PDA

View Full Version : Candles and perfume??

Robodwarfs18
05-16-2015, 09:06 AM
So I've been wondering for a while if I could have candles and perfumes in my room while I have my 3 hamsters. I have a candle obsession you could say :D though I don't tend to light them as much cause I'm very cautious so would just having them in your room affect the hamsters? Also I have perfume and spray it in my room but I'm worried it can hurt my little hammies. I'd really like to know the answer because I'm going to buy more candles tomorrow and it's important to know. All replies appreciated! Thanks x

cypher
05-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Personally I find most candles quite overwhelming, I know I'm really sensitive to smells but so are hams so I'm not sure it would be a good idea tbh. I guess you could try one & see if it bothers them, I really wouldn't spray anything in a room with hamsters in though.

Artisans_uk
05-16-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm with cypher, Robodwarfs18. I definitely would avoid spraying anything in the same room as my fluffs are. When I have had to have them in my bedroom (not often as they stay in the lounge) then I use the sprays in another room ie bathroom. Even non scented deodorants, I won't spray around them because of the fine powder in the spray.

I do have candles in the lounge but they are not lit near any cages and as soon as the scent is being released, I blow them out, so the fragrance isn't too much for sensitive noses (and that includes Henry the budgie's nose). I use a lot of LED lights since having the girls, not much good if you have a candle obsession, though. ;)

Robodwarfs18
05-16-2015, 09:37 AM
I'm with cypher, Robodwarfs18. I definitely would avoid spraying anything in the same room as my fluffs are. When I have had to have them in my bedroom (not often as they stay in the lounge) then I use the sprays in another room ie bathroom. Even non scented deodorants, I won't spray around them because of the fine powder in the spray.

I do have candles in the lounge but they are not lit near any cages and as soon as the scent is being released, I blow them out, so the fragrance isn't too much for sensitive noses (and that includes Henry the budgie's nose). I use a lot of LED lights since having the girls, not much good if you have a candle obsession, though. ;)

Haha thank you! x

racinghamster
05-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Simple answer, No. We like the scent but hamsters like fresh air. My advice would be if you have to use perfume, spray it on yourself in another room entirely and allow the smell to evaporate for five or ten minutes before entering the room the hamsters are in. I like perfume too but if I`m using any, I spray it in the living room and leave the bottle there and put it back in my room later on. I usually only use my perfume if I`m actually going out but I don`t tend to us it sitting in the house.

Candles likewise. They can be strong and some can be downright annoying! I have a few scented candles for display in glass jars, but I don`t light them. The last time I lit one was when my little robo passed away and I lit one in his memory. x

barley
05-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Oh my god, I never even thought about this. I have a Yankee Candle obsession and have one burning virtually all evening, every evening :(

Robodwarfs18
05-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Oh my god, I never even thought about this. I have a Yankee Candle obsession and have one burning virtually all evening, every evening :(

I feel you! I have the same Yankee Candle obsession and I have a few in my bedroom. Im just like you tbh. I never thought until my mum brought it up. Don't worry, your not the only one who made this mistake ;)

Robodwarfs18
05-18-2015, 10:38 AM
Simple answer, No. We like the scent but hamsters like fresh air. My advice would be if you have to use perfume, spray it on yourself in another room entirely and allow the smell to evaporate for five or ten minutes before entering the room the hamsters are in. I like perfume too but if I`m using any, I spray it in the living room and leave the bottle there and put it back in my room later on. I usually only use my perfume if I`m actually going out but I don`t tend to us it sitting in the house.

Candles likewise. They can be strong and some can be downright annoying! I have a few scented candles for display in glass jars, but I don`t light them. The last time I lit one was when my little robo passed away and I lit one in his memory. x

Okay I will take note about the perfume for further use. Also, I didn't know how to explain how I keep my candles but I basically do the same as you. It's not really about the whole 'lighting' it's more about how pretty they look, I don't know I just like the look of them :D it's hard to explain. It's similar to your reason, I just have them on display, plus my candles aren't too strong. P.S I'm so sorry about your little robo, lighting a candle is such a sweet memorial! Thanks for your answer! x

Snowz
05-18-2015, 01:10 PM
I would avoid any spraying or perfumes in the room! Many perfumes and sprays can be quite strong for a hamster and might cause slight headache just like humans. You could in a different room but avoid the room with your hamster just to be on the safe side! :)

Thin Lizzy
05-21-2015, 03:54 AM
I always use sprays in another room and wait a while before going into the living room.
As for candles, I have unscented ones and are used in emergencies like a power cut.

staceycanada
05-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Keep in mind not only candles and perfumes but any scented products such as air freshener/fabreze, dryer sheets, carpet powder etc. can also irritate or cause respiratory issues in small animals.