PDA

View Full Version : Researching for new hamster - Few questions please

Mweekie
05-01-2015, 12:21 PM
A few weeks ago, I asked Mum if I could get another hamster and she said maybe when Romeo has passed on...that was until earlier on in Pets At Home lol.

I was getting some wood shavings and food for Romeo and just happened to look into the hamster cages in both the main and the adopted section and as I was looking, Mum rang me. I was talking to her when I saw a little cream/white Syrian came sleepily wandering towards the glass front where I was standing and (naturally) I squealed as it was cute...Mum asked why I was squealing and I explained. Very unnaturally for my Mum she said "Awww!" and then I asked if I could get one, and she said that when I have got my new e-reader, tablet (next week) and paid for a weekend break I am going on with Mum and Dad (end of June - but will be paid in the next 2 weeks lol) then yes I can get a new one!

I am hoping to get a female Syrian and have already chosen, Lily, for the name. The reason for the name Lily, is that my Grandma's middle name was Lilian, but my Grandma passed away 3 years ago on Tuesday just gone, so I have thought the name Lily would be nice in memory of her.

I know I have had hamsters before, and they were cared for brilliantly, but I was wondering if I could ask a few questions first:

Cages.

As I am currently out of cages, I am now on the scout for a new one and I am definitely liking the Alexander Cage, but I was wondering what were the other cages that people like using?

Also, what is the best way to set up the Alexander Cage?
I am guessing there are instructions, but being the blonde that I am (no offense to other blondes), I get confused about them.

I have been reading about Plastikote (sp) on here and was wondering how many coats of it would I need for the wooden shelves?

With the houses and shelves, do they have to stay in one place or can you move them around to your own liking?

Accessories.

If I do get the Alexander Cage - what size Wooden wheel would be best to use for Lily, and would fit in the Alexander Cage without causing problems for the cage itself, or Lily?

I have never used a Silent Spinner before, but read some good stuff on them on here, but was wondering if there was a right age for Lily to be able to use it, or will she be fine as soon as she sees it?

OK - I know that I have asked some (probably) very basic and beginner questions, even though I have kept hamsters and gerbils for years, but because I had to throw out all the stuff I had for them (before I adopted Romeo), I wanted to start the search for the right things before I do go out and get Lily.

Hope I haven't bored you all

Mweekie xx

Pebbles82
05-02-2015, 12:59 AM
Not at all (bored us all)! Very sensible of you. I don't have an Alexander but there are plenty of people who do who can advise you as to set up. I think it's a great choice and might get one myself when I upgrade Charlie.

It's one of the ones I would recommend, along with the Barney cage which is the same size but a bit lower and only one shelf and £20 cheaper. If it's for a syrian you'd be best getting an 11" or 12" wheel - bigger is better and no chance of their back bending - even when they're small and young they can use it and you never know how big they are going to grow - our hamster grew so big he's the size of a small rat lol!

I believe the wheel fits under one of the shelves, if you have the shelves a bit higher, or between the two large shelves if you want them a bit lower (missing out the middle section of shelving) - in the Alexander. In the Barney you can put it where you want basically.

There have been a couple of threads on wheels recently. I had the Karlie Wonderland Bogie Wheel and have always recommended it, but it does need plastikoting and checking for splinters before use (due to occasional problems with splinters recently). If you want a really really good wood wheel and can spend a bit on it this one (also from Germany like the Karlie bogie wheel) is one of the best available - no splinter worries but would still need plastikoting and would fit better in the Barney than the Alexander. It's hardwood. Euro price converted to GBP is about £29 and their postage charge is about £7 (slightly higher postage than ordering in the Uk but might be worth it). Some people have said the Pets at Home Wood wheel is good too, but not sure if it is just the Karlie Bogie wheel rebranded. To translate the page, I use google translate and just copy and paste the whole page onto it.

Ø 32 cm (Höhe 38-50 cm) Rodipet® Premium Holzlaufrad (Laufräder) - Rodipet® Heimtierzubehör Shop (http://www.rodipet.de/shop/laufraeder/32-cm-hoehe-38-50-cm-rodipet-premium-holzlaufrad.html)

I wouldn't recommend the Silent Spinner - the small, dwarf hamster sized one is supposed to be ok but the large 12" one is really large, there's nothing in between size-wise and the large one seems to have issues at the moment due to a recent change in design apparently. I ordered one recently and found it didn't spin that well.

