PDA

View Full Version : How do your hamsters sleep?

BluerayDarkes
05-21-2015, 08:18 AM
As I'm interested in how everyone's hamsters sleep.

Lunar - Has a plastic house and a wooden house, so far has slept very little in the plastic house but taken up residence in the wooden house. He used to just bury himself in all the substrate, now he buries himself inside the wooden house.

Cindy - Has a plastic house and a wooden house. She used to sleep a lot in the plastic house, recently she has decided to switch houses and now sleeps in the wooden one. Not really sure why but maybe she fancied moving.

Yummy - Has a rat sized sputnik. She hates it she doesn't even go inside it, she went in twice and that was it. Yummy prefers to burrow down under the low platform she has, and makes a nest under there perhaps because it feels more enclosed. She used to just make nests in corners.

Denisekay
05-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Hamphrey has a wooden hut and a cardboard box which he alternates from one to the other.

Puff has a plastic house and bendy bridge, but he prefers to burrow down to create a nest.

cypher
05-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Flynt has a Leif cabin & always sleeps in there with as much tissue as he can stuff in!
Mickle has a couple of houses & a shelf she'll sleep in or under & sometimes she just burrows down into the substrate & sleeps there.
Zephyr has a wooden house & will sleep in there, it buried in substrate & I think she'd sleep anywhere underground but she does have a doze in one of her hammocks during the day too.

Miss kiwi
05-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Kiwi sleeps in a plastic hut that I have barried under some aspen bedding and absolutely loves it. I never see her during the day at all but sometimes I can here her nibbling away on some food.

BluerayDarkes
05-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Hamsters are weird sleepers lol

Snowe Hamster
05-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Snowe lives in a Habitrail Ovo Dwarf Cage, he sleeps in the house that cae with that.

Syrup sleeps in his Igloo, although the last few days he's randomly fallen asleep under his wheel :D

Charlie also sleeps in his Igloo, although he sometimes just lies down in the middle of the cage and falls asleep when he's been on his wheel too much :D

HarryHamster
05-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Harry sleeps in random places like the sleeping pouch or the tee-pee or just in the corner where he made a nest.

barley
05-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Rupert has a wooden cabin-style house and Joey has the Classic plastic igloo - both always use them to sleep in everyday!

WinnieTheHam
05-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Winston sleeps in a grass hut. He usually sleeps on his side or in a ball. He changes the amount of tissue a lot, sometimes he'll have a little on top of him or he'll be in the centre of the 'doughnut' of tissue haha :) he always covers up the entrance too.

herbi7
05-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Willow is very particular about her nest, she sleeps in a tight ball in a load of tissue that she carries into her shoebox and when she comes out she leaves a perfectly round hole. She sleeps all day till about 7pm except for coming out about 4 to check her saucer. The boys are a bit more random, they make big loose nests out of tissue in their shoeboxes. Littlun goes as far down as he can till he is sleeping on the floor of the cage, Bailey doesn't worry so much but they are both completely hidden when I check on them. They both pile big heaps in front of their doors

BluerayDarkes
05-22-2015, 12:33 AM
This is pretty good to read, they are all so different. Right now Cindy has stuffed bedding in to the door of her wooden house, as before I could see her little chubby body all curled up inside.

Snowz
05-22-2015, 04:12 AM
Oreo has a Strawberry (The bed that she had at Pets at Home) :)

Leila0420
05-22-2015, 05:11 AM
Maybe Cindy realised you'd been watching her and came over a bit shy?? lol

My syrian Pumpkin still sleeps in the cardboard box she came home in from the pet shop (despite chew holes and pee stains). She sleeps right at the back in a ball of bedding but has a set path out that she fills the entrance of with bedding so you cant see in.

My timid dwarf Dina sleeps in a really long rectangular cardboard box. I'm fairly certain he sleeps somewhere in the middle and pees at the back lol. My other dwarf Haneen sleeps in a wooden box that I converted for him out of an Ikea Moppe shelf but he has a habit of dozing under a large cardboard box in his cage when he's zoomed too much.

Scarlett Empress
05-22-2015, 11:23 AM
I bought Smokey a wooden house when I first adopted her, but she found it too small and kept pushing it over - so now she has a shelf across one end of her cage and she makes her nest under that in one corner. It's quite big and deep, she has a very neat round doorway which I can see when she comes out, but she covers it all over when she's in bed.

Nienna
05-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Baklava used to sleep in an igloo, but now she's moved into a large cereal box and has stuffed it full of bedding and toilet paper.

BluerayDarkes
05-26-2015, 06:21 AM
I finally got Yummy to sleep under a box I gave her.

