sits on the substrate with a door cut into the short side for a house. I see him not going in the lovely house you provided and I wonder if he might prefer a bit bigger and darker house. ETA or fit a bendy bridge over the entrance to make a tunnel and keep it dark inside. Bless you for taking him in. I hope he gets healthy. Maybe try a small piece of cucumber or apple to keep his hydration up? Anyone else think?
Can't wait to see him in his Alaska. xx That cage looks like a bird cage.

arfey
08-06-2015, 12:01 PM
He didn't like the house at first till we put a small piece of cardboard over just under half of the bin, now he's okay. He's wandering around munching everything, poor little guy seems starved. In his Alaska we will probably put the house under the shelf.

He has done about twenty poos though, not exaggerating. I'm wondering because there was so much in his old cage, could he have maybe held it in, as all of them look pretty normal. I did notice his tummy was an odd shape before but is better now he's been to the loo so much.

He does have a tissue box in the other corner just in case, and a gnaw block just for now, as well as ample food and water, water bottle was a bugger to set up but got there. There are a few extra things coming for him tomorrow too.

I will give him some Kiwi as that should help with hydration and I don't have apple/cucumber at the moment and he looks as though he deserves it.

Piebald
08-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Sounds good! Be a bit careful with too much fruit as it might give him some runs. Poor guy holding in his poop. :( xx

souffle
08-06-2015, 12:12 PM
well done for rescuing him. You are doing great. I'd advise taking it slow with too much extra stuff but gradually build up over a few weeks. With all starved animals it can make them ill suddenly getting a load of food even though you feel they need it. The hamster mix is fine but gradually introduce veg and a bit of extra protein like chicken / cheese / pasta etc one at a time and monitor how his tummy copes. Glad he is safe now. Carefully introduce the new cage I'd say so as not to stress him. At fist let him play in there for an hour, then back then a couple of hours then leave him overnight. Transfer some of his old bedding and toys when he moves o keep his scent and keep things calm and peaceful x What have you named him?

arfey
08-06-2015, 12:34 PM
We were thinking Denzil originally, as the rats are Dizzy and Dylan and the other Syrians are Dora and Daisy, but we're also considering Lucky, as the poor guy seems lucky to be alive.

Shannonmcn
08-06-2015, 01:44 PM
No better advice from me than you've gotten already, just glad to read a rescue story! Poor little guy has been through a lot :( I hope he gets settled and healthy soon!

racinghamster
08-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Isn`t it shocking in the 21st century that people can still keep a Syrian hamster in such a prison? You have done him proud arfey and he can only thrive now. Looks like he was eating some kind of pellets? It beggars belief that they survive at all with such little food and enrichment. :(

Oh yes, thanks Piebald for mentioning the upside down Shoe box as a sleeping house! :) These are great for Syrians and dwarf hamsters they are light enough for the hamster to move, chew and even sit on top! I use a long tissue box for my Russian dwarf, he loves it!

Can`t wait to hear how he`s doing and WELL DONE for giving him a better life. x

BluerayDarkes
08-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Some people just shouldn't be allowed to keep pets.

Jen250
08-07-2015, 01:57 AM
Any updates on how the little guy is doing?

Tildauk
08-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Poor little thing what terrible people for not looking after him better :(

arfey
08-07-2015, 09:40 AM
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1190_zpsfkybjank.jpg

Last night we put an imac extension on the green base and taped some cardboard over the holes as well as making a makeshift shelf. He did come onto the shelf to have a look at us as well as to show us how could a climber he was.

He is wolfing down everything we're giving him so we're being cautious, not too much too quick. The only exception being the bits in the mix that resemble whatever he had in the old cage can't really blame him.

We're going with Denzil for his name, no need to linger on his history just make sure he's well cared for now, although I'm having a bit of trouble not being too angry, the lady handed him over so casually, but I've deleted her number and hoping the ad on gumtree will disappear soon.

The Alaska will be another day but we're gonna put a photo up tomorrow night. We'll do as suggested gradually introduce him, or maybe keep an eye on him see how he gets on.

He looked quite happy climbing about and talking softly to him seems to help relax him, in fact all my hamsters seem to enjoy being talked to gently.

We'll gradually build his weight back up, most of the damage seems to be psychological, he doesn't like sudden movements, noises etc, although he quickly clams down when you speak softly to him.

He is still pooping quite a lot, I'm hoping this is because of the other cage being full, the poops don't look unhealthy and his behaviour seems normal apart from being a little scared.

Apart from being easily freaked he does have patches of fur I assume he's ripped out, maybe due to boredom, as I know that's common in other rodents.

