PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok if my hamster only chews on paper rolls?

XMandaliena1995X
03-01-2015, 01:27 PM
My hamster, Sophy, she is 1 year old, only likes to chew on rolls, paper towel rolls, toilet paper rolls, any roll but she won't chew on her toys. She still has some chew toys that she hasn't played with yet that i bought months ago. So now i keep a box full of rolls for her to chew on every time we ran out of paper. I put 2 rolls in her tank each time. But shouldn't she chew something else? Is it still good for her teeth? I know hamsters chew to trim their teeth.

Nibbler
03-01-2015, 03:00 PM
The inner cardboard tubes? They are fine to chew on. A much cheaper option to wooden chews as well :P

XMandaliena1995X
03-01-2015, 03:11 PM
ok thanks! :D

Candra_Faulkner
03-01-2015, 03:46 PM
I would suggest the cardboard tubes from Petco or Petsmart ...
they tend to come with that dangerous "fluff" inside, so throw that out
if you buy them. They're a very thick, sturdy, hard cardboard and she'd probably
like chewing on them even more, and it may help with her teeth better than the thin
toilet or kitchen rolls.
They'll also last longer, and they like to shred them too.

I would also suggest buying hard treats from a petshop... appropriate to the type of
hamster you have... for dwarfs, try things like Timothy Hay biscuits / Timothy hay biscuits with Carrot. Hard treats that have little to no sugar in them , will definitely help with her teeth. :D
My Syrian likes them too.
With Syrians you can use a wider variety of store bought treats, because they're not
as prone to diabetes. But I still try to stick with healthier treats and raw hamster safe
vegetables.
My hamster doesn't like to chew wood either, though he used to. You could try
to rub a very VERY tinsy amount of peanut butter onto the edges of your wooden chews.
I mean a tiny bit... less than the size of a pea... rub it between your fingers till you
can't really see the peanut butter but know it's there and can smell it... Like a thin residue, just enough to make your wooden chews smell of peanuts....
:D

XMandaliena1995X
03-01-2015, 05:59 PM
ok thank you and I do have the thick cardboard tube that i bought and she loves that and i'll try your other suggestions :)