PDA

View Full Version : Bin cage questions

Robodwarfs18
06-18-2015, 02:20 PM
I have three questions about bin cages so here we go:

1. Do bin cages need lids if the walls are 56 cm tall?

2. If you have no lid do you still need to cut holes for ventilation? Cause I don't think I have the tools for that.

3. Can I just stick mesh over the top of the bin and bend it over the sides to make a lid?

I tried my best to describe my questions but I hope it is understandable.

Thanks, please get back to me as soon as possible! :)

SecretlyDying
06-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Hi i'll try help as all 3 if my hams live in bin cages.

1) I personally think yes because hamsters are great escape artist ;)

2) I personally dont think so but some may think differently

3) Yes i believe you can, i think a member here has done that, I think it's Nat for her hamster Dolly's bin cage. I found a random pic from google images to try help, you might have to secure it somehow (maybe cable ties? but turned inside out so they're removable? this would require small holes though)

I hope this helps :)

Pebbles82
06-18-2015, 08:25 PM
I think it would be best to have a lid too. I believe people cut nearly all of the lid out just leaving the frame bit that fits onto the bin and mesh that hole. I don't think you need any special tools - I seem to remember people using a hot knife - ie heating a knife over a gas flame and then using that to cut through, but it might be an idea to ask your Dad to help with that, and he might have some other tools too maybe? It would also need a big hole cutting on the front for meshing as well.

Here are a couple of videos on making bin cages. You will need a few tools and bits and pieces but you can buy them quite cheap or your Dad might have some.

This video hasn't meshed the lid and doesn't have enough ventilation but it gives some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBh8LssNtC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG6uoe2qaJA

I think you could manage without a drill - some people have heated up a skewer or something similar to make the holes for the bolts.

This one looks good, although it's not finished as there's no mesh on top

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+make+a+hamster+bin+cag e

This looks like a good one with plenty of ventilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssE5r1oj348

Seems to me, with the knife heating and sharp stanley knife, you'll need some help with it :)

Actually having seen those videos and the work and tools and bits and pieces involved, it makes me think buying an Alaska cage for £37.90 sounds like a good option!

I know your Mum has said no and the idea was to make something so she'd be impressed, but if you show her the Alaska cage on the web page and the reviews etc (and the low price!) and say you were going to make a bin cage but think this is a better option - she might say yes.

Robodwarfs18
06-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Thanks so much for all the links and pictures! If my dad doesn't have the tools for cutting plastic might just bend the mesh over the top but ill try and find a knife and I'll heat it up. Does it have to be a Stanley knife or can it be a really sharp kitchen knife?? That may be all I have unfortunately. I'll see what my dad can do. And Serendipity7000, I can't afford two Alaska cages because I have two robos and a Syrian and by the way I looked in my local store for bin cage supplies, all together it would cost about £30 and to me thats good (sorry if I sound rude), thanks though :) Thanks again you guys!

Fluffagrams
06-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks so much for all the links and pictures! If my dad doesn't have the tools for cutting plastic might just bend the mesh over the top but ill try and find a knife and I'll heat it up.

May's bin cage has a top made out of mesh that has just been folded over because I didn't have time to go and get any wood to make anything more substantial.

I've not got any photos but I'll post something when I get home tomorrow and I got her back.

Scarlett Empress
06-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Does it have to be a Stanley knife or can it be a really sharp kitchen knife?? That may be all I have unfortunately.

We've used a small kitchen knife, like a vegetable paring knife, heated up to cut plastic - easier to heat the blade actually than heating a Stanley knife. Might be an idea to buy an inexpensive knife for the project, they can end up a bit blackened and gunky with melted plastic! We've found they don't need to be especially sharp, so no need to pay a lot of money for one.

Robodwarfs18
06-20-2015, 01:06 AM
As mentioned in my pass threads, today I'm making two bin cages and I was wondering where I could go to buy the bin in stores in the UK, preferably Scotland for a decent price. I know where to get the mesh and tools etc but I'm going on a hunt for the actual bin so if anyone can give me any suggestions, reccommendations, links or pictures that would be amazing! Please get back to me as soon as possible as I'm leaving soon to go look. Thanks a lot! :)

Pebbles82
06-20-2015, 01:08 AM
Hi. A lot of people get Samla bins from Ikea - I'll post the link

Pebbles82
06-20-2015, 01:10 AM
This one is just under 80cm x 56 cm and 43cm high. It's £10 and the lid for it is £3 (scroll further down the page for the lid). Do you have an Ikea nearby?

SAMLA Box - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90102971/)

LawaRawr
06-20-2015, 01:11 AM
I got my bins from wilkinsons for my dwarf hamster I used 2 70x40cm bins and connected them both together so he gets double the space. I know Ikea do some great size bins too I believe its called the Samla storage bin which is £10 and measures 78x56x43 cm which is a good size bin for both dwarf and Syrian hamsters.