I think the best thing is going to be building his diet up and a lot of talking and comfort, handling is going to be difficult, what I think is I may have to use a glove when he's settled in and try him in the pen.

All the advice is greatly appreciated and it's so nice to see so many people out there concerned for him.

I think he's going to be okay, if you know anything I should look out for health wise or any more tips are greatly appreciated, we just want him to be okay and know that he's safe and will be looked after now.

Edit: He's sleeping in and out of the house at the moment. He seems to like the house and the corner but can't really make his mind up. We're trying to make where the house is a bit darker for him, sadly he doesn't like the tissue box at all, well apart from to chew and destroy, but it's nice to see him do that.

racinghamster
08-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Bless his little red bum! :) Your doing great arfey. One thing I would follow now is this. Because of his past and the fact that he`s jumpy or may be feeling a little strange, keep cage cleaning to a minimum and only spot clean. Don`t throw any of his shavings or bedding away, even if you feel it needs to be. Syrians being solitary hamsters rely on their instructs to build a home, a secure territory and that to him is his cage, his boundary. He will feel safe in there.

Keep everything basic (as you are doing) and let him be the king of his castle. He may well stash food too so let him. That is him hiding his stores for future use. If a hamster ever pees on it, that usually means they know it`s been disturbed. I always leave my dwarf hamsters hoards alone now! x

Piebald
08-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Bless he looks comfy enough there. LOL chew and destroy the tissue box, good for him. xx

Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow. :)

virtualkeith
08-07-2015, 01:52 PM
I don't have any advise to offer, but I just wanted to chime in and tell you arfey, that I am really impressed and inspired by you opening your life to adopt this hamster. He is one lucky little guy.

arfey
08-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Thanks for reminding me about spot cleans, we learnt that lesson a week or two ago with Daisy, but we'll be sure to do that from now on, as we are with Dora and Daisy.

It's mostly good today, the cage arrived, unfortunately his wheel, hanging toy, climbing frame and ceramic bowl weren't with it (ordered at literally the same time). This morning he seemed less scared but still cautious.

Moving him into his new cage made him seem like a totally new hamster, we put fresh stuff in and topped it up with the old making sure to transfer his bed and stash. I've still got the makeshift cage on standby but so far he's exploring confidently and coming out into the open a lot. He's also just started taking food out of our hands, which is a nice step forward.

He's not hiding or shaking anymore just exploring, climbing, chewing, stopping to look at us on his hind legs. If you glanced at him you wouldn't know he was so scared yesterday. As you can imagine we are both chuffed, we'll still keep an eye out, not to be complacent but so far he's more than okay.

I'm a little surprised as I thought he was going to be more tricky to settle, but fingers crossed, he's getting there now, after a ten minute explore he is now re-organising his bedding back into his house which we put under a shelf so it's sheltered for him.

Thanks folks for all your kind words and advice and if you like maybe I can do another update next week and maybe another picture or two when he has his new wheel and other toys. Pictures below.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1202_zpsfoyuzree.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1199_zpsvyfyxewu.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1197_zpsw0yzvnom.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/arfey82/PICT1196_zpsxnrfqfc6.jpg

souffle
08-08-2015, 05:50 AM
aww he is lovely - He is a little Golden hamster in colour :)

racinghamster
08-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Really good to see him in his Alaska and exploring. :) He will do what he wants to do now and scent mark, make his nest, create his stash and be a happy chappy! For the future, I would only spot clean him now and do half cage cleans and just let him enjoy his cage now. Wonder what he will make of the wheel when it goes in?!!! x

BrainGirl
08-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Aww, well done! He looks like a totally different hamster. I think he's starting to realize he's in a much better place with you:)

Piebald
08-09-2015, 12:40 AM
He is really gorgeous. xx So happy for both of you.

Book_lover
08-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Can your hamster fit in the little house that comes with the cage?

Doenut
08-09-2015, 06:54 AM
I have adopted two Syrians (Dax and Bear) from Gumtree when I became concerned for their welfare, both arrived in atrocious conditions.

Your little one here reminds me of Bear (photo). When I got him he was shy and timid and very bitey. But most concerning of all he was extremely thin. When he would allow me to stroke him all I could feel were his bones through his coat. He is now well rounded and as happy as can be!!

Dax, Bear and I think you have done a wonderful thing! :D This little guy will be absolutely fine and will thrive in your care. The only thing I can say from experience is that it can take time to build trust. Its taken four months for Bear to trust me enough to be held.

Well done for being awesome and standing up for him!

arfey
08-09-2015, 11:25 AM
He can fit in the house that comes with the cage but he has a wooden one under the yellow shelf which is bigger and he prefers. We hide stuff like treats and bedding in the other one which he gets and reorganises.

