PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Hamsters

montyhamster
06-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone, I have one syrian at the moment and I am thinking on adopting a dwarf hamster soon. I have a few questions about them since I have only really had a robo dwarf when I was younger and I can't really remember much.

What breed is the friendliest/easiest to keep?
For each breed, is it better to keep them on their own or in pairs or groups?
Any cages you recommend for dwarfs?
Any information about all dwarfs or experiences you've had would help a lot.

Chezzu
06-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Hello!

I've just adopted two robo's recently and they're SO cute so I felt the need to answer your question!

The friendliest dwarf hamsters I'd say are Russian dwarves, either Winter White dwarf hamsters and Campbell’s dwarf hamsters - there's also hybrids of the two. They are usually very friendly and easier to tame than Roborovski dwarves! However you have to be careful with any sort of russian dwarf because they are prone to diabetes so you need to watch what treats you feed them, no honey, no fruit! - due to this I wouldn't say they're easier, but Roborovski dwarves are a lot harder to tame and it's common for these little hamsters not to enjoy being picked up or held, unlike little russian dwarves!

Pairs or groups are usually fine, but never get an odd number (especially a trio!) - I'd recommend a pair however, because although usually squabbles are common there's always the chance they will fight dangerously and may need to be separated - obviously it's easier to separate two hamsters than four! You must ensure you have the space and save up for a back up cage just incase they do need to be separated!

I'd personally recommend a glass or "tank" cage as you can watch your little hammies run around and play a lot better in those, but plastic cages and cages with 1/2 inch or smaller bar spacing are also suitable - do not try and put your dwarf hamsters in a cage with bigger bar spacing, I made that mistake the first time I had dwarves and I had an escaped hamster on the first night (luckily they were fine!)

I hope I helped answer your questions! ♥

cypher
06-14-2015, 11:14 PM
I think russians (they will be hybrids if you're getting them from a pet shop) are probably the easiest to keep & tame if you're new to dwarf hams, Chinese are really lovely too & can be very friendly little things but tend to be more timid & take a lot more patience with taming. Robos can sometimes be hand tamed but often prefer to be left in the cage with some interaction but less than the other dwarfs so tend to be more of a pet to watch rather than handle. Russians seem to love out of cage time generally & I always use a playpen for mine so they can have a run around & enjoy exploring new things.
If you go for a russian or chinese you do need to be aware that they have the potential to develop diabetes so care needs to be taken with their diet.
They really need as much space in the cage as a syrian, not much open space so lots of hideouts & toys but plenty of room to zoom around as they are very active busy little things.
So most cages suitable for a syrian are good for dwarfs too but if you get a barred cage you need to be sure the spacing is no more than 1cm.
Russians & robos can be kept in pairs, not chinese though, they must be same sex siblings if you want to try keeping a pair but they do tend to fall out as they get older & you have to be prepared with a second cage in case they fight & need to be separated, keeping a pair requires a set up with no levels & two of everything to avoid bullying. If you're new to dwarfs keeping just one to begin with would probably be best as they will all live quite happily alone.
Hope that helps.

Fluffagrams
06-15-2015, 01:04 AM
I have had Chinese Hamsters for just over three and a half years and they have made fantastic pets however I wouldn't recommend keeping them in pairs despite what pet shops might tell you!

They can be shy to start with but I've had one tamed within a week and another taking three months so they vary a great deal in what they'll be happy with. They're very intelligent little creatures and I'd managed to train Meat to respond to his name and he'd also learnt to beg for attention and treats which was always very cute.

The only experience I have had with Russians is when I have been hamster-sitting my sister's Russian Hybrid. As beautiful as she is, she really was quite vicious when my sister first got her and although she has come on a great deal, she's not really a hamster for cuddles. She is a real lively girl and she loves to run on her wheel and come out to explore her playpen.

Every hamster's personality is going to be different and I've heard plenty of stories from owners of Russians who have been easier to hold than my sister's hamster. I think there's a good chance that some of Sooty's behaviour stems from her life before we got her so please don't let that put you off.

As for caging, I'd personally go for a plastic cage such as the Zoozone 1 (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=456&pf_id=59759&utm_source=ShoppingFeed&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CIGuxtackcYCFWHkwgodmUsASQ) (the lid will need meshing) as their smaller size can make escape easier in barred cages however my Chinese Hamsters have lived in bin cages (cost me less than £10 to make each one) and seem very happy in those.

cypher
06-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Russian hams do seem to have a bit of a reputation for being nippy or aggressive, I've had four now & only one has been a biter but she's tamed fine now, my three boys have been very laid back compared to her so it may have something to do with gender although as Fluff says each ham has it's own character!
I've kept all my dwarfs in barred cages without even any attempts at escapes, certainly no successful ones (who knows what they get up to when we sleep lol!) but spacing is important.

Fluffagrams
06-15-2015, 11:48 AM
I've kept all my dwarfs in barred cages without even any attempts at escapes, certainly no successful ones (who knows what they get up to when we sleep lol!) but spacing is important.

I think the recommended bar spacing is something like 7-8mm isn't it?

cypher
06-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Yes it is but most are fine up to a max of 1cm.