A good plastic one is the Wodent wheel, which is hard to get hold of but the sugarglider shop sells them (and so does the Rodipet German site from the link above, if you look under the wheel section - they have a much bigger choice of colours). They do a 27cm one, which takes up less space than a lot of the other larger wheels. This would fit easily in either of the cages and can also be hung upside down from the roof.

11" Wodent Wheel (Senior) & Free Tail Guard (http://sugarglidershop.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=122)

As to how to set up the Alexander shelves and houses how you want, the answer is yes and I'm sure people will come on and give tips on this, but the main thing is setting it up so there isn't too high a drop from the top of the cage, through the gap between the shelves and there are various ways of getting round this. The Barney is probably simpler to set up and a bit lower, but then you do get a kind of extra racetrack with the Alexander.

Mweekie
05-02-2015, 02:49 AM
Thanks Serendipity for your help and information.

Lol. I am now stuck between the Alexander Cage and the Barney Cage as I have had a look at the Barney cage and I do like it. One of the reasons why I like it is because of not having to move shelves etc. to accommodate the wheel. I am guessing you can get something or other to put in the middle of the cage if you had a very adventurous climbing hamster and it drops (don't worry I will be putting in a load of wood shavings so hopefully the fall wont be too drastic).

I like the wheels on the Sugar Glider website (and in fact the other things for gliders looked good for hamsters as well lol), but I think I will stick to wooden wheels as I have had them before and I've never had a problem with them before, I just wasn't sure how to put them in the Alexander cage, but again you have helped me out with that query as well.

Thank you for the Silent Spinner info. As I said I really wasn't sure about them as I have never used or even seen one (and if I had then I took no notice of it lol).

I know I have a great reply from you, but I was wondering what other people's opinions were, so please feel free to add your own answers here as well. Any information is greatly received and appreciated.

Mweekie xx

littlescruffies
05-02-2015, 03:59 AM
Hi, I've got the old smaller barney in my shed(not used it). Just wanted to say the house and shelves are left for you to put together and put where you want them. I've had quite a few wooden shelves off eBay which are already cut and drilled with screws and washers.
Now the barney is the same size as the alexander, I would choose the barney as having a flat top you could stack cages if you want more!
If you're going to use plastikote, make sure it's the water based one. I made the mistake of ordering off amazon and it was oil based, so couldn't use it. 2 coats should be enough. I used 1 pot for a large Karlie wheel and 2 small shelves. This time I've chosen to paint my new wheel 2 different colours though! :)

Mweekie
05-02-2015, 04:55 AM
Thanks Littlescruffies for your help, and if you lived nearer to me I would have bought your Barney cage off from you lol.

I will definitely make sure that the Plastikote is a water based and not oil based one.

Mweekie xx

Pebbles82
05-02-2015, 06:19 AM
That's a good point about the Plastikote! I bought the one in the link below (haven't used it yet) - it doesn't say if it is water or oil based. Is it the right one?!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NVL1PEU/ref=asc_df_B00NVL1PEU24962632?smid=A1HVFGS3RZAE8D&tag=pgmp-21-748-21&linkCode=df0&creative=22222&creativeASIN=B00NVL1PEU

I agree with littlescruffies about the Barney - the flat top is more practical in many ways and many people end up with only one or two shelves in the Alexander anyway.

Not sure if you're into diy but I'd had a thought for the Alexander, with it being higher - to put plexiglass round the inside on 3 sides and a bit on the front so as to put about 25cm deep substrate in, which would lower the effective height of the cage and give deeper substrate for digging (no shelves or just one shelf then though).

cypher
05-02-2015, 08:01 AM
You can just about see in the photo it says water based so that's fine Serendipity.
I generally find you need a couple of coats to give wood a good covering, very thin coats are best. The wood tends to absorb most of the first coat so a second one will give it a proper finish.

Mweekie
05-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks again Serendipity and cypher for your help. I have now ordered the Plastikote from the link that was posted.

I'm not very good at DIY at all so can't do that with the Alexander. I have also gone for the Barney cage as I feel that a wheel would be more beneficial than more shelving for a hamster, in my own personal opinion.

Another question if I may, I've always used hay for bedding with no problems, but I was wondering if maybe changing over to paper flakes (not that revolting fluffy wool or paper stuff), might be a good idea. What do you think?

I'm probably going to have a few more questions, but they've flew out of my head due to Romeo's passing....which is why I am getting more focused on getting Lily.