Bare in mind he is very small too, he is about half the size of my biggest (Dora who is still growing). I think this may be due to being underfed, however we will keep an eye out if he grows we'll chuck the house, we're getting a wooden ramp up to the shelf too as we think he may easily outgrow the hole. Overall the Alaska isn't bad for the price, but for bigger Syrians you will probably need to make those mods. To be honest for the slight price difference the barney is much better, but this little guy caught us off guard as it were, maybe we'll get him one in a few months, clear up some space etc, it's been a tight fit as is, but we just couldn't turn him away.

Doenut, it's nice to know there are others out there looking out for the little guys, and yes I think it will be a while before Denzil can be handled although he stands on his hind legs quite a bit so we give him a good look over.

His fur is already growing back and he's just getting more and more confident, he's still cautious of course and sometimes he'll take food off you but will be careful, patience and time is all we can give it.

One thing I would like to know, is how you get your head straight seeing this stuff. I know my girlfriend has cried a lot during the first days we had him, and I was kinda like no, not gonna let it bother me, he's gonna be better off. However it all kinda hit me today, trying not to obsess over how long he was like that or how many others are out there like that.

Silly thing is he's progressing well and although cautious seems happy, it just doesn't make it any easier knowing his history and that this stuff goes on, I guess experiencing it makes it more real. It was a family that dropped him off to us, with no shame, they were so casual, like nothing was wrong and this was normal.

I guess all we can do is just keep an eye out and help the ones we can.

Piebald
08-09-2015, 04:38 PM
You're a lovely human being arfy. xx

DrKMcK
08-09-2015, 04:50 PM
One thing I would like to know, is how you get your head straight seeing this stuff. I know my girlfriend has cried a lot during the first days we had him, and I was kinda like no, not gonna let it bother me, he's gonna be better off. However it all kinda hit me today, trying not to obsess over how long he was like that or how many others are out there like that.

Silly thing is he's progressing well and although cautious seems happy, it just doesn't make it any easier knowing his history and that this stuff goes on, I guess experiencing it makes it more real. It was a family that dropped him off to us, with no shame, they were so casual, like nothing was wrong and this was normal.

I guess all we can do is just keep an eye out and help the ones we can.

You have done a wonderful thing rescuing this little one. Lots of us have rescued hams and it is awful to see and hear about their situations. Just keep in mind that a hamster's life is only a few years long. So, in a week or 2 being with you and having people be gentle with him, this little guy is forgetting what went on before. In a month or two he will believe he is king of his world. My Nutmeg is a rescue and I have no idea how old she is. As a full grown hammy she had no idea what a wheel was for. Now, she loves her wheel and her life. You get through by changing their lives. That's a good thing and that's what you focus on. I can't save the world, but I can save a little life here and there. :-)

Book_lover
08-10-2015, 01:54 AM
Thank you for your advice.

Jen250
08-10-2015, 02:06 AM
It is so wonderful seeing someone care so much and making a hamster's life so much happier. He looks and sounds as if he's already doing so well. Like your girlfriend, I had a little bit of a cry yesterday looking at Gumtree. My boyfriend told me, "you can't save them all." And we can't. But you have made such a wonderful difference in a hamster's life, and that's important.

arfey
08-10-2015, 04:25 AM
I'm a bit better today, as you say focusing on positives is good. I think the initial shock is the bad thing, being told something is bad never quite prepares you for the actual truth.

Again thanks for all the kind words.

All three of our Syrians (or do they secretly own us?) live in the living room, as we talk to them and they seem to enjoy the dynamic of having there own space but being able to come to the edge of the cage. Dora regularly dozes off in the corner near us before waking up and retreating to her house.

I mention this because in the future I may be able to house another hammy but it would be in a separate room. I'm not keen on this idea though as I like to be there when they wake up. Maybe we're strange but we enjoy talking to them and they always come to the edge of the cage to listen.

Although the flip side is that if a hammy is in really bad digs a separate room with a nice cage is an upgrade.

Unfortunately I don't know if a reshuffle of the living room is possible due to the rats. We have a play area for them, which is quite big as they need quite a bit of stimulation, we have quite a clever one who is easily bored so he needs that space.

The hamster free range area will be upstairs. We have something temp for now, but Dora and Daisy seem to just like hanging out on my shoulder, and checking my ear, as do the rats, I keep insisting there's nothing in there.

I think I'm just keen to do more but want to clarify my limitations, as Jen's boyfriend says we can't save em all, but we can focus on what we can do.

EDIT: Denzil is now pooping a normal quantity, so the large amount previously was either nerves or him having to hold it as the old cage was so full I guess.