PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking hamster sitter!

Beckie
04-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Hello all!

I'm in desperate need of a hamster sitter whilst I go away for three and a half months during the summer, from June 15th- September 26th! My family are also away in August, so cannot look after little Finn :(. I've tried the hamster sitter thread, but so far haven't had any replies.

I live in Liverpool, but could drive further to drop him off. I will pay for all food/toys/bedding etc. and of course any other costs!

Finn is four months old and he's such a little bundle of joy! He's very tame and although can be quite jumpy when there's a loud noise, he's very friendly once he gets to know you :).

I'm so worried about leaving him with a stranger, but I have a job in the US so there's really nothing I can do. Preferably I would like to leave him with someone who can guarantee him about an hours out of cage time every day (he LOVES his ball) and who will give him lots of cuddles and dote on him as much as I do, however I know beggars can't be choosers.
I would really appreciate some help, don't know what I'm going to do! I'm also going to make a little booklet, so whoever takes him will know his schedule, his likes and dislikes etc (and I wonder why my friend's call me a crazy hamster lady!).
Thanks!

bgfloyd
04-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Sorry Beckie, I would gladly look after Finn for you but I'm quite a way from you, I hope you find someone soon though

Beckie
04-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Thank you very much! If no one closer pipes up, I'll be sure to message you :)

SinNyx
04-29-2015, 02:07 PM
I would also gladly look after him, but I'm afraid, I'm also too far away.

I really hope you find someone experienced to look after him, no doubt, someone on this forum may pop up :)

Thin Lizzy
04-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Got my fingers crossed you find someone xx

Artisans_uk
04-30-2015, 01:32 AM
Hi Beckie - what a dilemma. I wish I could help but as I am away a couple of times during that period, I wouldn't be able to help.

Another possible option for you is to ask you family to look after him, but have someone else for August when the family are away. Someone might be able to offer a home for a shorter period?

I'm away in July and September but I am down in Nottinghamshire, so for the shorter stay you'd need some one closer as you wouldn't be able to take him.

What size cage does Finn have, might help people if the know how much space they would need to have?

I really hope someone is able to help you out with looking after Finn.

Beckie
04-30-2015, 02:41 AM
Hi everyone- thanks for your replies!

I did consider leaving him with my mum- but she doesn't really like him and wont put her hand in his cage when he's awake as she's scared he'll bite her (even though he's never bitten anyone!) so I know she wouldn't play with him at all.

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of his cage, it's pretty big (it's a normal cage on top of a bin cage with a tube connecting them both). If anyone close can offer any help, I'll try and dig out a tape measure so I can be sure of the exact dimensions, but I have one of my university finals tomorrow and I'm in the library at the moment!

Really hoping someone nearby will pop up :)!

littlescruffies
04-30-2015, 03:44 AM
I could possibly take him if you're stuck. I work at a holiday park, so wouldn't be able to guarantee time out everyday as summer is the busiest time.

bbbarker
04-30-2015, 03:51 AM
It's such a shame we don't live closer as I would of gladly taken care of little Finn.
I have my female Syrian Tibbles who is out of her cage every night for about 3 hours in total because she's more for being out of her cage. I live in sheffield so it would be a couple of hours drive for you and your little guy.
Good luck in finding someone to take care of him, when I go on holiday which is not that often since getting Tibbles I will only leave her with my Aunty because she has experience with small animals xxx

Beckie
04-30-2015, 04:33 AM
Again, thank you all for the offers and I'll be sure to get in touch if no one closer offers :).

Wow, three hours a day? I thought I put a lot of time into Finn haha!

souffle
04-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Liverpool to Sheffield is not that far actually beckie so that would be doable for you :)

bbbarker
04-30-2015, 07:54 AM
I put her back in her cage after 25-30 minutes of being out but then 5 minutes later she sits giving me that look as if to say "please let me back out" she's adorable and I can't give into her haha:)

Beckie
04-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone, bbarker I've sent you a message :)

bbbarker
04-30-2015, 11:26 AM
I've just replied:)

Truffle
04-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Hi Beckie, I've just sent you a PM too :)

bgfloyd
04-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Yay hopefully this will get sorted, hamster central is such a good community!

bbbarker
04-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Just had a good chat with Beckie on facebook and we've arranged for Finn to come and stay with me whilst she's away. im looking forward to Finns visit now. We are so lucky to have websites like this with good people on it who are all interested in the same thing:)

Thin Lizzy
04-30-2015, 08:06 PM
bbbarker, you are an angel! Such a relief for Beckie, to know that Finn's in good hands and will get plenty of play time.