Mweekie xx

cypher
05-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Do you mean paper flakes for bedding or substrate? I do occasionally add a bit of hay to the cage but really don't like the idea it may bring mites in & get really fed up taking the sharp bits out! I just use shredded toilet tissue for bedding & my favourites for substrate are Fitch & hemp.
I think the Barney's a good choice btw & totally agree about a wheel being far more important then shelves, you can always buy smaller bolt on shelves if you want them later.

Mweekie
05-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Sorry lol. I should have said that the paper flakes was for the bedding not as a full substrate. I will be using wood shavings again and I have got back in contact with the guy I used to go to whose wood shavings are kiln dried, dust extracted and nice and big and definitely not sand like *shudders*.

I've not heard of Fitch or have used hemp either, so not sure what they are exactly.

Mweekie xx

cypher
05-02-2015, 09:21 AM
If you just want it for bedding I wouldn't bother buying paper flakes then just use toilet tissue, probably a lot cheaper & they love it!
Fitch is recycled paper Fitch Recycling - Fitch Pet Bedding (http://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fitch-pet-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html) & you can get hemp from zooplus Hemp Bedding for Small Pet | Great Deals at zooplus! (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hay_and_bedding/hemp_bedding_small_pets)

Pebbles82
05-03-2015, 01:35 AM
Fitch is basically the same as Carefresh but better lol. It's way cheaper and no dust. You can buy it in bulk from Cypher's link. When I started using it I introduced it gradually, mixing it in with the pine shavings at each cage clean, and Charlie would pick it all out and use it for his nest lol, because it is basically like scrunched up toilet paper that has got wet and dried out in little soft balls. He ignored the strips of paper bedding I put in after that.

I agree about the hay - I wouldn't use it as substrate - if you wanted to add some for bedding I would put it in the freezer for 48 hours first to kill off anything that might be living in it. I'm always worried about spiky ends poking their eyes with hay. But Rosewood naturals do some good treat sticks with herbs and flowers - Charlie loves the dandelion ones, so I get those so he's getting herbage that way.

Leila0420
05-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Hi Mweekie, I have the Barney cage. I've attached a couple of photos below showing how I set it up and then after I put her larger wheel in.
I'd say the pros are: it's incredibly big, a good height for fitting in large wheels, traditional shape is good for stacking/ fitting onto a shelf, the bars are nice if your Lily ends up being a bit of a climber, plenty of room for toys and you get a free starter wheel with it.
Cons would be: because the top wire section is quite heavy I struggle to get it on and off on my own, you don't get a water bottle or food bowl with it so you'll need to buy them separately, the ladder is a bit steep even if you have the platform low down and if you don't buy additional platforms I would worry that Lily might climb up and accidentally fall down and hurt herself (an unbroken 45cm drop seems quite scary to me).
That's all I can think of for now. I'd recommend the cage... But even though it's cheaper than the Alexander I've ended up spending at least £40 extra on it buying additional platforms, the wheel and digging tower etc.
Hope that's helpful!!

Mweekie
05-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Fitch is basically the same as Carefresh but better lol. It's way cheaper and no dust. You can buy it in bulk from Cypher's link. When I started using it I introduced it gradually, mixing it in with the pine shavings at each cage clean, and Charlie would pick it all out and use it for his nest lol, because it is basically like scrunched up toilet paper that has got wet and dried out in little soft balls. He ignored the strips of paper bedding I put in after that.

I agree about the hay - I wouldn't use it as substrate - if you wanted to add some for bedding I would put it in the freezer for 48 hours first to kill off anything that might be living in it. I'm always worried about spiky ends poking their eyes with hay. But Rosewood naturals do some good treat sticks with herbs and flowers - Charlie loves the dandelion ones, so I get those so he's getting herbage that way.

Thanks Serendipity, I'm still unsure about Fitch, but I might just buy one bag of it and see what Lily will think of it. I was thinking about getting Lily some of the Rosewood Naturals treat sticks as well. Even though I haven't even got Lily yet I still have to call her by her actual name lol.

