PDA

View Full Version : I feel bad :(

Robodwarfs18
05-11-2015, 02:01 PM
So I've had my Syrian for about a day or so and today I made a big mistake. I left the cage door open as I went to check on my robos and I never realised and so when I went back to the cage, Cookie was sitting on top of the cage. I panicked and screamed for help since I'd never been in this situation before and didn't know what to do and now the poor little thing is terrified because of the loud noises. I feel horrible, 1. I left the door open stupidly and 2. I yelled and scared him. I just can't help it, in situations like that I really freak out and just scream for help! I'm worried that he won't like me again and won't let me tame him. Also I'm worried that he will escape more often now he knows how to because I see him climbing along the roof where the cage door is more often. I just don't know what to do! I feel guilty and worried :cry: anyone have suggestions or opinions for me?? Thanks.

Shannonmcn
05-11-2015, 02:27 PM
My only real suggestion is just to forgive yourself. You might have reacted badly but feeling guilty won't fix anything now and a lot of people would have reacted exactly the same way I'm sure! You can earn back your little mans trust, I bet he won't even remember in a few days :) keep speaking to him softly, maybe tempt him out with some treats or his favourite veggies. Eating is calming for all animals including humans!

The next important thing is to find out a way to keep that cage secure because I think you're probably right about future escapes. There's nothing a ham likes more than an adventure! If it was just a case of you leaving the door open then getting into a habit of deliberately noticing or touching the door before you leave the cage area will help you avoid that again. When I leave the room I always look at the cage door now, whether ive even been near it or not!

Robodwarfs18
05-11-2015, 02:39 PM
My only real suggestion is just to forgive yourself. You might have reacted badly but feeling guilty won't fix anything now and a lot of people would have reacted exactly the same way I'm sure! You can earn back your little mans trust, I bet he won't even remember in a few days :) keep speaking to him softly, maybe tempt him out with some treats or his favourite veggies. Eating is calming for all animals including humans!

The next important thing is to find out a way to keep that cage secure because I think you're probably right about future escapes. There's nothing a ham likes more than an adventure! If it was just a case of you leaving the door open then getting into a habit of deliberately noticing or touching the door before you leave the cage area will help you avoid that again. When I leave the room I always look at the cage door now, whether ive even been near it or not!

Thank you for your reply. I'm trying to forgive myself but I'll get there and I'll give him some more treats. Also for tonight, as I can't watch him because I'm sleep, I put a book over the door so he can't access the grip used to open it and I'm hoping it will work. Once again thank you for your help x

Miss kiwi
05-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Don't worry it happens to everyone... including me today. Like you I've only had my hamsters for a short amount of time. I've had her for about a month now and I love her to bits. She is an absolute gem and I'd absolutely hate myself if anything bad happened to her because of me.

Anyways, I have an aquarium tank for her. For some reason I took the lid off that just sits on top and played with her for a bit then just walked away... without putting the lid back on and without closing my door. I don't even know how long I stupidly left the cage and door open as I went to another room and turned on my tv. Well a little while went by and my cat came up to me to say hello so of course I said hi, picked him up and cuddled him. I noticed that he had shavings all over his bum but I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I leave him alone and start watching TV again. After a while I went up to my room and noticed shavings... everywhere... I went into panic mode but noticed my little ham sitting on her wheel sleeping. Her cage was not absolute mess. Her hid away was on its back her chew toys were barried, even her wheel was slightly out of place. I was so so grateful that nothing truly happened to her. I took her out and played with her to make sure that she was alright. I could tell that she was startled because there must have been quarl as her cage was basically destroyed. I wanted to hurt myself a million times I felt so guilty. But you just have to forgive yourself and always double check. She's already back to her normal self as it happened hours ago. Give your ham some time to recuperate and I'm sure the little one will be fine!

Thin Lizzy
05-13-2015, 10:37 PM
I did laugh reading your post, not in a mean way but, I've been in that situation.
Cookie needs to settle in to his new home so give him an extra couple of days to adjust and talk to him softly as much as possible.
I suggest the tissue trick of stuffing some tissues up your sleeves for a couple of hours and putting in his cage, this will get him familiar with your smell and talking will get him familiar with your voice.
This will help him from getting stressed. Offer him treats after a few days at his cage door and be sure to praise him.