PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Roborovski

DaisyChain
10-26-2005, 11:14 AM
My daughter's Roboovski has been to the vet. She is walking as if she is drunk, and keeps sort of collapsing. The vet examined her as I suggested it may be a stroke (we had a Robo a few years ago that had a stroke) but he ruled this out, he thinks she has an inner ear infection which is affecting her balance. We have Baytril for her so fingers crossed she will be okay. Her sister hamster keeps looking at her as if to say 'What's wrong?' Anyone elses hammy had this and did they recover okay?

babyboos
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM
I have heard of beahviour like this as a result of ear infections, though sadly cannot give any advice from personal experience. Hopefully the Baytril will do the trick. Did the vet check for ear mites?

DaisyChain
10-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. Yes, vet did check for mites. Its heartbreaking to watch, she flips onto her back as if she can't control her movements, it's as if she is having a fit of some sort. Me and daughter don't want to go to bed, we want to keep an eye on her. What worries us is that vet said if she gets any worse she will have to be put to sleep.

babyboos
10-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh I am so sorry and also for her poor sister if she doesn't recover, but I will pray for you all and have often called Baytril the wonder medicine as it really does seem to clear up a lot of hamster illnesses very quickly.

I read this on the PDSA (http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pages/page04_5_showa.cfm?q_id=13892) website:

"Otitis media (or middle ear infection) is where the affected hamster has a head tilt and incoordinated movement. This can be the result of a common cold or a streptococcal bacterial infection from humans. Hamsters are also susceptible to a secondary infection if they are stressed, perhaps due to a sudden fall in temperature or a draught. In these cases, the hamster may need antibiotic therapy, so it is a good idea to take your hamster along to the vet. The affected hamster may also need supportive nursing, such as warmth, and a supportive drink of equal parts warm milk and water plus a little honey. "

You have sought the antibiotic treatment so maybe see if you can also give her a little hamster warm toddy too. If you heat the water slightly it helps the honey mix better.

Please keep us informed of how she gets on.

DaisyChain
10-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks for finding that out for us. We are going to mix up the water, milk and honey right now. We will let you know how she gets on.

babyboos
10-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Aww make sure her sister has some too she must be so confused poor wee thing

Thinking of you

Emma
10-27-2005, 05:18 AM
I'm not sure how the vet ruled out a stroke - I think it's still a possibility, and if so baytril won't help, although small furries can recover quite well from strokes just by themselves over a few days with good supportive care (fluids, good nutrition, warmth & comfort). If it is an ear infection hopefully the baytril will have an effect.

Please double check your baytril dose - hamsters (especially robos) are notoriously difficult to dose. You need 0.04ml of neat baytril oral per 100g of bodyweight, given twice a day - this works out at around 0.01ml twice daily for robos. This is a very fiddly amount to do so I dilute the baytril 10% and give 0.1ml. I'm sure your vet has worked this out but it doesn't hurt to check - if you're not sure how you can tell us what it says on the label and we'll try to help.

It's also a very good idea to give probiotic at the same time - I recommend AviPro Plus (available online here http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/ with prompt delivery, or your vet might stock it), this can be added to the normal drinking water and won't hurt the healthy one.

Make sure she's eating too - syringe feeding small amounts of baby food if need be (care no onions or garlic in the ingredients).

Fingers crossed, let us know how you get on.

DaisyChain
10-27-2005, 05:42 AM
Our poorly little girl passed away a short while ago. Me and my daughter (age 10) were here, we had managed to get some antibiotics and water into her, and we thought she was going to be okay, she was more active than yesterday, but she flopped down in her cage and stopped breathing. Thankyou babyboos for your help on the other thread. Thanks to Emma too. Goodbye Sweets, we will miss you, so will your sister Chocolate.