PDA

View Full Version : Bar Chewing!

danielle
03-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Hi everyone- I hope you can help!
I moved Haffertee (my Syrian) to a zoozone a while back and he loves the extra space. However, he's started climbing up to the meshed bars (via his house, bridge or puzzle playground) and hanging from the ones nearest the opening of the lid whilst repeatedly chewing them. In the last week he's sustained a teeny cut on his mouth and a slightly bloody broken nail :( I've had to move the tall things in his cage so that he can't climb up and hurt himself any more! Why is he doing this? He has lots of stimulation in his cage plus ball time and plenty of handling several times a day. Is there anything I can do to prevent this other than taping over the exposed bars or sticking cardboard on them so he can't reach them?
Thanks in advance for your advice- he's cross that I've taken away his fun things for now but I just don't want him to hurt himself!

souffle
03-06-2009, 05:28 AM
It seems that once they know the way out they can be intent on trying to climb up there! If I were you I would cardboard over one area and put the climbing toys under that then leave the other side with open bars where he cannot get to. PH designed a perspex bar cover for our Gabbers and this has certainly stopped ours doing this. There is a link here
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5240 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5240)