PDA

View Full Version : So worried about my Syrian

IndigoElectron
02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
I've had her for 3 weeks now, she was 7 weeks when I got her from the pet shop.

I'm having a lot of trouble taming her - she just doesn't seem interested in getting to know me. I've been taking things slowly, talking to her, giving her treats, putting my hand in the cage etc. She's taken treats from my hand but other than that she hasn't shown much interest.

Earlier this week I felt it was time to take her out the cage, so she went in her ball for the first time and seemed to like it. I only left her in there for about 10 mins, did the same yesterday, but today I left her in there for about 25 mins. When I put her back in she starting frantically chewing her bars and running round the cage. I could tell she wanted to come out again so I put her back in the ball for another 20 mins. I also tried putting her in a big cardboard box so that I could put my hands in and try to start taming her. She wasn't interested and kept trying to get out of the box.

Anyway, she's back in her cage now and has been bar chewing for almost half an hour and I'm so worried she will hurt herself. She seems desperate to get out, she's chewing and chewing and trying to stick her nose through the door of the cage, but I need to go to bed and can't let her out again. She stopped for a moment when I gave her a treat, but now she's at it again. I don't know what to do and feel like I'll never tame her, and she hates me :( She has a huge cage (IMAC with 2 extensions) and plenty of toys (wheel, seesaw, climning bridge) so she should be kept entertained, but she just wants to get out of the cage.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it. I've read the taming tips on here but they involve taking the top of the cage off and getting the hamster onto your lap, and I'm too scared to do that as I think she'll run away.

Zeppelin
02-27-2009, 01:52 AM
They tend to be more frantic after being in a ball. I imagine it's like running around a huge field and then suddenly being put back in your house and you've got all this excitement and energy still so you just have to use it up in a smaller space. So I wouldn't worry about it.
I completely understand you not wanting to get her out in case she runs off - have you got a bath? Cos you could take the whole cage in the bath and let her out there - she'll climb all over you, it's great fun. Don't worry that you think she's trying to escape - she's just naturally energetic and inqusitive - good healthy hamster!
You could try being a bit more braver with holding her, you may be scared of being bitten but a short blow or tap on the nose soon puts an end to that. The sooner you handle her the better for your relationship and she certainly doesn't hate you - she's just a troublesome kid at the moment!
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
XXX

souffle
02-27-2009, 03:52 AM
I agree with Zeppelin. You need more handling time and less ball running.
My personal thoughts on balls are that they can be a bit scarey for hamsters. They can get a bit frantic in them and when you think about it they are not actually going anywhere except in a plastic sphere. The can't sniff, nibble climb and investigate. A bit like going to the gym on a treadmill as opposed to going for a lovely country walk! I expect some hammies do like the running but we do not use balls ourselves.
She was in the ball a bit too long. Don't give in and put her in for more than 15mins at a time as they can oveheat and need to get food and water. Spend more time on the floor or on the bed handling and allowing her to clamber.
I expect she was also in heat last night. Females can get a bit crazy every 4th night as they try to get out to seek a mate. It is a natural instinct. Keep a diary and see if this is it. Put a bulldog clip on the door so she cannot escape and jam a toy over the chew area.
Hamsters are not like humans and she cannot like or not like you. They do not have human emotions! She can enjoy coming out and interacting with you because she gets a reward like food, playing, stroking, sniffing and investigating. She can also not like interacting if she has had a bad experience like a fall or fright. You need to work on the good experiences.
Young hamsters are seldom cuddly. They want to go, go, go! They want adventure and sniffing and foraging and looking for a mate! It is their instinct. Once they are older they settle and become happy to sit and be stroked.
Try and be brave and not stress out over her. She has a good home and is loved. He cage is excellent and you will have her tame. Give her time and persist with the handling part for this is the key to tameness.
Good luck
xx

IndigoElectron
02-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Thank you both so much, that really is reassurring. I got up this morning and she hadn't escaped, she's still asleep now so I'll take her in the bath when she wakes up and we can have a little play. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Bunsey
02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
how interesting to read some different opinions. I would have read that behaviour totally differently than her being in the ball too long. I would have said she loves her ball and was biting the bars to go back in it. All my hams delight in their balls. If you hold them on the sofa to explore and their ball is next to you, they run into it! I leave mine in the balls around 20 mins at a time and i either give them water on my knee or put them in the cage. Altogether they run in the ball for hours each night and they love it!

I also have different opinions about hamsters liking/disliking people. They can feel an energy from people and they can tell if you're a nice person/someone who will be kind to them.

Young hamsters are seldom cuddly. They want to go, go, go! They want adventure and sniffing and foraging and looking for a mate! It is their instinct. Once they are older they settle and become happy to sit and be stroked.

this is definately true. I wouldn't worry too much and just keep going with the taming techniques.

IndigoElectron
03-19-2009, 12:44 AM
I haven't been on here much since I joined due to being really busy - when work gets quieter in a couple of months I hope to be on here more and join in some discussions.

Anyway, just thought I'd update:

Things are coming along nicely with Myfanwy :) Taming has taken longer than I'd hoped - she was quite shy when I got her, and I haven't been able to spend as much time with her as I'd have liked (I work full time, study part time and live alone). The bath thing wasn't really working as she just kept trying to get out and seemed quite bored, but then I had the idea of shutting the bathroom door and letting her run round the floor. She loved this - she ignored me at first but the last couple of times she's started coming over to me, letting me handle her a bit more, and yesterday she climed up my back and was sitting on my shoulder! She's also decided she loves chewing my clothes :shock:

Anyway, I think we're both much happier now - just need to sort out the bar chewing!

souffle
03-19-2009, 05:22 AM
That is fab news :D She sounds like she has really settled and loves her mummy now. Well done you for taming her so well :D

Tazmanic
03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi I am having problems with my adopted syrian, i dont know much of her history and to be honest shes was in a really bad way, her cage was way too small, her wheel was not working and it was so small that she filled half of this,

So the 1st thing that i did was buy her a new cage that i got second hand, also bought her a new wheel that is nearly twice the size of her she likes to climb up the cage i gather this is normal, but the thing that is making me really worried is when she is awake she seems to be fretful and making a horrid noise like a screamy squeaky crying sort of noise also she is snoring when she is alseep, shes eating and drinking as this was another problem when she was given to me, her water was ages old and her dishes were empty for how long i have no idea, some people need there fingers hacking off, it makes me angry i dont know how long she was like this

can anyone tell me this is normal as i am at my witts end with her, sometimes shes not making any noises so then i think that she has died but shes either sniffing around her cage or eating i wondered if it was stress from moving her out of a tiny cage to a larger one

Please help me

souffle
03-27-2009, 01:41 PM
It could be stress Taz but to be honest it does not sound like a normal hamster noise. Even unsetlled hamsters don't squeak and wheeze all the time. She may have a chest infection or some other illness making her feel uncomfortable. Is she handleable? Can you do an allover check with everything felt and assessed? If you are worried about teeth, swollen tummy or anything at all she needs to see a vet. Poor wee lamb she has had a time and good for you on taking her on and making life better for her. I hope she is OK and settles soon.