PDA

View Full Version : Syrian hamster is 19 days pregnant

JessB
07-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Hello,
By my calendar account our hamster is on her 19th day of gestation. I checked her tonight and she allowed me to hold her without much fuss. She is drinking and eating and nesting. She appears to have a tiny bit of crusty discharge at her vaginal opening but other than that everything looks great under the hood. I am going to take her to a vet tomorrow if there is no litter. She is a youngish hamster and this is her first litter.

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

DrKMcK
07-23-2015, 04:55 PM
I have had a hamster give birth on the 19th day, so see what happens overnight. If there are no pups tonight a vet visit would be wise.

JessB
07-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the response, let's hope things get moving soon

JessB
07-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Well this morning we had no pups..so went to the vet. Had x-rays and ultrasound. Hamster appears fine, pups appear fine. No signs of distress for either. Hips are not fused.

I will bring her back if she shows signs of distress and we may go the pitocin route at that point.

Nancy's Hamsters
07-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Are you 100% on the due date? Often in the excitement of breeding we accidently mark down the wrong date bred which throws everything after the mating off.

I would not use this female again, nor any of her offspring if it is her prolonging birth. Also just to for warn you so you are prepared. Pitocin given BEFORE a free birth of at least one pup can cause serious problems and may cause the loss of the litter and Mom when the only chance at saving mom is a complete and very risky spaying. Petocin causes involuntary womb contractions. It also often causes the womb to contract around the fetuses and STOPS any movement of pups down the Birth horn thus requiring the Vet to surgically remove the pups(C-Sections on Hamsters is most successful if the whole womb is removed pups and all. Problem with this is when Mom awakes she often doesn't have the mothering instincts as she would birthing naturally so she sees her own pups as intruders and destroys them all. Just wanted to alert, not alarm you of the worst scenario so you are prepared.

Lets pray you are just off on the due date and all goes normal birth.

JessB
07-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Hi Nancy,
I figured if we go the pitocin route, things will be pretty bad off :(. I don't plan to breed her again, she has caused too much stress (for me!). I am convinced I have the dates right. I am hoping for a good outcome here, but obviously have my doubts. Thanks for the info

DrKMcK
07-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Fingers crossed here JessB. :-( I know this is really worrying.

Nancy's Hamsters
07-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Well anything happen yet? Do we have pups or nothing yet?

DrKMcK
07-25-2015, 10:42 AM
I was thinking about this little one this morning. When I saw the posting I was hoping to see good news.

JessB
07-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Still no pups. 21 days. :(. She still appears just fine. No sign of contractions, moving well around her cage. Drinking water, interested in food.

kelza
07-25-2015, 08:07 PM
It's good that she seems to be fine. Hang in there JessB, I hope she has them soon (for both your sake)! Come on sweet girl, it's time to have those pups and stop stressing your mom!

JessB
07-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Well, anyone who is following this update will appreciate the new news. I can NOT believe how dumb I have been, I am horribly embarrassed right now! While I had the mating date right, I was counting the days since incorrectly in my head. I don't know why I didn't get my calendar out and look at it properly. I also can't believe I took her to the vet and had x-rays and an ultrasound (stressing her out needlessly and costing me a small fortune!!). GAHHHH!! Lesson learned. For the record, Squeak is 15 days pregnant (I was adding on a whole week), and by the looks of it FULL of pups. I am so sorry for worrying everyone, and thank you so much to those who responded and tried to help.

Nancy's Hamsters
07-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Glad that it was a miscount and don't blame yourself to much as I am willing to bet every one of us has at one time or another done the same thing. Here's to a healthy and trouble free birth sometime today. Will be waiting for the news of pink Beans in the tank.

Piebald
07-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Are x-Rays safe for foetuses?