PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the ear

Gimleyand Meeko
07-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Meeko has a little hole in her right ear. It is on the edge so it is a U shape in the ear. It is like the mark when a cat has been neutered or spayed, can hamsters be neutered or spayed and if so is that why there is a hole there. Meeko was the last of the litter to be adopted so was there a fight do you think between the pups and Meeko. Or is the hole some sort of Birth Mark?

Gimley also has a silver gleaming stripe on the bottom of her eye which I think is an eyelid. Any suggestions for help would be helpful :)

Artsy Hammy
07-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Could you post a picture of it? That would help us to see exactly what you are talking about.

Is it new, or has this been there since you got your hamster? In other words, is it causing a problem for the hamster?

Robodwarfs18
07-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Sorry, I don't know anything about these kinda things but I hope Meeko is okay and it's nothing serious :(

GarnetsSlave
07-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Hamsters generally aren't spayed or neutered, unless it's a female with a womb infection, so it shouldn't be from that. It's probably where some of the hamsters on the litter had a bit of a squabble.

Gimleyand Meeko
07-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Ok, I only have just noticed this yesterday (the hole in the ear) so I will see if it is affecting Meeko and I will get some pics to :)

I will also get some pics of Gimley too and see if this is affecting Gimley to (with the silver gleaming thing)

souffle
07-06-2015, 02:31 PM
It's very common to see little ear nicks or holes. The ear skin is very thing and it is often damaged in the nest when mum picks a pup up wrongly or the pups are nibbling each other or bickering as they get older. It won't affect Gimley as long as it is all healed up and clean looking. :) I see them very frequently on the show bench when judging.

icycold
07-06-2015, 03:44 PM
My hamster Monster had two holes on her earlobe when she was alive.
We got her quite young, so I assume her cagemate gave them to her!
Totally normal, though - and didn't give her any trouble.