PDA

View Full Version : Back of head is bald...

nuggetnik
07-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Hello, I have 3 sister robos in a large box, they're about 3 months old now. I clean the box out every week and noticed today that one of them has a bald patch behind her head, of the 3, this one with the bald spot is the one who is most anxious and runs a mile as soon as I go near her, whereas the other two are fine, could it be that she is just overly stressed and over grooming herself? Or could it be an underlying health problem? I watch them regularly for signs of fighting and other than little bumps into each other, they seem fine, they all sleep cuddled together as well

Thin Lizzy
07-13-2015, 03:28 AM
Hi nuggetnik,
I think you may need to separate the robos.
It sounds like the one with the bald patch may be getting picked on by the other 2 and her running a mile as soon as you go near her is her feeling scared and nervous.
Sometimes they can live together for a long time but any sign of fighting and they must be separated straight away. You'll probably find once they're separated their confidence and personalities will come through.
Have you got cages to house them solo?

nuggetnik
07-13-2015, 04:06 AM
Hello, no problems, I will start by separating the baldish one first into her own box and then keep monitoring them all.

I don't have cages to house them solo, but I can go out and by some, they currently reside in a large Ikea box

nuggetnik
07-13-2015, 02:58 PM
By the way, could the baldness be related to mites?

cypher
07-13-2015, 11:37 PM
It's good that you're separating this little one, it'll be a lot easier to keep an eye on her & she'll probably be a lot happier once she's adjusted to the change.
Mites can cause hair loss & bald patches but you would be seeing lots of scratching too.

nuggetnik
07-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Just as an update, I have since separated all three of them and the one who had bald patches has since grown her fur back and is no longer like that which is promising. She still runs a mile when she hears the slightest of noises etc. and always seems very anxious, I will continue to monitor her, it seems she had a rough upbringing in the ghetto early on.

Thin Lizzy
07-30-2015, 07:07 PM
That 's great news that the hair has grown back, she'll be feeling a lot more confident being separated.
Have you decided on names fo them?

nuggetnik
08-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Not yet, I have had to list some of them for adoption because it is extremely difficult to manage four separate hamsters, I hope to keep two of them which there is enough space for in my room.