PDA

View Full Version : Getting another Syrian

WinnieTheHam
05-03-2015, 04:24 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty excited because i might be getting another hamster. There was an add on Gumtree in my area and they're scared of him/her! I don't know what sex it is, but i really don't mind. He/she looks like a long haired yellow banded but the picture isn't clear.

I haven't told my mum yet, i'm 19 so i can basically do whatever i want, but i don't think she'll be happy about it! I don't really care though cause all i want to do is make hamsters happy :)

Im trying to find a good large cage with a deep base, My other ham is in a 4ft tank, and im going to feel pretty bad if i don't give this other hamster the same amazing life that Winston has, but i don't have room for another 4ft tank! Im trying to find a cage for about £30 - £45

Feel free to recommend a cage! and i'll keep you all updated.

WinnieTheHam
05-18-2015, 06:13 AM
Change of plan!

I have bought a guinea pig cage which i'm going to mesh all around so the new ham won't be able to escape through the wide bar spacing. Also bought a bunch of accessories and wheel. The cage measures 95cm x 60cm x 45cm (L x D x H) So there's loads of floor space!

I will be getting one of the little cuties from LeedsGurl's Current litter and i can't explain how excited i am!

I'll keep you all updated!

RedSky
05-18-2015, 06:54 AM
Congrats! I would love one of LeedsGurl's hammies, but our house is a bit full. Maybe in the future... I can hope can't I.

Looking forwards to lots of pictures and updates on the little one once you get him/her settled.

WinnieTheHam
05-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Congrats! I would love one of LeedsGurl's hammies, but our house is a bit full. Maybe in the future... I can hope can't I.

Looking forwards to lots of pictures and updates on the little one once you get him/her settled.

I'd love to have a house full of hammies! I'll only be able to when i get my own place, which won't be in another 4+ years due to education :( we can all hope! haha :)

DrKMcK
05-18-2015, 07:12 AM
Believe me Winnie, when the day comes that you have your own place it is a great feeling to be able to make decisions like that. But for now, being able to have a new baby ham, especially from a Hamster Central bred hammy is just fantastic. Having a new baby ham about will also take some of the focus off of Winston's troubles so you won't fret as much. :-D

WinnieTheHam
05-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Believe me Winnie, when the day comes that you have your own place it is a great feeling to be able to make decisions like that. But for now, being able to have a new baby ham, especially from a Hamster Central bred hammy is just fantastic. Having a new baby ham about will also take some of the focus off of Winston's troubles so you won't fret as much. :-D

I'm very excited for when the day comes! :) Definitely, I'm very excited. That is also what i thought! I think it's a good idea to get one now rather than later :) Winston seems to be eating again - i saw him pouch a load of food last night! so i'm happy about that.

DrKMcK
05-18-2015, 07:29 AM
Good for Winston! I saw his new thread. I can definitely see why you picked him. He was such a gorgeous little baby ham. :-D

katmick
05-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Looking forward to see photos of your new hammie! :) You are really good owner, trying to give the best possible life for your hams.

I know what you mean about wanting to fill your house with hamsters, but trust me two is plenty and at least you can give them lot more attention that they need. More money and time spent on two hammies, means more spoiling and more cuddles for two of them! :)

I am really happy for you though, your excitement is infectious! And the ham is from well bred HC family ! :) x

racinghamster
05-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Really excited for you Winnie. A baby Syrian will keep you on your toes! Sometimes it`s good to have another hamster when you have another that is older or like Winston, has an on going condition. Good luck with the cage meshing! x

WinnieTheHam
05-18-2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks DrKMcK, He really was and still is! :D Thank you katmick it's so nice to hear that from someone! That's very true, Double the love and more money for spoiling them! I probably say i'm excited way too much but i guess that shows how excited i am! haha :D It definitely will be racinghamster Thanks! i'm sure it's going to be a challenge.

Thin Lizzy
05-19-2015, 09:52 PM
So great to hear this! Are you going to do before and after pics of your guinea pig cage?
It's really exciting to get a baby ham, you've got plenty of love for 2.

WinnieTheHam
05-20-2015, 01:26 AM
So great to hear this! Are you going to do before and after pics of your guinea pig cage?
It's really exciting to get a baby ham, you've got plenty of love for 2.

Yeah i will :D It's going to be here today so i'll mesh it on the weekend when i have more time.

These are the accessories i bought as well as the cage:

Willow Tunnel
Ceramic Food Bowl
Nibble Grass (just ordinary grass to grow for the hammies)
Hanging Bridge
Wicker Bridge
Wonderland Wooden Exercise Wheel
Natural Grass Hammock

The cage comes with a hut, water bottle and bowl. I also have lots of cardboard tubes and a plastic tube that i'll use for the new ham.

Does anyone recommend anything else? :)

Thin Lizzy
05-21-2015, 03:06 AM
It's sounding wonderful with what you've got so far!

WinnieTheHam
05-22-2015, 10:18 AM
The cage is HUGE! I'm in the process of meshing it, taking me hours! although i've almost complete it. I'm making sure there's no sharp bits pointing into the cage, but i'm worried about that, does anyone know a way i can guard the edges off?

I'll post some pictures when i have finished it.

Scarlett Empress
05-22-2015, 11:09 AM
It sounds like this is going to be a wonderful hammy home! I was eyeing up my sister's indoor rabbit cages, she has two that we used to temporarily house the buns when we moved house and she keeps them for emergency use, they are enormous so I can imagine your guinea pig cage must be pretty much the same kind of size!