Hi Mweekie, I have the Barney cage. I've attached a couple of photos below showing how I set it up and then after I put her larger wheel in.
I'd say the pros are: it's incredibly big, a good height for fitting in large wheels, traditional shape is good for stacking/ fitting onto a shelf, the bars are nice if your Lily ends up being a bit of a climber, plenty of room for toys and you get a free starter wheel with it.
Cons would be: because the top wire section is quite heavy I struggle to get it on and off on my own, you don't get a water bottle or food bowl with it so you'll need to buy them separately, the ladder is a bit steep even if you have the platform low down and if you don't buy additional platforms I would worry that Lily might climb up and accidentally fall down and hurt herself (an unbroken 45cm drop seems quite scary to me).
That's all I can think of for now. I'd recommend the cage... But even though it's cheaper than the Alexander I've ended up spending at least £40 extra on it buying additional platforms, the wheel and digging tower etc.
Hope that's helpful!!

Thanks Leila0420 for the information and photos of the Barney Cage. I am definitely set on getting one for Lily now. I don't mind the fact that it doesn't have a water bottle or food bowls as I like to get them separately anyway. I also don't mind how much I have to spend on Lily, because even though I haven't got her yet, I know she will be spoilt here lol.

Your hamster is gorgeous and definitely looks like a cheeky little thing lol.

Mweekie xx

Leila0420
05-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks Mweekie, she's called Pumpkin and is lovely! I can send you links for the platforms I got for her if you like? Oh and the box the Barney cage comes in is quite good for a play pen. Either way it would be lovely to see some photos of Lily when you get her :) Enjoy cage shopping!!! ;)

Mweekie
05-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Awww I like the name Pumpkin.

I hadn't thought about using the box as a playpen...thanks for that :).

I'll definitely be setting up a thread for Lily when I get her. I don't even know what colour she's going to be yet lol.

Mweekie xx

Pebbles82
05-03-2015, 12:16 PM
I love your set up Leila - especially what you have done with the grass hammock and the racetrack of degus shelves! I might have to steal that idea lol. You could pile the substrate up higher in various areas to help cushion any falls - just a thought. It doesn't have to raise the height of some of the items in the cage, it can just kind of pile up around them, or if it piles up to cover the door of the house you could put a cardboard tube under the substrate leading to the house maybe. Like you I have (or had!) the wheel at one end and the substrate had to be low there, but I sloped it up away from the wheel so it fills the base at the front and sides - they love burrowing in it.

Mweekie
05-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Brilliant ideas Serendipity - thank you :D.

Mweekie xx

Leila0420
05-03-2015, 01:45 PM
My mum named her cos I couldn't decide, it suits her :)

They are good ideas Serendipity! I might slope it up in the areas where I know she jumps and maybe add a layer of toilet roll (I reckon having toilet roll as substrate must feel like walking on clouds!) The grass hammock is brilliant (my bf says he thinks it looks really comfy) but it's really hard to clean. All her little poops fall into the crack between the strands of hay. I actually attached one of the long hanging bridges length ways across the back of the cage behind her wheel to complete the racetrack!

Mweekie
05-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Love the ideas Serendipity.

Right well so far the stuff I have now bought are:

Food bowl
Water bottle
Carry Case
Storage box for keeping food in
Wood shavings - from a local guy who I trust and have done for many years.

Stuff I still need to buy:

Barney Cage
Wonderland Wheel
Lily the hamster herself lol

Stuff I am still thinking about:

Toys - wooden (not plastic)
Treats - as natural as possible

Not sure what else I need to buy, so if anyone can add to my list then I would really appreciate it.

Mweekie xx

cypher
05-08-2015, 11:32 PM
You could add to that litter tray, sand bath, chinchilla sand, maybe something like the sea grass tunnel as a hideout play place......
You're getting well prepared already!

Mweekie
05-09-2015, 02:08 AM
Thanks cypher for these. Now added to my list :)

I'm hoping to get Lily within the next month or so as I must admit, since Romeo has gone, it's really quiet in my room without him, even with 6 other animals who barely make a sound (unless Inca's redecorating her Vivarium again lol).

Just a case of saving and getting things as and when I can

Mweekie xx

cypher
05-09-2015, 03:12 AM
I never realise how aware of my hams I am until they've gone so I can imagine how empty it must seem without Romeo, keep up the saving you're nearly there!

