PDA

View Full Version : Which one should I choose?

RememberWhen
06-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Okay, first off, I apologize, because I feel like I keep making new threads...

But here's my question, and I'd like your opinions! :D I am getting my new Syrian hamster in a few days, and I get to choose from a litter of 6. Three female calicos, or 3 male blacks. I am leaning towards one of the females, and I think I am leaning towards one in particular, BUT I know how indecisive I can be, so I thought, why not get others opinions for fun...lol.

(I'll probably/hopefully be making my FINAL decision in person, not via pics alone, because ultimately it will be personality that will be my deciding factor).

So all that being said, here are the three girls - tell me which one gets your vote! :o

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Lyn_845MO/BabyCalico1.jpg.png (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Lyn_845MO/media/BabyCalico1.jpg.png.html)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Lyn_845MO/BabyCalico2.jpg.png (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Lyn_845MO/media/BabyCalico2.jpg.png.html)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Lyn_845MO/BabyCalico3.jpg.png (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Lyn_845MO/media/BabyCalico3.jpg.png.html)

Piebald
06-16-2015, 11:24 PM
I like the first one best :)
But if it were me I'd probably go for a black boy.
Why are they being handled with gloves? Are they not hand tamed?

peasypea
06-16-2015, 11:50 PM
I like the first one :) I love the colouring

RememberWhen
06-16-2015, 11:52 PM
So far, just based on these pictures, I like the first one best as well! The owner told me that the mama hamster is being slightly protective of the babies yet, so I assume that is the reason for the gloves, to mitigate smell.

BluerayDarkes
06-17-2015, 12:00 AM
The first one looks a bit like my Yummy

Piebald
06-17-2015, 01:12 AM
So far, just based on these pictures, I like the first one best as well! The owner told me that the mama hamster is being slightly protective of the babies yet, so I assume that is the reason for the gloves, to mitigate smell.

Ah that makes sense. Is that Mama tort in the background? She's gorgeous. I see a wee fella too. Xx

WinnieTheHam
06-17-2015, 01:18 AM
I'd go for the second or third, They look like Winston and Jonah! very cute :D

Shannonmcn
06-17-2015, 01:39 AM
All three are beautiful so you're coming home with a stunner either way! I think you'll know which one is for you when you meet them and your favourite colouring will fly out the window :D

Piebald
06-17-2015, 11:11 AM
All three are beautiful so you're coming home with a stunner either way! I think you'll know which one is for you when you meet them and your favourite colouring will fly out the window :D
That's a good point. You need to meet them to really decide. :)

RememberWhen
06-17-2015, 11:23 AM
The first one looks a bit like my Yummy

You're right, and I love Yummy. :)

I'd go for the second or third, They look like Winston and Jonah! very cute :D

LOL, Winston and Jonah are very cute too!

Hekomi
06-17-2015, 12:37 PM
They look kinda young to be going home in a few days...? How old are they?

And I totally do get a protective mum, but at the time they go home they shouldn't be with mum and should be 6wks. Maybe 5wks. But even with my protective mum, I was able to handle the babies safely and without gloves. I would be worried they wouldn't be particularly tame or handled by these. I do have one pup from my current litter who is a bit standoffish but even he will come onto my hand when he feels like it.

If you're looking for a calico (the proper term is tortoiseshell and white but calico works I guess) I would go for number two. She is obviously a black tort band. Number one is silver grey and the white could be a band or a patch but I don't think she's a tort. Number three looks like a tort by the patch on the right side. But you won't see it quite as well on a golden.

Anyways that's my 2cents too. I would ask if possible to handle them though many breeders including myself don't allow people in home as risk of diseases spreading is increased.

Do ensure they are being rehomed at a proper age and ask more about the gloves.

Hekomi
06-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Also why aw they outside? O_o' sorry for all the skeptical questions I've dealt with my share of unsavoury breeders and I'm a little bit wary in general!

katmick
06-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I think that all three are beautiful! :) To me, I would need to meet them in person to know which one I fall for...I kind of believe that hammies choose us rather than other way around.. ;)

I know.. I am a bit weird...

Anyway, I agree with Hekomi who has plenty of experience with breeding,be careful and ask questions! Torties can especially have genetic problems, so ensure that mum is a healthy one.

Good luck deciding ! :) x

RememberWhen
06-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Hekomi, no worries, I agree with you on all points! This is not an actual breeder however, just someone who happened to have a litter of hamsters and is now needing to rehome them. I have questioned them on some things already, and I will have plenty more questions when I go to see the babies in person, but I don't have all the answers for you guys yet (I have already felt like I was pestering them with the questions I've had so far, LOL!). So the real deal will be when I go to visit the babies, which they have kindly agreed to. :D

Ultimately, I was just wanting to give a home to a hamster already needing one, rather than buying from a pet store. BUT I also specifically wanted a baby hamster to start with this time around , and this litter on Craigslist happened to appear at the right time. And I honestly feel like this was a "right thing at the right time" kind of situation.

If this WERE a breeder however, believe me I would be a LOT choosier in this situation and asking all the question you asked and then some. I do not know for sure why they are outside, but I think it was just for lighting for the photos...

Age, I am trying to pin down exactly...when I said a "few" days I was using that term kind of loosely.

Oh and P.S. I honestly caught myself even as I was typing the word "calico" and meant to go back and edit it but forgot by the time I was finished with the rest of my post. Since then I have thought about it probably like 10 times and yet STILL forgot to do it till you called me out on it, LOL! But I don't think I can edit it now, unfortunately. And to clarify, I was not necessarily wanting or looking for a tort, I was just told that the girls were all torts. So I was surprised when I saw the pics, because the babies were not what I was expecting to see, and I thought the same as Hekomi regarding their coloring. But again, I figured I'd wait to find out more when I see them in person. Pics can be deceiving sometimes. :D

Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback and insight from everyone! In the end, I know I will go with my gut when I get to see them in person. This was more than anything just a way of helping the wait go by. Unlike most or all of you, I am hamster-less at the moment. ;)

Hekomi
06-18-2015, 04:43 AM
I understand. ^_^ I think I can get all those things if this was an oops! (And don't worry about the whole calico thing I hear it so often it doesn't phase me much but I figured I'd mention it as I'm all about proper terms!)

Choose whichever captures your heart. Torts are totally spunky, so do keep that in mind! Not all are (my keeper girl from my litter right now crawls onto my hand and falls asleep) but many tend to be full of pep!

RememberWhen
06-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks! I like proper terms also, which is why it bugged me that I had used the word calico myself, lol. And although I hadn't started out looking for a tort, I look forward to a spunky girl if that is what I end up with. :) We'll see, I think I'm going to visit them this weekend.

RememberWhen
06-18-2015, 07:52 PM
I think that all three are beautiful! :) To me, I would need to meet them in person to know which one I fall for...I kind of believe that hammies choose us rather than other way around.. ;)

I know.. I am a bit weird...

Good luck deciding ! :) x

I meant to reply sooner, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU and also that no, you are not weird! I like to choose the same way (or I guess I should say be chosen...lol) ;)