PDA

View Full Version : change of behaviour, live food link?

Gatsby
03-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I've started feeding Odin the odd live cricket and locust. Now Odin was the rather troubled Syrian I bought.
He would screetch, warble, chatter, scratch but never bit so much.
I've spent a fair bit of time talking and training him to climb out the cage on to my hand into the ball.
Alls been going great. I introduced live food which he loves.
I've noticed he's been bar rubbing and scenting a lot but I've just plasticoated the platform a few days ago, I gave it a few days airing so it was bone dry and fairly scent free.

Anyway tonight he was bar rubbing a lot when I was talking to him, I opened the door, he climbed out 2 paws on my hand then jumped back in, I put my hand in to coax him out, in the end I got bit on the back of the thumb and boy did it bleed.

Now there could be various reasons for this, I never washed my hands, I had not long washed them but had handled stuff, not animals.
Kids being noisey

But I'm wondering if giving him live food is causing natural aggression?

If that's the case it should happen with my others. Rigby has nibbled me trying to catch a brown cricket as it escapes but that's it.

I'm not sure what's caused this step backwards, I must of done something to prevoke him, just can't think what.

I know it's daft asking over the net but does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Scott

Gatsby
03-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Just had him out there for a while, hes taking food, climbing out into the ball, let him run about, opened ball, let him out on couch
The difference, and this may seem horrible saying it, the kids are now in bed, they were particularly excited tonight from all the stuff they done up at the farm etc so were pretty noisey.

I'm thinking the stress of the noise? He seems to be pally again with me, who knows???

Gatsby
03-07-2015, 05:15 PM
I've been testing Odin with Scent's from my other hamsters. Odin in his cage. He reacted very aggressively to my hand with Gatsbys scent.
Gatsby is what you could compare a dominant male in a family of apes. He is a fine specimen.
Gatsbys cage is next to my seat I feed him treats, so even though I never handled him I still must of had his scent.

I reckon it was this as I washed my hands and Odin was fine and friendly again. Kinda feel bad thinking it could of been the kids lol.

It just goes to show how sensitive their senses are and that you should ALWAYS wash before and after handling your hamsters.

Just thought it may be of interest for someone to read. There were no problems regarding live food so no concerns there :)

Thin Lizzy
03-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Hamsters can be funny at times! I don't think it's the live food but, it could've been a combination of the kids being noisy/excited and the scent of the other hamster on you.
Twinkle isn't bothered if she can smell Archie on me but, it's the exact opposite with Archie lol!
The bite can be bloody sore. You wouldn't think something so small could cause such pain.

Gatsby
03-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Hamsters can be funny at times! I don't think it's the live food but, it could've been a combination of the kids being noisy/excited and the scent of the other hamster on you.
Twinkle isn't bothered if she can smell Archie on me but, it's the exact opposite with Archie lol!
The bite can be bloody sore. You wouldn't think something so small could cause such pain.

I ken, right on the back of the thumb, hardly any flesh to the bone, man it bled lol, they dont do it for no reason so I knew I must of done something. Tonight hes been great, climbed on to hand, into ball the some free roam on the couch and a couple of small locusts he was a happy chappy you can stroke him very well, some days he's just not interested.
I think its just going to take a bit of time with him, he is lovely though

Thin Lizzy
03-08-2015, 08:44 PM
He sounds like a sweetheart!

Gatsby
03-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Aye he is, a challenging sweetheart but he's obviously a strong minded hamster and knows what he wants.
He sits and watches me all the time with Rigby who I let free roam and Odin has started to not want the ball but to free roam, makes you wonder what goes on in their tiny little heads :)