PDA

View Full Version : I think this is the end. :o(

Gareth
05-18-2015, 03:26 AM
Well folks, I know I haven't been part of the community or posted here a lot since my initial introduction over two years ago. The truth is, I really didn't have the time to use another forum properly. I did come on here a lot before myself and my ex girlfriend brought little Hershey home to make sure he had the best home/care etc. After we split, I ended up looking after our little friend, cleaning him regularly, making sure he has food and water and letting him out to exercise. We brought him home in January 2013 so I am assuming he was probably born in December 2012, which would make him 2 years and 5 months now. I could tell he was getting older but he was still active, still popping into his wheel and eating and drinking so I never had any cause for concern, aside from a sticky eye which I bathed last week. He has gone progressively more grey and moved a little slower of late, but again, still eating and drinking and doing his business without a problem. But today, I called home from work to find him huddled in the corner facing the wall, still breathing but very unresponsive. I don't think there is anything I can do aside from making sure he is still comfortable and quiet.

I want to thank you for all the advice on this site for letting me give him what has been a good life. I am taking some comfort from the fact that he has hopefully had a good life to have never been ill and lived till this age. My research on the line suggests that he is pretty old for a Syrian?

:(

Thin Lizzy
05-18-2015, 04:07 AM
Sorry to hear Hershey's health has declined. Make him comfortable, even using a blanket if you want to hold him while he passes. If not then put extra bedding in his cage so he's warm and comfy.
It's never easy saying goodbye xx

cypher
05-18-2015, 07:14 AM
So sorry to hear Hershey seems to be reaching the end Gareth, it sounds as though he has had a really good life with you & been well loved & cared for, he's reached a good age now & that's a tribute to your care.
You really can't do more than keep him comfortable now, if he seems happy to be held then do that but if not just talk to him & I'm sure he'll find comfort in your presence.

DrKMcK
05-18-2015, 07:25 AM
Hello Gareth. 2 years 5 months is a wonderful age for a Syrian, so he has had a nice long life. Sometimes we get lucky and a hammy ages well, never being ill all the way up until he's ready to journey to the Bridge. You are right in just making him as comfortable as possible. As long as he appears to not be in pain he should be allowed to pass in his home. What happens is that Hershey will turn inward, focusing on his own inner world and won't really be aware of much around him. I've had hammies who feel comforted in being held, and others who seemed to struggle if I tried to hold them. Do what you think Hershey needs. I hope he goes gently. You are going to miss this little guy. He's been a part of your life for quite a long time now. :-(

Gareth
05-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Thank you for the kind words.

As predicted, he has now passed away. I am very sure he didn't suffer as he was active, all be it slowly, up until today when he just took himself away to the corner. As I say, all his functions were intact and he was eating and drinking even last night. I guess he was just a little old fellow.

I actually hope that when I go it is as easy and quickly as that. Gonna find something to bury him in now. Thanks again folks. :)

DrKMcK
05-18-2015, 10:10 AM
I am sorry you've lost him, but so pleased it was a gentle passing. Play well at the Bridge Hershey, old man. :-(

cypher
05-18-2015, 10:12 AM
So glad he went peacefully without suffering in his own home, I'm really sorry you've lost a good friend though as I'm sure you'll miss him very much.

Run free & play well at the bridge Hershey.

Josie
05-18-2015, 12:23 PM
So sorry to hear of Hershey's passing, run free and play well at the bridge little Hershey you are in our thoughts x

Pebbles82
05-19-2015, 07:53 AM
Goodbye little Hershey - he is free now to play. I hope you'll come back on here, especially if you decide to get another little hamster friend.

Thin Lizzy
05-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Sweet Dreams Hershey xxx
Glad he passed in his home and with you by his side
Sending you big hugs XX