Pebbles82
06-20-2015, 01:12 AM
This one is just under 80cm x 56 cm and 43cm high. It's £10 and the lid for it is £3 (scroll further down the page for the lid). Do you have an Ikea nearby?

Robodwarfs18
06-20-2015, 01:12 AM

Thank you for the link and yes there is an ikea nearby :)

Pebbles82
06-20-2015, 01:22 AM
Most of the others I've found are online shops and some are as expensive as a cage in the bigger size, so the Ikea one sounds like a good bet. B&Q sell Really Useful storage box range, but I think the biggest is 84 litre which is only about 70cm long (and that's the widest part at the top so not quite big enough really). You want to be looking for 100 litre plus really, if the size is in litres, or 80 cm length minimum as the measurement is the widest measurement at the top, and not the base.

Pebbles82
06-20-2015, 01:23 AM
I reckon a Samla bin from Ikea would be the cheapest option then - quite a few people use them. There might be one a bit bigger in store, than the link I posted but that one should be ok if there isn't a bigger one.

Robodwarfs18
06-20-2015, 03:12 AM
Guys I've bought the nuts and bolts for the bin cage and I'm off to ikea to get the Samla cage and I can't find mesh ANYWHERE!!! I looked in my local B&Q (hardware store) and they only had mesh that even a Syrian could fit through plus it was £30. I can't think of where else I could get mesh will small enough holes that dwarfs can't squeeze through. PLEASE help!! It's super urgent!! Get back to me ASAP! Thanks!!

Heather
06-20-2015, 03:25 AM
I got mine in wilkinsons, it was quite cheap too!

http://www.wilko.com/screening+trellis/wilko-welded-gauge-mesh-60cmx150cm/invt/0182229

I think that was it!

leedsgurl
06-20-2015, 05:00 AM
I got mine from B&Q and it was just a sheet of it, here's the link:

Wire Mesh (W)900mm (L)600mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q (http://www.diy.com/departments/wire-mesh-w900mm-l600mm/257568_BQ.prd)

Could you go to another larger B&Q store maybe?

Purdy Bear
06-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Hobby Craft may do it, I know they do the plastic mesh sheets because people use it for tapestry. It's probably chewable by Hammies though.

Robodwarfs18
06-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Hi so I'll try to make this quick but I'm making a bin cage right now and I have the 79x39cm bin from Wilkonsons. I just cut out a big part at the front for ventilation but I can't cut through the lid as its too thick. There's an oval shape thing on top of the lid that's thin plastic which I can cut through but my dad said he could maybe just do that and drill holes on top of the lid too. Do I need more ventilation on the sides??

Also, it was really hard cutting the ventilation on the front, took 5 minutes with a heated Stanley knife and yes we re-heated it as we went along and now my dad's lighter and knife is ruined. Are there any other tools we could use or does anyone have tips??

Thanks, please get back to me ASAP cause I need to know what I'm cutting.

Robodwarfs18
06-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Leedsgurl, Are the holes in it small enough for dwarfs?? Also I would love to see pictures to give me an idea if you don't mind :) Thanks!!

leedsgurl
06-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Sure, here it is on a ZooZone :-)

Jeir
06-20-2015, 07:51 AM
You can also get some from the garden section (i.e. outside) of Homebase. Is where I got mine for my dwarfs. =) Quite a big sheet, too.

Vectis Hamstery
06-20-2015, 08:15 AM
For my bin cages I put a mesh panel on two sides (usually one short side and one long side). I use a soldering iron but my friends use dremels.

Pebbles82
06-20-2015, 08:19 AM
I think someone used a candle to heat the knife on one of those videos I posted the other day, and someone else use the gas flame from the cooker. Sorry to hear the stanley knife is ruined - must have been a tough bin!

So maybe you could have ventilation panels at the front, as you have done and one at the side and then put lots of holes in the top. I think it's probably better to have one top and front to get airflow - maybe you could just cut out that centre thinner bit? Is it fairly big?

Robodwarfs18
06-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Prepare for a kinda sad thread of me sobbing and I'll probably just end up ranting on. Sorry about this if this isn't exactly what I usually post about but I just don't know what to do and I need some advice.

