PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the family Little Bear

Oatmeal_Cupcake
06-07-2015, 09:33 PM
So...

I actually got another hamster about a week ago. He's a male that was a result of kids putting a male and female together without their parents knowing. Surprise! He was the last one looking for a home. He has been handled since he was young so there isn't much of a taming process. The child who answered the door opened the door before I could knock and handed me the hamster. The mom invited me in and I asked them all sorts of questions. I met the parents and two of his litter mates that they decided to keep.

I've never had a non-petstore hamster. I've never had a male so I figured that I would see what it was like.

So far I've got to admit that I find myself missing the taming period. It's so crazy because I've hit some lows with Kit Kat and Aria where I thought I wasn't ever going to tame them and felt like giving up. At the end of the day they were tamed and I developed deep bonds with them because of the taming period. I know that with time I will also develop a bond with this little guy but it's just different to be handed trust verses earning it. I like the feeling of accomplishment and being rewarded with friendship after so many weeks or months of trying.

Don't get me wrong, he's a cute trusting hamster... I'm just surprised! Ha ha.

One of the surprises I encountered was learning about quarantine. Maybe I've been oblivious to this and it's something that others are familiar with. However, I kinda felt a wee bit lost when I learned that I needed to do a quarantine. Then other questions arose like being very sanitary while holding the new hamster and your current hamster. Being careful with your clothing and simply not cross contaminating. I always thought that you saw a hamster, brought it home and there you go. I think it's because I often saw stories of people already having a hamster and falling in love at the pet store and just bringing it home.

I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea for someone to write a guide on introducing a new hamster into your home when you already have another hamster. Maybe a bit more information on the dos and don'ts of owning more than one hamster.

Anyways, enough about that. He really seems healthy. He still has a week more to go as far as quarantine goes. He loves being in his cage and outside of his cage but he won't go wild and crazy if he's not in his cage.

I felt really guilty after I got him. I mean, I wanted him but I felt like I was cheating on Aria. I was so worried about neglecting her and just feeling bad for liking another hamster. Aria is very reclusive and she honestly feels happy spending time in her cage. I do take her out but it doesn't take much time for her to freak out. So this left me in a position where I wanted more interaction with a hamster. So I got this little guy. So far I haven't neglected Aria and I have time for both of them. I'm a real night owl. If I'm not watching a show then I'm playing video games. So I can spare time from video games and tv shows. I've got my own pet shop at home so aspen, food, toys are in surplus. No need to worry about additional costs.

So I now feel like I made a good choice and that I've got to lovely hamsters to love. But gosh... how I WISH that we could keep Syrians in pairs or groups.

Anyways, here he is! He is 9 weeks old.

http://i.imgur.com/aeumTnk.jpg?1

Oatmeal_Cupcake
06-07-2015, 09:36 PM
OH! And these were his siblings

http://i.imgur.com/KyPICjM.jpg (http://imgur.com/KyPICjM)

Piebald
06-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Oh he is lovely! Congratulations! I would guess (correct me if I'm wrong) that he is less likely to carry disease than a pet store hamster or even a breeder hamster being an oops in a one hamster family household. I'm sure you will bond with him. Oh and we were on to you already when you were asking about connecting bin cages. . . .:D x

cypher
06-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Awww he's gorgeous congrats!
Every new ham is a bit of a learning curve! I agree with Piebald that he's probably less likely to carry disease but generally bringing any new ham home when you have others it's just common sense procedures to begin with just to be safe really.
Bonding with every ham is a new experience too as they are all so different, just take your time getting to know him, it's about character as much as actual taming I think!

Oatmeal_Cupcake
06-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Oh he is lovely! Congratulations! I would guess (correct me if I'm wrong) that he is less likely to carry disease than a pet store hamster or even a breeder hamster being an oops in a one hamster family household. I'm sure you will bond with him. Oh and we were on to you already when you were asking about connecting bin cages. . . .:D x

Really? That's pretty interesting... I really don't know if a household hammy is less likely to carry diseases than from a breeder or pet shop.

Ha ha! That's pretty funny that you guys were on to me, hee hee. I actually wanted to wait till the whole quarantine period was over just to be safe. However he's so cute and seems healthy enough that I couldn't wait! That and I hadn't thought of a name for him yet.

Awww he's gorgeous congrats!
Every new ham is a bit of a learning curve! I agree with Piebald that he's probably less likely to carry disease but generally bringing any new ham home when you have others it's just common sense procedures to begin with just to be safe really.
Bonding with every ham is a new experience too as they are all so different, just take your time getting to know him, it's about character as much as actual taming I think!

Thank you! I'm sure all grow to love him. He does have a character and the cutest face ever so it won't be that hard! :)

DrKMcK
06-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Oh! Isn't he beautiful! He's a Sable and I adore them. :-) Very young hammies introduced to a new home are at risk for wet tail from stress. So, you still want to watch them separate from hams you already have at home. The chances for this little one having problems is pretty small, but, better safe than sorry.
It seems that these two will have different needs, so I wouldn't worry about Aria. You'll settle into a routine with them that will have all of you happy. :-D

Shannonmcn
06-08-2015, 09:16 AM
He's beautiful Oatmeal_Cupcake! Congrats! :)

Snowz
06-08-2015, 10:10 AM
OMG so cute, congratulations.

Oatmeal_Cupcake
06-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Oh! Isn't he beautiful! He's a Sable and I adore them. :-) Very young hammies introduced to a new home are at risk for wet tail from stress. So, you still want to watch them separate from hams you already have at home. The chances for this little one having problems is pretty small, but, better safe than sorry.
It seems that these two will have different needs, so I wouldn't worry about Aria. You'll settle into a routine with them that will have all of you happy. :-D

He's I've been sure to give him his time and space. He seemed to adjust very quickly and wanted to come out soon after his settling in period. Yep! They sure do have different needs. Little Bear seems to want to come out and play but is just as happy playing in his bin cage. He does take a while to wake up and get going, ha ha.

He's beautiful Oatmeal_Cupcake! Congrats! :)
OMG so cute, congratulations.

Thank you to the both of you! :D

Oatmeal_Cupcake
06-08-2015, 05:14 PM
He's so hard to photograph!

http://i.imgur.com/LNLimRj.jpg?2
http://i.imgur.com/wVxqNAW.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/T2GdHUF.jpg?2

Miss kiwi
06-08-2015, 08:04 PM
The little guy is adorable! Congrats!

Piebald
06-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Those are great photos! He is quite the guy! :)

cypher
06-09-2015, 04:38 AM
lol! love the perch shot! That little face is just sooooo adorable, quite a poser you have there :)

Oatmeal_Cupcake
06-09-2015, 09:54 PM
The little guy is adorable! Congrats!

Those are great photos! He is quite the guy! :)

Thank you both! :D

lol! love the perch shot! That little face is just sooooo adorable, quite a poser you have there :)

Thank you! He is actually REALLY hard to photograph! lol. He's always on the move. I usually take like 20 pictures and only one might be good.