WinnieTheHam
05-23-2015, 02:23 AM
So i have completed the meshing and i have set everything up! It looks great and i'm really excited for the new ham. They won't be ready in another 2 - 3 weeks (i think, i haven't asked) This cage has a very deep base which is great for deep substrate, i would have put more in but i ran out of Megazorb.

The meshing was such hard work, my hands are really sore today from doing it. I have made sure no spiked bits are sticking into the cage, there's a few at the top seems but i'm hoping the ham won't climb up to the top and poke their nose out, but i'll just have to wait and see. Here are some pictures:

This is the cage all laid out, it came with everything in the picture (and a bottle) It is so big!
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt355/xXtoffeappleXx/DSC_0227_zpsxiwentcz.jpg

I set it up to get a better understanding to how big is actually was.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt355/xXtoffeappleXx/DSC_0228_zpsxrtfzgb5.jpg

This is the technique i used to bind the mesh onto the frame of the cage. I folded the bits that are sticking out around the outside bar, making sure no bits stick inwards.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt355/xXtoffeappleXx/DSC_0230_zpsyssm0xmb.jpg?t=1432286566

This is the final result.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt355/xXtoffeappleXx/DSC_0231_zps7y8xq6pz.jpg

Here is what it looks like inside the cage
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt355/xXtoffeappleXx/DSC_0233_zpsgdjegr6a.jpg
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt355/xXtoffeappleXx/DSC_0234_zpskiu21zgi.jpg?t=1432286425

Do you think a Guinea pig sized bottle is okay for a little hamster? I have a spare one i could use if not.

Mweekie
05-23-2015, 02:25 AM
Wow! That cage and accessories look brilliant :) Any Syrian would want to live like that...as would I lol :P

Mweekie xx

WinnieTheHam
05-23-2015, 02:31 AM
Wow! That cage and accessories look brilliant :) Any Syrian would want to live like that...as would I lol :P

Mweekie xx

Thank you! I'm very happy how it's turned out :)

Thin Lizzy
05-23-2015, 04:42 AM
Well Winnie you deserve a pat on the back, what a transformation!
I absolutely love it!

Coco61
05-23-2015, 05:19 AM
What a lot of work but it looks well worth it! Well done. As for the size of bottle- the only thing that would worry me is being able to keep an eye on drinking. Because the bottle is bigger it will be harder to see the level dropping when a ham drinks so little.

Miss kiwi
05-23-2015, 05:33 AM
Haha I just did this too! I'm 19 as well and wanted another Dwarf hamster so I just went out and bought everything last week and kept it in my car. Then I went and picked him up yesterday while she wasn't home. I let him settle in then when she came home from work I told her that I needed her to see something in my room. She thought I had a tattoo or something lol. Needless to say she wasn't very impressed bahaha

Scarlett Empress
05-23-2015, 09:50 AM
The cage looks great, I can imagine it must have been very hard work getting the mesh all bent round safely, that stuff is tough!

WinnieTheHam
05-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Well Winnie you deserve a pat on the back, what a transformation!
I absolutely love it!

Thank you! haha. It was worth it and i really can't wait for the little Mink girl i'll be getting from LeedsGurl, so excited!

What a lot of work but it looks well worth it! Well done. As for the size of bottle- the only thing that would worry me is being able to keep an eye on drinking. Because the bottle is bigger it will be harder to see the level dropping when a ham drinks so little.

It really was worth it! i was looking forward to doing it all week :) That's true, i'll probably see how it goes. It's right next to my bed and i usually hear Winston drinking so i'm sure i'll hear this one too :)

Haha I just did this too! I'm 19 as well and wanted another Dwarf hamster so I just went out and bought everything last week and kept it in my car. Then I went and picked him up yesterday while she wasn't home. I let him settle in then when she came home from work I told her that I needed her to see something in my room. She thought I had a tattoo or something lol. Needless to say she wasn't very impressed bahaha

I told my mum and she wasn't bothered! thank god! haha. She usually says no to more pets but ever since i got Winston i think she trusts me more now :)

The cage looks great, I can imagine it must have been very hard work getting the mesh all bent round safely, that stuff is tough!

Thank you! It took me 7 hours! was hard work having some plyers bending them round and round again and again! was definitely worth it though.

hyunkyong87
05-24-2015, 12:31 AM
i'm very happy for your second hamster ^_^ I can't wait to see his/her pictures

maebh06
05-24-2015, 01:42 AM
Can't wait to see the pictures :)

WinnieTheHam
05-24-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm very happy too and i can't wait either! The babies aren't ready for another 3 weeks yet but i like to be well prepared! haha :) You can see pictures of them here http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/breeding-hamsters/59725-amaisies-30-04-2015-gus-maisie-9.html#post727489

I'll be getting a Mink girl and i'm thinking of calling her Myrcella (from game of thrones) soooo excited!! :D

I've added some plastic and cardboard tubes, Willow sticks and some gnaw blocks into the cage.

Mweekie
05-24-2015, 12:43 PM
"I told my mum and she wasn't bothered! thank god! haha. She usually says no to more pets but ever since i got Winston i think she trusts me more now :smile: "

Lol - have to laugh at this as I think my Mum has now given up even trying telling me off for getting another animal in the house...and I still live under her roof lol. I think that she definitely trusts me with animals...even if she thinks that some of the suggested ideas etc. that I have come up with lately are strange (in her opinion) lol.

I am looking forward to seeing your little Mink addition though and definitely want pictures when she arrives.

Mweekie xx

WinnieTheHam
05-24-2015, 01:22 PM
I'll definitely post loads of pictures as soon as she's settled! :)