PDA

View Full Version : My new hammy

Skyblue2001
03-09-2015, 06:35 PM
I went out and got a new hamster but low and behold it hisses at me and won't even let me get near it,any suggestions would be very helpful.

becky1412
03-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Just leave the new addition to settle in for a while a week is best but every hammie is different. Roland hissed at everyone in the shops and was apparently a terror before coming home with me and all he got here was time to settle in a regular time out and he's a sweetie. So don't get too worked up about it.
Someone else might have more suggestions but these are mine.
Settling in time, at least 2 days
Regular time out in ball/playpen (Being lifted out cup method or similar to start with)
Taming slowly
Most importantly only tame at a speed your hamster is comfortable with :)
Hope this helps

Thin Lizzy
03-09-2015, 10:45 PM
I'd definitely give her/him a week to settle in. 2 days isn't much.
Stuff some tissues up your sleeves for a couple of hours and put them in the cage so your hammie gets use to your smell and talk softly to it, even if you're hissed at, continue to talk.
Is your hammie a boy or girl?
I'm sure in time he/she will adapt. Everything new, it's a lot to take in.

cypher
03-10-2015, 12:23 AM
Agree with the others, you really do need to give your ham some time to settle, it's a huge change to adjust to coming into a new home so a few days to settle down before you try to interact much at all, the tissue trick & just talking to begin with as Lizzy suggested is the best way to go then take it slowly as your new ham begins to get used to you.

Skyblue2001
03-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Well i have great news.. My little boy has finally let me take him and hold him so i took that time and put him in the ball.He had soo much fun,now he is back in his cage taking a nap.Talk about progress.

Thin Lizzy
03-11-2015, 09:53 PM
What a turnaround! He was obviously scared when you got him home, he's settled in well and you were worried. Look at you now! Mega progress!
Have you got a name for him?