PDA

View Full Version : Would I be best just getting one?

hamsterquest
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi!

I am considering getting dwaf hamsters, having only ever had syrians before. I love the idea of having a pair of Campbells, so have been doing some reseach into it! Having read quite a lot of posts I know that if they started fighting I would hav to split them up. I am fine with doing this, but I have limited space for two cages and it would be difficult transporting two cages to holiday homes!

So now I am thinking that getting a pair might not be such a good idea especially as I haven't kept a pair before (will also probably get them from p@h and don't know how I would cope if the sexing is wrong!). Can Campbells live on their own and do they do ok without company? I had my heart set on a pair but want to do what will be best for the hamsters in the long run so a more knowledgable opinion is appreciated!

Thank you in advance :D

Bunsey
03-02-2009, 04:57 AM
they cope fine on their own really. I think they prefer company, but in your situation i might think it's better to get only one. If you're buying from pets at home you have no garentee that they are the same sex, same litter or even same species.

souffle
03-02-2009, 06:26 AM
I think you might be better with one too for all the reasons you have given about your personal situation. If you were able to find a breeder nearbye who could give you properly sexed, pure bred animals who are litter brothers or sisters they might have a better chance of staying happily together. Whereabouts in the country are you and we might be able to point you at a breeder?

hamsterquest
03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Hiya

I would be looking at around birmingham or Nottingham/mansfield way. I would be happy to just have the one I think, if it is ok to do so!

jusdging by the pictures on here I am completley sold on this breed. Are they as good as they look?! :x

souffle
03-03-2009, 03:18 AM
Andrew Bryan, Duncton Hamstery is in Birmingham and should be able to help you out. Here is alink to his website and you can contavt him through this
http://www.geocities.com/dunctonhams/index1.html