Leila0420
05-09-2015, 09:17 AM
I hope all the planning is keeping your mind off missing Romeo at least a little bit Mweekie :)
If you're looking for cheaper, possibly temporary options while you save, then for a sand bath I use an old take away tub, which Pumpkin doesn't seem to chew on, or look on gumtree etc. for second hand doggy food bowls etc. You can use old pringle tubs for tubes (although as well as cleaning and topping and tailing them I also strip the inner foil type paper off too just in case) and cardboard boxes are good for extra houses/ hiding places lol.
If you want to add extra layers to the cage then you can use the natural wood Hanging Bridges that you can buy from zooplus (if that's where you're getting the cage) for only a few pounds. I have 3 in Pumpkin's cage and they are almost the perfect length from the front to the back of the cage. Also the Natural Grass Hammock they sell is cheap too and you can convert it into a platform pretty easily (although you might need to thread new string through to change the height).

Oh and bedding is missed off your list?
Millet is a good natural treat :) And dog biscuits too (there's a carrot based dog biscuit they sell at pets at home that Pumpkin seems to love)

Leila0420
05-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Also how do snakes redecorate??

Mweekie
05-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Also how do snakes redecorate??

Lol had to answer this question first - Inca has a habit of knocking the stuff of shelves and things - it's her way of saying she either doesn't like it there or is demanding attention lol.

Going back to the post above - again thank you and I was wondering what I could use for a sand bath the other day, but couldn't for the life of me remember what I could put the sand into lol. Cardboard boxes come very frequently into my house so that's definitely not hard to find.

I can also see Zooplus becoming a total godsend to me (as well as the £25 of Pets at Home vouchers I have just received ( http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/miscellaneous-chat/59810-bonus-p-h-vouchers-d.html#post723786 ) as the stuff on there looks brilliant for hamsters (and other animals). I remember getting my Karlie Wonderland Wheel from there for Chaos when I had her a few years ago.

And yes, the planning for Lily is definitely helping me take my mind off from Romeo - thank you :)

Mweekie xx

Pebbles82
05-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I would add this to the list, having wasted loads of money on toys for Charlie - he really liked this because it tempts him a bit lol

This carrot log roll kept Charlie busy for months. First he chewed all the bark off it, and spent hours getting the carrot out of the middle (he never did get all of it out) and chewing at the wood to get at it - plus standing on it occasionally lol.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Boredom-Breaker-Natural-Woodroll/dp/B000ZT07EK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431199028&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=carrot+log+roll

He also likes the Rosewood dandelion treat sticks.

Maybe a rat sized sputnik? I lined ours with a hemp mat at the bottom and he likes sitting in it.

Mweekie
05-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks Serendipity - added carrot roll and treat sticks to the list. I've been seeing the word "Sputnik" around and still wondering what on earth it is lol?!?!

Mweekie xx

Pebbles82
05-09-2015, 02:14 PM
It hangs from the roof of the cage :) Although you can stand them upside down on the floor of the cage as well. The hamster one is a bit small for Syrians, so the rat size one is good for syrians. When I got mine I thought it was massive! But once it was hanging in the cage it didn't look so big. Charlie likes it because it is something between him and the top of the cage, so he sits under it and in it, but he has definitely liked it more since I cut a circle of hemp mat to put in the bottom. The only thing is you need to make sure there's a soft landing under the holes in the side. I have a tube at one side, tied to the roof, so he can climb out of the sputnik, through the tube and onto the house roof.

Nobby Sputnik, Extra-Large, 29 x 26 x 19 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobby-Sputnik-Extra-Large-29-26/dp/B0037XQ8X0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431205588&sr=8-1&keywords=rat+sputnik)

It's the big pink purple round thing near the front of Charlie's cage. The first pic is before I added the tube and the hemp mat liner. I have the smaller sputnik too, because it came with the cage, but he only just fits in it, whereas he can lie down in the big one. I use the small one to put his veg in! The other good thing about the bigger one is it hangs lower so less of a fall if they jump.

Mweekie
05-09-2015, 02:23 PM
That is really cool and thanks to Charlie for demonstrating how to use it :)

Mweekie xx

Mweekie
05-14-2015, 11:30 AM
OK so the list is now:

Already got

Barney Cage
Karlie Wonderland Wheel - 29cm
Red Sticky Back Plastic - changing outside of cage from blue to red
2 x small bowls - 1 for dry food, 1 for veg/fruit
Hamster Ball - will throw away if Lily doesn't like it
Water Bottle
1 x Bendy Bridge - will get more if necessary
3 x Tube Chubes
2 x bags of Paper Flakes - will be making my own soon
1 x bag of Harry Hamster - will get more when I need too
3 x bag of woodshavings - pine and dust extracted
Carry Case

Still need to get

1 x largish bowl (for sand bath)
Chinchilla Sand
Treats - will get some on the day I get Lily
Toys - will get some when I get Lily

I think that is pretty much it now, unless anyone can think of something else I have missed?

