PDA

View Full Version : Carefresh Confetti?

Robodwarfs18
05-08-2015, 08:04 AM
I'm going to the pet store later to get new substrate and I'm thinking about getting Carefresh confetti. If anyone could please reply with the good and bad things about Carefresh confetti then that would be great!

Thanks!

racinghamster
05-08-2015, 08:26 AM
I`ve never used Carefresh Confetti but I don`t like Carefresh as a product. If your currently using wood shavings, is your hamster okay on these? If your in the US or not in the UK, aspen shavings are safe. In the UK, shavings are usually european spruce. The best way to use shavings is to remove them from the packing and break them up into an open bin container and air them off a month before using them. This allows air to get into the shavings and giving the shavings a good shake about outside with your hands also helps release any fine dust.

I only mention this because switching substrates can cause a hamster to start sneezing if they are fine on what they are currently on. Carefresh is not entirely dust free. Fitch (in the UK) is a much better alternative. x

EmilyS_79
05-08-2015, 08:47 AM
There is really nothing different about CareFresh Confetti than other CareFresh Colors. They are safe and made with hamster safe dyes. CareFresh can be dusty but not always. I use the confetti and it works perfectly fine for me. My hamsters seem to love it and it contains the odor very well. I mix mine with Aspen Wood Shavings, Timothy Hay, Kaytee Clean and Cozy and they seem to like it. Mixing it is easy on the wallet and is more enriching to them.

Robodwarfs18
05-08-2015, 08:53 AM
There is really nothing different about CareFresh Confetti than other CareFresh Colors. They are safe and made with hamster safe dyes. CareFresh can be dusty but not always. I use the confetti and it works perfectly fine for me. My hamsters seem to love it and it contains the odor very well. I mix mine with Aspen Wood Shavings, Timothy Hay, Kaytee Clean and Cozy and they seem to like it. Mixing it is easy on the wallet and is more enriching to them.

Thank you so much. I think it's a good idea that you mix substrates and I think I'm going to do that too! X

Shannonmcn
05-08-2015, 09:36 AM
I liked carefresh confetti when I used it too, I actually just ordered another bag yesterday! I haven't noticed it being dusty buy if you (or your ham) is sensitive to dust it might be a problem since that's something I've heard quite a lot.

I would look into Fitch or other bulk-buy paper based substrates tho, simply because of the price. Carefresh is pretty expensive and if I wasn't outside the mainland UK there's no way I'd be spending £6 a bag no matter how cute the colours are!

Scarlett Empress
05-08-2015, 09:43 AM
I do think it's a lot of money, I was only going to use it in one part of the cage - but my hamster kicked it all out of that part! I tried again, mixing it with shavings, which I thought looked nicer actually - again, she kicked it out, and dug in plain shavings instead!

So, it's off my shopping list now as my hamster seems to disapprove of it...I don't know what's she's got against it though.

Hamsterlover91
05-10-2015, 02:27 AM
I use carefresh and colour are safe for hamsters. I air mine out all day when am changing Rinaos substrate

Fluffagrams
05-10-2015, 12:32 PM
I've been using Carefresh Natural since Meat started coughing and developed eye irritation and he's been much better with it than he was on shavings however Carefresh isn't right for everyone and some people still find it to be quite dusty.

I bought some Carefresh Confetti the other day as it was on offer somewhere and I had a money off voucher so I thought I'd put a bit of prettiness in May's cage. It's got less of an unusual smell to it than the Natural, however you get less in a bag and so it can work out more expensive.