PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP REQUIRED; DECLANNING

hollynelson
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi!!!

I need some help :( my three hamsters have been fighting, they have just started - it came out of the blue as they have all been fine with each other, sharing the same bed and very happy - no signs of fighting eg wounds or anything. Anyway it was really nasty and one of them, Chocolate, came out worse for wear. I think it was instigated by one of them and then the other two joined in and now they are all fighting each other.

So....need to know what to do for the best. I have put them all into separate cages (couldn't risk any of them hurting each other), but I am aware that this means they will live separately forever. Does this have a negative impact on their health? Also, in the short term, I haven't had enough water bottles to give all of them one and I shalln't do so until tomorrow night, I have put in small lids of water and will check on them in the morning, but will this do more harm than good?

I hope someone can read this, we need help!!

Cheers,

Holly x

internet_nobody
02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Holly,

Splitting them won't have any long-term impact on their health, however you might notice them seeming a bit "depressed" for a couple of days while they re-adjust. It always seems to surprise them, even the instigator can seem withdrawn but they will quickly forget and move on.

Small water dishes will be fine for a day, but they will kick bedding in which might mop up all the water. I'd offer a bit of watery veg (cucumber/courgette) sat on a dish as a bit of bedding hitting it won't shlurp away all the moisture.

souffle
02-24-2009, 04:40 AM
You have done the right thing in separating them. Even a storage box is better than a hurt hamster so they will be fine as will the water bowls. Check them for injuries and if there are any cuts bathe once with cooled boiled water and a cotton ball then leave to heal. You need to watch for any swelling, redness or oozing and if this happens they will need to see a vet for antibiotics. Most heal well within 10days though.
They will be fine alone and will likely become more people friendly. As IN says they can sulk a bit for up to a week or so but normally settle and are much happier hammies in the long term and you will feel much happier too knowing you are not going to find a bloodbath when you come in.

hollynelson
02-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Awesome, thank you so much guys. They don't seem to have any major wounds, although one does have a few patches of fur missing, can't really see if that is bleeding or not, but she's on shredded paper, not woodshavings just in case and will bathe with cotton wool just in case and watch for a couple of days. So glad that I did the right thing and that it doesn't matter that they have been separated. Just means that I will have a house that looks a bit like a pet shop for a few years!!! I don't mind that too much!