So I got my bin cages today for my two robos and Syrian. They're from Wilko and they're 79x39cm and I took them home today and realised they aren't that much bigger than my current cages. I know my two cages are too small, that's why I got the bins cause my current ones are like 55 cm x 38 cm. I know I'm also helping my hamsters I guess by having these bigger cages for them but I just feel like I've kinda wasted the money and time. I got my dad to drive around to 7 different stores to find one then I got my uncle to professionally cut the sides for ventilation and I guess if I didn't use the cages then they wouldn't be happy with me. I just feel really bad and I don't know why. I expected to fit more toys and things in it but I can't fit much more than I already have. Plus I don't even know if my hamsters will like them like if they don't then that is literally a waste of everything, plus my mum is selling my other cages online once I put them in the bin cages. I just don't know what to do. All the toys are fairly big and I want to fit as many in as I can but I don't want it to have no space for my hamsters to move, I just have so many toys my hamsters don't use and I'm like burning up my cash. Anyone have any advice or tips or anything. Also if anyone has any pictures of small cages with a good selection of toys and things that'd be good.

Thanks, and sorry again for being a bit of a downer :(

racinghamster
06-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Listen Robodwarfs, you do what you feel is best for your hamsters and if that means keeping them where they are until you are sure you want to use the Bin cages, then don`t feel rushed. Your mum should also understand that switching a hamster cage can cause them stress and it has to be done slowly and with thought.

Given the Bins are not that much bigger in size, you probably have wasted your time and money, but hey, who hasn`t!

If the Bins have been meshed, are you happy with them? Are they only meshed on the lid or also at the front? Are they similar to what your hamsters are in at the moment or totally different? x

Fluffagrams
06-20-2015, 10:41 AM
As promised here are the views of May's bin cage (she's a VERY untidy girl)...

Top Down View:
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag44/theiconicmeatloaf/IMG_1268_zpsub93ziko.jpg

Corner View:
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag44/theiconicmeatloaf/IMG_1269_zpsa6iuuebo.jpg

I basically cut the mesh with wire cutters, folded it over at the corners and cable tied the end together before covering it with some tape.

Robodwarfs18
06-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Listen Robodwarfs, you do what you feel is best for your hamsters and if that means keeping them where they are until you are sure you want to use the Bin cages, then don`t feel rushed. Your mum should also understand that switching a hamster cage can cause them stress and it has to be done slowly and with thought.

Given the Bins are not that much bigger in size, you probably have wasted your time and money, but hey, who hasn`t!

If the Bins have been meshed, are you happy with them? Are they only meshed on the lid or also at the front? Are they similar to what your hamsters are in at the moment or totally different? x

Thanks. I may sound like a bad owner but I can't afford to waste my money on bin cages especially when you've been in 7 different shops, looked for 5 hours and worked so hard making it. I just feel bad because my dad is happy that I'm happy with the bin cages but in reality, I'm not and it sucks to pretend. He would be heartbroken if I admitted it because he tried his best to get the perfect thing. I wish I got the IKEA Detolf :(

Fluffagrams
06-20-2015, 10:47 AM
I got mine in wilkinsons, it was quite cheap too!

Wilko Welded Gauge Mesh 60cmx150cm at wilko.com (http://www.wilko.com/screening+trellis/wilko-welded-gauge-mesh-60cmx150cm/invt/0182229)

I think that was it!

That's the stuff I've got for May's bin cage and whilst the mesh is a 13mm gauge and May is a Chinese Hamster, she's not really a bar chewer and hasn't yet managed to reach it to even stand a chance of escaping. She's too bigg for the holes anyway.

You could also have a look in Wickes: Wickes 6mm Galvanised Mesh Panel 600mmx900mm | Wickes.co.uk (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-6mm-Galvanised-Mesh-Panel-600mmx900mm/p/187720)

Pebbles82
06-20-2015, 12:13 PM
You've done really well to get those bin cages made, and all in one day! The trouble is the dimensions are often the widest part at the top and the base can be quite a bit smaller. I'm sure the height of them will mean it is easier to fit a wheel in. I would go ahead with your plan to move them to the bin cages and sell the old ones, then at some point you can upgrade them to a bigger bin cage maybe (it'll be easier second time around). I'm also sure you'll be able to put much more depth of substrate in the bins than you could in the old cages - and that will be a big bonus for your hams - and the higher up the substrate comes, the more floor area you will have! Because the bins tend to slope down towards the bottom and be wider at the top. If the mesh at one side prevents deep substrate you can slope it up towards the back and have it deeper at the back and one side. That's one of the best enrichment toys you can give a hamster :) Then a couple of cardboard tubes, house and wheel and take it from there.

You must be exhausted with it all, but just remember the plot! Making the bin cages was to impress your Mum that you could do something about it - which you have and maybe if and when you want to upgrade them to a detolf it will go down better! :)

Robodwarfs18
06-20-2015, 12:27 PM
You've done really well to get those bin cages made, and all in one day! The trouble is the dimensions are often the widest part at the top and the base can be quite a bit smaller. I'm sure the height of them will mean it is easier to fit a wheel in. I would go ahead with your plan to move them to the bin cages and sell the old ones, then at some point you can upgrade them to a bigger bin cage maybe (it'll be easier second time around). I'm also sure you'll be able to put much more depth of substrate in the bins than you could in the old cages - and that will be a big bonus for your hams - and the higher up the substrate comes, the more floor area you will have! Because the bins tend to slope down towards the bottom and be wider at the top. If the mesh at one side prevents deep substrate you can slope it up towards the back and have it deeper at the back and one side. That's one of the best enrichment toys you can give a hamster :) Then a couple of cardboard tubes, house and wheel and take it from there.