JenAndPikachu
05-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Pikachu squeezes himself in between his flying saucer wheel and the wall of the cage and sleeps there on his back with his little legs in the air. I literally think hes dead every time I see him! But when I look closer he actually looks really comfy and content sleeping that way :)

PrehistoricGirl
05-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Peanut also likes to sleep wedged in between things, like his plastic house and the cage or between his strawberry ceramic house and the cage. He likes to sleep on his side. Other times he sleeps in his tube.

BluerayDarkes
05-26-2015, 07:31 AM
*giggles* Hamster wedges

Snowz
05-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Just wanted to add a little more to my comment:

She has a strawberry little hut from Pet's at Home that she slept in with her other Syrian sisters. Even though when I clean her cage out or do spot cleaning I put bedding inside the little strawberry and she adds loads more to make a door!!!!

JenAndPikachu
05-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Got some pictures of the way my Pikachu sleep, its soooooo cute hahah

DSC_0147_zpss59h9cgg.jpg Photo by jensturdy93 | Photobucket (http://s288.photobucket.com/user/jensturdy93/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0147_zpss59h9cgg.jpg.html?o=0)

DSC_0149_zpsp62w8e0f.jpg Photo by jensturdy93 | Photobucket (http://s288.photobucket.com/user/jensturdy93/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0149_zpsp62w8e0f.jpg.html?o=2)

BluerayDarkes
05-27-2015, 09:43 AM
That's adorable xD

Mweekie
05-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Got some pictures of the way my Pikachu sleep, its soooooo cute hahah

Aww that is really cute Pikachu.

Lily sleeps in the wooden house she got that came with the Barney cage. Sometimes she will block the doorway, but other nights it's open lol.

Mweekie xx

Hamsterlover91
05-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Usually in a concern on her side however the other day she was sleeping with her belly exposed very confused about that she's a syrain

Teddy001
05-28-2015, 03:29 AM
My 3 hamsters, 2 Syrians and a dwarf, prefer to build their nests under ledges, in their cages, although they have many wooden houses to chose, but prefer sleeping under ledges.

bert330201
05-28-2015, 05:11 AM
my hamster sleep in his coconut or depens on if i have fitch in there he will make an borrow, atm he got wood chip/shavings and he got little nest going atm

EmilyS_79
05-28-2015, 04:52 PM
My hamsters sleep different every time. They sometimes lay flat out on the bedding, cuddle up in their wheel, curl up in their food bowls, sleep in the corner or in their houses. I have 11 hamsters and they are all so different.

BluerayDarkes
05-29-2015, 12:49 PM
I find that Yummy is the lightest sleeper, look at her sleeping or make a certain noise and she's up ready to investigate. The two dwarves do change sleeping places, Lunar more than Cindy and he likes to burrow lol. Gotta love hamsters though.

DrKMcK
05-30-2015, 12:43 AM
Pikachu is adorable. :-D
My Nutmeg has always been a funny sleeper. Nowadays she sleeps under her Bendy Bridge. But she was a rescue, and in the beginning she had never had a house. So she would only sleep out in the open at first. See photos below.

DrKMcK
05-30-2015, 12:52 AM
She also slept like this...

And I had a litter of Black Bear Syrians who slept all over the place. They are also shown. :-D

Fluffagrams
05-30-2015, 02:08 AM
All three of that hamsters living with me at the moment (I say that so it includes Sooty too) have a Pickles Woodland Cottage from Pets at Home.

Meat was on occasions, kicked out when he lived with his brother and when that happened he'd sleep in one of the toys in the cage.

In the winter Meat used to totally destroy his egg boxes and take them to his bed to make it extra cosy but sometimes he'd get a little bit carried away and fill it so full that there wouldn't be any room for him.

May went through a spell of sleeping under her old flying saucer wheel but now she has a silent spinner, she's stopped doing that but has now managed to chew a huge hole in the back of the house. She sleeps under the walls of the house in the area that she's chewed.

Sooty has slept outside behind her wheel on several occasions and unlike May, prefers to sleep by the door of the house.

BluerayDarkes
05-30-2015, 03:16 AM
DrK your hamsters sleep a lot on their backs xD

Fluff you got some interesting sleepers there.

I'm loving this thread

HollyHamster
05-30-2015, 05:02 PM
Celeste apparently slept in her nest cuddled up with my socks (or at least I found one of them lining her nest when I cleaned out her cage last night). Needless to say, I was beyond perplexed as to how she got a hold of one them without leaving the confines of her cage. Maybe she has some secret hamster powers I'm not aware of.