Hoping to get Lily NEXT WEEK!!!! God I am so excited!!! :D

Mweekie xx

littlescruffies
05-15-2015, 04:18 AM
Ooo exciting!

I was hoping to get a boy, but ended up adopting a girl from a rescue. She hadn't been there long. Now my daughter's called her Lily! :)

cypher
05-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Looks like you're really well prepared now, can't think of anything you missed & the excitement is palpable lol! I'm really pleased for you, I'm sure next week can't come soon enough! :)
There are quite a few things that make good sand baths other than just a bowl (they tend to kick a lot out!) a large glass jar is a good alternative, if you can find any have a look at salt pigs, one of mine has a smallish one & he loves it, I'm sure most of the ones I saw were a lot bigger & would be great for a syrian.

Mweekie
05-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Littlescruffies - Awww about your daughter naming her hamster the same name :) That's really sweet

Cypher - I'll keep an eye out for a glass jar. Can you tell me what a "salt pig" is though please? I've never heard of it lol.

Mweekie xx

cypher
05-15-2015, 11:43 PM
A salt pig is a large ceramic jar with an opening at the front for keeping salt in, or for hams to have fun in!
They can be really expensive but if you have a google you never know what you might find!

Mweekie
05-16-2015, 12:13 AM
Thanks Cypher - I will look at that as well :)

Mweekie xx

Leila0420
05-16-2015, 06:43 AM
Oh Mweekie I'm really excited for you!! You're really well prepared!

I'd recommend buying some plastikote (a water based enamel paint) to coat the wonderland wheel. I bought a wonderland for Pumpkin and she ended up with cuts allover her paws from splinters in the wood, it was a really horrific experience tbh. Cypher recommended me a really good company for plastikote, have a look here: Enamels Paint (http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/Tiling_&_Decorating-Paints_&_Spray_Paints-Enamels_Paint/c9_209_3123/index.html)

Also if Lily doesn't like her ball, there a thread on here where you can pass on unwanted toys and accessories to other HC members :)

Mweekie
05-16-2015, 07:01 AM
Leila - Aww poor Pumpkin - I had actually read about that on your thread about it and I've already thought about sanding and plastikoting both the wheel and the shelf in the Barney cage. I hadn't realised you can get it in different colours though - so thanks to both you and Cypher for the link.

I'll check out the Marketplace section if Lily doesn't want her ball as well

I've also bought this for Lily as well - http://www.viovet.co.uk/Boredom_Breaker_Woodies_Flower_Garland/c11961/

Mweekie xx

Leila0420
05-16-2015, 07:05 AM
I think they actually sell plastikote in red which might go nicely with your set up ;) They seem to be good quiet wheels for the most part I think they just have a few issues with the quality/ finishing process so hopefully your Lily will be fine in hers :)

Looking forward to seeing some photos of her! Good luck getting her next week!!

cypher
05-17-2015, 03:59 AM
It's really hard to tell what the plastikote colours are like, they do have a colour chart but it's totally inaccurate for the water based colours! I think the only red they do is the Insignia red which is actually quite a dark burgundy so maybe not what you want if you're looking for a true red.
I'm really looking forward to seeing both Lily & her cage now!

Mweekie
05-17-2015, 04:33 AM
Leila - I am going to stick to using clear plastikote which is what I will use on the shelf and wheel of the cage - the outside of the cage (when it arrives) is being covered in red sticky back plastic, and I am using as much red as I can for the accessories.

Cypher - I had a feeling that might be the case - so sticking to the clear plastikote.

Lol - I'm definitely looking forward to setting her cage up and finally getting Lily herself. I have no idea of what colours she will be yet lol xx

Mweekie
05-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Well I tried and failed to turn the outside of my Barney cage from blue to red. It just wasn't working so I gave up in the end.

On the very positive plus side -

Lily is now home safe and sound!!!

I am now going to create a new thread with Lily's story.

Mweekie xx

cypher
05-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Great news, about Lily not failing to change the cage lol!
I'm really pleased for you, & Lily :)

Mweekie
05-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Just put a thread in the Syrian hamster section

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/syrian-hamster/60010-lilys-thread.html#post726548

Mweekie xx