PDA

View Full Version : Little Mo going slow

shazzy
03-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Hello,

My syrian Little Mo is usually a bit of a nut case - charging around her cage, running in her wheel, and trying to get out when I open the lid.

However last night she was totally different and I am a little worried...

We were going out last night, so when Mo got up at her usually time of 6pm I got her out straight away and let her run in her ball for ten minutes. She was fine then - we went out and left her chewing on a bonio

We came back about 9pm and she was in her tube (her sleeping place) - I had bought her a snuggle pouch so put it in her cage, and when she came out to investigate she walked really slowly up to it and seemed really scared of it. I moved it to a different part of the cage and she still seemed scared of it so after a while i took it out.

I got her out in my hands for a cuddle and rather than running around my arms like a madwoman she sat really still on my hand with her ears pricked up. (quite unusual for Mo!)

I put her back in the cage and Mo returned to her tube. I went to bed, and when i got up this morning there didnt seem to have been much action from her during the night (the bonio we left sticking out of her water bottle hole was untouched and usually it is totally gone)

This morning she was in her tube again - she is usually still up at pottering around at 8am but was still in bed. She did come out and ate a few rice crispies in milk and took a bit of digestive biscuit..

anyway...after all that rambling, i was wondering, do u think she was sulking because we went out and left her when usually I would be playing with her all night? It was a change in her normal routine... and do you think she could be hiding because the snuggle pouch really scared her? Now when she comes out of her tube she walks reallly slowly around the cage like she is scared...

Or do you think she could be ill?

Sorry for rambling, just she seemed rather different to her usual self and I was worried!

IndigoElectron
03-20-2009, 02:38 AM
That's so weird - I was just about to post something very similar. Myfanwy is usually extremely exciteable, running round and chewing the bars to be let out.

I was out for the day yesterday and didn't get home until 8.30pm. She's usually up and about but she was in her bed, and when I went over to say hello, she eventually came out but then just sat there and stared at me without moving for ages. I gave her a treat which she ignored. I went out the room and when I came back in she had gone back to her bed.

I decided to let her out in her ball as she normally goes in this once or twice a day - she was very slow to get in the ball (usually she goes straight in) and when she did, she was running round the floor more slowly than usual. When I put her back in the cage she went back to bed.

I was also worried she was ill, but she seemed much more like her normal self this morning - so I wonder if she was sulking because I got home late and she hadn't been let out! Or maybe she was just tired.

I don't have any answer to your question but I'd say just keep an eye on her and see if she perks up later on today.

shazzy
03-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Hmmm very strange - and quite a coincidence!

Mo has had the odd night like this before - so maybe she was just feeling quiet. She seems to be interested in food still.

Lets hope its just them feeling a little tired or something - and hope they both get back to normal tonight :roll: :D

IndigoElectron
03-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Let's hope so - I've only had her 6 weeks but I'm very attached to her already!

It does make me chuckle, the idea that they can sulk because we're not always there attending to their every need :lol:

souffle
03-20-2009, 03:22 AM
Both your hamsters are now getting to the more settled stage of their lives and they do become less frantic and excitable and settle into a routine just like babies of any type when they reach adolescence. The light is changing rapidly, spring is here and their hormonal systems will be activating and they respond by changing sleeping and waking routines. When the clocks change you will notice them respond too!
I think that Little Mo was unsure about the snuggle pouch. They often do what we call 'the pancake creep' when they encounter an unfamiliar object or smell when they walk along really flat and slow to investigate. Maybe she does not like it. I would introduce it to her when she is fully awake and has been out and handled. Put her in it on your knee and let her snuffle around. It will get her scent on it. Personally we do not leave fabric items in the cages in case they are chewed and cause bowel blockages or tangle round tiny toes so it may be best kept as a playtime toy. I expect coming out of bed and seeing it there gave her a bit of a fright and now she is not sure if it may be there again so gets up hesitantly.
Any change of behavior can of course indicate illness so check both hams over very carefully for wet botties, eating and pooing well, wet corner OK? Lumps bumps cuts or bruises, teeth OK? breath smell fine etc and if anything is amiss see the vet.

shazzy
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Well she must've just been having a quiet night because little Mo seems to be back to her normal self tonight....she's been running around in her ball and is now pounding her wheel as I speak... which is a relief.

Hows Myfanwy tonight?

IndigoElectron
03-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Oh, I'm glad little Mo is ok :)

Myfanwy is fine too, she was up and about on Friday night and having a good old chew of those bars! She has been on her own since yesterday though, as I stayed at my boyfriend's last night - but when I got home she poked her head out of her bed, came up to me for a bit of toast, and now she's asleep again. I plan to spend lots of time with her this evening.

Souffle, I have checked her over and she seems fine physically - no wet bottom or anything, though I have some concerns about her teeth (will post in the Health forum).