In case you're dying to know, the sock in question remained undamaged, although it was slightly soggy from being soiled a bit. Nothing a quick wash can't fix though. :mad:

Shannonmcn
05-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Cc won't go near her cottage, it's always a big open nest lined very carefully and precisely with shredded tissue. I feel so bad ruining them on cage clean days! D: I got a picture today actually. A big shelf sits on top of that whole area so she's nice and sheltered
http://i.imgur.com/KvNrIFGl.jpg

BluerayDarkes
06-04-2015, 02:34 AM
Celeste apparently slept in her nest cuddled up with my socks (or at least I found one of them lining her nest when I cleaned out her cage last night). Needless to say, I was beyond perplexed as to how she got a hold of one them without leaving the confines of her cage. Maybe she has some secret hamster powers I'm not aware of.

In case you're dying to know, the sock in question remained undamaged, although it was slightly soggy from being soiled a bit. Nothing a quick wash can't fix though. :mad:

Perhaps she escaped at some point to steal the sock, hamsters do love their soft things to sleep on. Yummy tried pouching my sleeves a few times and then tried chewing off what she wanted, she's stopped doing that now as I tell her off about it. I'm glad you got your sock back undamaged xD Beware she might steal more now!

Cc won't go near her cottage, it's always a big open nest lined very carefully and precisely with shredded tissue. I feel so bad ruining them on cage clean days! D: I got a picture today actually. A big shelf sits on top of that whole area so she's nice and sheltered
http://i.imgur.com/KvNrIFGl.jpg

I always feel bad when I have to do spot cleaning and if they've nested in the open all their bedding is soiled so I have to take it out, they give me such dirty looks for taking away their bed. D:

Naraivi
06-04-2015, 02:42 AM
Maurice likes to sleep on his back in the corner of his tub :D

BluerayDarkes
06-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Or in showers xD

Nicole314
06-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Pepper sleeps in his little plastic house. He makes a big cozy nest in there. At one point he was sleeping under his wheel, but he moved back to his house.

Lavi sleeps either in her plastic house or wedged behind her wheel.

Oliver and Felix, who are brothers in the same cage, sleep in the little hideaway that came with their cage. They even carried substrate up to it to make a nest. (It's on the third "level" of their cage) xD

BluerayDarkes
06-09-2015, 10:42 AM
D'aaaww adorable.

Our recent addition Tank sleeps in the upside down box I gave him.

Naraivi
06-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Or in showers xD

Haha very true! :D

BluerayDarkes
06-10-2015, 05:13 AM
Think that's the first time I seen a hammy sleeping in a shower

Hetty
06-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Daisy decides to smoosh and squidge herself into the most tiny and open places she can find. Then drags a teeny weeny bit of bedraggled bedding over her head. Despite having an igloo, a hammock tunnel thing and large lovely wooden home. And ample bedding. She seems to do this only when she knows I have visitors........

Robodwarfs18
06-10-2015, 01:21 PM
I provide my Syrian with loads of hideouts and he chooses to sleep just out in the open on the floor, he's very strange :D

SiriusBlack
06-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Sirius has always slept in his wooden corner hut

BluerayDarkes
06-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Some of these make me really giggle.

Kimberly
06-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Loaf usually sleeps in his plastic igloo, but sometimes on hotter nights, he'll sleep at the sides of his cage or at a random spot on the higher levels.
Also, sometimes when he's digging in a corner and cleaning himself, Loaf will forget what he's doing and fall asleep there! I've caught him several times doing that, and the face he pulls when he wakes up and sees me watching his priceless! :D

BluerayDarkes
06-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Loaf usually sleeps in his plastic igloo, but sometimes on hotter nights, he'll sleep at the sides of his cage or at a random spot on the higher levels.
Also, sometimes when he's digging in a corner and cleaning himself, Loaf will forget what he's doing and fall asleep there! I've caught him several times doing that, and the face he pulls when he wakes up and sees me watching his priceless! :D

That last bit xD

Yummy has decided she didn't want to sleep under her box any longer, I found she had made a nest under her wheel. Since I was replacing the container she was nesting in due to the fact I cracked it, I had to remove her nest while I changed everything over. On the bottom cage I took out the shelf that my OH made as she started to chew off the sealant that filled in holes, I put in one of those IKEA wooden, file holder things and she is now nesting in that. In fact she even moved her large tooth brush chew from the box nest to the new nest she is sleeping in Oo

fluffydd
06-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Carmilla sleeps on her platform in a nest of tissue. She doesn't totally cover herself up and it's cute seeing her curled up asleep. That's the only place she's slept since we got her 14 months ago.

Souvarine sleeps right in the middle of a plastic tube that once was a see saw but I no longer have the base. He's filled it with Fitch bedding.

BluerayDarkes
06-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Aww bless them.

