PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's not speaking

Pebbles82
03-19-2015, 02:36 PM
I feel really bad - I cleaned out his toilet two nights ago which meant lifting his house out and of course his huge nest collapsed. I shouldn't have done it late at night when I was tired because I left part of the nest outside the house when I put the house back. Charlie was really quite bothered by this and jumped off the end of the house to where the bit of nest was and got stuck down there because he'd squeezed under his lava ledge to get there, then he started digging down to see if he could get under the house so I took something out so he could get out and ended up lifting him out and putting him down by his house entrance. He looked quite stunned to see new bedding outside his house too (again I was tired and didn't mix it into his substrate like a normally do). But he walked into his house then. So last night I left him to settle a bit. Tonight he nabbed the treat out of the tube when I went to get him out, leaving his back legs in the house and backed out of the tube again lol. So I've left him again.

I just feel so mean that I didn't bundle the rest of his nest back inside the house. Will have to do it earlier in the evening in future! It really confused him smelling his nest outside the house.

I'd also hung up a treat stick from the top of the cage near his food bowl, to make up for the disruption and he gave me a "what did you do that for?!" look. He hasn't touched it and clearly prefers treat sticks on the floor of the cage and not invading his air space!

velma
03-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Awwww, poor. Charlie! But he's a big boy, he'll get over it ;)

Pebbles82
03-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks Velma! Yes he'll get over it - but he looked so lost and scared! :( And he's slow to forgive. Maybe I should stop feeding him for a day or too :rolleyes: he'll soon come out and talk then!

velma
03-19-2015, 03:17 PM
My cats are like that. it's like having teenagers "I hate you, you're not my real mum, you can't tell me what to do.... Oooo, treats...love you!" :mad:

Pebbles82
03-19-2015, 04:08 PM
He's even shunning the treat stick! He did nab the apple though. His ears are down. I think I'll need to grovel some more lol.

Shannonmcn
03-19-2015, 07:46 PM
Hams as angsty teens is so perfect.

STOP TOUCHING MY STUFF MUM >:(

Cc just tried to sleep crouching beside her water bottle because I had Ruined Everything by cleaning out her bed! I know it's just her being a drama queen. Charlie hasn't known a day of hardship, he's just pulling on your heartstrings :)

Thin Lizzy
03-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Aww poor Charlie!
I cleaned out Archie a couple of days ago and I confess, I forgot to keep back some of his old bedding and he went nuts! He chewed his cage for over half an hour and I got so upset, I put him in the hall .
He didn't touch his food either, so I gave him some cauliflower cheese baby food and he ignored that too. But, the next day the baby food had been gobbled up. He didn't come out of his house the day after. Even though I apologised several times, it took him another day to forgive me.
Why are hammies so stubborn?

Pebbles82
03-20-2015, 01:40 AM
Thanks Shannon and Thin Lizzy! Yes that analogy is just right! He is definitely stubborn too - this could last a week! I'm definitely thinking of getting a house with a removable roof though so I can clean it out without lifting the house up and his nest falling apart - he used to weave these lovely nests with the paper bedding that didn't fall apart, but since he's started nabbing Fitch for his nest it just collapses! He ignores the paper bedding now (which isn't as soft).

Willow Wisp
03-20-2015, 02:10 AM
I didn't realise how lucky I was lol
I clean litter trays everyday, ok I know the potty litter is supposed to suppress smells but I can smell the ammonia if I leave it for more than a day :( I'm always fiddling in their cages too, cleaning poo from nests, moving and changing toys lol all three of mine just take it all in their stride, non of them has ever sulked.
They are all hyper active females though, I wonder if that's the difference?
We should do a poll to find out if girls are more laid back than boys stress wise :)

Pebbles82
03-20-2015, 02:12 AM
Boys maybe sulk more! Charlie has always been a bit nervy. He's usually fine with the litter tray being sorted, it's the fact that I left part of his nest outside his house! I messed with his bed! Well I didn't, it just fell over and I didn't scoop it all back in properly.

cypher
03-20-2015, 03:06 AM
Poor Charlie & poor you Serendipity! He does put you through it a bit, I think he's out to prove it's not just girls who can be little diva's!
All my boys have been so laid back compared to Mickle (who if it's any consolation is going through a "I'm not talking to you" phase & I haven't even done anything!) so I wonder if syrians are different?!
I'm sure he'll get over it & forgive you soon enough, he just wants to make you suffer a little longer lol!

Pebbles82
03-20-2015, 05:21 AM
I think you're right Cypher. He still gets very nervy about noises and changes and will blame me forever for traumatising him by moving him out of his rotostak lol!