PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting another Dwarf hamster

Miss kiwi
05-18-2015, 03:50 PM
I currently have 1 Russian Dwarf hamster and I absolutely love her to death! She it the typical colour, light brown with a dark dorsal stripe and a white belly. I have her housed in a 20 gallon long aquarium with lots of toys, hides, shavings, chews, and a mineral block. She is one of the sweetest hamsters that I have ever met/had. She is my first hamster in over 5 years and my first dwarf hamster, my first 2 were syrians. Because I was a lot younger I never had any real knowledge of them. Poor things had a tiny cage and weren't tame whatsoever. I had a horrible experience owning them as they were both nasty towards me, I couldn't touch them because they would always bite (my fault I know now, but didn't understand then). But now I am thinking of getting a second Russian Dwarf hamster. Any time I go to the petstore to pick up hamster necessities (which is very often because I want everything for my hamster lol) I always go and check out what they have in the hamster cages. I always see some really pretty colourings and I just want one so bad. I absolutely love my hamster now but I want another one that is differently coloured. Guhh I don't know what I should do!

Gibbs&JackBlack
05-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Just know that if you do get another one you will need a whole new cage set up. You cannot introduce a new dwarf with your current one. They only get along if they are from the same litter.
As far as getting another one, it depends if you can afford a whole new cage set up and have time to spend with both of them separately. If yes to both questions, then yes, get another fluffy. :)
I know it's hard to resist cause they are soooo cute, but just be sure you know the expenses so you don't get overwhelmed.

Miss kiwi
05-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Oh I know that I'll need a whole new cage set up. My first hamster cost me about $200 but that was because of the extra food and bedding that I bought so it wouldn't be too bad this time around. I play with my hamster pretty much daily for hours as long as she stays awake. I just think I would be content having 2 hamsters. I'd want more but 2 is good enough for now lol.

cypher
05-18-2015, 11:55 PM
What's stopping you from getting another? Do you have any doubts about having enough space, time or money for all the necessities (including a vet fund just in case!) if you can provide everything a second ham would need then why not, I'm sure you have more than enough room in your heart to love two to bits!

Thin Lizzy
05-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Emily, go for it, you've given this a lot of thought and you have the experience.

Miss kiwi
05-19-2015, 08:53 AM
I think I will! Thank you everyone! I'll probably wait until next week to pick one up but now I'm excited! I'll post pictures when I get her. I do know already that I want another female. I'm thinking a purple theme for her set up. My poor girl not has blue because it's my favourite colour haha

Miss kiwi
05-20-2015, 04:29 PM
I went to three different petstores today looking for my next baby... I specifically want a female Russian Dwarf hamster. Well two stores had no Russian Dwarf hamsters at all and the other one only had male Russian Dwarf hamsters :(

EmilyS_79
05-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Awe, that's a bummer. I hope you find what you are looking for! :) You are a great pet owner, this new little guy will have the best mamma ever.

Miss kiwi
05-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Awe, that's a bummer. I hope you find what you are looking for! :) You are a great pet owner, this new little guy will have the best mamma ever.

Thank you! That means a lot! Somehow I have to keep myself busy until next Thursday when they will hopefully have some more females ](*,)

Miss kiwi
05-21-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm thinking that I just might crack and go get a male Russian Dwarf hamster, ugh I'm getting impatient for a female to arrive!

herbi7
05-21-2015, 02:12 PM
:) boys can be lovely too...

Miss kiwi
05-21-2015, 09:27 PM
:) boys can be lovely too...

Oh I have nothing against them, I just have always generally bonded with females more. If I can't find a female in my area soon I just might get a male! :)

Thin Lizzy
05-21-2015, 11:57 PM
I think we're going to be hearing really soon about your new addition.

Miss kiwi
05-22-2015, 01:45 PM
I think we're going to be hearing really soon about your new addition.

You thought right! Went and picked up my new addition today!

EmilyS_79
05-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Ermhagherd!!! So cute! :)

cypher
05-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Congrats! Really adorable :)

Thin Lizzy
05-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Goodness me, he's absolutely stunning! Congratulations!
Have you thought of any names?

Miss kiwi
05-23-2015, 05:00 AM
Ermhagherd!!! So cute! :)

Congrats! Really adorable :)

Goodness me, he's absolutely stunning! Congratulations!
Have you thought of any names?

Thank you everyone! I'm not 100% certain on his gender just yet because he's just a tad bit young so it's hard to tell. But the petstore was pretty certain that it's an little boy :) I'm trying to think on gender neutral names but nothing has clicked. I may just wait a week or so to be certain of his gender. I hope it's a little boy though. Even though my mind was on a girl until I saw his little face lol! I really like the name Chico but I need to know if he's a boy lol!