You must be exhausted with it all, but just remember the plot! Making the bin cages was to impress your Mum that you could do something about it - which you have and maybe if and when you want to upgrade them to a detolf it will go down better! :)

Thank you so much. That has really helped me. I've accepted to keep my bin cages considering the amount of work I put into them. I guess I over exaggerated earlier because I was in a sad/bad mood, the cages I already have are just about half the size of the bin cages. Thanks so much for the help again and next year when I move into a bigger room, I'll buy a detolf. The reason I didn't get a detolf was the size of my room since its teeny. But yeah everything was very helpful :)

leedsgurl
06-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Hope everything has gone ok with your bin cages!

Just to let you know that I've merged your threads on bin cages as there were quite a few, but it's best if it's all on one thread so it's easier for everyone to offer their advise :)

Scarlett Empress
06-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Glad to hear you are feeling happier with the bin cages now - it must have been frustrating to get them done and then feel disappointed after all that chasing around to get the stuff and then the hard work if making them.

What does your Mum think of them?

I hope you will show us pics, I would love to see!

Pebbles82
06-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Yep! Looking forward to seeing photos. I'm guessing you already know this, but when you move your hammies, move all their bedding/substrate with them so it smells familiar and helps them settle in - even if it's a bit whiffy! Just mix it all up a bit - it'll help prevent them getting stressed at the change - and try and put house/toys back in same position as before. It can take a couple of weeks for them to get used to a new cage so best not to change anything for a couple of weeks - maybe a little handful of spot clean if necessary. You've done a great job - I'm impressed how quickly you got them made - it would have taken me weeks lol!

Lexieshamster
06-20-2015, 04:27 PM
I used the Wilko's bin. Here's mine:

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd508/katemoore75/Mobile%20Uploads/Nevie-Noo/0DD34E3D-0740-4432-BF97-BF39B66D5394.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/katemoore75/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Nevie-Noo/0DD34E3D-0740-4432-BF97-BF39B66D5394.jpg.html)

I used two because my Hamsters a Syrian and I felt he needed the extra space being a bigger hamster. Not sure how well you can see from the picture but ventilation wise the bottom bin has ventilation / mesh on the front and one side. The top one just has ventilation / mesh on the lid. I cut along the indents of the bin design.

I think this is enough ventilation so I wouldn't bother cutting the lid if I were you (unless you want to be able to hang things from the lid).

As for cutting tools I tried using a hot Stanley knife but found this would have taken forever! It took me about half an hour to do just a two inches. I instead used the cutting blade of a power tool my BF had bought me. You can also use s jigsaw (I just bought a second hand one from a car boot sale for £3 but I'm told you can buy them from Argos relatively cheaply).

Lexieshamster
06-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Oops sorry I missed that there were 2 more pages to this thread. So my post was meant for back when you were struggling with cutting the lid.

I think you're right to use the bins. You've put a lot of time and effort into it and as they are bigger than you're current cages I'm sure your hammys will love them. My Hammy was in an aquarium before which had roughly the same floor space as he has now but he's much more content and cosy in the bin cage.

Robodwarfs18
06-22-2015, 07:57 AM
So my dad bought the mesh from B&Q for the bin cages and the holes are rectangular and they're about the size of half my thumb. Since I have two dwarfs who might fit through it, should I overlap the mesh to make it into smaller squares?? Also do I have to do that with my Syrian or is he okay?? Thanks

WinnieTheHam
06-22-2015, 08:07 AM
Measure them with a ruler if you can, so we can know the exact dimensions. :)

Robodwarfs18
06-22-2015, 08:13 AM
They are about 3cm long and 2cm tall

Jeir
06-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Yeah, definitely too big - if a hamster's head can fit through a gap, then the rest of their body can as well. The mesh I got from Homebase has squares that are about 6x6mm. You may need to overlap the mesh a few times to get the holes small enough (1x1cm or smaller).

Robodwarfs18
06-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Halted its about 1cm x 1cm. My Syrian has a massive head haha and I don't think he could fit through it.

Pebbles82
06-22-2015, 10:13 AM
1cm mesh is ok for a Syrian. I would get 6mm mouse mesh for a dwarf hamster.

Robodwarfs18
06-22-2015, 11:35 AM
I've already meshed the cages. Anyways my robos aren't ones for chewing or escaping.