This is how I found Tank sleeping today
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/blueraydragon/20150629_140830_zps6d23cpbv.jpg

rivertamster
06-29-2015, 07:54 AM
In her old cage, River had an open-ish nest under a platform. No matter how much sawdust I put in, it would all end up banked up under there. Now she's in her big cage, she sleeps in a digging tank filled with ripped up j-cloth bedding. She snuggles down so deep I can't even hear her!

ham888
07-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Oh Biscuit... fast sleep after being hyper

BluerayDarkes
07-01-2015, 07:04 AM
In her old cage, River had an open-ish nest under a platform. No matter how much sawdust I put in, it would all end up banked up under there. Now she's in her big cage, she sleeps in a digging tank filled with ripped up j-cloth bedding. She snuggles down so deep I can't even hear her!
I guess that's because it imitates their burrows they would dig.

Oh Biscuit... fast sleep after being hyper
That looks like a precarious place to sleep lol

BluerayDarkes
08-01-2015, 05:07 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/blueraydragon/20150702_155548_zpsl8wymhpu.jpg

Here's a picture of Yummy sleeping in her tin on a hot day

BluerayDarkes
08-02-2015, 08:37 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/blueraydragon/11846644_10206376493747645_2724673190575608523_n_z psbpdoc5vn.jpg

Lunar decided to take a nap on his wheel today

BluerayDarkes
06-02-2016, 01:32 AM
Bumping this thread :D

spacebyte
06-02-2016, 02:45 AM
We got luna a little house to sleep in, as well as a sputnik, but she's dragged all the shredded paper she has underneath the shelf of the alaska and that hole area is her bed/food store intead :)

Lydia1981
06-02-2016, 03:28 AM
Tilly used to sleep under a shelf in her old cage, now she sleeps in the little house that's with the hamster heaven, she slept in the penthouse aswell but I removed it as she became lazy and stashed her food in there and used it as a toilet aswell, I ended up having to clean it every day as it stunk.

I have bought her loads of little houses and even made her one but she prefers the one that comes with it

She has slept on her tubes aswell a lot so I have removed them for a bit

I always see her little nose poking out of the door, she doesn't have much bedding in her house maybe because it's hot

flowerfairy
06-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Woodstock has two cardboard houses, one with an open side and one with two small entrances. He sleeps in a pile of shredded toilet paper in the open sided box.

Gopal sleeps in a cardboard tunnel (he has a leif cabin and a wicker tunnel and a seagrass hide). It is sooo cute cos he is right by my bedside table at the pillow end of my bed x

Kashi sleeps in her wooden house that came with her barney cage. She has made a massive nest in there with fitch, tissue paper and cardboard.

Arun sleeps in his leif cabin (with the bottom knocked out).

Fairy (roborovski) sleeps in her mass of fitch bedding under her shelf.

Flower (roborovski) sleeps in her mass of fitch bedding under her wooden ramp leading to her platform.

M3gan
06-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Percy sleeps in his home made labyrinth style house, but often falls asleep on his new flying saucer :D

sarah001
06-02-2016, 10:05 AM
My girls both sleep the same.

Lilo sleeps in the corner with very little bedding in possibly every position she finds comfy i caught her sleeping like this the other day ... 37539

Stitch is pretty much the same as Lilo but she prefers to have a little bit more bedding than her sister. 37538

BluerayDarkes
06-02-2016, 11:56 AM
These are such silly, sleepy hamsters.

sarah001
06-02-2016, 11:59 AM
These are such silly, sleepy hamsters.

You can say that again :mad:

BluerayDarkes
07-05-2016, 02:23 AM
Cindy has changed where she sleeps now. She's gone from her small wooden hut to one of the house ends of her wooden activity toy, guess she wanted to upgrade from a cottage to a mansion.

pinkneon
07-05-2016, 04:09 AM
Sweep seems to vary from day to day. I guess it depends on his mood lol. One night he will be in his house, the next he will move all his bedding to his Sputnik or coconut house, the next he'll be in an open nest, the next he'll abandon hos nest and sleep right under the substrate in a random part of the cage! Why he doesn't just build himself more than one nest I have no idea!

Vicki
07-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Patro'n likes her edible burrow filled with substrate. However, she has a couple new hides so we shall see.

BluerayDarkes
07-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Sweep seems to vary from day to day. I guess it depends on his mood lol. One night he will be in his house, the next he will move all his bedding to his Sputnik or coconut house, the next he'll be in an open nest, the next he'll abandon hos nest and sleep right under the substrate in a random part of the cage! Why he doesn't just build himself more than one nest I have no idea!

Sweep just sounds like he can't make up his mind where to sleep xD

Patro'n likes her edible burrow filled with substrate. However, she has a couple new hides so we shall see.

I find with more than one house my own hamsters like to swap sleeping areas now and then, keep us updated if she moves her sleeping area lol.